Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - celebrating our entry into the 3rd trimester and an early arrival!

(1000 Posts)
SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 14-Feb-13 20:35:41

Welcome to the new thread, grab a brew.

Artigene Sat 16-Feb-13 18:19:40

I have no idea what I gave birth in either time! How odd, it's just wiped from my memory. As II had an epidural tube in my back I assume I was in a hospital gown.

I have terrible restless legs. The evenings. Do others? Any tips on getting it to go away? We're going out tonight and I can't be twitching and stretching my legs all night.

betsyb75 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:24:25

Hi,

Thank you for the new thread seven I love it that you are so organised!

Beaver my NCT classes were also cancelled this week due to lack of interest- DP and I are pretty gutted, they also offered us classes elsewhere about 20 mins drive away, but we can't do all of the the dates-I just can't take the time off work,- you and I do the same job too Beaver!

Also saw midwife yesterday and my GTT tests results have come back with high sugar levels so being sent to Diabetic nurse. She said it looks like we are going to have a good sized baby...I keep having visions of giving birth to a giant sumo baby...bit scared.

Iron levels also quite low, which would explain why I felt so rubbish recently, with dad being ill, everything has felt a bit too much.

Better go and start my no sugar low Gi no chocolate or anything sweet diet! grin
Have lovely weekends

28+5

berri Sat 16-Feb-13 19:30:59

How is your Dad doing betsy?

betsyb75 Sat 16-Feb-13 19:48:42

Hi berri

He had his biopsies on Tuesday, so waiting for results to come back, hopefully this Tuesday.
It's horrible waiting, we just all want to know what we are dealing with as soon as possible.
Thank you for asking x

mwncigirl Sat 16-Feb-13 23:37:42

Hey everyone, not been on for ages. I think I'm in denial as this pg seems to be going so fast. I don't feel prepared at all and am starting to panic a bit.

I'm trying to work out how we will manage on the day/night with DS (age 3), planning a home birth but not sure what we'll do if I have to go to hosp. No family around to help, and don't feel I can ask friends to help as most of them have their own little ones. Hmmm

Eveyone sounds like they're doing pretty good considering!

Is anyone suffering from varicose veins? I freaked out a bit this evening and found a massive bulging vein in my groin. Not had one before. Should I be concerned? Can't really see down there now so not noticed it. I had felt a sort of pulling especially in the mornings.

Soz for long post. Hope you all have a good nights sleep smile

Boodstress Sun 17-Feb-13 07:01:49

Mwnc is there any family that could come and stay (or stay in a guest house nearby as I always do to avoid anyone driving anyone mad when a new baby arrives)? even with a home birth you will probably need extra support but especially if you have to go to hospital. Is there a childminder that you could use in combination with a friend. I have two but would always help someone (and want to ) in that situation.

my friend had terrible varicose veins with pregnancy and she discovered a bad one on her groin at 7 months and was really worried about giving birth (pushing) but she had her baby 3rd Dec and it was all fine and all back to normal now.

I've hit 29 weeks and am now starting to freak out a bit but in my more rational moments (few and far between) I know it will ok, busy but ok. grin

mwncigirl Sun 17-Feb-13 09:28:32

Boos, I'm not close to my family and my closest friends are singe mums, so that wouldn't work either. We'll have to come up with another plan I think.

Thanks for reassurance re veins, it's really quite sore this morning. I guess I just feel a bit grumpy hmm

Artigene Sun 17-Feb-13 10:19:40

Mwnc - I'm sure your friends would want to help. If your DH dropped DS at a friend's house they could just watch him alongside their own. Or could you find a local babysitter you could have on call? Maybe a trainee from a local child care course?

ng1412 Sun 17-Feb-13 17:59:58

Well we visited the hospital to register and it seems likely I will be having a c-section at 38 weeks given my age and my concerns following my previous birth experience. Makes it easier to plan for someone to look after our DD while I am in hospital and avoids us having to make a call to them in French, something I wasn't looking forward to!

beaver33 Mon 18-Feb-13 11:51:30

Hey betsy it's frustrating, isn't it? I wonder - were we planning on taking the same class?? You're not in the wilds of south London, are you?

I think will just take the class further away and hope for the best. How interesting we do the same job. I wonder if we've ever crossed paths...depends which field you're in, I suppose!

Mamma I think these do count as antenatal care and should in theory mean I could take time off. But the class is quite literally at the most inconvenient point of the week for my job, and the idea I'd be out of contact for several hours at that time would be unthinkable.

28 weeks today (hooray). Off to midwife for bloods later and generally packing up my house in case we have to move soon....this not knowing bit is making me a bit crazy....

TerracottaPie Mon 18-Feb-13 12:02:45

Morning all.

Just been catching up.

elly boo to crutches. Sorry things have got that bad you've needed them sad My PGP ain't that great either right now. GP signed me off for 2 weeks last week (and that was on top of me already self certifying for a week). And then said that because of my job it may be that I'll be off now until maternity leave starts. I'm hoping that won't happen! Pain has lessened slightly with not being at work. And with the wonderful physiotherapist I'm seeing. But the walk on the school run is not fun. I use the pushchair as make do crutches I think!

Going back to the what did you where during labour chat. I had forceps in theatre for DC1 so it was a backless hospital gown. And then just a nightie for DC2. And I still had it for DC3 so I wore it again. And I plan on wearing it again for this one grin.

Betsy were you expecting that GTT result at all? Hope you don't have to wait long to see the Diabetic Nurse. And don't worry too much about sumo-baby! There's a few of us on here that have had big babies (my last was 11lb) and it doesn't have to mean a bad experience at all. Hope tomorrow isn't too stressful for you with your Dad x

mwnc poor you and that varicose vein sad I'm trying to remember any things that can help try and relieve them but I'm drawing a blank, sorry! <helpful>

ng sounds like an ELCS is a good plan for you! I'm trying to imagine an in-labour conversation over the phone in a different language! I'm sure it would have been ok though - MWs must be used to trying to decipher sentences through screams so a language barrier would be no probs grin

28+6

TerracottaPie Mon 18-Feb-13 12:05:56

I knew something in my what did I wear during labour typing wasn't right! just read it back

where wear

rachywhite83 Mon 18-Feb-13 13:35:05

Survived my sisters wedding on Saturday. Only problem was terrible cramp in my feet as I walked down the aisle ! Shoes came off for the rest of the day as every time my feet went anywhere near my shoes the cramp would start again hmm Ended up wearing slippers to the reception !!!

So happy because I passed my theory test this morning.

Just off to get my GTT results. Really hope everything is ok x

LittleSpade Mon 18-Feb-13 13:40:15

Had my 28 week mw appointment this morning - all fine smile

Ordered our pushchair on line at the weekend so excitedly waiting for that to arrive.

Wirrawoo Mon 18-Feb-13 13:55:32

Anyone going to the baby show at the ExCel this coming weekend? We're going to get the car seat, the pram and a few other things (electric breast pump, a brave new world of boob functions for me!). At the other one I went to there were such massive discounts on stuff (some of the prams were about £100 off and incuded free car seats), but we were too early on to buy anything, so this time am going armed with a list.

Hey beaver that really sucks about your NCT class being cancelled sad How about one in East Dulwich or Herne Hill or something? I would imagine they are always well attended!

Thanks for the advice re what people end up wearing in labour. It's good to find out from people that have been there and done it... Websites and baby books are sometimes I think trying to say we 'must' have something when we don't really.

lollypopsicle Mon 18-Feb-13 14:12:03

mwnc just offering vein sympathy. I have one that starts in my groin and continues down my left leg. I got it last time too so I was expecting it back! it did go after DS was born so really hoping it will again. Didn't cause me problems in labour. my midwife was not concerned about it either. whenever I mentioned it I was told to wear support tights and elevate my leg whenever I could- easier said than done with PGP. You can get maternity support tights from boots. My mum recommended putting them on in bed while still lying flat before the blood flows into your legs more and causes it to bulge. That way you get a chance of a normal looking leg for longer!

sorry you're on crutches elly I've found physio really helpful and has rewound the clock a few weeks. still painful but more localised and at least my limp is not so bad! doesn't sound great for you either terra how do you cope with your other kids? I'm finding 2 yr old DS a real handful sad

26+4

Boodstress Mon 18-Feb-13 16:10:02

My pelvis (mine was always called pubis symphysis dysfunction but assuming same as PGP) is now full on as I think my transverse baby has gone head first. A couple of things that help if you aren't already - going up the stairs one at a time, sitting with feet not elevated higher or lower than your pelvis.. Doesn't help if you are already on crutches - gosh I don't know how you deal with that. I have a tendency to have a big late baby so wonder if there's a correlation? I have to swap rooms around and that is freaking me out - I don't know how anyone moves actual house. 30 weeks on Friday - starting to wish away the pregnancy which is not good. Sorry for extended moans. Hope everyone ok & half term not driving anyone to (else) to tears !

Bunnychan Mon 18-Feb-13 17:58:52

Omg! I need to tell someone! My best mate has just POAS and it's positive! I'm so pleased for her but it's mega early days! Feel really guilty- today we went shopping and she brought me a Moses basket. She had a docs appoint this afternoon and that prompted her test when she got home. Exciting :-) x

Bunny smile

Will she start a November 2013 thread?

MaybeAMayBaby Mon 18-Feb-13 18:34:45

Hey ladies.

Betsy as a type 1 diabetic, my advice to you is to cut down on carbs. Most of the nhs (luckily not my clinic) have been racing on for over 20 years about eating lots of whole meal carbs. While they are better than 'white' your body still converts all carbs to glucose. As in on insulin, most of the time I can manage carbs, but I know in your position it's the only thing that will have an impact! Don't have to cut it out completely. Buy yourself a cheap blood sugar kit from boots (not sure whether you'll be allowed strips for it on nhs-ridiculous. If not, check out the cheapest ones on eBay before you buy the machine). Test first thing in morning, (aiming for between 3.5-7) and an hour or two after breakfast (no higher than about 8). Same for every meal.
And don't panic about a large baby. Did she base that on YOUR baby's scan measurements? Or was he making an assumption? My Dd was 6lbs 3oz and this one is so far on track to be similar.
Good luck. Research the diabetic/pregnancy sites.

Rhienne? Was it you with the horrendous cold? I've been in bed all weekend. My face was swollen this noting and it hurt to open and close my eyes. And the teeth!! Wow! Even my DH was sympathetic (he struggles) I looked shocking. Honestly felt I my pop. Luckily most of it has subsided this afternoon. Not impressed as I'm on half term.

During labour I wore ridiculous tight PJs. As I was induced, I knew 'when' so the day before I popped down to Next to get some big comfy pjs. I have some huge ones that I'd worn all pregnancy but where full of holes, so I thought 'same size-all fine'.
DH went home on night of induction and I got changed into 'comfy' nightware. I struggled to pull up the legs! And the top was ok-but not long enough to go over bump. No other clothes (DH was bringing more stuff in next day). By now I had to suck it up. I was contracting very regularly and painfully (MW insisted I wasnt hmm).
Next day I gave birth in top. But as soon as I did, MW said 'let's gets this ridiculous top off' blush. So embarrassed.

mwm I looked after a friend's DS when she went into labour. They dropped him round on way to hospital. She called me middle of night. I didn't mind at all, and was honoured to be asked. Also had DD at time. Kids were both same age and loved waking up in same house the next day.

milkandribena Mon 18-Feb-13 21:36:32

Just marking my place - life is being mad at the mo. So I'll catch up on you all sometime this week

GeordieCherry Mon 18-Feb-13 21:54:57

Bikini wax back to normal ouchy-ness..!

Congrats for good scans & results ladies

We did some buggy research yesterday, think we're decided on Mamas & Papas Mylo. We ~love~ the purple one but it's the full whack everywhere we look & the second fave colour (sand) is half price at Boots. We could do a lot with £300...

Rhienne Mon 18-Feb-13 22:05:48

MaybeaMay: yes, that was me. You have my full sympathy! Had a horrible cough and cold that went to my sinuses, felt like awful toothache for days. Be assured, it has eased now! There is light at the end of the tunnel, even if it takes extra long t waddle to it at the moment. All I have left are the sore rib muscles from too much coughing.

I used loads of saline nasal spray and paracetamol. And a steroid nasal spray prescribed by the doctor. Still took far longer than I wanted to go away... But did eventually.

beaver33 Tue 19-Feb-13 11:44:45

Urgh Maybe and Rhienne, I've joined the sick bus too. Thought I had a cold over the last few days because I've felt a bit groggy in the mornings. But it's definitely here now. In the office and feeling miserable and very sorry for myself, sipping on lemon and ginger tea with some honey added and dreaming of lempsip. Boo.

Was on the phone to my mum yesterday - she's 500 miles away in Scotland - and I was having a bit of a moan (house buying worries, work being a nightmare, feeling shattered, cold coming on, generally feeling a bit anxious) and she got all exasperated and said, 'So, has anything GOOD happened to you recently?'. If you can't have a moan to your mum, who can you have a moan to? and especially if your time is split between being in the office and lying on the sofa, there's not really that much more to say....

28+1

Wirrawoo Tue 19-Feb-13 12:40:36

Hey beaver you can have a moan here whenever. Sorry you're feeling rubbish. Honey and lemon is comforting at least. thanks

Sorry guys but do you mind if I have a little moan? Am sitting here crying into my cup of tea having just got back from the midwife app and am feeling really stupid for doing it but I'm so sick of having moderately crap appointments where they don't tell me anything, don't show any sort of caring manner... I nearly passed out in the appointment today because I was on my back for too long and although the student midwife there was really nice and gave me water until that horrible shaky feeling went away, the official midwife was so rubbish. She didn't show any kind of concern, only told me any information in response to my questions that I went armed with. Why had none of them even mentioned a whooping cough jab or needing to book GP appointments?! I mean seriously it's not that hard to do your job properly surely? Am realising how vulnerable being pregnant makes you feel. I'm generally a dream patient who never makes a fuss and even I am coming out of these appointments feeling like bursting into tears. surely that isn't how we should be being made to feel? The student midwife and the official one measured the bump and seemed to be having a discussion about whether it was right or not then telling me it seemed very increased from 3 weeks ago but still just about normal so they won't refer me. Why tell me that? Tell me it's fine, or not fine, but don't leave me wondering WTF is going on? It didn't feel like they were measuring to the right place anyway. Also, I don't mind having students there but every appointment has almost entirely been taken by the student. This is my first baby, I want to help them learn but could they not share it out a bit so I feel like I have the expert there for at least some of the time? I just don't feel 'cared for' at all, and perhaps naively I thought that was part of the job of midwives. Have just come home freaking out about what is going to happen if we go to the hospital and there's these sort of vaguely rubbish uncaring people who are just going to freak me out and only half do their job. Never thought I was a high maintenance person and don't like feeling like I am just because I want a basic level of bedside manner. All you really want in these appointments is for them to do the things they have to do, but also to support you and tell you that you're doing ok... That you are doing all that you should to help this little person inside of you survive and make it into the world. I've never felt this vulnerable.
Also fascinating that I have no control over bursting into tears when I feel rubbish at the moment. My partner had to leave straight after to get the train to Oxford but has just called me to check I was ok and been awesome on the phone so feeling a little more human again. Hate feeling this way after appointments. I realise they may have done this 599 times before but I haven't, this is my first, and as relaxed as I may be 90% of the time and as much as you know that women have done this for millennia etc etc etc, it's still a very vulnerable time and you need some support from the professionals in charge of your care. sad
Oh and this midwife also told me a completely different story about what I'm supposed to do about when to start the antibiotics in labour so now I don't know which one is right and that really annoys me!

This thread is not accepting new messages.