Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Due around Valentines day thread

(78 Posts)
iamwhaticallpregnant Sun 27-Jan-13 16:45:54

Hi ladies - I am due on the 12th of February. Just wondering if anyone on here is due around that time (Valentines Day time)? Say 5 days either side - ish?

I thought it would be nice to start a thread so
1/ we could just count down the days together (relieve the boredom)
2/ we could share our thoughts and worries and ailments
3/ we could announce news of our labours / baby's arrivals

I am based in Leeds, due 12th Feb with first baby - boy, terrified about labour, currently battling crippling acid reflux and indigestion and stabbing pains in my fanjo. 17 days to go and counting down the seconds.

JOIN ME brew

Saddlebagger Mon 28-Jan-13 10:24:20

Good to hear all these turning stories, mine is doing the hokey kokey - being engaged one day and the next have a stretch and a jive in my uterus... hoping by the end of this week (38 weeks) he/she settles down.

I'm also camped at my parents place with my husband waiting for our new house to complete. Cross fingers house completes v soon.

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 28-Jan-13 11:31:12

Oh dear - hope i am not in trouble for posting originally in pregnancy - It's the only forum I gravitate towards and hadn't even looked at any others / wasn't aware there was another one for me. So - sorry Mumsnet. My fault.

Good to hear from everyone in the same enlarged boat as me -
Today it is 16 days till I supposedly pop.

Don't know if anyone is the same - but every time I have a ...'movement' of the bowel variety I think it's labour. Every time i get a period type pain I think I am in labour. Every time I have any symptom whatsoever I think I am in labour. Suspect this is wishful hoping, wishin, prayin.....

The waiting game is horrid - and I keep on wondering what it will feel like when my waters break. Every time i see a baby on the TV I break down in tears - feeling so emotional.

LazyMachine Mon 28-Jan-13 12:39:40

Me too, iam - every twinge, every cramp, every poo makes me think 'is this it?' This is just as bad as the TTC 2WW symptom spotting!

I've just counted down and it's only 11 days til my EDD - that seems like nothing. And then I remember that it could easily be another two weeks after that...

Re. waters breaking - apparently only a very small amount of women (something like 15% or 20%) experience this as the first sign of labour. I was so surprised to learn this. Especially since every TV program and film sells us this story!

And my god, daytime TV is such shite. You know the Waiting Game is bad when you find yourself watching Bargain Hunt. How sad.

bangersmashandbeans Mon 28-Jan-13 13:31:30

I've just seen my midwife for 38 week appt. How awful is it that I was disappointed that my blood pressure hasn't skyrocketed and everything was 'normal' so the waiting game continues blush She said 'see you in two weeks! PLEASE NO!!! My DD is nearly 3 and very busy and most of her games tend to revolve around being on the floor - such hard work!!

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 28-Jan-13 13:38:47

ha ha - Mine is on Wednesday (the 38 week app) - my dream is she says "hop on the bed, let's have a look at you... oh yes, you're in labour and have been for days but some women don't feel a thing - You should give birth within the next 20 mins."
Some how - i don't think that will happen.

Nicky1306 Mon 28-Jan-13 15:45:48

Ha ha Iam!! I keep wishing that I'll hop up and she will tell me I'm 2cms already!! I keep meaning to start batch cooking........it hasn't happened thus far! Maybe I will do it this week!

I am the same with the period type pains I tend to get them for a whole after I've had a wee.....I think ohhhh this is it! Then nothing hmm

What are people's childcare arrangements that already have DC's? My friend is going to drive up but she lives 2.5 hours away so I'm a little scared she won't get here! shock
X x

bangersmashandbeans Mon 28-Jan-13 16:42:27

As this is baby number 2 the head isn't even engaged yet sad
I'm very lucky to have family close by so my parents will come over (both retired) and dad will look after DD1 and mum will come to hospital with me and DH. My sister has always done my childminding so dad will then drop DD1 to her for however long is needed. I'm very lucky I know, but as my last labour was only a couple if hours long its reassuring to know I have people close! If I ever get to that point....sad

iamwhaticallpregnant Mon 28-Jan-13 18:03:38

I have had strange feelings all day - a lot of pressure pressing down below - on front and back if you know what I mean. Think i have had Braxton Hicks too as my stomach feels very tight in periods. keep hoping it means something but nothing now...
Just read my first ever two 'birth stories' on my pregnancy app on phone (i have avoided reading anything on the subject) and they were both really different. one was a lovely waterbirth with nothing - not even gas and air - and one which lasted days with epidural and ceasarian. Feel much happier and calmer after reading them as I finally understand that every birth is different / you cant prepare - and no matter what happens - you will be ok in the end grin

Mixxy Tue 29-Jan-13 03:41:40

Can anyone recommend a good birthing video that I could order quickly, like on iTunes or Netflix or see on YouTube? I really feel unprepared for this birth and any helpful suggestions are welcome.

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 08:38:13

a woman I know recommended a film called the business of being born, you can find it online to watch apparently and she said it changed everything for her and she had a wonderful labour / that she loved it. I havent given it a go yet as im too scared to watch anything on the subject x

Mixxy Tue 29-Jan-13 08:44:41

Thanks, iam, I'm a bit in between myself on whether this will help or hurt me during the labor process. Wish I could have a glass of wine or two for courage before I watch from behind my hands!

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 09:09:10

I am exactly the same. I asked on here in the very early days if I should watch One Born Every Min or not and it was pretty 50/50 on the responses. I chose not to watch it because I am so scared I dont think it'll help me. I have been of the ignorance is bliss mindset - but now I am wondering whether I should just bite the bullet and watch something - maybe not OBEM though. i find it hard just to watch Emmerdale if theres a birth in it though.

Hi ladies, I'm due on the 17th with DD2, also in the Leeds area. I'm going to see consultant this afternoon to book my section, and since the elective's are usually a Thursday at my hospital there's a good chance she'll be a valentine's baby. Although I have recently being diagnosed with a cardiac arrhythmia so there is a chance consultant might bring it forward (really do need to get organised if this is case argh!)
So I might well be the only one of us with legs (& fingers) crossed that I don't go into labour immintly!

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 10:26:39

Oooh - good luck endoflevelbaddy - love the name. I am in Leeds too. it'll be lovely to have a valentine's baby. very romantic. keep us updated.

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 10:31:33

I asked about having a glass of wine during labour and our NCT teacher (a working midwife) suggested taking a small flask. She said that my MV will just look the other way! grin

Everyone in our class thought I was joking.

I wasn't.

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 10:32:01

*MW

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 10:41:29

I can't believe you had the courage to ask that - my midwife would probably slap me. It would be SO much nicer if we could have a bottle or two of wine at the time - wine, legs in the air - a normal evening for some people!

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 10:49:00

But there's nothing wrong with having a glass of wine (or two) during pregnancy. (Especially at the birthing stage - it's certainly not going to cause any harm to the baby!)

You do know that in the 60's and 70's it was quite common for MWs to prescribe pregnant ladies a pint of Guinness per day. High iron and mineral content.

Thanks iam I'll let you know what comes from apt later. LazyMachine my FIL actually bought me 2 mini bottles of wine for hospital bag, bless him, handed them over with a wink saying 'you'll be ready for them love', considering all the fuss I had from MW over an egg mayo butty after delivering DD1 I think it'll be frowned on if I get them out grin

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 10:51:54

Although to be honest, I'm not sure that wine would really go down well with me during labour. I'd probably puke it back up immediately! I'll just stick with the enotox...and maybe some pethidine...perhaps with an epidural on the side. grin

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 10:53:42

Your FIL is sweet, baddy!

But I'm so confused why your MW would be weird about you eating an egg mayo butty. There's nothing in that to harm you or bambino.

Saddlebagger Tue 29-Jan-13 10:58:04

Wine is such a wicked idea. I hadn't even thought of that! Got a mini bottle in my kitchen - it's going in the hospital bag right now...

I just look at my belly these days and think 'nah, surely you can't grow anymore! It's got to be time for you to come out'. When I walk into a room now the first thing peeps do is clock the belly, look a bit scared and say 'wooooah'

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 11:00:12

Yes Lazy - and I do have the odd glass of wine. Some evenings I worry that i will have a glass of wine - go into labour - get to the hospital and they will ask if i have had any alcohol as it will be dangerous mixing it with the drugs they give you and I will have to say yes and they will think of me as the worst mother ever! grin

iamwhaticallpregnant Tue 29-Jan-13 11:04:32

Saddiebagger completely empathise. My belly looks comical now. I look like a cartoon of a pregnant woman.

LazyMachine Tue 29-Jan-13 11:48:24

Another cartoon over here. I'm grateful that I've not put on weight anywhere else, but it makes my belly look even more ginormous!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now