Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 - thread 5 - baby kicks and scan pics, we're halfway there!

(961 Posts)
dinkystinky Sat 16-Feb-13 20:04:23

New thread to natter on. Will go find the due date thread to link on in a tick...

photographerlady Mon 11-Mar-13 16:13:04

I love logging into MN from work and seeing all the Antenatal clubs... November going strong we aren't the young'ins anymore are we smile

AmaDablam Mon 11-Mar-13 19:56:16

Evening! Wow lots to catch up on after a busy weekend. We had a lovely anniversary night on Friday - the surprise location turned out to be Warwick. I can highly recommend The Lazy Cow where we stayed and ate. Only problem is the speciality, unsurprisingly, is steak, and as far as I'm concerned if you're not allowed to eat it rare, what's the point?! Still DH enjoyed his and my half roast chicken was yummy too smile

Hope all of those who are mummies already had a great day yesterday and enjoyed getting spoiled. I got lots of kicks and a day of not being too bad on the heartburn/indigestion front as my mother's day gift, which was lovely and so exciting to think I'll really be a mum next time around smile

Welcome Josine. I second what others have said about not bothering with maternity knickers but going for the trunk style ones in a size up from normal. I've been living in M&S seamfree ones which are made of that tacitel material. They're super-comfy and have the added bonus of no VPL - great when jeggings have become a wardrobe staple!

Cheese and Guavas I'm another anterior placenta person. I think I started feeling movements at about 17+3 but in retrospect I wonder if I imagined it, as that's pretty early for a first timer, even without the placenta getting in the way. In the past week or so the kicks have definitely been getting a lot stronger - less like windy tummy gurgles and more like little taps and prods. I do notice that they're always either low down or higher up on the right so I suspect my placenta is top-left-front iyswim.

Totally yesterday I noticed something poking out under my top and I realised it was the top edge of my belly button, whilst the inside bit is starting to flatten out. This was a cause of celebration rather than dismay for me - it means my bump is finally starting to grow!

Only 15.5 weeks to go until maternity leave starts! Still seems AGES but far less than when I started counting down. Does anyone have their MATB1 form yet? I need it to be able to hand in my notice and my manager keeps asking about it as she's getting anxious about putting in an ad for my maternity cover. Not sure if I have to actually ask for one or if it's one of those things that just happens....

21+1

dinkystinky Mon 11-Mar-13 20:15:15

Ama glad you had a lovely time away. You should get your mat B1 at your 27 week appt though think vinegar asked for hers earlier.

VinegarDrinker Mon 11-Mar-13 20:22:34

You can get your Mat B1 any time from 20 weeks IIRC, do ask for it. And check your company policy - the NHS policy is you have to hand it in before turning 25 weeks to qualify for maternity pay.

AmaDablam Mon 11-Mar-13 20:34:47

Thanks ladies, I will ask about it. As far as I can tell from my HR policy I only need to give a month's notice in order to qualify for maternity pay, but it's more about me trying to be kind to my team so they don't have a gap between me leaving and someone else starting. They can't advertise for my cover until I've officially given notice and there's quite a bit of red tape (CRB's etc) involved in starting a new post in my line of work so I'm very aware that they need to be getting onto it around now.

Hey everyone. smile

Had my scan today, everything is fine with thing 2, did find out I also have an anterior placenta so I guess this is why I was a bit later feeling movements than a lot of you.

We're team blue.

dinkystinky Mon 11-Mar-13 21:18:25

Congrats on good scan and your blue bump Schro.

Thanks. smile

I really am going to be outnumbered with males in the house soon enough

<sigh>

Hope everyone is well today. smile

Had serious munchies this evening. Didn't realise quite how bad it was until I went to clear up all the wrappers from the different cereal bars etc I was eating. Didn't dare count, but it was fairly obscene. blush

Movements definitely getting stronger. I can sometimes feel little flutters during the day and I don't need to rest my hand on my belly to feel them lying in bed any more (although I like to rest my hand on my bump anyway, to really feel them).

Totally I've mad major munchies for the past week as well. smile

dinkystinky Mon 11-Mar-13 22:36:47

Its the cold making you want to eat! Well that's my excuse and I am sticking to it!

Schro - life surrounded by boys is really rather lovely, I promise.

iclaudius Mon 11-Mar-13 23:35:35

Schro I'm the queen of life surrounded by boys and despite really wanting girls I have ended up one very happy mum! Must be all those darn boys ;)
Love them x

smile I'm sure it will be lovely. Just feel a bit sad that I wont ever have a chance to have a Daughter.

That sounds silly and I will shut up now.

Cheeseandbread Tue 12-Mar-13 04:18:49

It's snowing again on my scan day!

Ama thanks for info on your anterior placenta. I got DH to put his hand in my bump yesterday and he thought he could feel something... He wasn't sure if it was my pulse though. I can feel little prods now though- usually low down.

It took some friends of mine at schools not too far away 5 hours to get home last night- more snow is forecast where I am in the next hour or so... Don't know what driving will be like by 7... I hate the in between stage and having to make that call. I don't like driving in the snow- especially now I've got bean to think of too confused

Can't sleep again... But the thought of driving in the snow isn't helping...

Cheeseandbread Tue 12-Mar-13 04:20:47

Just noticed a typo... DH didn't put his hand in my bump shock just resting lightly on it smile

Hai1988 Tue 12-Mar-13 07:33:51

:D cheese in my bump did make me laugh tho.

Congratz on scan and on the blue bump schro

Got yet another cold here sad lost my apititite tho.

Movements getting stronger and more frequwent feel them during the day now not just.in.the evenings.

Looking forward to my 4d scan next month smile
Although sil's competiveness is getting on my nerves because ofcourse now she wants one! Which is fine shes intiteled to have one but when she phones me saying that everyone HAS to give her money to fund it, its a bit cheaky i think!

Sorry for the rant, but unfortunatly i have got.a feeling this wont be the last thing she does or says to pee me off sad

22+4

Just a brief moan on the way to work - 22 weeks today and was just sick again. Argh! Anyone else STILL being sick? I know I can't complain too much as it's only once or twice a week now but I'm bored of it now!

Just a brief moan on the way to work - 22 weeks today and was just sick again. Argh! Anyone else STILL being sick? I know I can't complain too much as it's only once or twice a week now but I'm bored of it!

dinkystinky Tue 12-Mar-13 09:09:48

Cheese - hope you got some rest and your trip to work is ok today. Hope all scans happening today go well.

Guavas - so sorry to hear you're still being sick. Can you see any pattern to when it happens (eg if you havent eaten early/have eaten)?

Hai - hope your cold passes v soon. Re 4D scan - I think if you want to have one and can afford it, that's great. However as your SIL is an adult and about to become a mother, she needs to man up and figure out its up to her as to how she spends her money, not other peoples money - if she really wants a 4D scan, she will need to find the pennies to have it herself.

esme80 Tue 12-Mar-13 09:26:31

guavas sorry your still feeling sick, do you have a lot of nausea daily?

hai exactly what dinky said, if she cant afford a 4d then she just wont be able to have one! Man up! (Liked that bit dinky)

Have been ignoring my belly button a bit, but this thread made me have a look today and it is now flat! Expecting it to pop out any minute! I had a linea negra during last pg, which stayed after, but now seems to have gone the more pg i get is time. Oh well..

My mum is here visiting for a week which is lovely. She is helping loads w ds and giving me lots of time to rest. Also someone new to drag around looking at double pushchairs, my dh is getting fed up! Inlaws coming to visit a few days after mum goes, not so lovely though... A bit more high maintenance so to say...

photographerlady Tue 12-Mar-13 09:47:43

Morning ladies. Have a question for you.

I know its not a simple question of which sling is best but I thought I ask what the experienced mums here recommend any wrap slings you have tried. I am torn between the Moby, Close Parent and Kari-Me wrap. I plan on going to a few sling groups to try them out but sort of want to have my own lightweight wrap ideal for a newborn when the baby is comes.

dinkystinky Tue 12-Mar-13 10:02:40

I have the Close carrier and a Beco Butterfly II carrier (more structured, more like a moby, can use on front or back). DH is wedded to the baby bjorn.

Close carrier is super easy to use, can be used in a variety of positions, comes with an instruction dvd, and fab for little babies. I stopped using it when DS2 was 4 months old as he was uber wriggly and needed something more structured so moved to Beco carrier then.

dinkystinky Tue 12-Mar-13 10:03:11

Oh - and most important of all - Close carrier can be chucked in the washing machine if you have a chunder/poonami incident.

photographerlady Tue 12-Mar-13 10:06:57

thanks dinkystiny My DH has a babybjorn miracle for him (which I imagine I will use a bit too) but I wanted more of a sling I could wear for closeness and around the house. Thanks for the suggestion.

dinkystinky Tue 12-Mar-13 10:55:23

V excited - just booked our last pure baby holiday over May half term - 3 days in Dorset, followed by 2 at Legoland staying in the Legoland hotel. DH is super excited - the boys will explode with excitement when they find out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now