Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

labour pain

(5 Posts)
Ginshizz Tue 22-Jan-13 11:26:16

The good thing about that is that the midwives will be able to suggest lots of things like trying different positions / movements / birthing pool / birthing ball etc to help. I found I couldn't really tell what was going to work for me until I was actually in labour.

Do you feel comfortable with the idea of pain meds or do you want to avoid them if possible? I am sure you have done this already but it's worth putting all of that in a birth plan and discussing it with the midwives when you go in so they know what you want.

dgift Tue 22-Jan-13 10:40:29

@ginshizz, in a hospital

Ginshizz Tue 22-Jan-13 10:11:52

I forgot to ask, are you having your little person at home or in hospital / birthing centre?

Ginshizz Tue 22-Jan-13 10:11:14

Hi, I had DC1 in May and I found the natal hypnotherapy CDs very useful

www.natalhypnotherapy.co.uk/pregnancyandbirthhypnosicds.html

I had an induced birth and it worked really well until a couple of hours before DD arrived so I also had some drugs too! Though, tbh, I think part of the reason I needed medical help was that I was moved to a brightly lit room and suddenly lots of midwives and drs appeared so I lost my relaxation somewhat.

I know it doesn't help actually reduce the pain but I found when I was just left to get on with it in a quiet, gently lit room, it was all much more manageable.

Congratulations and I am sure all will go smoothly

smile

dgift Tue 22-Jan-13 10:05:01

hi, am a first time mum and am due march 18. am going for vaginal birth, i need clue on how to manage labour pain.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now