Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

September 2013 - fretting our way through the first trimester

(1000 Posts)
KamikazeeKid Sun 03-Feb-13 13:38:51

Created as other thread filling up!

Just read your link jenni and I was convinced we couldn't eat Parma ham. I didn't touch it during my first pregnancy and looked at it longingly in sainsburys yesterday!!
<grabs coat and runs to the shops>

HettySunshine Fri 08-Feb-13 12:05:26

It wasn't a booking appointment, just a getting into the system one. My booking in isn't until 18th. I feel a bit deflated. I'll be 10+2 by then. hmm

Wincher Fri 08-Feb-13 12:21:44

I think the parma ham and raclette one is OK - raclette is a hard cheese so that should be OK.

You're meant to avoid all types of pate, even fishy ones, because of the listeria risk. French food is a bloody pain to eat when you're pregnant! it's even worse if you're veggie, I guess!

fl0b0t Fri 08-Feb-13 12:22:41

Hetty- interesting- so did you just go and say hello to hte midwife? I've got my "booking in" appt in the diary for next fri, when i'll be 8+5 ish?

Eeeknumber3 Fri 08-Feb-13 12:27:27

Mmmmmm parma ham, I have just eaten entire tub of waitrose green Thai chicken soup, feel bit overstuffed

badguider Fri 08-Feb-13 12:35:49

raclette and parma ham would be fine to eat.

Personally in a really good restraunt i would probably eat the fish pate as it will be fresh made that day and no different from eating cold mackerel in a salad.... but in theory yes, you're supposed to avoid fish and mushroom pates as well as meat.

badguider Fri 08-Feb-13 12:40:02

But then i'm eating runny yolks in eggs cooked at home that i know are lion stamped and only avoiding them when out so i'm not the most strict at following rules.

jennimoo Fri 08-Feb-13 12:51:13

I avoided Parma ham last time so think its changed! All pâté even veg ones are on the avoid list due to listeria, but if you'd made it at home and eaten it right away I can't see there being a risk, so if a restaurant was making fish pate quite soon before you ate it I reckon the risk would be very low...
Feeling a bit off the idea of all processed food at the mo, with all these revelations about horse etc. I'm going to try to source my meat locally and avoid the supermarkets where I can, despite the cost!

HettySunshine Fri 08-Feb-13 13:14:47

Fl0b0t - yes, exactly that. Took a few details, gave me some leaflets and the form for my exemption card and booked me in for my booking app at the hospital. I had a full bladder too, for the urine tests. I was most disappointed. I'm a bit worried about getting my scan in time too.hmm

Rosyisgonnabeamummy Fri 08-Feb-13 13:17:52

That's the one kamikaze. Thought provoking huh?!

Massive craving for whetabix this morning - I was sure we would have some because hubby loves it. But no. I can not begin to describe the disappointment.

BinarySolo Fri 08-Feb-13 13:33:26

I must be being thick here, but what's the booking in appointment and how does if differ to a normal midwife appointment?

Mw basically told me there was no point in me having the nuchal scan because I wouldn't have any further tests. I'd have had it to get a risk factor and possibly prepare for a baby with downs. I wonder if I can ask them to do it when I have the scan as I feel slightly bullied into not having it, she'd filled the relevant section on the form before we'd even finished discussing it.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 08-Feb-13 13:50:29

binary that doesn't sound right of her! What did she mean, you can't have more test? Is CVS not provided in your area?

BinarySolo Fri 08-Feb-13 14:13:02

It's because I said I wouldn't have the tests that could be a risk to the baby and that I wouldn't abort no matter what the results were. So she said there was no point as I 'could worry myself unnecessarily'.

But my argument is that if I find out there's a chance the baby will have downs then I can mentally prepare for it, or as with my son I can be reassured. Don't know if I'll be able to say I wanted it but she overrode me at the scan and have it done anyway.

amiready Fri 08-Feb-13 14:55:23

Yes Binary you should push for having it. She can't make that decision for you. I feel the same as you - I want the nuchal scan so that I can have the knowledge we're heading that way if needed, but wouldn't abort or have the tests that have a risk of miscarriage. It's totally appropriate to want some warning if the baby is going to be disabled.

9+5 today! Oh going so slowly. Still haven't told anyone yet! Anyone on here still not told anyone yet??? I was wanting to hear a heartbeat on the doppler and get the contract sorted first....

Kittenkatzen Fri 08-Feb-13 15:12:25

binary we decided the opposite to you, and the mw at my booking in did look at us like we were slightly bonkers for not wanting to know - but she left the section blank on my form and just said that when I come in for my scan I should make clear to the sonographer whether we do/do not want it at that point. It shouldn't be a big deal at all if when you go for your scan you say actually we would really like the nuchal test please.

Creamtea1 Fri 08-Feb-13 15:18:24

10+1 today and am feeling a bit down...don't know if it's the nausea or the 'lieing' to people or just generally having turned into a hermit... Hopefully will feel better when we tell people. I know I'm being miserable as haven't stressed about weight or carbs or anything, just feeling sorry for myself sad looking forward to a week off work at half term though

SGJ Fri 08-Feb-13 15:23:23

We've only told my sister and BIL but not parents or my other sister or brother. I feel desperate to tell someone but it'd be a slippery slope and I keep imagining everyone knowing and then the 12 week scan showing that there's nothing there....
We've now met 4 newborns in the past 2 weeks as friends have been popping them out like mad and I am slowly allowing myself to get excited about the prospect of us having another one in 7 months!

For those of you bloated (like me!), my lovely sister the midwife said that a few drops of peppermint oil in hot water is not only a refreshing drink but will help reduce bloating. She is the voice of experience for many reasons so I'm going to try and source some peppermint oil and report back!!

fl0b0t Fri 08-Feb-13 15:43:18

hetty that's annoying- I've got DH working from home next Fri as I've got my "booking in" and I'm terrible at havimg blood taken. Hope its all over and done with that day.....

creamtea sorry you're feeling a bit rubbish, there's a lot of hormones going on I guess..... I did feel markedly better once we'd told a few people as it felt like the pressure came off a bit.

amiready I wish in a way we had a choice about telling people-we always said we'd wait until 12wks. It's hard to be signed off work for three weeks vomiting without letting the cat out of the bag a little..... You've got to do things your own way though smile as we were naughty and had an early scan, I know there's a cute little heartbeat (currently). Let's hope it sticks to 40ish weeks smile

Time is travelling very slowly though, you're right. Every day feels like a hundred days. I'm 7+5 ish and life is soooo slow right now!

I'm alternately lying on the sofa and trying to make DH a birthday cake between bouts of sickness!

Eeeknumber3 Fri 08-Feb-13 15:58:06

Back from having blood test to see if I have immunity to slapped cheek, my daughter definitely has it. Read horror stories on NHS website about people contracting it off small children and losing babies at 16 weeks, 19 weeks and have terrified myself. I have to now wait til next thurs for results to see if I'm immune or not. To make things worse, and I rue having done this, mentioned it to my mum who seemed to think it could possibly be a good thing if I spontaneously aborted....
creamtea sorry your too having a rubbish day, I'm going to stuff myself sideways as consolation!

EmmaDee Fri 08-Feb-13 16:34:58

Hi All, Hope I'm in the right place! This is my first pregancy and panicking slightly!! Had an appointment with the midwife on Wed and Im 7.5 weeks! Have toldmy mum buts that's it, waiting til scan to make sure alls ok first!

LexyMa Fri 08-Feb-13 16:51:58

Welcome Emma!

Eeek, your mum sounds quite a prize. What a horrible thing to say/insinuate. shock

fl0b0t Fri 08-Feb-13 16:58:47

Welcome emma! There's a few of us here expecting our first and also panicking! Sounds like you're due a similar time to me smile

KamikazeeKid Fri 08-Feb-13 17:17:44

Eek thats awful!!! What a thing to insinuate?!!

PurplePoppySeed Fri 08-Feb-13 17:33:34

Thanks creamtea, confusion over. Eek I think all mums and MILs forget what it's like being pg sometimes, hopefully she didn't really mean it, my MIL has come out with some odd ones at times too!
I'm massively craving jacket potato for dinner now I've caught up with the thred but had committed to a takeaway for dh's birthday dammit!

badguider Fri 08-Feb-13 17:45:55

binary you need to vcontact your MW about the nt test. I was told that I must take my notes with me as at the scan I can change my mind from yes to no but not the other way and if I don't have my notes with informed consent in it they absolutely will not do it.
We are having nt though we would not abort. We want as much info as possible and will decide about amino if the time comes.

This thread is not accepting new messages.