Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 4 - don't forget your pelvic floor!

(997 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Sat 09-Feb-13 18:13:34

Last thread too full to add a link, hope everyone can find their way back!

massagegirl Mon 11-Feb-13 14:01:28

The nct bed nest and also the Troll one. But quite expensive compared to Moses basket so just not sure. Am same with not much room in our bedroom so can't have big cot.

AmIGoingMad Mon 11-Feb-13 14:46:03

Everything went well at the scan thank goodness! We're team pink!!! Quite a shock and it will be a lot more expensive but we're soooo happy! Now I need to work out how to sell on eBay to fund our new team member! Can't believe how much stuff we have up attic from DS! Must admit I'm really excited tho and won't be quite so outnumbered in a couple of years now!smile

learnermummy Mon 11-Feb-13 14:53:34

Congratulations AmI I take it you already have boys too? Lovely surprise!
I'm looking at bedside cots rather than cribs just for longevity. I want one where the side goes up and over rather than down and under so that you can start the evening with the side up but easily lift when in bed go feed. Only ones I've come across are troll and brio but they're hard to find.

Sarah2506 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:01:22

Ah here you all are! You go away for the weekend come back and the thread is full! Home on the sofa right now with a cold. Under normal circumstances I might go to work sick but so can't be arsed right now. Have to say you lot with your shopping does freak me out. We have bought nothing and I really have no idea where to start. I find it all so overwhelming. I guess I don't know what sort of parent I want to be, though I think I like the idea of not doing the on demand thing. And we've agreed co sleeping certainly isn't for us. But there is so much info out there, all conflicting that its so confusing! Or is this just me?!

Sarah2506 Mon 11-Feb-13 15:12:10

BTW; NCT rent bednests for 99 quid for 6 months. As above I have no clue so I have no idea whether this is a good thing!

suzyrut Mon 11-Feb-13 15:16:18

Congratulations amI what lovely news xx

Sarah hope you feel better soon, I've certainly lowered the bar on how sick I'm prepared to be before not going to work, you're recouperating for two now!

I agree there's lots of conflicting info on ways to parent I can remember sitting at the top of my stairs with a copy of gina ford and a large vodka and orange 13 years ago waiting for ds to stop crying and soothe himself to sleep it's horrible and honestly I felt like a total failure. I might just not read anything this time and see how I get on! xx

redwellybluewelly Mon 11-Feb-13 16:46:54

AmI congratulations! I think dividing clothes into six month groups sells best from what I can gather. I'm in the second hand market for dd as she is growing too fast! And nursery ask they have three changes of clothing a day.

As for parenting styles I think anything whoch becomes labelled is doing itself a disservice, lot to be said for trusting your instinct. I suppose I'm what you'd label an attached parent, except that "group" dont thibk I am becasue I dare to work full time and see my child only in the evenings and weekends and will do with this one too. We had sleep issues so severe for so long dd's paed got us a sleep psychologist, and we learnt a lot from that experience if anyone wants to know more then pm me but I dont want to upset the friendly nature of the june baby bus!

We had a bed nest but I hated it, too heavy, will probably have to use it for this baby unless I can trade it somehow for a Co sleeping crib. We're borrowing a moses basket this time round for downstairs. Anyone else worried about the way toddler will wake baby and vice versa?

MrsBri Mon 11-Feb-13 17:58:55

Congrats AmI :-)

I hope the shock has worn off now and it is 100% excitement!

Sorry you're ill, Sarah. Hope it passes soon.

We've just bought this wallpaper: www.linenstore.co.uk/Baby-Animals-Wallpaper/P-and-S-International-PAS0568210HAPPY-Happy-Lions-Wallpaper to redo the wardrobe doors in baby's room which currently have nasty paper on them. Couldn't resist it!

forgetmenots Mon 11-Feb-13 18:29:08

Congratulations AmI! smile
Has everyone now had their scan? Exciting!

Just found this thread! i wondered where you had all gone, then realised it was full shock
Congratulations aml!
I'm feeling very hormonal today, also very tired, grumpy, fat and frumpy!!
Decided I don't like any of the mat clothes I've bought, even though I've been wearing them a couple of weeks. On the plus side we've just ordered our crib from John Lewis, our cot and wardrobe from mothercare, and decided on the pain colour for baby's room. I'm trying to get as organised as I can as bit worried this hip/back pain is getting progressively worse.

AmIGoingMad Mon 11-Feb-13 19:06:11

Thank you! smile

Great advice too re eBay redwelly- thanks!

Hope you feel better soon Sarah and littlemiss too. I feel good today as the scan has put me in a good mood bit generally have been feeling shattered so can definitely sympathise!

Lovely wallpaper you've ordered mrsbri!

I finally feel like I can start planning properly now and am off for a look around the shops with my mother tomrw for inspiration. Although I do keep panicking myself with the Nhs disclaimer that they can't be 100% when they tell you the sex. Well look at that I've managed not to second guess for all of a few hours before creating another worry for myself! Right off to look at 'girly things'. I've notice lots of baby girl clothes in blues and brights in last couple of weeks so that will be a lovely change from the all pink I would have been expecting!smile

So is it just me with my head firmly in the sand re getting stuff ready, then? grin We have done precisely nothing, although we did reach viability day yesterday (24 weeks) so maybe that will encourage me along a bit...

I do have 2 pushchairs on watch via eBay though, does that count?!

grainmum Mon 11-Feb-13 22:32:03

No Rue I'm in the same boat. We have one packet of vests and a couple of packets of nappies that were on special offer. Nothing big. And I'm 24 weeks tomorrow. Still. that's 16 weeks to go...

redwellybluewelly Mon 11-Feb-13 23:12:48

We haven't really done anything.

I need to sort out clothes, luckily I bought unisex up until about 3months, and we need to get a new mattress for the moses basket we were given.

Still need to paint the room the baby and I will be in, and get a new double bed frame. Need to sell our buggy and buy a double.

I have bought a pack of newborn nappies which were in offer but I need to get this bump a cuddly.

concentrating on getting downstairs done, and having a wall of cupboards built for storage.

AlohaMama Mon 11-Feb-13 23:29:38

Congrats AmI, exciting. Is that everyone for scans then?
Redwelly I'm the same as you. Boxes of clothes to sort. I had a quick look the other day and realised a lot of the newborn stuff had gone stained in storage so might need a little bit of shopping. And now the dilemma, do we hold on to our boy clothes just in case we have another? Complicated by the fact that we're now considering whether to move back to the uk this summer, which will involve lots of decluttering in general. Don't even want to think about that right now though.

MrsBri Tue 12-Feb-13 07:04:19

I'm always really organised, so that's why I'm sorting stuff now. Also, I earn extra money each month by drafting witness statements, so I'm using that money to buy stuff with as it comes in.

I have no clothing whatsoever, but April is (usually) bonus month (though if we get one this year it is likely to be the last, thanks to changes to solicitors' costs) so I'll go shopping then and bulk buy all the clothing.

I like to know I'm sorted :-)

MrsJLS85 Tue 12-Feb-13 07:36:24

Hi everyone, just marking my place on new thread!

Feeling a bit rough still; I literally have every symptom in the book! Who are these women who don't find out they're pregnant til the end eh? because I feel like such a bag of tools! insomnia, vomitting, indigestion, restless legs, itchy tum, headaches, sore back, etc etc. Ah well, its all worth it right!! smile

learnermummy Tue 12-Feb-13 08:06:23

I'm the same Rue, have bought absolutely nothing, just have the bits I have been given so far. You could say I'm still in denial smile!

MrsBri Tue 12-Feb-13 08:27:59

Ah yes, the leg thing, Mrs...I get woken by my aching legs every night :-/

I've no idea how someone cannot know. Especially when baby is moving around!

Phew, I'm glad it's not just me! grin

MrsBri I know someone who discovered she was pregnant at about 30 weeks gone, she had no bump, no symptoms, had been out partying/drinking as normal but getting odd "indigestion" feelings so went to the GP. Who thought she might be about 8 weeks PG and sent her for a scan... Fortunately, baby was fine! Can't imagine the shock though, she was in a daze for the next 6 weeks or so before she went on mat leave. I went on annual leave then mat leave at about 32 weeks with my first, couldn't wait - and with SPD was getting progressively less mobile so spending a couple of months on the sofa seemed like a fantastic idea grin

forgetmenots Tue 12-Feb-13 09:34:35

I think I could have gone a long time without knowing, and written the movement off as a dicky tummy - would have taken me until about 20 weeks to suspect I reckon. Didn't even think I was when I took my test, but had been basically testing every month due to mad cycles! Just as well I did (although the lovely glass of vair nice Rioja I had just poured had to go down the sink! sad )

SunnyL Tue 12-Feb-13 10:03:52

I still remember the girl in the year above me at High School. She went to A&E with stomach cramps and suspected appendicitis and 5 hours later a baby came along. I asked my Dad at the time who was a GP if it really was possible to not know you were pregnant waiting for him to poo poo the idea. When he told me he'd had numerous patients over the years it had happened to I got a major shock. Cue all the girls in my year running to Boots at lunch time for pregnancy tests (it wasn't the classiest of schools).

Thank God I've got 8 months to get used to the idea!

redwellybluewelly Tue 12-Feb-13 12:44:18

To be fair in my 1st pg I wouldn't have known until probably around 24 weeks as no bump, few movements I had felt like wind and I wasn't really that sick. I also had been treated for severe acid reflux for years and my MS in my 1st pg was pretty similar.

suzyrut Tue 12-Feb-13 12:47:18

I marvel at people who didn't know...dropped a spoon in pret just now and couldn't bend down past my bump to pick it up from under the table!

Olimoss Tue 12-Feb-13 12:48:34

I think it's amazing how the movement thing is different for all of us.....I wasn't expecting to feel for a while because although not massive I'm also not a skinny minny...but I felt the baby move for the first time in late December and he's been increasingly punchy and kicky to the point of becoming quite regular with his schedule.

I saw the consultant today and mentioned that the baby had gone a bit quiet but I reckoned that was normal (ie: just checking in with consultant that it was) and he rushed me into scan and trace and all sorts. Bit anxiety-making.

Anyway all is fine, he's just changed position and is kicking to the back instead of the front. Growing normally but has an abdomen circumference on the 90th percentile. Fatty!

I've been told I can drink coffee and cold things all day to try to kickstart him back into kicking but to be honest it's been nice to have a night without being punched in the guts!

Good news on your scan AmI - have we anyone left?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now