Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2013 - fretting our way through the first trimester

(1000 Posts)
KamikazeeKid Sun 03-Feb-13 13:38:51

Created as other thread filling up!

Babyboo79 Tue 19-Feb-13 19:04:45

Happy Birthday Lexy! Congrats to all those having scans today.

I was leading a workshop today and realised half way through that my new pot belly was really noticeable...

Think i'm going to have to start wearing some looser clothing until I hit the magic 13 weeks and can share the news.

andadietcoke Tue 19-Feb-13 19:49:01

ready this one was private, the first one was at the EPU, and was just a little bit early to be completely reassuring. Plus I'm obsessed with vanishing twin syndrome!!

It was a great experience though, she let us listen to the heartbeats and talked us through all the measurements and their development. I hope you enjoy your's as much tomorrow (especially after today!).

Rightly or wrongly we've started telling close friends and finished off the families. Lots of people have nhs scans this early (less now admittedly with the NT but for a long time it was normal) so we decided to go for it.

BinarySolo Tue 19-Feb-13 19:51:06

Thanks redandyellow. I feel a bit reassured. I'll still worry slightly until it's sorted though!

CamomileHoneyVanilla Tue 19-Feb-13 19:54:41

Congrats to everone who've had positive first scans recently. I haven't looked at whole thread as not on it anymore but still touch base with it occasionally to see how you're all getting on. Dietcoke, especially made up for you - welled up a bit when I read you're story of the scan - in a good way. Glad its going so well.

kimjayne Tue 19-Feb-13 19:56:47

Okay, please can somebody either put my mind at rest ... Or just tell me to stop being stupid! My sickness has eased off today and my boobs have been feeling fine (not sore) for a few weeks now. Also they don't look any different or bigger. Im.feeling a bit left out and seriously wish I had a pregnancy gage on my tummy to tell me how things are progressing! Still another 9 days before my 12 week scan. I literally can-not-wait! ! Desperate to check all is well in there.

BinarySolo Tue 19-Feb-13 20:11:25

Kim, my sickness has eased off now too. I'm 11+3 but I think it's to do with the first trimester coming to an end.

Have to say I've been far more laid back about things this time round. Fingers crosse for tomorrow's scan tho, then I can properly relax. Well for a short while anyway!

batfuttocks Tue 19-Feb-13 20:28:28

Anyone else insanely thirsty in the evenings? Drinking pints of water! Needs to be VERY cold though.

Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:30:56

bat have you had any scans yet? An sure I read somewhere raging thirst can be a twin sign...

smallsmith Tue 19-Feb-13 20:37:36

Hi everyone, I'm new here and have been a bit shy about posting! But just wanted to say hello and join the group, as I just found out I'm a September due date, rather than August.

Kim, you're not being stupid at all, I've spent the past 2 months worrying about every little change - what does it all meeaaaaann? I'd convinced myself that it was all in my head, and my growing belly was just from all the cheese and crackers. But had the 12 week scan today, and there is a baby! I know how agonising the waiting is, but you will get there and it'll be worth it!

Good luck everyone and nice to meet you! x

batfuttocks Tue 19-Feb-13 20:42:13

Scan yesterday and just the one! Maybe it's just me?!smile

badguider Tue 19-Feb-13 20:43:49

Oh shit.. I've been drinking about 3 litres a day of water with a dash of lime cordial... not been scanned yet and keep having nagging unexplained thoughts of twins... shock

Girraferama Tue 19-Feb-13 20:51:04

Just turned over to 'the fixer' with Alex Polizzi...is it mean to be pleased that she looks like shit (compared to her usual immaculate self) because she's pregnant?! How refreshing to see a 'celeb' who is suffering the same woes!

Pinkbump3 Tue 19-Feb-13 20:54:05

Has anyone not opted for the nuchal screening scans? When asked today i said no now starting to wonder if i have done the right thing?

BinarySolo Tue 19-Feb-13 21:00:45

I'm constantly thirsty. I was with my first pregnancy too. My husband was disgusted because he offered to make me a coffee and I asked for a glass of water too. What is this blimmin one drink rule he's just invented? He did bring me both tho!

Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:06:26

New thread here as we're nearly full again

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/antenatal_clubs/1688235-September-2013-roll-on-the-second-trimester

Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:06:50

I'm extremely thirsty too, getting through 4-5 pints a day....and then peeing constantly of course!

I just watched 'the fixer' and didn't even notice she was preggers! Was nodding off towards the end tho (way past my current bed time of 8.30!)....yawn.

WhizzsMum Tue 19-Feb-13 21:12:42

Happy Birthday Lexy

Creamtea and Dietcoke - I fear I may be the next twin announcement, I keep dreaming of twins, we have twins on both sides of the family and have also fallen pregnant straight after a mc. What is this twin criteria questionairre that was mentioned earlier in the thread? I'm only 9+4 so have a little while to wait until scan. We are considering twin insurance though!!

For those of you who now have August EDDs - I'm a foundation stage teacher and my DD is an autumn born, due to start school in sep but could have done with being born a couple of months earlier and starting last september. I have august birthdays in my class who have coped much better than some of my Autumn borns. Personally I don't think it matters when they are born, any decent teacher will treat each child in their class as an individual and support them from where they are developmentally regardless of where they are in comparison to peers. Plus, at least there'll be one year less of child care to pay for grin

kimjayne Tue 19-Feb-13 21:12:51

Smallsmith and binarysolo - thank you both so much for your reassuring posts. I just worry that im becoming symptomless! My boobs have been fine for a few weeks now but im wondering if that's Coz im only a small bra size? Does your breast size effect how sore they get?
It's reassuring to hear other people saying their sickness eased off around 11 weeks.
It doesn't help that im not showing in the slightest. I've not even gained any weight. Seems odd to be complaining of lack of sickness,soreness and weight gain. But now im wishing for it all.

Creamtea1 Tue 19-Feb-13 21:17:52

Whizzsmum - I'm quite fascinated by the twin thing and looked up some apparent 'factors' in increased likelihood of twins - you probably know them all already: twins run in family, not first pregnancy, mother taller than 5ft 6, mother bf'ing whilst concieved, early bfp, severe sickness, showing early or early weight gain, I think there might be couple more. When coke and midwife found out they were having twins I got them to check yes/no to the questions - mostly to see if the so called factors looked to be true! I know for coke, she basically had none of the above!

WhizzsMum Tue 19-Feb-13 21:28:32

Thanks creamtea - just had a little google search myself.

So, my mum was a non-identical twin, this is my 5th preganancy (1DD and 3mcs), I'm 5ft 10, bfp showed positive at 3+3 (i just knew and couldn't wait until my period was due), I've suffered with nausea and sickness much worse than with DD and am bursting out my clothes already (stayed in normal clothes until 4.5months last time round). I'm trying not to convince myself either way, as I don't want to fret about it all the way up to scan date but know I will anyway plus, if I'm not, will I be disappointed when scan shows 1? Oh all the uncertanties are killing me (I'm such a control freak and just want to know now!)

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Tue 19-Feb-13 21:31:37

Binary solo I have actually just laughed out loud at the 1 drink rule. I always ask for a hot one and a cold one! I'm also super thirsty, but non preggers I'm thirsty too

I've had my 12w scan today. Had about 15 min of scan. Doesn't seem real yet. Can't connect that the blob on the screen is in my belly. All ok for me so far. I saw consultant re BMI and depression meds and he said to be honest I'm not worried about your high BMI - you have no other risks and he was happy for me to continue with the midwife.

He has set an alert for the neonatal team on birth because of the drugs I take but there is no option in that. I'm already on a lower dose, and only just balanced.

I went to dog agility tonight, I think that's my lot with that. I can't speak cause I'm so breathless. And I'm not unfit!

What is next for me? Do I see the midwife again? Should I ring to say I've been scanned?

Manoodledo Tue 19-Feb-13 22:24:51

pink I'm not planning to have the nuchal scan done. Didn't have the tests with my two previous pregnancies as I felt sure it wouldn't change anything. However, I now find I'm wavering slightly... That probably doesn't help does it.

HettySunshine Wed 20-Feb-13 06:50:32

Pink, I said no to the nuchel. We just decided that it wouldn't change anything and we'll cross any unforeseen bridges when we come to them. I know we'll manage whatever happens.

Dorita75 Wed 20-Feb-13 07:29:25

Yes batfuttocks very thirsty in evening and it has to be ice ice cold. Jealous of coffee drinkers, I've not had a tea or coffee for weeks, can't stomach the thought. Am drinking lots of icy cold milk though.

Kim my symptoms are easing up now I've passed 10wks, tho although the nausea feeling is not as strong, I'm getting more frequent urges to retch and need to rush off to the toilet, it's rare that I'm sick tho.

Those with awful midwives should definately complain, don't let them get away with it, get someone else. You'll be helping future women too if you make a formal complaint.

This thread is not accepting new messages.