Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 thread 4 - keeping the duchess company

(960 Posts)
Runswithsquirrels Sat 26-Jan-13 13:53:01

No one seems to have started a new thread yet, so here we go!

princessllama-dc3-27th June
CottonSocks - 1st July
QuinandThem - 1st July
Badgerwife - DC2 - 1st July
Cutandstick - 2nd July
Runswithsquirrels - 2nd July
Thinkingof4- DC4 -2nd July
VinegarDrinker - DC2 - 2nd July
Persuasion - 3rd July
esme80 - 3rd july
Glup - 3rd July
emblosion - 3rd July
BB01 - 4th July
Dinkystinky - DC3 - 4th July
elliejjtiny - 4th July
wifey6 - 5th July
Notprincesskate - DC2 - 5 July
OhGood - 5th July
PenguinsInThePantry - 5th July
marmitemad DC2 - 6th July
Gingerpanther27 - 7th July
DifferentNow - DC5 - 7th July
Abzs - DC1 - 7th July
Efme - 8th July
GeorgieWilson - 9th July
shelley72 - 9th -
Devilforasideboard - 10th July
CitizenOscar - DC2 - 10th July
TwoOfThree - DC1 - 10th July
Calmisthemantra - 11th July
Specialknickers - 11th July
MrsMillions - DC1 - 11th July
mysterymeg - 12th July
Reikimummy - 12th July (DC1)
SlouchingPanda - 12th July
Thundercatz - 12th July
Twirliedobbit - DC4 - 12th July
Hai1988 - 14th July
LittleFlower888 - 14th July
Tashtastic - 14th July
Beaditsback - dc2 14th July
Lizincornwall - 15th July
Mizar - 15th July
photographerlady - 15th July
Guavasforbreakfast - DC1 - 16th July
paolocee/donna - 17th July
MiniPenguinMaker - DC1 - 17th July
MrsWildermac - 18th July
TotallyEggFlipped - 18th July
SingingMomma - 18th July
GingerJulep - DC1 - 19th July
Niktasha - 19th July
whitedaffodil - 19th July
Grannyapple DC2 - 19th July
orangebubbles - DC2 - 20th July
Thinking positive thoughts - 20th July
Cheeseandbread - DC1 - 20th July
AmaDablam - DC1 - 21st July
butterflyexperience - 22nd July
BadMissM- DC2- 22nd July
AllYoursBabooshka - 22nd July
Isitme1 - 23rd July
MightBeMad - 23rd July
Supershiv1 - DC1 - 23rd July
Boostar - 24th July
Cantreachmytoes - 24th July
MrsRoss26 - 24th July
Camb79 - 25th July
Sashabella0 - 25th July
BoyMeetsWorld - 27th July
marimama - 27th July
JessicaMLH - DC2 - 27th July
Flyingsprocket - 29th July
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus - Unknown

photographerlady Mon 28-Jan-13 07:46:14

Good morning. Crammed and standing on the train again, I think now might be the time to get a baby on board badge. It's amazing how people will run you over just to get a seat.

Good luck to all those with midwife appointments this week smile

16 weeks

Yay to the end of ms sunshine! Looks like there's some hope for me yet - I was fearing that if I still had it now it would hang around til the bitter end...

15+6

I always sleep on my back and can't sleep any other way. Last time I just increased my pillows until I was propped up really well. I used a triangle pillow too, which helped to keep me proper up a bit.

photographerlady Mon 28-Jan-13 09:17:14

Oh quick question: Anyone still taking pre-nat vitamins? Just a little worried about my iron but going to up my intake of cashews (which I LOVE), brazils, apricots and wholegrains.

BB01 Mon 28-Jan-13 09:29:40

Flying, really hope the bleeding stops or that you can get some more reassurance soon.

Devil, such a shame about your cat. I don't know about you but whenever I have pets they feel like a proper part of the family...it's hard to imagine if you don't have any but they really do!

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 09:52:52

Photographerlady - definitely get the badge - its like a magic badge honestly!
Am still taking prenatal vits as they are good for Vitamin D which is quite hard to get at this time of year (esp as am stuck in an office for the time the sun is out) and want to keep my zinc levels up as 2 baby boys have depleted my body's zinc stores rather.

Paolocee - brave man making that crane joke! Donna is normally quite fit isnt she so seeing her body grow in this way may well be freaking her out. I was uber fit before having DS1 (used to kickbox and train 5 times a day) and once I had embraced that there was absolutely nothing I could do but accept it actually quite liked watching my body get into the most extraordinary shapes. Make sure she moisturises her bump (and hip area) lots to help reduce chances of getting stretch marks - not sure it does reduce the chances all that much, but its a nice way to embrace the changes and I find its great for connecting with your growing baby/babies.

Marimama- ROLF at your DH waking you up out of habit. Not sure my poor DH would dare...

Persuasion Mon 28-Jan-13 12:19:22

photographer I'm still taking vits. Me and DH have always taken multivits, would seem odd to me to stop now I'm pregnant. Mainly for the zinc, iron and vitamin D as others mentioned.

devil I'm thinking of you and devilcat. My cat was sitting up comforting me at 2 in the morning on saturday night when I was awake for 2 hours with horribly painful trapped wind. He makes me so happy I can't imagine coping without him!

flying I have my fingers crossed for you. Hopefully it's one of those harmless but annoying things and all will be fine.

I'm on my phone at work so can't go back too far but am glad generally people seem to be feeling a bit better and all seems to be going well. My newest symptom seems to be tingly boobs. Any ideas?

OhGood Mon 28-Jan-13 12:21:33

flying how are you coping with this? I am still reeling from my experience and every time I see midwife/doc I think 'oh god when are they going to tell me the bad news'. Are there any more theories as to what's going on?

cheekbyjowl Mon 28-Jan-13 12:33:47

@Slouchingpanda you didn't leave jl brochure on tube did you? I picked up one someone had,left yesterday. I almost missed my stop as my eyes were too glazed over with the cost! Cor blimey. Second hand it is then!

Speaking of hand me downs I've been blessed with offers of cots etc but some are 30yrs old. I'm really grateful for gesture but wondering whether safety standards have changed. Does anyone know where I can check?

@photographer I was thinking the same about badge but since I dont have a bump yet I would,feel like a fraud I think. Might wait till I have trouble standing.

BadMissM Mon 28-Jan-13 13:16:45

Cost of buggies frankly terrifying. I need one as small as possible, and as folding as possible as am --a short arse- quite small, and I don't drive. Also have pain problems, so needs to be as light as possible. Was looking at the Maclarens...

I'm going to have to get everything new...DD is 14, and all her baby stuff was left in France. Pity, as some of it was lovely and unisex.... Don't have any family even with LOs, DD one of the youngest...

I got some amazing dipped-hem tops in Primark yesterday...not maternity but plenty of room and plenty long enough....

This town full of retired grannies. If you take a seat on the bus, they look at you like you have murdered someone.... Waiting for the stand-off when I have a bigger bump!

Abzs Mon 28-Jan-13 14:02:56

cheek I was wondering that too. My dad still has my cot. Obviously would need a new mattress and repainting, but would anything else have actually changed that radically? Am I so naive to think a cot is a cot is a cot?

Grannyapple Mon 28-Jan-13 14:04:31

Hi ladies...hope everyone is well? Finally have a proper bump now & people are commenting on it...now wondering how big I will actually get shock

Back to work for a rest today....did a burns supper/lunch gathering yesterday for my nct friends....16 adults & 10 toddlers, running riot!! So glad to be back at work for the peace & quiet!!

Feeling tired & defo think I have sciatica....off work tottie as having a spa day with one of my mum friends who is also pg (due Apr)...might ask therapist to focus on my lower back...

Ooh just had a bit of good news from work...apparently they cover my childcare vouchers whilst I'm on SMP as they are legally obliged to & SMP is seen as a 'benefit' (as in govt benefit) & therefore cannot be sacrificed as such....means I can put DS into nursery 2days/wk whilst off, instead of only 1 grin

15 + 3 smile

esme80 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:19:46

granny sorry about the sciatica, sounds painful. Enjoy spa! Not jealous at all...

Surely if you cleaned, repainted an old cot and as long as the new mattess fit well it would be fine? I say go for it, so much to buy w first one I would take what you can thats free...

Grannyapple Mon 28-Jan-13 14:22:02

Sorry just re read that post...should say having a spa day tomorrow, not tottie (I am one at times....for non Scottish people, tottie is short for potato grin)

SlouchingPanda Mon 28-Jan-13 14:38:46

Not guilty, CheekByJowl - I definitely have it at home and have gone shock at it several times since! Gumtree is my friend...

MrsRoss26 Mon 28-Jan-13 14:54:58

I'm jealous of all you ladies with bumps emerging! I can't figure out how much of mine is pre-/pregnancy weight and how much is emergent bump.

I suspect I have he beginnings of back pain after sitting. Must move around more!

15+5

photographerlady Mon 28-Jan-13 15:30:04

Work day going soooooo slow. Has anyone signed up to any baby/parent packs online? I just signed up for boots but any more worth a sign up?

elliejjtiny Mon 28-Jan-13 16:10:33

I've done boots but that's it, most of them involve getting a lot of junk mail [cynical emoticon]

Has anyone else been getting boy/girl preference comments? I have 3 boys and people keep saying "so you'll be wanting a girl this time" and even randoms who don't know I'm pregnant see me with 3 boys and ask me when I'm going to start trying for a girl, argh. I don't care what I have although if I had to choose I think I would have another boy as we have a boys name picked that we both love and a girls name that DH loves and I like a lot.

Calmisthemantra Mon 28-Jan-13 16:24:47

Who was saying about tingly boobs? (on phone and can't see) my nipples have been erect since the startblush really uncomfortable and embarrassing when they stick through my clothes as all my non wired bras are thin. Sob.

I'm now 16+4 and still don't think I'm feeling any movements sad trying not to worry - I forgot this stage of pregnancy turns me into a worrying mess. Maybe my placenta is anterior this time. Can't wait to feel movements as its so lovely and comforting. I'm tall (5ff11) so dd never really got near my ribs!

Anyone else addicted to toast? It has to be almost cold with butter and/or marmitegrin

flyingsprocket Mon 28-Jan-13 16:25:43

ellie I've been getting a few quite forceful- which would you prefer questions. We're hoping to find out at our next scan. I think because I'm not the girliest of girls people assume I'd like a boy. Is anyone paying for an earlier scan to find out the sex?

Also had my first "was it planned?" recently, from somebody I didn't know! I'm clearly old enough at 34, I wonder is it because I don't have a ring on my finger?!

The bleeding is annoying but I haven't had any pain associated with it so hopefully it's one of those things. My OBS friend said it's often caused by a low lying placenta but that's not something they check for at 12 weeks.

13+6

ellie MIL told me that "two girls would be fantastic" and "another girl would be perfect", to which I replied that I found having a younger brother was pretty perfect too and I really don't mind what I have. She was really putting on the pressure for me to find out what we're expecting too which only makes me dig my heels in more apparently its SO much better if you find out.....

I went a bit crazy in H&M today. Went in for leggings. Tried on some maternity jeans and couldn't believe how comfortable they were. How did I manage without them before??? I got 2 pairs of jeans AND the leggings.

I'm still taking the frolic acid too. I know you only need to take it until 12 weeks, but it'll be wasted otherwise....

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 16:38:15

Ellie - I have 2 boys and have lots count of the number of people saying they think I'm going for a girl. I dont mind (though would sort of prefer another boy as I know what to do with them now!) so it is rather annoying me. too..

Tingly boobs might mean the milk ducts warming up - or the boobs growing - or just a reaction to the current v cold weather. Calm - on the plus side there are plenty of non-pregnant women suffering from erect nipple syndrome this January grin

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 16:38:53

X post Totally - glad you found some lovely new comfy trousers.

TomDaleysTrunks Mon 28-Jan-13 16:58:42

Afternoon all!

Another one getting comments about the sex of the baby. we have one DD ao people assume we are wanting a boy. We actually don't have a preference. It would be nice for DD to have a little sister or brother <shrugs>.

Tiredness is still lingering and managed to get extremely constipated. I probably took too many laxatives as have now gone the other way shock! I'm not sure how it happened as I'm eating loads of fruit and veg. Never mind!

14+2

dinkystinky Mon 28-Jan-13 17:05:00

Tom - are you drinking lots of fluids too? I find I get a bit bunged up if I forget to drink at least 2 litres a day. Hope the laxative effect passes soon though - sounds quite nasty!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now