Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013 - celebrating our entry into the 3rd trimester and an early arrival!

(1000 Posts)
SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 14-Feb-13 20:35:41

Welcome to the new thread, grab a brew.

Boodstress Sun 10-Mar-13 18:45:03

Beaut I travel regularly with the two small ones and that's fine, bribery and oversized child in pram. It's just to Dublin so quick flight. I've been doing that since one was in baby bjorn. I think if you have one sensibly aged one then its doable but I would have a ruck sack on your bag and nothing else so you have two hands.

I will travel back early on my own with the little one as I can't justify all the full fare flights - my DH will take the Fri off & have the kids for weekend.
I find breast feeding makes it a lot easier <clamp child on boob at merest whimper>
I am useless at backing down and I won't be changing sheets or vacuuming for last trimester - there has to be some bloody perks. I have, however been told I am much calmer this pregnancy ..queue. 'What are you saying about me last two times' etc.

Bood Are you from Dublin and travel back to see family? My best friend lives in County Meath and my nan originates from Dublin. I was hoping to go see my friend before baby arrives.

I have a 7 and 8 year old so should cope quite well on a flight. The flight is only an hour and 20 minutes.Thanks for the advice re backpack I can see how that would make sense my eldest is the most likely to do a runner smile

Boodstress Sun 10-Mar-13 19:15:58

Yep I'm from Dublin originally, have lived here many years but still have lots of friends and family there. I ask EVERYONE to help as well - no room for heroics. I usually tell the Boys exactly what we'll do for the whole journey so they don't get any surprises.

I'm so impressed with you travelling to Ireland before little one arrives. I took my last trip at Christmas. Hope that's alone cause I certainly wouldn't fancy a bump & kids journey. X

Artichook Mon 11-Mar-13 08:48:53

Hi All

I hope everyone had lovely Mothers Days. DH and the DDs bought me lovely flowers and breakfast in bed which was v sweet especially as I always find Mothers Day rather sad having lost my own Mum before I even had my girls.

Maybe - I've been following your news on FB. I am so glad you are going to be transferred back to your home hospital today and Little A is off the respirator. I hope things continue to run smoothly.

10 - is Little S responding to the ABs now? I hope so.

Beaut - Your DH sounds like he needs a good talking too, I'm glad his mum saw the error of his ways. Re travel with a newborn, I've done it and its pretty good as they are so still and portable for the first few months. I just chucked them in a Baby Bjorn and breastfed on take off and landing. No probs. We'll fly to France in August and we are camping when the baby will be 5 weeks (!) so I'm banking on this one being well behaved.

NG - Are you OK? Have you made up with DP? You sound a bit down all the way over there in France. Any news on getting your DD into a nursery?

Little - Sorry to hear of your work stress and Parish feud. I can't remember whether this is your first child but my advice would be don't give up all outside stimulation, it's easy to lose sight of your old self when a baby first arrives and I really valued the few things I kept going from my old life.

Sea - How exciting to be home! How was the journey? Have you embarked on the house hunt? Does it feel odd to be home or is it just a huge relief?

Beaver - Great news on the house chain, how brilliant to have a real, empathetic human being in your chain.

Is anyone else suffering itchy skin? I really am. Not just on my bump but everywhere. It's really annoying. I've also hit the two stone weight gain mark :-(. Other than those to things I'm doing pretty well and even managed two fun nights out this weekend, but I could do without the itchy fatness.

Arti Sorry about your mumsadGlad you had a nice day with your girls though.

Thanks for the advice re travel ladies.I hadn't even considered a baby Bjorn I was just going to take pushchair.

I'm sorry to come on and rant again.However, having never suffered spd or anything I'm not sure if I have it or just general aches.I have a doctors appointment on Wednesday.Im struggling to walk.I have a pain which is hard to explain it basically runs from under my bump right round and up to my bum cheek.I also have a pain in my lower back and an ache in my lady bits.So basically my whole hip feels painful.Im crying to turn over in bed and it hurts when I get up from sitting.Its often more painful on my left hip than right.What could it be ? Is it just as simple as the muscles are weak as its my third.

SevenReasonsToSmile Mon 11-Mar-13 10:13:22

beaut sounds like it could be PGP as well as possibly baby being low and putting pressure on your cervix, hence the pain in your ladybits. Try to take it easy if you can until Weds. Hopefully someone with PGP will be on soon and can tell you anything that might help smile

I've got my 28 week scan tomorrow and GTT, plus the kitchen is being delivered. We've got a couple of inches of snow here and it's still falling, hope it clears before tomorrow. Anyone else got any?

DS was meant to have a non-important hospital appointment this afternoon. I phoned to cancel as didnt think it was worth an hour round trip in the snow only to be told the dr is on holiday, its already been cancelled and re-scheduled for June. We hadnt even been told angry. Still at least I don't need to feel guilty for not going now.

ng1412 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:23:24

Seven lucky you didn't make the trip to the hospital! We don't have any snow but it is forecast for later this week. Ugh, had enough of it!

Arti we are now talking again, DH listened to what I said yesterday as he said this morning that I should look for recruitment agents for him in the UK. It is so frustrating when we fall out as I know he has our best interests at heart and he is a good man, it is just that he can't handle confrontation or problems. I have been able to tackle them head on all my life and have lots of practice. He doesn't, lucky thing!

Beaut that sounds very painful, sorry I don't have any experience of it. I am only an expert in lower back pain which wakes me up every night. Roll on 8 weeks....oh and then no sleep at all!

Boodstress Mon 11-Mar-13 10:23:42

Hi Beaut it sound like SPD to me. The doc will diagnose. I can't really walk anywhere to be honest. Exercises to strengthen your 'core' and pelvic floor will help as will a support belt and keeping your knees together as much as possible.

Arti I don't have the itching yet on the bump but I know it will come and it's horrible. Itching all over is a symptom of another pregancy condition but the name escapes me. It can be quite serious so if it persists I'd see your doc.

ng1412 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:34:45

Oh yes Art I have itching, on my back, legs and belly. I had it last time when pregnant with DD and my DH bought me a back scratcher, heaven! I think if it is on your hands and feet it is cause for concern as it indicates an issue with liver function.

I told my gyne about my itching last week and he said it was normal at this stage and didn't make me have any tests. But you should mention it to your midwife when you see her.

Bood Thats how I'm getting with walking.The school run a 10 min walk took me over half an hour this morning and that was on the way on the way back I had to keep stopping.

Ng Our DPs sound similar.This morning Dp woke me to say he hates arguing and said sorry shockI'm milking it for all its worth and tonight he is cooking for me.

Art I have the itching.My thighs, arms, tummy and under my boobs are the worst.Ive been using the sanctuary mum to be oil twice daily which seems to help.If it gets bad do contact your midwife to rule out obstetric cholestasis.

ng1412 Mon 11-Mar-13 10:39:58

Beaut glad to hear all is peaceful again in your household too. Weekends are always a bit touch and go for us. Well done him making dinner. Am impressed!

roastpotatoes Mon 11-Mar-13 16:14:09

Hi everyone,

I hope you'rs all doing OK. We had a scan this morning to check if my low lying placenta had moved out of the way. She couldn't see on the ultrasound so did an internal scan and decided everything was OK - so I've got the all clear - woohoo! Everything else looked good - baby estimated at 4lb and is head down so I'm really pleased. She was really sweet opening and closing her mouth and sucking on her hands. It made me realise it's a real baby in there!

I've been getting back ache, but weirdly it's high up on my back around the level of my bra strap. It's been really sore for about 5 days now - and makes me very short tempered and grumpy with dh!

Hope everyone else is hanging on in there and feeling OK. We're on the home straight now!

32+1

Ellypoo Mon 11-Mar-13 18:56:07

Beaut that def sounds like PGP, can your MW refer you to physio, they should be able to give you a belt but pelvic floor exercises may help, also do you have a gym ball? Sitting on one with you feet no more than hip width apart may help too.

I get itching on my legs but that could be to do with my hairs growing back from last wax & my boots!!. Also your skin is stretching so that doesn't help, but do mention it if it gets really bad.

So might you be looking at moving back to the UK then ng?

Sorry about all your rubbish dh's & arguments. I have to say, mine is very good but doesn't always think about things like Mother's Day, just doesn't feature on his radar at all, but at least I know that about him so am prepared!!

8 more days at work - yay!!!

31+6

Ellypoo Mon 11-Mar-13 18:57:26

Great news about your placenta roast! Are you going for a home birth now then or was it a water birth? Sorry - my brain doesn't function like it used to!

ng1412 Tue 12-Mar-13 08:13:31

Elly we are in the early stages of thinking about going back to the UK. Could take years to sell our house here so not getting too excited yet!

Roast great news abiut the placenta!

30+2

Roast Glad to hear placenta has moved.

Elly Thanks I will order a gym ball today. Is it you that has to use crutches for spd. I feel for you it's flippin agony. Any tips on how to sleep. My hips ache really bad and I get a pain in my bum cheek of whichever side I'm lying on. So I'm crying in pain trying to turn over every ten mins at night.

30+5

Boodstress Tue 12-Mar-13 11:52:06

Are you sleeping with a cushion/ pillow between your knees beaut ? This keeps your back straight which helps keep the weight off your pelvis. Also a bump support to take the weight of the bump. A full body genie pillow thingy does the job of both but I use a cushion and a double support pillow so whatever way I turn there is a wedge. My bump/hip is hurting at night this time as well so I pull the opposite bit of support pillow down and wedge it under my bum. I got mine in blooming Marvellous ages ago.

Thanks Bood Im currently bidding on a dream genii pillow on eBay and Ive just ordered a birthing ball to sit on.

The midwife can't see me tomorrow now so it will be an over the phone consultation. Grr I think when I describe the pain she will be able to tell. It's getting worse I don't know how I made it to work today.

roastpotatoes Tue 12-Mar-13 13:11:42

Thanks everyone. elly, I'm not planning a home birth, but they had said that I would need a CS if the placenta didn't move - so I'm pleased it has because I'd like a natural birth if possible. Might try having a go in the water if there's a pool available when I'm in labour but don't really know what I want - I'm a first timer so I'm just going to wait and see what happens!

beaut I hope your MW is able to help.

beaver33 Tue 12-Mar-13 13:29:00

Great news roast, must be lovely to hear.

Sorry to hear about everyone's aches and pains/itching etc. I've (so far) been mercifully spared but have had bad itching on the bump and, weirdly, on the backs of my hands and front of my shins nothing to do with not shaving my legs obviously

I have two pieces of news....

1. We exchanged yesterday! Move is set for this coming Monday. I'm so fecking relieved...and a little exhausted at the very thought, but nonetheless...our own home! At the age of 33 this is quite an achievement. Felt so grown up I also paid off the balance on my student loans. I am formally an adult.

2.I started NCT classes last night, and the little group were very nice. Bit weird as it's not exactly as local as I'd like, so it was all a bit 'what's your favourite thing about Croydon/Mayday Hospital etc' and we couldn't really share. I do, however, have a view of Croydon from my new back garden. It's all twinkly at night (less nice during the day) but if you squint your eyes it could be Manhattan.

31+1

roastpotatoes Tue 12-Mar-13 14:55:12

Woohoo!! Congratulations beaver - that's fantastic news! Thank goodness for that. Good luck with the move.

Boodstress Tue 12-Mar-13 16:08:42

Great news that you have exchangedb Beaver, nothing like the feeling of shutting the door on your own home.

I found the best thing about NCT was the shared experience. One of my now closest friends I met 5 years ago at NCT but we had different hospitals etc. we've ended up in the same village by chance but I think we were both the same kind of people/thought the NCT teacher was a lunatic grin

Ellypoo Tue 12-Mar-13 16:10:32

Yay - congratulations beaver, proper nesting can commence from Monday then!!! Woohoo!!!!

beaut, I second bood's advice re pillows - I have one between my knees at night, but I do get really sore hips regardless of which side I try to sleep on, which just adds to my general sleeplessness!! It really hurts to turn over too. I also sometimes wedge myself with a pillow under my right hip/side and sleep against it so I'm sort of half on my back, half on my side which does help, particularly with the lower back ache. However I manage to sleep though, I still can't walk in the mornings! I do have the crutches, but only for really bad days - it doesn't take much at all to overdo it though and need though sad

32+0 today = yay!!! 4 weeks tomorrow & my little one will be here, wonder if it will be the next arrival from the thread, or if anyone elses' decide to put in an early appearance!!!

Loving the pics of S & A 10 and maybe - they are both so gorgeous!!! I hope they are continuing to go from strength to strength xxx

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 12-Mar-13 21:06:17

beaver that's brilliant news, welcome to adulthood grin

elly I'm guessing you'll be next, can't believe its only 4 weeks until you meet your little one!

roast glad to hear your placenta has moved.

I had my 28 week scan today. They said she's a little on the small side but they weren't too concerned, and given that DD and DS were 9th and 25th percentiles at birth I'm not overly surprised. They gave me a 30% chance of preterm labour given my previous 2 early ones. The thing that's concerning me is that she's gone from being head down 2 weeks ago to transverse. I've dug out my birthing ball to try to encourage her to turn. Is anyone else's LO in an awkward position who wants a vaginal birth? I remember a couple of people saying theirs were breech but were having a CS anyway.

scooby26 Tue 12-Mar-13 22:06:05

Evening

Maybe- wow congrats,

Beaver- soooo pleased for you that you've finally exchanged... I so know how you feel about having been in limbo and feeling messed around... It'll long bforgotten by this time next week!

Who do I PM re Facebook? I keeping logging on here but never have time to post as only have iPad/phone at mo as no Internet at home as still no landline- courtesy of bt openreach!

Fed up of feeling run down and moaning so I shall say no more other than goodnight ;-)

X

This thread is not accepting new messages.