Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 24-Jan-13 15:05:32

Hmm maybe the nap wasn't such a good idea, I feel worse now.

Lorelei353 Thu 24-Jan-13 15:49:20

Merry yeah, I'm definitely feeling wriggles now. Proper little bumps and pokes on the inside. Feels quite weird and takes a bit of getting used to but it's lovely.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Thu 24-Jan-13 22:01:53

So.... has anyone else been reading this threat? Are any of you planning to be SAHMs? At the moment I can't imagine it at all, I think I would be bored out of my mind. (Obviously not talking newborn stage here, but longterm). Not that it would be an option for now as am 'the breadwinner' grin.

Have you guys thought about how you will be splitting childcare with partner at first? BF and I have had a chat about all of this and have decided that he will do night-feeds, while I'll do the majority of daytime care whilst on maternity leave. Hopefully that will work out well and also means that we both get in a nice amount of bonding time with little one.

OhThePlacesYoullGo Thu 24-Jan-13 22:03:10

Thread not threat... blush

peardrop2 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:19:57

Ohtheplaces - I haven't got any set plans. I've decided as a first time mum I would just see what doors open and see how I feel at the time. I always imagined being a working mum but I recognise that things will change once my little man is here. My friends with newborns say they're so busy with play dates and being devoted to their child now that they can't imagine working now. There are so many stages and experiences to go through I'm glad we're given time to decide re working status rather then making a decision now before baby arrives.

On another note...does a newborn use a growbag? Would a 1.1 Tog be suitable for summer or do you just use a blanket?

Jojobump1986 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:24:54

I'm a SAHM (/Usborne book seller!) & for the most part I really enjoy it. I've tried the 9-5 thing & just found it exhausting. I eventually discovered that what I really love is childcare! I've considered careers in all sorts of things: teaching, biomedical science, psychology... But what I enjoyed the most was my early years education course. I find that I can get fascinated by lots of things & could quite happily pursue a career in any of them but all I've ever really been able to picture when I think about 'the future' is having children & romping around in the woods with them & nagging them to tidy their rooms...! There are times when I do get jealous of women who have successful careers, partly for the fulfillment but mostly for the social aspects & being a bit more comfortable financially, but I'd never really give up the time I get to spend with DS.

Jojobump1986 Thu 24-Jan-13 22:34:37

I used swaddle wraps when DS was tiny because he tended to startle quite a lot & would wake himself up. They held his arms down so he couldn't shake himself awake. As far as tog ratings go, if you decide it's not quite warm enough you can always pop a vest on or leave it off if he's a bit hot. I'm not sure what tog the sleeping bag DS is currently using is but it's designed for summer. He just has a thick vest & a baby-gro on & a blanket that we put over him when we go to bed. It doesn't stay on if we put it over him straight away! There comes a time at about 4-6 months when they suddenly start wriggling in their sleep & then there's no hope of keeping blankets on! DS usually ends up curled up in one corner of his cot. Looks v uncomfortable to me!

Absolute modern-day must-have for when you start putting them in 'proper' clothes: Sock ons! Best invention ever! grin

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 24-Jan-13 22:55:39

Eek jojo those socks on fill me with scary thoughts (My DH has orthoses that look very similar.)

I'm considering swaddle wraps, I found the groebags were quite big around the neck to start with and i used to worry that wriggly dd would slither into it.

I work part-time in a school, I think that if I either worked somewhere else (not term-time) or full-time I would consider being a sahm. DH was a sahd for dds and I worked full-time.

peardrop2 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:10:54

Thanks for your sleeping tips ladies! I brought a white swaddle in the JoJomama sale in January so maybe that will help aid sleep. The growbag does look very big to put them in at first! I will check those socks out JoJo thanks!

OhThePlacesYoullGo Thu 24-Jan-13 23:12:53

The socks look fabulous!

peardrop2 Thu 24-Jan-13 23:17:52

Oh I brought one of this dribble bibs in white and navy already! It's a good make.

Librarina Fri 25-Jan-13 10:07:36

My friends swear by sock ons... they are very cute in the bright colours, I think I'll get some for when baby wears socks (presumably they just wear babygros with feet in at first???)
I also really want These but can't justify 30 quid for some squares of fabric

Re: the Staying at Home = Living the Dream thread, I posted on that because while I think it's possible to have a lot, it's not possible to have it all, and for me 'the dream' is finding a balance between staying in a career I love, which I have worked hard for and spending time with the baby which I also love and worked hard for! I think for me the balance will be found with part-time working for a few years, say 3 days a week for me, and DH could compress his hours into 4 days. It would mean an end to the sort of treats we currently enjoy (nice coffee in the cafe after running club, weekends away up and down the country, nice clothes if we want them... that sort of thing) but instead we'd have different treats (baby giggles, days out in the park with a picnic etx) but should keep my hand in at work and my name known professionally.

In other news. I am wearing a maternity dress for the first time. It makes my bump look HUUUUGE, not helped by the fact that I've tied a ribbon under my boobs (seemed like a good idea when I got dressed this morning). Have paired dress with bright tights and furry boots so I look scarily like a knocked up three-year-old.

Lorelei353 Fri 25-Jan-13 10:23:08

I don't think I'd enjoy being a SAHM, but then I don't have any idea how I'll feel after wriggler comes along. It's not an option for us at the moment anyway. Living in central London we'll need two salaries. Also my DH runs his own business which, while being very successful at the moment and for the last 5 years, is obviously more precarious than my more secure full-time job. I have been toying with ideas of a career change in the last two years though as I work in newspapers which are slowly dying. I'm wondering if new ideas or opportunities might occur to me while I'm on maternity leave that I can pursue in the next few years and might offer more flexibility long-term - especially if I have another one.

Interesting topic though places!

I'd love to be a sahm!! I never though I'd feel that why before dd but I loved be off with her and going back has been really hard, I literally count hours although it might be partly as I still work 34 he's a week condensed into 4 days, 2 1/2 days a week would be lovely and the perfect blend I think!
Also agree with sock ons, they are great you wouldn't believe how many you loose, generally they do wear baby grows for the first 3 months but after that my dd had alot of dresses etc 3-6months plus it could be quite hot for our new borns wishful thinking! so you may have them in little short grows with socks earlier?!
I never swaddled but know friends whose babies liked it but we had a very small grow bag and used a breathable blanket. I never bothered with a sling either always tended to take the pram out, we borrowed a carrier off dsis but it was only used to pop to local shop once a week at most

peardrop2 Fri 25-Jan-13 16:56:56

Lib - do you think those bright coloured cloths would run in the wash or stain your clothes? I've been wondering about that. I'm sure we can find them somewhere (probably in a supermarket) for half price. M&S do them in shades of blue or pink for £14...not quite the same though as bright colours!

Jojobump1986 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:37:34

Cheap white muslins & fabric dye will do the job nicely. Make sure you do wash them once or twice post-dying before you use them on the baby though! It's a great way to make sure your muslins never get confused with anyone elses at baby groups. If you're feeling really creative you can tie-dye them for a really unique effect!

I'm currently the SAHM with DH working full-time. I got a little taste of being a working mum last year when I apprenticing and I really liked it! It was a lot more juggling of schedules and I realized that even though I was "working" I still had to shoulder the responsibilities of what a SAHM would do because DH found it really difficult to pick up those jobs for me.... but I felt a lot more like an adult and being able to go out in the world! Now that I'm taking a break from school and apprenticing, I'm back to SAHM. I like it. I do love being able to be with the kids (that was the part of "working" that was the most difficult. There was so much guilt with not seeing them as much).

THESE are the big deal around here these days (the States have finally discovered muslins)

peardrop2 Fri 25-Jan-13 20:01:19

Sadly I don't get on with home dying. The colours always look dull and nothing like on the packet. Good idea though if you happen to have different dyes at home!

I picked up bounty pack no2 today. Much more exciting free stuff in this one!

Librarina Sat 26-Jan-13 08:23:06

Ooh Trumpets I LIKE those. In fact I like most of the things on that site.

I popped into John Lewis last night to buy the baby something pretty as I was feeling bad about everything being second hand, but they had nothing nice, it was all really dull. So I had a makeover and bought myself some blusher instead!

OhThePlacesYoullGo Sat 26-Jan-13 12:57:06

Trumpets I love them!.

Have you guys started doing the nursery yet? We painted her room (green-ish) when we were doing the whole flat before moving in and I've started on her quilt (which is blues, greens and purples), but other than that we don't really have anything yet. Have decided to get this, this and this one and finally this for her walls as think it's super cute.

On another note went back to work yesterday for mid placement review (a bit late thanks to everything that happened), but got really positive feedback, which was brilliant. :D

Awesome news on the review, Places!

We have a whole lotta painting to get done around the house (like the whole house) before the babe comes as well. I hate painting, but I hate spending money on something I could do myself....I just have to go out and buy the paint, hope for a somewhat warmer day to pop the windows open and just get the damn thing done. Babe is just staying in our room for the first 6 months or so and then I'll think about her room.

I've found that about John Lewis too, Lib. I can never find something there that I like and it always seems like a very small selection! Have you tried Debenhams yet? This little lady is getting mostly second-hand from a store called Once Upon A Child. I get all of the kid's clothes there and you would never know that they are hand-me-downs, but everything is at least 1/2 the original price. I think I like shopping there for the kids more than I like shopping for anything for myself!

*meant to say "pay someone to do something I could do myself"

OhThePlacesYoullGo Sat 26-Jan-13 18:26:04

Trumpets I too hate painting, but painting baby's room was actually quite fun and BF and brothers did most of the flat painting anyways. Baby isn't going to sleep with us because of waking up during the nights. It's one of the many annoying things we are having to do differently. I know having to feed/change baby on floor and only bathing her with others around doesn't sound like a big deal, but it's not exactly how I kind of imagined things would be. Let's just say the last few months have been a bit emotionally charged for me (both good and bad). Poor BF; thankfully he is possibly the most stable, easy going and patient person ever.

peardrop2 Sun 27-Jan-13 23:10:38

Look I found some cheaper coloured muslins smile pastel colours not bright but coloured! m.toysrus.co.uk/Babies-R-Us/Clothing/Bibs-and-Cloths/Coloured-Muslin-Squares-8-Pack/0032213?searchPosition=2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now