Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

Those look nice, pear

peardrop2 Mon 28-Jan-13 15:44:35

I thought so bring grin I must say though I'm tempted to take JoJo's idea and buy cheap white ones and dye. Dye salt is 48p and one pack of dye is £4.99 so it could end up being just as expensive if you wanted more then one colour. I'm sure I'll end up buying some!

Is anyone else working on coming up with names? DH and I are having a REALLY hard time finding ones that we like, and then agreeing on ones that we like. I know we've got plenty of time...but it feels like we're never we're going to get this sorted! Urgh!

Lorelei353 Mon 28-Jan-13 16:31:24

Lots of decoration work going on here!

Our spare room is cream and is going to stay that way. We have done a massive clear-out and fortunately last week a storage cage came up for rent in our building (I live in a third floor flat) so we could move things like suitcases, boxes of old-things-we-can't-part-with-but-don't-use, and Christmas decorations down there to make more room.

In terms of names, we had them picked - boy and girl - but DH is rethinking the boy one now and I'm beginning to rethink the girl one. We'll probably stick with them though as we never agree on anything so we're unlikely to find more we both like as much!

Maybe you could ask for them pear as a gift or wait and see what you get? I got Muslims as a gift off someone and lots of vouchers for mother care etc, they are the kind of thing you don't need ASAP you could wait and see then treat when bubs gets here if you don't get any, you'd be amazed at how many gifts you get for your first child, even people my mum works with bought us things shock
I think names are a nitemare, we narrowed it down to 4 for dd but the one we'd favoured didn't suit her and we went with the one I least expected, I think it's nice to wait and see what they look like anyway but non of the names I had last year are ones I'd use now, I think if its second dc it has to kind of go aswell iyswim you can't have a fancy name then pick a plain one for your second! Well I don't think I can anyhow!!

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 19:29:18

I'm really beginning to hate baby names! We'd agreed on a girls name (Elisabeth, nn Lissy) but that's no use now! We're v keen on Biblical names but are really struggling to find ones we both like. I like the more unusual old testament names (Moses, Abraham, Asher, Gideon...) & he likes the more common ones like Matthew, Daniel, Peter, etc. We had sort of settled on Levi until I stupidly asked on MN what people thought. Some liked it, others thought it was a good name for a dog or just a bit 'lower class' & one person seemed to get really offended because the Levites were the special priests so it's apparently not like choosing any other name for Jewish people. <Sigh> I'm beginning to see the appeal of random, non-names. I might just call him 'Sofa' or whatever I happen to see first after he's born! It's too hard! sad

Oh Jo I couldn't agree with you more on hating baby names. DH is vetoing all of the names that I like, which is really hard for me to find in the first place b/c I've got this thing about not naming our baby something that is popular so she won't have 3 more girls in her class with the same name....I've suddenly become incredibly anal about where the name it placed in the top 100 names, it's gotta be less popular than that. This has become sort of an obsession of mine and it's just driving me crazy. I should just take a break for awhile! Plus DS2 has a very unique name and I don't know if we'll ever be able to be as cool in the naming department again after him.... so I totally know what you're talking about too, Kitty. <Le sigh>

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 28-Jan-13 20:58:25

Jojo, I knew someone with a very unusual biblical name that I always thought was cool. His name was Nehemiah. For what it's worth I also really like Moses and Gideon from your list.

We've got two names at the moment and figure we'll decide between them when we meet her. I'm with you bring would not want baby to have the same name as every other little girl in her age group.

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:12:19

I love Nehemiah! It's way too out-there for DH though! Did he have a nn or was he always known by his full name?

So Isabella, bella, belle, ect is a defo no no for us all then lol
I like quite traditional boys names actually and like William Steven jack ect but never heard of Asher before and think that's pretty cool
Is ds name traditional, who got there own way with that one?
I love my dd name and it isn't in the top 100 so all good there but hard to find one that matches up now

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:22:09

DS1s name is a traditional one, but doesn't seem hugely popular in this generation - DH had to decide because I just kept looking at him & nothing seemed right! We've agreed that I get to name the next one, although DH reserves the right to veto anything really 'interesting'! I think part of the appeal of the unusual names for me is that I won't have already associated the name with a face/personality. I knew numerous Matthews/Daniels/Davids growing up some of whom I may have had a thing for so it doesn't really seem appropriate to give my child any of those names!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 28-Jan-13 21:33:59

Evening all. <waves tiredly>

peardrop2 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:36:31

Kitty - you make a very good point about receiving gifts from friends etc so I've now made myself a 'after born' list to help control my shopping urges ;)

Loving the name chatter! I decided on a boys name about 2 years ago which DH likes a lot so we're sticking with that. I kind of feel I'm missing out! I did go through the name book just in case but nothing matched the name I like already. My dh is mega picky though so I can relate to your frustrations!

peardrop2 Mon 28-Jan-13 21:37:37

Will you all be choosing middle names or just stick to one name?

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 28-Jan-13 21:57:48

Jojo, we usually called him Miah (pronounced My-ah, not mee-ah). Slightly more unfortunate was that our childhood also coincided with a popular Pixar film, so we also called him Nemo a lot for a while, which everyone thought was so cool. He was a hit with the ladddieees... grin

pear, we'll use DH's grandma's name as middle name.

peardrop2 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:06:07

Ahh that's lovely Ohtheplaces

OhThePlacesYoullGo Mon 28-Jan-13 22:17:43

Hahaha talk about sub-conscience.... I guess I have been reading these forums too much, but I appear to have just married BF in my head. blush Ooops. (Don't tell him).

Hahah, oh that's ok Places smile Your secret is safe with us.

HI frus everything okay?

I have a friend who has a ds same age as my youngest named Asher and he's seriously the cutest little guy! I like the name a lot.

DS1's name is James and there are about a million boys named James-but we named him after my Gramps who passed away a few days after I discovered I was pregnant. That's the only kidlet we're allowing to have a very traditional and popular name.

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 22:50:09

Heehee! Sneaky - I love it! Just start referring to him as your DH & see if he notices! wink

Re: Middle names, DS1 shares DH's middle name & since both our fathers' middle names are the same, DS2 is sorted v easily! Not quite sure what we'd do if we have any more boys. I'd love to name one after my grandfather who died when I was 11 but he hated all 3 of his names & would turn in his grave! Personally I can't see any reason why anyone would object to Dudley, Lionel or Mortimer! grin

I think I have to avoid any name ending in 'iah' - it means God & is technically pronounced 'yah', rather than 'I-ah'. DFIL gave us a nice long lecture about how people mispronounce many Hebrew names a few months ago & I refuse to inflict that on any child! Unfortunately that means that Isaiah is out which is probably my favourite name that DH has been coming around to. Most people would probably spell it wrong anyway. sad We'll find a proper name for him eventually!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 28-Jan-13 23:13:48

Hey.
I'm okay bring, dd2 isn't well, I fell down the stairs yesterday bump is fine and dandy, but my elbow is bruised and sore
On a better note, DH finally felt bumpy kick. Dd2 has been feeling him for days, and finally seems to realise that there is a baby in the bump, as she "talks" to it, and earlier said "the baby" whilst pretending she had a bump too. grin
Bumpy has a name and a nickname already but not tempting fate by telling anyone and he has a hefty kick on him that makes me feel quite ill at times

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 23:20:21

Aww Frus that's so sweet! It's things like that that make me wish we'd waited until DS1 was older before having this one. I showed him a doll earlier, thinking that I could start introducing the concept of babies & gentleness. He poked it in the eye & wandered away. hmm

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 28-Jan-13 23:32:32

Ah but jojo is in many aspects much younger than her chronological age.
She won't play with dolls, it's much more fun to bash them on the head but she is a real sweetie with real babies, and tries to shove put a dummy in their mouth if they cry.

Jojobump1986 Mon 28-Jan-13 23:40:54

I shall try him out with a real baby sometime then. Maybe he'll be more careful! There'll be no shortage of babies for him to get used to soon - SIL due in Feb, his Godmother's due in April & there are various other people we know expecting shortly before DS2 should be making an appearance! He's trying out new words at the moment - giggle (tickle), dadada (daddy), duh (duck/any kind of bird!) - so we might have 'baby' by June!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 29-Jan-13 00:15:48

New words are always fab. "The" and "baby" are new words for us. Maigh leave it a few months before we try to teach her bumpys name.

peardrop2 Tue 29-Jan-13 04:06:39

Frus - glad to hear you're ok after your little fall down the stairs shock

My friend has a 2yr old Dd and a newborn Dd. The 2yr old tries to pick it up from the Moses basket like a doll all the time. It sounds really cute but it must be really scary to deal with!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now