Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Working from home part-time with a 6 month old

(6 Posts)
rainand Thu 14-Feb-13 16:25:51

Hi,

Is it possible to work from home part-time with a 6 month old or 1 year old without getting a child minder?

I suspect it'll be difficult but would it be possible?

minicreamegg Thu 14-Feb-13 16:30:54

suppose it depends on what your doing, I have a 11 month old everytime I stick the laptop on my knee he thinks its time to press buttons.

bruffin Thu 14-Feb-13 16:34:30

I did it, working round naps and when dcs were asleep. I worked 20 hours from home for 8 years then went on to 12 hours home 8 hours office for the next 3 years.

I started working from home when dd was born and ds was 2. DS went to nursery 2/3 days a week and dd started nursery when she was 2, again 2 to 3 days a week.

rainand Fri 15-Feb-13 10:02:37

bruffin, thank you! smile how was it? How did you manage? Did your DH help out with baby sitting? Any advice?

Would you also advise that I go back to working part-time as soon as I can rather than wait till 6 months?

bruffin Fri 15-Feb-13 10:31:12

Thankfully my employers were flexible as long as I met deadlines. Sometimes that did mean very late nights as I just worked
round the dcs
Thankfully Dd was a bit of an angel and was very regular with her naps and slept through from 3 months.
I started when Dd was 6 weeks after starting my maternity leave the day she was born. It wasnt intentional she decided to turn up 3 weeks early. I had worked from home a few weeks before that. Nobody to do my job at work so that wanted me back asap.
It was hard work but so much better than having to commute and pay extra childcare. Dh worked long hours and sometimes abroad but he was fully supportive when he was home.

rainand Fri 15-Feb-13 11:27:17

Thanks bruffin, that really helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now