Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 4 - don't forget your pelvic floor!

(997 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Sat 09-Feb-13 18:13:34

Last thread too full to add a link, hope everyone can find their way back!

MrsBri Sun 10-Feb-13 12:54:58

We are in rented, but all we have to do is ask permission of the landlords to decorate. We are going for light yellow paint and using the soft furnishings to add pattern.

It would be a hard hearted landlord who refuses!

I can wallpaper, though I've never done it with patterned paper. I think I could though. DH is awesome at that kind of thing, so I'm not allowed to do it, even if I wanted to. Boo!

Mawgatron Sun 10-Feb-13 14:55:37

Mrs bri, he is really suffering. I suspect it was the two mojitos and Harvey wall banger in the hotel bar afterwards that finished him off. He was hammered when I left him and that was at 11.30- he didn't stumble into our hotel room until 3.30... Revenge is sweet...
In terms of decorating, my little drunkard is a decorator which is handy, as I could never do as good a job as him. This means I don't ever have to do it - woo hoo!
Not ventured to the maxx recently but def will, heard a lot of good things about it!

pinkapples Sun 10-Feb-13 16:06:57

Is it me or is anyone else really exhausted? I feel so tired all the time hubby is so surprised I'm never awake hehe grin bought a dream genii today just waiting for it to be delivered now this week x

Withalittlesparkle Sun 10-Feb-13 16:26:39

I can't believe you're all decorating nurseries already!!!! We're barely at the 'lets start emptying the room' phase! Think I need to start getting a wiggle on!!

I have however gone through the wardrobe this weekend and cleared it out and chucked lots of stuff out of our room so we now have extra storage space!

We're not even due to get our nursery furniture until I'm 36 weeks!!

massagegirl Sun 10-Feb-13 16:38:35

Don't worry sparkle. We're having work done to the house when baby is born otherwise there will be no room, so I'm not getting my hands on the nursery til they are about 6 months old sad

Olimoss Sun 10-Feb-13 16:42:48

Oh you're all making me feel guilty about not actually decorating the baby's room. Essentially he will be in the spare room closest to ours till he sleeps through the night, then will move to the smaller room at the back of the house. It's a nice, light room, and we'll keep the paintings and giant wall clock that are in there already, as well as add the cot, chest of drawers/change table, and an arm chair, but that's it! So not really decorating it for a kid, if you see what I mean.

We figure the baby will not remember and in any case their vision is such in the first several months that black and white is the best colour scheme for them anyway (although our house has very pale grey walls inside)....

Are we being terrible parents?!

cyclecamper Sun 10-Feb-13 16:56:37

Don't worry Oli, we are not decorating and I'm half hoping that the big lad and his girlfriend will move out before we need to do any more room emptying. Not terribly optimistic though.

MrsBri Sun 10-Feb-13 17:22:09

A new baby may well make them want to move out, cycle, don't give up hope just yet!

And I'm not sure why we're going to decorate so soon (probably excitement) as baby will be in with us for a while to make night feeds easier. Once (s)he sleeps through the night (s)he'll go into the nursery.

However, the walls are an alarming bright blue at the moment, which is just wrong, so would have needed a coat of paint in any event, so we may as well go for something we really want!

We've just taken delivery of the moses basket DH used to have as a baby, and is actually 57 years old soon, as it was bought by his gran for his mum's cousin! We're getting it re-lined and have bought a mattress for it, but it's nice to have something that was used by DH :-)

AlohaMama Sun 10-Feb-13 19:17:16

Wow that is some vintage basket! I suspect better made than new ones as my not even 2 year old one is fraying.

SunnyL Sun 10-Feb-13 19:17:51

Ach we're only decorating because we moved into this house brand new a few months ago so a) it's easy to move stuff around as we haven't gotten too entrenched and b) all the walls are boring white and offend me. DH only likes white walls so took the opportunity of him being at work this weekend to do the decorating!

MrsBri Sun 10-Feb-13 19:22:13

It doesn't look that old at all. It's wicker and very sturdy :-) Slightly larger than those you buy now too, so it actually needs a pram sized mattress rather than the standard Moses basket size.

Sunny, I'm impressed with your efforts! Has your DH seen it yet?

dreamydays Sun 10-Feb-13 19:54:57

Hi everyone. Just on Tens machines, I hired one last time but found it no help at all, even though it was the only pain relief I had! I was in labour at home during the night, trying to keep moving, but kept getting tangled up in the wiring. Psychologically it was good to have a button to press during contractions, but physically I found it made no difference to the pain. My friends found the same. But, clearly it works for some people!

Also, on weight gain (sorry I'm a bit behind the chat), when not pregnant I find I can get away with eating the odd bar of choc (ok a lot of bars of choc) as on the whole I eat ok and get quite a bit of exercise. But at the moment I'm finding every non-healthy mouthful goes straight to the scales - seems so unfair - is anyone else finding this? I'm shaping up to be big as a house!

LexiLexi Sun 10-Feb-13 20:24:13

Evening everyone, our TK Maxx gets new stock every Thurs, so I try to get there before Sat to pick up the nice items before the shelves get rummaged. Not sure if deliveries are the same day at every store so may be worth asking at your local.

There were some lovely Stella McCartney items in the newborn section in ours, plus a good selection of Gro-bags.

Also politely avoiding the scales, as I've gone chocolate mad these past few months...

Very best of luck for your scan tomorrow, AmI

MrsBri Sun 10-Feb-13 21:24:57

Yes, good luck, AmI.

Were you team yellow or finding out?

Mawgatron Sun 10-Feb-13 21:46:04

WOO HOO! Just won a stokke sleepi package on eBay, saving roughly £500.
Sorry, didn't know who else to show off to, as my non pregnant friends would not give the slightest shit/have a clue what I'm on about.

redwellybluewelly Sun 10-Feb-13 22:13:45

Well done Maw wish I'd seen it! Loved it last time but couldn't justify the cost.

Good luck AmI look forward to hearing about baby's antics smile

Withalittlesparkle Sun 10-Feb-13 22:28:11

maw love a good eBay win!!

We've decided we don't need to buy any clothes at all after seeing what my sister had 'put aside' for us now we know we're team blue! I have enough baby grows, body suits, tshirts, jeans, jumpers, coats, booties, mittens and bibs to take me easily through the first 6 months! Some of it still has tags on!!

Anyone else has having worries about snow again? During the last lot of snow work closed at midday by which time the roads were so bad that husband couldn't get to me so I had to walk home, all 5 flipping miles!!!! My belly has since expanded in size and I'm just not willing to risk the walk again!!!! So am already preparing myself for a fight!!!

learnermummy Sun 10-Feb-13 23:26:13

Hello all my weekends are so busy I never have time to mumsnet hmm. An having a mild panic here about where baby stuff will go. Boys are in own rooms and don't want then to share and also don't really want to lose spare room too soon. We have a big bedroom so space for cot but have no idea where baby clothes etc are going to go! Need to get organised!!

AmIGoingMad Mon 11-Feb-13 07:54:49

Morning all! Thanks for the good luck messages! I'm all excited and nervous. Little one has started moving around again this morning tho so I'm taking that as reassurance fingers crossed! We're hoping to find out- since we decided to I just can't wait so I'm hoping we have a cooperative one in there! Will let you all know how it goes- scan not til 11 and that's if appts are on time so I'm not sure how I'm going to wait til then!!!

A lot of our decorating/ buying will depend on what happens today so we've not done anything yet. Very impressed with you lot tho- especially wallpapering yourself- dread to think if the mess I'd make of that!

learnermummy Mon 11-Feb-13 07:57:40

Good luck AmI! Hope time passes quick this morning.

suzyrut Mon 11-Feb-13 09:51:15

Morning all, sounds like everyone had a busy and productive weekend. I went to Ikea, with pretty much every other pregnant woman in London on Saturday and bought a chair and footstool for night feeds (determined not to fall into the trap of doing it in bed like the last two and not being able to get them out of there till early teens!) I think I'm going against the tide though because a woman at work was impressing on me the importance of attachment parenting on Friday, I had a quick look on the internet but not entirely sure it's going to be for me. Anyone else had any experiences on this? It was all Gina Ford and controlled crying when I had my others.

Maw one of my friends is giving me her old sleepi, her daughter hardly slept in it so just need a new matress, yeay!

AmI good luck for today, will keep my fingers crossed for some uncrossed legs xx

pinkapples Mon 11-Feb-13 12:42:36

I'm the same Suzy of course I want to bond and it is important since its a long awaited IVF baby but I to will be teaching the art of controlled crying as I work in a nursery and the on demand thing just isn't going to work for me grin feel mean when I hear about co sleeping and all the rest of it but think its for the best for me...

Had another session at aqua natal on Sunday which was good makes me want to have a water birth grin any ideas whether I can do this or not on my first? obviously depends on when baby comes

learnermummy Mon 11-Feb-13 12:59:23

No reason you can't ask for water birth pinkapples as long as you don't need to be monitored or on a drip and they have a pool available of course! For my first I laboured a while in a pool but then got out for epidural.
I did cosleep with ds2 and found it much easier but then I am a bit lazy! He's a great sleeper by the way (in his own bed). Will probably do the same with this one and am watching eBay for a bedside cot.

massagegirl Mon 11-Feb-13 13:36:18

I really like those bed side cots think might be the best of both worlds?
Just back from hospital appointment and my bp was high enough for them to worry, urine was fine, baby heart rate a bit quick, am home on sofa and made executive decision to not work tues and weds to try and bring it down and get rid of this bloomin cold/combo. Reckon taking it easy til it's rechecked on thurs might be the best thing. I like to think I'll so routine and controlled crying but then sleepless nights might mean I'll do anything!

DontmindifIdo Mon 11-Feb-13 13:58:14

massagegirl - which side cots were you looking at? We didn't get one for DS but got a moses basket instead, which he'd outgrown by 8 weeks and his big cot was too big for our room so I had to put him in his own earlier than I wanted sad (Quite happy to nick someone else's research!)

I'm trying to get a little more organised with the baby's room, need to get DS out of it first (hopefully will have the final things out of the spare room and in the loft tonight/tomorrow night, clean the carpet on Wednesday night, DH is going to just patch a few bits of the paintwork that have been scuffed with the furniture that's in there now) DS should be able to be in by Sunday - so then the weekend after we can start sorting the baby's room - that's the plan anyway...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now