Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

September 2013 - fretting our way through the first trimester

(1000 Posts)
KamikazeeKid Sun 03-Feb-13 13:38:51

Created as other thread filling up!

badguider Fri 08-Feb-13 17:48:23

Thai takeaway for dinner tonight - omg I am getting so fat. Just compelled to eat anything with fat and salt in it sad

Manoodledo Fri 08-Feb-13 17:51:39

oh eek, I'm with purplepoppyseed on this. I feel for you though, it must be really stressful. Keeping my fingers crossed for you.

BinarySolo Fri 08-Feb-13 18:13:48

Badguider - thanks for the heads up. I feel even more pissed off that she steam rollered over me now.

Eek - can't believe your mother feels that way. What a terrible thing to say.

CheeseStrawCraving Fri 08-Feb-13 19:23:50

binary also to add on to your nuchal thread, my mw said you should say yes now as the actual appt they book for your scan needs to be longer. As badguider says, you can refuse on the day but you can't do it t'other way round.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Fri 08-Feb-13 19:25:00

Had a right panic earlier, a spot of blood in my knickers. I was nearly on the phone to the midwife when I thought I'd better wait a bit. I've checked about 5 times and there's definitely no more blood. I think it may be from a scratch or something. I did stop breathing for a time though.

redandyellowandpinkandgreen Fri 08-Feb-13 19:25:39

DH has gone to the shop to get me a Toffee Crisp for the shock.

Wibblytummy Fri 08-Feb-13 19:50:24

Hello Ladies, sorry I haven't checked in for a while. Was wondering if anyone can help me with a query. Out on a playdate with my DS and his friend today and the other mum mentions her other DC has whopping cough. Now I remember hearing lots about Whopping Cough and pregnancy on the news a while a go but have no idea if this run in with a potentially infected family puts baby at risk? When I google (trying not to look too in to far with Google for fear of horror stories..) is that pregnant mums are now offered whopping cough vaccinations at 26-28wks to help prevent newborns from contracting it... I'm in a confused state, do I need to call the midwife?

LexyMa Fri 08-Feb-13 20:13:13

Wibbly

here's the info about WC in general - doesn't say anything about quarantining family or it being a specific risk to women in early pregnancy.

and here's the page about the vaccine

Usually, community midwives don't mind being called about even the tiniest little worry-bead. If you haven't booked in with MW yet, call GP to be reassured.

BinarySolo Fri 08-Feb-13 20:18:50

Redandyellow I had a small bleed with ds and bled when we had sex for the first time after conceiving. Generally it's nothing to worry about and is very very common in early pregnancy.

BinarySolo Fri 08-Feb-13 20:22:05

Bums, already got my scan appointment through so I guessing it will be too late to have the nuchal measurement done. Should have insisted with the midwife but I'm not confrontational.

CheeseStrawCraving Fri 08-Feb-13 20:34:26

Binary call the hospital from your scan appt notes and tell them you want to add the nuchal if you do want it, they may just have to give you another appt date. It's your decision and you shouldn't be bullied one way or the other.

Re food, I've just eaten two rounds of cucumber sandwiches with sea salt, followed by some Cornish ice cream. Been craving both all day, no idea why as I don't regularly eat either, but hey ho, didn't argue with my body :-)

CheeseStrawCraving Fri 08-Feb-13 20:35:08

Ps just bought French Children Don't Throw Food, been after reading it for ages, anyone read it?

badguider Fri 08-Feb-13 20:53:38

Wibbly my MW said wc is a danger to newborns not pregnancy. That's why we don't get the vaccine any earlier than 28wks - cause it is for the baby after birth.

CheeseStrawCraving Fri 08-Feb-13 23:55:59

Does anybody know where I can buy maternity jeans or trousers for tall people?? I have been to the usual suspects such as Topshop and M&S, but I wear a 34-36" leg... I would usually buy Topshop tall or similar in normal clothes, I just haven't really found anything yet if you're tall and upduffed... Thanks!

CharlW1 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:04:02

I'm having a private scan today - I'm 10 weeks today! so so nervous.

Currently lying in bed and anytime I move I feel very very dizzy, anyone else had this? DH should be doing overtime last but I'm scared to be left in charge of my baby!

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Sat 09-Feb-13 08:21:52

girlwiththeyellowhat- are you dehydrated or do you have high or low blood pressure?

jennimoo Sat 09-Feb-13 08:22:45

Have you had something to eat and drink girlwiththe yellowhat? Hopefully just a morning sickness sort of dizziness that wears off soon, although haven't really had it myself. I did feel like I might pass out on my last pregnancy, but was later on and a hot day!
Hope you feel better soon.

Peabody25 Sat 09-Feb-13 08:25:25

Yep I've had dizziness all week! Doc said its due to fluid in the ears moving around, made worse if you're already suffering from nausea and sickness! He prescribed me some anti sickness tablets called cyclizine hydrochloride and they've helped loads with the dizziness and nausea as well! Get him to check for wax/ infection in your ears as well as that can also make it worse.

My blood pressure has always been fine. DH has just forced me to eat a bit of toast and drink some tea. My head is pounding!

PurplePoppySeed Sat 09-Feb-13 08:40:29

My sickness turned to dizziness yesterday too, my blood pressure was fairly low at my booking in which can also be a cause, taken it easy today, I'm hoping it'll pass too

batfuttocks Sat 09-Feb-13 08:48:52

Cheese, I am tall too and have never cracked this problem despite three pregnancies! This time I have some skinny cropped jeans from next tall section and a pair or over bump from next too. Both tall so leg length ok. The crops will be good in summer I guess and in the meantime I can wear boots over them!

Whingey this morning: feel sick, have stinking cold, can't poo and worst of all have flared up longstanding bad back so bent to side and every cough retch or attempt at pooing hurts to hell!

frogchops Sat 09-Feb-13 08:57:17

Morning! I'm 8 weeks today and not feeling a single thing. Anyone else in the same symptom free boat at 8+? I'm so worried.

HettySunshine Sat 09-Feb-13 09:24:12

Hey froggie, I'm 9 weeks today and have hardly had any symptoms. Try not to worry too much, I think the pregnancy symptom spectrum is very wide and some people are just at the easy, 'am I definitely pregnant?' End. I told the midwife yesterday I was a bit worried due to no sickness and she laughed in a nice way and said lucky me. smile

kimjayne Sat 09-Feb-13 09:40:02

girlwithyellowhat- i can literally only lie in my left side whilst in bed. If i turn or lie down on my back i almost instantly hurl. I've been like this for weeks though so had been putting it down to pregnancy rather than anything else. However, im prone to ear infections and build up so thinking i might get this checked out. Just a shame i cant get a doctors appointment for love nor money. Feeling really pissed off with my local GP surgery at the minute.
Anyway, enough of that. Has anyone else had an early scan but still worried that when they arrive for 12 week scan the bean might be gone? sad its all I think about. I know its not rational but im almost tempted to fork out for a second private scan. Even though i cant afford it. Does anyone else feel like this?
On a more positive note, i have named our little one 'pea', i know my pregnancy app is telling me its the size of a Kumquat but that doesn't quite have the same ring to it smile so its staying as Pea for the moment. Fingers crossed the Pea will show up on the 28th for my scan when i will be around 13 weeks i think.

This thread is not accepting new messages.