Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - celebrating our entry into the 3rd trimester and an early arrival!

(1000 Posts)
SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 14-Feb-13 20:35:41

Welcome to the new thread, grab a brew.

ng1412 Tue 19-Feb-13 12:56:29

Wirra sorry to hear about your experience. I started off in one health care trust when I was pregnant with my DD, and transferred to another, not far away at about 20 weeks. The difference in treatment was amazing, the first midwife was more worried about the student learning than actually communicating to me and she assumed I knew what to do next each time, it was so painful as I thought I was a reasonably intelligent person but she made me feel I've a thicko! Also the treatment room was freezing and unwelcoming and I couldn't wait to leave each time.

The first time I went the student started looking for the heartbeat in completely the wrong place, took about ten mins before the midwife took over and found it immediately then announced that I had a high pubic bone, like it was something I could control and do something about. I almost apologised!

Anyway the trust I moved to was a completely different experience. My midwife was relatively young and absolutely fantastic. She helped me with every little concern and never dismissed me and took time to explain everything

It is very frustrating but you are not on your own. Thank goodness you have a great partner who can support you xx.

Is she your regular midwife? I am wondering whether you could ask to see an alternative?

Ellypoo Tue 19-Feb-13 13:16:00

Oh wirra, what a nightmare appointment. It is really not fair that they have left you feeling this way. Is there a different MW you could ask to see next time? It's not being high maintenance at all - you should expect & get a certain level of care and support from these professionals, it sounds really wrong the way that they have been treating you.

Do you have group B strep? Is that why the ABs in labour? Sorry if you've mentioned it before - my brain has totally stopped working now!

The sun is shining here today - it's lovely!!!

29+0

aberjen Tue 19-Feb-13 13:52:31

Oh wirra sad Agree you should definitely come out feeling reassured not ready to cry, especially when it's your first and everything is new. And they should definitely have told what appointments you need to have, with who, and when - do they expect you to be psychic?!

It does seem to vary so much between trusts and between who you see - I've seen a different midwife every time because the midwife I should see has been signed off long-term and while I'm lucky that they've all been great, they definitely have very different approaches!

Agere with ng - could you request to see someone different?

Hope you feel better soon thanks

In other news, I think little one had hiccups at 6 am this morning, and then started doing the cancan! Very entertaining, but did make the final pre-alarm doze a bit challenging...

Also: www.digitalspy.co.uk/odd/news/a459929/two-sets-of-identical-twins-born-from-same-mother.html shock

10storeylovesong Tue 19-Feb-13 14:38:17

wirra sorry to hear about your horrible midwife appointment. I was disappointed with the 2 appointments I managed to make it to - but found that the hospital midwives couldn't have been more different and were superb every time I went in and really supported me all the way through. They even keep nipping in to see Seb to check how he's getting on every now and again.

Hopefully you'll have a better experience when you get to hospital.

Picklep Tue 19-Feb-13 16:24:54

hello pregnant ladies!! I have been AWOL for some time, all sorts been going on, including moving house. All well here, my baby boy is getting stronger by the day. Nesting is going on big time here! I feel HUUUUGE. Restless legs have begun which is VERY annoying.

WHO is baby Seb's mummy? That was early! Welcome baby Seb!! SOOOOO exciting. I have a lot to catch up on, will do that now.

Nice to be back with you ladies! Hope you and babies are all well!

Picklep Tue 19-Feb-13 16:27:38

oh and I am 28 weeks.....gulp.

Picklep Tue 19-Feb-13 16:33:04

10lovestory you are Seb's mummy!!! Congratulations!!! I hope you and your baby boy are well? x

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 19-Feb-13 17:34:18

wirra sorry to hear about your rubbish appointment. You're not over-reacting at all, it's their job to put your mind at rest not worry you further!

Is anyone else really uncomfortable already? Baby is really low down, yesterday I could actually feel immense pressure from her pushing down on my cervix.

I had a terrible pregnancy brain moment. I ordered a present for DHs birthday on Thursday. It should have been delivered yesterday and was still showing not yet dispatched today so I emailed asking why it wasn't here. The email I received back said it hadn't been dispatched because my selected delivery date is 3 weeks away, I'd selected Monday 18th march blush

Boodstress Tue 19-Feb-13 18:06:58

Hi Seven I'm exactly the same and its not like I go early, But the baby has gone from transverse to head down and I'm feeling loads of pressure. pelvis is also shot and generally I feel about 36 weeks. I have been having baby brain too and bursts of cleaning weird nooks and crannies in case they baby is disgusted with my cleaning regime when it arrives hmm

roastpotatoes Tue 19-Feb-13 18:19:20

I'm another one with crazy downward pressure - feels like something is already coming out! Don't really like the idea of having this feeling for another 10 weeks!

So sorry that things didn't go well with the MW wirra - I totally agree with the others that it's not unreasonable to expect them to give you the basic information you need and some reassurance.

We're still going with our decorating frenzy, but onto the last room now and then we can get the carpets done - yay!

My bridesmaid duties went well at the weekend but I was completely exhausted the day afterwards. Could barely speak! That is definitely my last big weekend and long trip away before the baby comes - time to start taking it easy I think...

I'm so impatient - 29.3 weeks today, willing the next few weeks to go quickly so that we can finally meet the baby!

Wirra I would complain or go as far as to demand you change midwife.Im sorry but you should feel important and well cared for in pregnancy.Gosh it's a major thing for our bodies to go through.

I will be going to my midwife appointment next Wednesday with a list.I hope she has given herself plenty of time for my appointment as I won't be leaving until Ive asked all my questions.Its only fair seen as I haven't seen her since 16 weeks.I know its my third but I have a 7 year age gap.

Rachy Congratulations on passing your theory.I did mine a couple of weeks ago too.When are you putting in for your test.I really want to pass before I have the baby.

Sorry to hear about all those with colds.I can't breathe at all well at night so Ive been applying Vicks.

I too feel uncomfortable.Not sure how baby is lying I was never good at being able to tell.But I have immense pressure and I get serious bump ache when I walk.The walk to work gets harder each day.Everyone has commented on my really low bump.I have a big gap between boobs and bump then it looks like I have a bowling ball stuffed down my trousers smile

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 19-Feb-13 18:55:41

wirra my MW is a bit crap too. It's the same one as last time and she til me recently that she's retiring soon. I thought she was better this time, but it's been short lived (I think she was on a high from having her first grandchild). I actually prefer it when the student is there as she's on her best behaviour. I'm lucky to see people at the hospital fortnightly to ask questions to. As she's your only 'port of call' I too think you should approach maybe your GP about your concerns?

Had another growth scan today. Baby still on 10th percentile. But I did find out it seems to only be the head circ. DD1 when born had a head measurement in 9th percebtile but it wasn't picked up on scans. I rememeber they were concerned at the time and I had to keep seeing the HV weekly for a while because of it. She's as bright as a button so in hoping it's a genetic thing. she's thumping away atm.
10 I love it when you post blush. I know you must have your hands full.

My cold seems slightly better. But there was talk of keeping me in at the hospital as I had a rogue blood reading caused by the virus. Luckily it was fine in retesting.

27+1 weeks seem to be going slow at the moment...

My midwife was rubbish with my first actually. luckily though I had nct classes and other sources of info in that area at the time.

I've been told no classes here as the midwifes are too stretched.Great I was hoping to make some mum friends in this village as I don't know many people hmm

beaver33 Tue 19-Feb-13 19:27:03

Oh Wirra that sounds rubbish. I second everything else that far wiser people than me have said. Like Beaut points out, you should try to complain, or at the very least make it clear you're unhappy. That's never easy, especially when it's a general feeling of being let down, rather than specific poor care. But it's still unacceptable. I'm having my first too, and I can't fault the community midwives I see. I come away feeling as if they're excited about my baby too. That's how it should be, and you shouldn't feel as if you're expecting too much by wanting that.

Are they community midwives, and do you see them at your GP practice? If so you could have a word with the practice manager.

Take care xx

DP just called and said he can't make the 4d scan I had booked for Saturday hmm as he has to work.I hope they have for the Saturday after now as apparently the bigger you get the less clear the pics as obviously baby takes up room

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 19-Feb-13 20:29:46

I had to give 48hours notice, Beaut. How many weeks are you? In the hospital today, it said 4D scans best between 24-32 weeks. You can't be 32 weeks! shock!
Mine is the 2nd March (is that the following weekend?). We are having
our kitchen fitted that weekend! Bad timing. Ha, maybe we should swap!

Whoever said about Vicks. I've got it on and it's not shifting anything. Suffocating <feeling melodramatic>.

Maybe Should be ok then.Im 28 weeks on Thursday.So be 29 weeks if I can get in for the following Saturday.

Artigene Tue 19-Feb-13 20:37:15

Wirra - that sounds like a really bad midwife appointment. I think you have had some terrible care as I remember your 12 week scan was also handled very badly. If you feel strong enough I would complain via PALS. One word of comfort is that in my first two pregnancies I found the antenatal midwives to be pretty useless but the labour ward midwives were fab. I think they save the best ones for the really important bit, so try not to worry to much about not feeling supported during the birth. If you are really worried you could consider a doula, I know some trainee doulas are very cheap.

Beaut - that is unfortunate about your DH missing the 4D scan. Is there nothing he can do to slip out of work for an hour?

NG - it must be a relief to have a plan for your CS. Do they keep you in longer in France? I think I heard that they did. In fact my Parisian friend may have had her baby taken away each night so she could sleep. Bliss.

10 - how is Seb doing? if you have time I'd love to hear how its going. I can't believe that you have had an actual baby for over a week.

Pickle - welcome back. I hope the move went well.

Betsy - how is your dad holding up. And did you have the GTT follow-up appointment? As others have said try not to fret about the sumo baby. My second was 10lbs 2oz and all things considered it was an OK birth. Also big babies tend to sleep for longer between feeds (or so I was told). Just don't go investing in newborn size clothes, my DDs never fitted in them even once!

Seven - I was getting immense pressure down below which I never experienced even towards the end of my last pregnancies. However, in the last 48 hours the pressure has gone and the baby feels like it is pushing out of both my sides at the same time so I wonder if he has gone transverse.

Sorry to those suffering from pelvic pain. Is it Elly on crutches? That must be very hard. My pelvis is pretty tender but its actually better when I am up and about. Sitting is the problem.

We had a lovely day pretending to be tourists in town with the DDs. We rarely take advantage of London but today we did the South Bank and the Hayward Gallery and a little petting zoo in one of the parks. Its only February and it cannot have been more than 10 degrees but my DH and DD2 managed to catch the sun and they even look a little burnt shock. Oh, and tonight I booked a week in Italy for us and the baby when he will be three months. It was so weird registering him for the hotel, he has no name or birthdate but I had to put something so I just put "Boy [our surname]". Rather ambitiously it will be his third holiday. We are booked to go camping when he is 5 weeks and we are off for a week in the West Country when he will be two months.

10storeylovesong Tue 19-Feb-13 20:42:23

Urgh, today has been a long hard day. Seb's feeds have increased from 2mls to 13mls every 2 hours in last 3-4 days which is great as it means the feeding tube in his stomach has been removed and he is being given it orally. However, as his stomach is increasing so fast it is pushing up on his lungs and his oxygen levels have been up and down all day and keeps setting his alarms off. We had such a scary moment earlier where he was sick and he panicked and slowed his breathing straight down and had to be given emergency oxygen by a face mask. It only lasted a few minutes but seemed like a lifetime and I was just willing him to breathe again. I completely broke down afterwards - it was the first time I felt truly afraid of losing him as he's done so well up to now. Was horrible leaving the hospital, even though he was settled and fast asleep as we left.

Rhienne Tue 19-Feb-13 20:57:30

Hi 10. What a scary day! Here's a cyber hand to hold if it helps! Hope Seb's lungs catch up to his tummy soon.

Maybe I really hope the cold eases soon. I'm totally paranoid anytime anyone coughs or sneezes near me at the moment.

Wirra that appointment sounds awful. This is my second and I still expect to be reassured by my health professionals. Definitely ask if you can see someone else in the future, and no more students if their supervisers aren't making sure that you're being properly seen to.

lollypopsicle Tue 19-Feb-13 21:04:45

hi ladies. quick straw poll- anyone not having the whooping cough jab and if not, why not?

I didn't have the flu jab in the end and not keen on the thought of vaccines in general. However, having seen the footage of a tiny baby with whooping cough, that really would be terrible. Not sure what to do.

Boodstress Tue 19-Feb-13 21:06:19

Oh 10 that's so tough. I hadn't considered the issues like that that you will face as they get bigger, it's such an emotional roller coaster. I'm sending lots of good wishes & positives thoughts. Make sure you look after yourself as its so important you are fighting fit and getting hugs!!
artigene that sounds like a lovely day. Did you see the Dinos from the Dino petting zoo at Royal Festival Hall (I think) my eldest wanted to go so much but it was only on Mon-Wed & my pelvis couldn't have handled it :-(

lollypopsicle Tue 19-Feb-13 21:07:35

meant to also send wishes to 10 and seb. glad he was settled when you left but must be really hard to walk away, esp after the day you had.

Ellypoo Tue 19-Feb-13 21:18:59

Oh 10 that must have been really scary - glad he's ok now but you must have been petrified. Great that the feeding tube has been removed though, I hope that he catches up with himself very soon xx

Yes it's me with the crutches - don't need them all the time thank goodness, but when I have bad days they really take the pressure off.

Think my baby has moved position - kicks feel more internal and nowhere near as strong as they were so think the back is towards my front now.

Can't wait to finish work - am really struggling now hmm

Hope you manage to rearrange your scan for when your DH can make it.

Ellypoo Tue 19-Feb-13 21:21:12

Lolly - I had the whooping cough jab last week, for me the benefits to the baby far outweigh the risks of the vaccination.

I think there have been a few threads on the pregnancy topic about it though.

This thread is not accepting new messages.