Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 - thread 5 - baby kicks and scan pics, we're halfway there!

(961 Posts)
dinkystinky Sat 16-Feb-13 20:04:23

New thread to natter on. Will go find the due date thread to link on in a tick...

bigbelly4 Sun 17-Feb-13 16:24:32

mcktastic im too at high risk for downs 1:30 results over the phone from mw. Offered amnio but have declined it. 20 week scan will hopefully tell us more, but amnio is only test to diagnose on nhs. Thinkmost of the private tests are done v early 11-14 weeks. We did ask if 3d/4d scans showed more in termsof diagnosis but apparently not.

Anywho - havebeen having a lovely catch up with my oldest friend for the weekend.

MummyKanny Sun 17-Feb-13 16:35:35

Hi all!

AmaDablam that's exactly how it feels! You put it a lot better than me - a deep pre-fart feeling grin. It's very exciting and I'm really looking forward to feeling proper kicks.

devil - I think the benefit of the carrycot (according to the nice man in JL) is so that the baby can lie completely flat in it - which is recommended to support their back until three months. I'm sure someone with more experience will comment if I'm wrong!

We've done the most research over pushchairs. I was adamant that I didn't want a Bugaboo because everyone near me has one and I thought it was an overpriced fashion statement...but having seen it in the flesh and tried it out, I really want one now! The Uppababy Vista was my first choice on paper but in the flesh it was pretty wide (I'll be taking it on London buses) and quite difficult to fold and unfold. So none the wiser really.

I'm going to an NCT sale in March, hoping for a couple of bargains!

MummyKanny Sun 17-Feb-13 16:57:45

Thanks totallyeggflipped

I think it's also worth signing up to a trial of which.co.uk as they have loads of baby kit reviews on there. It's £1 for a month (and then £7.95 for each month after that) but seems to be pretty exhaustive on all things baby related.

Think I've over-researched pushchairs, if that's at all possible. Now my head is swimming with so many options, I can't make a decision!

photographerlady Sun 17-Feb-13 17:08:07

Evening all. Well moving was a crazy ordeal. Only one nerve wrecking moment with the moving van where my husband wedged it right into a side rail. Ok I'm being dramatic just he didn't go wide enough in a turn at ikea. We both panicked but every man in the car park to the rescue to take us into backing up safely.

I have unpacked 2 r

photographerlady Sun 17-Feb-13 17:12:27

...ooms. Stupid phone. Now taking a nap while DH is back in London cleaning the old flat. I love the new house. We had breakfast in the garden. Coming from London I haven't had a garden in ten years heehee. also discovered the local play park and open fields.. Like a 1 minute walk from our door.

Looking forward to my nap now seems my belly has increased overnight (or feels that way). Enjoy your Sunday everyone.

dinkystinky Sun 17-Feb-13 17:22:33

Glad the move went well (notwithstanding the IKEA car park incident) Photographer. Mummykanny - are you thinking bugaboo bee? Those would easily fit on buses but are difficult to fold one handed if need be (and depending on how busy the route is you may need to fold a lot). It was a main reason why I decided on baby jogger city versa in the end (and when baby is older we have beaten up old maclaren that ds1 and 2 have used which we can fold easily with squirming toddler under one arm if need be). If using on a train, or with stairs, weight should be a consideration too.

Thinkingof4 Sun 17-Feb-13 17:31:07

dinky thanks for new thread! Page 2 already!

Tom hope you are feeling better soon

photographer bet you are glad to have the move done before you get any bigger!

mcktastic hope you get some more answers soon

Can't remember who was making the bakewells (was it flying)
but they sound lovely (I'm on phone). The lemon bread and butter pud was lovely and leftovers for tonight too! We all deserve a wee treat at the moment don't we!

Cheeseandbread Sun 17-Feb-13 18:14:23

devil I found the nct sale worthwhile- was a bit in awe of all the other mums making their purchases though... As a first time mum I still don't really know what I need... There is another one in June so I'm hoping I'll have more of an idea then and can pick up some last minute deals. My Moses basket, stand and 7 fitted sheets cost me £15 which I thought was good. The wrap was £30 but I know they are expensive new too so didn't mind paying that. The sale was very busy so I think it's worth going with a list in mind so you can look for what you need in some sort of order.

I'm in the New forest for a couple of nights with DH- got a great last minute deal for some us time before I get big and bean arrives. Just had a nice bath and am enjoying a hot chocolate in our room before supper- feeling very smug grin

MightBeMad Sun 17-Feb-13 18:18:12

Ah, went on a lovely lovely ridgeway walk in the sunshine this afternoon but I'm shattered!!! Have just measured our route on the map and it was less than 5 miles. Felt like 10 times that!! I'm so unfit and I had thought I was doing quite well!!!

Oh well, nothing for it but more pancakes. Got to use up the mixture wink

flyingsprocket Sun 17-Feb-13 20:45:58

Oh cheese where are you staying. I was looking into spa breaks in the new forest recently, some amazing places.

I too walked the legs off myself today but unfortunately it was during the foggy, early morning. By the time we got back in the car the sun broke through.

BadMissM Sun 17-Feb-13 21:39:45

Cutandstick Get pain behind my left nipple too..but that's the one which kept getting mastitis with DD...

photographerlady Hope the move has gone OK xxx Having outside space is wonderful after being cooped up in London!

Tomdaleystrunks Get better soon xxxx

Dinky See, we do get sunshine up here sometimes!!! Been glorious today here too!

Now confused whether Dad had rant at pg or was just automatic rant...and whetehr he really heard me? (Though DD and DH are sure he did). He hasn't mentioned a word about it though, and DD reckons he hasn't told my mum.... either that or he's ignoring it and hoping it goes away?

Supershiv1 Sun 17-Feb-13 21:52:14

Nipples - yes! Painful - yes!
2nd bra size change yesterday. Now 40D and moved to wireless.
Have a week in the sun coming up and because of sudden bump popping out and mammoth boob growth am very concerned that summer clothes won't fit.....and wrong time of year for buying.....

elliejjtiny Sun 17-Feb-13 22:21:54

mcktastic I didn't have the nuchal/bloods so no experience of that but all our children have a 75% chance of having ehlers danlos syndrome type 3/benign congenital hypermobility syndrome so I understand a bit of what you're going through

photographer glad you are enjoying your new house, very jealous of you having the park so close

badmissm maybe your dad is just trying to pretend it's not happening. When I told my Dad (less scary than telling my mum!) he had a good ranting session and then not mentioned it again. I rang my mum up because it was her birthday a couple of weeks ago and she didn't mention it either.

Is anyone else feeling really uncomfortable? I keep pulling what's left of my stomach muscles just doing general housework and when I get up after sitting down I always need a wee. Not got a bump really although I was quite fat before. Going to be like a hippo soon! Also got no energy and feel really unfit. I was thinking about maybe trying a pregnancy yoga/pilates dvd to see if that helps, any recommendations?

This weekend I bought some new tunic style tops, trying to avoid the gap between maternity top and jeans. (I'm 5ft 1in, how can normal maternity tops not be long enough). Spent £100 on 3 tops, eek. Justified it to DH by saying it's that or I will have to be naked for the rest of the pregnancy. He said that my problem is I have too many clothes and if I looked properly I would find something that fits hmm.

Just a word of advice for those of you planning on using moses baskets etc. You don't need to buy sheets for them as a pillowcase is the perfect size and lots cheaper. I found them especially good with DS3 as he had reflux and puked a lot. It was easy to buy a load of pillowcases and we never had to worry about not having clean ones when they needed changing multiple times a day.

elliejjtiny Sun 17-Feb-13 22:22:27

20+2 (always forget that bit)

Twinklestarstwinklestars Mon 18-Feb-13 03:55:56

cutand stick my nipples are agony at the minute, ds laid on me for a cuddle and it was so painful!

We chose our pushchair yesterday, after i said i wouldn't get another and would use a sling this time blushwe've ordered a baby jogger city select in crimson and ordered a maxi cosi seat.

18 + 5

Calmisthemantra Mon 18-Feb-13 08:09:51

Morning all. We are a chatty lot! glad everyone seems to be progressing wellgrin

devil we have the iCandy strawberry with dd and looooove it. Feel sad that I will soon have to use a double (phil& teds). I really liked using the carrycot part of it, dd looked so comfy in it and it's suitable for nighttime sleeping do was handy to put her in something she was used to if staying away from home/evening at inlaws. As someone else said- young babies are supposed to be laid down flat whenever possible and car seats have a time limit on them. Worth the investment IMO. Maybe you could buy it if you're conscious of the money for parents/inlaws.

I'm hoping I can get some trips out with new baby in the iCandy if dd is out with someone elsewink

Devilforasideboard Mon 18-Feb-13 09:15:34

Thanks for the tips everyone, the carrycots were cute and if needs be we can buy it ourselves. I'm going to brave the NCT sale in March, DH will be just back from three weeks away with work so may take some persuading. I suppose I can always leave him in the car to sleep and get him in to carry my bargains to the car smile

dinkystinky Mon 18-Feb-13 09:16:58

Morning all. Twinkle - as a new BJ convert I'd say its a good choice of buggy. With ds2 I found he preferred the buggy to sling after 4 months - as he was a total fidget - so a good long term investment either way :-)

Looks like a nice day again out there - think we are off for a walk today.

SundaySunshine Mon 18-Feb-13 10:18:07

Hi all, just a quickie. Was wondering how many mw appointments everyone is having (for second timers). I've had the 16 wk and not having another till 28 wks, is this the same for everyone else? I know you have more first time round.

dinkystinky Mon 18-Feb-13 10:22:55

Yep same here sunshine

SundaySunshine Mon 18-Feb-13 10:24:45

Great thanks Dinky smile

esme80 Mon 18-Feb-13 10:29:33

I am on second and have a 24-week appointment.

Re pushchairs we need a double and have pretty much decided on the mountain buggy duet. Now hoping to find a deal on a second hand one... Have a bugaboo from ds that I am keeping to use for when ds not with us or when he gets big enough to just use buggy board. Now off to enjoy the sunshine a bit,

cheekbyjowl Mon 18-Feb-13 11:03:31

Hi sunday. I'm the same, next one at 28 but scheduled for bp checks with gp too. I think at 25 weeks

Are all people looking for buggies just super organised or do you need to order them long in advance? I'm still to make my first baby purchase as still in normal clothes

Thank you for setting up the new thread dinky

notprincesskate Mon 18-Feb-13 11:10:05

Morning all, just catching up and passing the time whilst I wait for my scan, worked 2 long days over weekend so not had much time to think about it, now feeling a bit nervous, but excited to see bubba again, DH forgot and didn't book the time off so going on my own, also he conveniently booked car in for service today hmm, so train and bus for me, at least an hour each way, but at least it saves on the ridiculous parking situation at the hospital.
We use cloth nappies a mixture of of tots bots with wraps and bumgenius v4, I rarely use the tumble dryer for them, although it does help if you have space to have a clothes horse somewhere, never had a problem with nursery using them either, or any regular poo explosions, I'm going to invest in a few more as bumgenius are leaking but I think that's related to the elastic wearing out in the legs which I'm currently replacing, so they should be good to go for bubba. I have to say I am never without a pack of the right size disposables tho, can be a godsend if you've forgotten the wash or they haven't quite dried and suddenly bubba has 2-3 changes quickly, also use them for holidays etc or staying over at other people's house- some can be quite funny about even sluiced nappies in their washing machine! but usually cloth if we're just out for the day and going home. Also use fleece liners couldn't get on with the paper type ones always found that DD felt damp, but feels as dry in a fleece liner as in a disposable.
esme the MB duet was my was choice for a double too, sadly I can't justify it as DD will be almost 3 and I have the luxury of a car for longer journeys, that said if I found a second hand bargin...........off to check eBay!

20+1

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now