Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

June 2013 - Thread 4 - don't forget your pelvic floor!

(997 Posts)
redwellybluewelly Sat 09-Feb-13 18:13:34

Last thread too full to add a link, hope everyone can find their way back!

Hurrah! Was just looking to see if anyone had started the next thread grin

learnermummy Sat 09-Feb-13 18:18:36

Thanks redwelly, must go do my kegel trainer app!
I've hired an Elle tens both times before so will probably again. There are various websites so ill have a look what the best deals are. Have never had braxton hicks but you can usually order extra sticky pads to try it out beforehand.
Happy sat night everyone, I've actually booked a sitter tonight and we're out for dinner but to be honest a night on the sofa would be very appealing!!

AlohaMama Sat 09-Feb-13 18:27:36

Thanks redwelly, and for the reminder. Wish you could get tens here. Or even gas and air. It's epidural or nothing.

MrsBri Sat 09-Feb-13 18:31:26

I finally made it to TKMAXX today and got myself the Dream Genii pillow, the last pack of aden and anais muslins and the last small aden and anais gro bag. I'm rather pleased with myself!

Can't wait to try my pillow tonight. Hoping I'll be far more comfy now.

forgetmenots Sat 09-Feb-13 18:59:40

MrsBri I have all three and at the moment love the pillow most grin have been in TKMaxx most weeks just in case there's new stock.

End of the gap sale had a few lovely unisex bits so I snapped them up too!

MrsBri Sat 09-Feb-13 19:03:57

Our TKMAXX is being extended, so I'm hoping there will be more stock when they open the new part in 2 weeks. I move next weekend, so won't be going then!

I detest how jumble sale the place is though, it has to be said. Ours was utterly chaotic today :-/

DontmindifIdo Sat 09-Feb-13 19:04:05

hello! Signing back in.

MrsBri - I've been sleeping with my lovely huge maternity pillow thing (not sure which one it is, I bought it over 3 years ago when I had DS!) - it makes such a big difference.

Feeling very happy today, my hip isn't hurting! First time in about a month. Yay!

BTW - on the previous lists of "thing you need" I've thought today of something else you'll need, really good handcream! In the first year you spend so much time washing your hands or handwashing things, you'll need it to avoid old lady hands...

forgetmenots Sat 09-Feb-13 19:10:05

There are two city centre ones where I am (glasgow) - one is much neater than the other and I tend to go there. Always worry that I miss out on bargains by not being a good rummager!

Good tip dontmind! smile Molton brown next stop!

AlohaMama Sat 09-Feb-13 19:12:47

Definitely hand cream. I often give that as a new mum gift! And love Aden and anais, they are so useful and pretty. I wish I needed more things so I could justify shopping. Oh yeah and maybe some money to spend too...

redwellybluewelly Sat 09-Feb-13 19:23:06

[Blush] just happened to be passing through

I think we hired our TENS via a money off voucher through the NCT and it was good value for money. Used it throughout labour.

This time I won't be but as im signed up to every parenting page under the sun if I do get a money off voucher appear again then happy to post it on

Also, I wondered if those of you who have been feeling sick of an evening have tried liquid gaviscon? DH got me some last night and I feel so much better this evening, have had some after every meal. And I had cake today, usually that makes.me feel sick within an hour.

cyclecamper Sat 09-Feb-13 20:08:17

MrsBri I got my dream genii today too (in the post from ebay!) so I'm looking forward to bedtime so I can try it out. I also got a couple of maternity swimsuits, so I'm going to investigate our (brand new!) local pool this week.

I'm using tons of hand cream already - the baby seems to be sucking all the moisture out of me!

I found out that there is a fairly local yoga centre that has a drop in pregnancy yoga class so I might try that out this week too. The local NCT group is about 5 miles away, at the top of a hill and the classes finish at 10 pm on Thursdays, which is not a time that I want to be hanging around bus stops. It's 2 buses from here as well, so I am probably going to give that one a miss!

learnermummy Sat 09-Feb-13 20:11:21

Gaviscon didn't leave my side during first pregnancy but am fine this time so am guessing its another bald baby like ds2. Heartburn is a horrible thing.

I don't like gaviscon, however I have been popping spearmint flavour Rennies like nobodies business. Not so bad today although I've just eaten a sherbet fountain, so give it a few minutes... grin

pinkapples Sat 09-Feb-13 22:37:52

Picked up my new car today gringrin

Toyota Aygo Ice a bit tin like but a nice enough commute car for hubby grin

Having some funny feelings tonight maybe baby has managed to kick through the double duvet placenta as the midwife describes it grin like pops but weird hopefully get some proper feelings soon midwife said might not be till 25 weeks blush

AmIGoingMad Sat 09-Feb-13 22:58:44

Marking my place as I'm rolling around in pain from indigestion. Will catch up tomorrow! Night all!

Withalittlesparkle Sun 10-Feb-13 00:05:18

Marking place

Mawgatron Sun 10-Feb-13 00:16:44

Hi all. Just in from my wedding, was absolutely stunning. Have left husband behind, to continue getting hammered and dance to dhol drumming (Sikh wedding). i was really good, and only had a glad of wine despite it being A COMPLETELY FREE BAR!!!!! Gutted, have never been to a wedding with a free bar before, Sod's law the first one I go to and I can't drink!
Hope everyone else has had a pleasant eve? Anyone else watching milk on bbc 2? Amazing film...

AmIGoingMad Sun 10-Feb-13 08:09:45

How typical is that maw- free bar while pregnant! Glad you had a lovely day and very impressed that you lasted until so late!

Will have to give gaviscon/ rennies a try- last night was painful!

How are you all getting on with your dream geniis? I bought one last time but took it back as it was just too big for me! Going to ask DH to dig out the wedge pillow and bolster that I used last time today tho. Are you all doing the sleeping on the left thing now? I can't quite manage it at the moment as DH is on my right and I also feel really comfy on my back. What are your thoughts on it?

I'm also thinking that after our scan ( tomorrow yey!) I might have to make a trip to tkmaxx. I haven't been in there since uni as the general jumble in our local one put me off. There's a newer bigger one now tho so I'm going to have to brave it after all the bargains you've found! Do they just keep getting batches of the Aden anais stuff randomly or is it quite a rare thing?

Also- I'm definitely with you in the hand cream front. Mine have been awful back and forth since DS. I've been loving soap and glory and Crabtree and Evelyn la source when I can get there/ splash out.

Congrats on the new car too!

MrsBri Sun 10-Feb-13 09:09:13

I can report that the pillow is very comfy...and I've only just woken up!

I alternate between my left and right as my legs ache quite a bit so I can't lie in one position all night. The pillow was fine to use like that, although it was obviously backwards for some of the night, but still gave me support. I had found myself waking up on my back, so this should stop that. Though that was weird, as I never sleep on my back!

My understanding is that you never know what TKMAXX will have, so it is just what is there on the day. Not helpful, I know.

Maw...Alanis should have written about the free bar :-/ At least you had a great time. I assume your DH is suffering today?!

And congrats on the new car, sounds lovely!

massagegirl Sun 10-Feb-13 09:17:52

I agree about TK max. I hate shopping there for clothes but actually if you are going for baby stuff at least it's all in one place. Have got a couple of bits from there... Wish I'd seen the dream pillow sounds lovely!! I might venture there today but am full of cold so chick flick at cinema while oh does DIY seems bit more appealing.

SunnyL Sun 10-Feb-13 11:22:17

Hi all. Learning a life skill this weekend - wallpapering! Seems to involve a lot of phone calls to my dad but baby's room is shaping up. I did have a little temper tantrum part way through yesterday but thankfully being a stubborn bugger another trip to B&Q to get the right paste and a sneaky Cadburys caramel set me back on course. Got very cute owl wallpaper from B&Q which is about the only decent gender neutral wallpaper I could find. Just the corner and door to wallpaper now - wish me luck!

pinkapples Sun 10-Feb-13 11:58:20

Awwww sunny how exciting we have our paper but no joys getting it up yet although as its a mural we are having it done professionally by a friend of ours didn't want to risk it as hubby is crap at DIY grin

SunnyL Sun 10-Feb-13 12:13:31

My DH knows how to wallpaper but hates any form of decor other than institutional white. The only way I was getting any colour in the nursery was doing it myself hence hours of phone calls to my dad and watching instructional videos on YouTube!

cyclecamper Sun 10-Feb-13 12:37:33

We live in rented house, so couldn't wallpaper if I wanted! I have admiration for those who do! We could paint, but I am totally rubbish at anything involving coordination and my Husband's asthma can't cope with the smell, so we have to put up with the peeling paint we have. Ho hum. The dream genii worked pretty well, although I need to work on positioning it. It worked brilliantly as a back pillow for sitting up this morning, folded round on itself grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now