Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

Jojobump1986 Fri 26-Apr-13 17:48:11

Pretty sure this baby is going to fall out if I stand up! We popped out to the shop & I was upright & moving around for 30 mins max but had to keep stopping & clenching to get rid of the imminent crowning feeling! hmm No contractions or anything, just felt like he was about to drop out! I then had to drive home because DH wasn't feeling well enough. That was a fun journey! Lots of resting now & fx baby decides to stay put!

Oh Jo sad I think it's all starting for us now. I have been blessed with an "irritable uterus" by the midwives due to my constant braxton-hicks contractions that are getting extremely annoying and are making it hard to do anything. I have to take cramp bark tincture and while it's working it is THE most GOD AWFUL tasting thing that has ever gotten past my lips. Like, gag-worthy, disgusting, rank, and throat burning. <sigh> Ew.

Librarina Fri 26-Apr-13 22:36:33

So do you ladies, Jojo and Trumpets feel like your babies are imminent? I feel fairly hefty but bump is still high and tight, not at all like bubs is shifting into position.

Also, am I supposed to be making milk already? I have nothing at all, not even a droplet.

And I have to work tomorrow as I stupidly promised to do overtime.

Grumpy now, with my rubbish nipples and stupid work!

Jojobump1986 Fri 26-Apr-13 23:30:00

I really hope not Lib! 34+4 is not an ideal time to give birth! I did have 3 strong BHs in a row earlier with just 5 minutes between each... That made me more than a little nervous given that my contractions started at 5 minute intervals with DS1. My waters broke hours before any contractions last time though & I've only had a few mild, sporadic BHs since then so hopefully it wasn't the start of things! I'm planning on packing my hospital bag tomorrow, just incase! I wouldn't be overly surprised if DS2 did arrive before the due date but I'm hoping it'll be days, rather than weeks, mostly because I've got a booking for 10 days before due date which could actually earn me some money! Any time after that would be good though! wink

I wouldn't worry about not producing milk at this stage. I've heard of women who don't leak & struggle to hand express even after the baby's born but still the baby manages to gain weight just fine! It's different for everyone. smile

I think it might be because Jo and I are old farts whose bodies have done this before. grin I'm only 33+5 so we've definitely still got some time to go over here as well. It's common for second, third, etc timers to have more contractions, more aches and pains, and just more general activity than first time mamas. First babies also tend to drop closer to 36-38 weeks whereas mamas who have already given birth may be feeling their babies lower one day, and then high the next due to the decreased muscle tone that helps hold those first babies down low once they've dropped.

No worries on the colostrum leakage either. I'm not leaking anything right now....but oh lady, when the milk comes in for me- I could feed 5 babies. I'm sure it'll be abundant when your little one comes!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 07:36:21

Shhh. The thought of contractions is scary. Don't ask me why, there's no logic there at all. My BH don't hurt yet either, just tight. I do get stitch when out dog walking, and that hurts more
DH was acting all worried yesterday after I pointed out the isolated walk I do with the dog in decent weather. he didnt offer to walk the dog though hmm

The milk is all down to hormones lib I used to leak colostrum before I was pregnant, as in years before dc1 the odd thing was that it used to stop when I was pregnant, (before it restarted late in pregnancy). So don't compare to me leaking because I'm just odd.

Yeah don't worry I'm the only second timer on here with not one bh and I never leaked a drop last time and couldn't hand express anything even after dd was born but fed her sucsessfully for 6 months
You be careful with your isolated routes frus! Sounds like my dh though!
Spent a couple of hours yesterday sorting baby clothes, swapping wardrobes etc, the new baby stuff is so tiny!! Guess I should think of packing a bag soon too

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 07:56:07

But my routes are so lovely and picturesque kitty and the best way to go to avoid people with either the pfb version of a dog or idiots that have dangerous dogs off-lead

I couldn't hand express with dd2 kitty although I could with dd1. Who knows what'll happen this time.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 13:19:21

You know I was saying my BH don't hurt. I take it back. Had a couple of uncomfortable ones today.

So, wine totally helps with the sore braxton-hicks (I may have experimented with this last night) but I think it may be frowned upon for me to drink all day to help with them. Whaddya think? hmm

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 15:03:44

Hook me up to a wine drip. wink we'll ignore the frowning people.

Awesome. I'll bring over the supplies and get us both set up (I love doing IVs!) grin

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sat 27-Apr-13 17:56:48

I'm a cheap date bring it doesn't take many wine for me to be inebriated. grin
I'll stock up on the snack foods.

Jojobump1986 Sat 27-Apr-13 18:27:37

If you notice the frowners then you haven't had enough wine

After all the uncomfortable-ness of yesterday I don't think I've had any BHs today! Still getting the occasional about-to-fall-out feeling though. I prefer the BHs!

Lorelei353 Sat 27-Apr-13 20:04:16

Sounds very uncomfortable Jojo.

I've had no Braxton Hicks yet and nothing leaking from my breasts yet either. Such a first timer.

Oh you non-BHers are so lucky! Although, extreme pressure doesn't sound fun either. Sorry jo that sucks.

Jojobump1986 Sun 28-Apr-13 12:57:52

I'm scared. I said to DH yesterday that I thought my bump looked lower & today someone saw me from across the room & felt the need to come rushing over to tell me how low my bump is! Eep! I didn't notice it drop at all last time! confused It's too early for the baby to be engaging. It's not allowed! I'm not even quite 35 weeks yet! Protocol dictates no homebirths until after 37 weeks so I've got to hold him in for at least another 2.5 weeks! I'll probably be complaining about him being in my ribs in a few days!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 28-Apr-13 13:39:21

Could baby just have moved slightly jojo? Mine looked lower last week after he shifted. <hopeful> so you still feel like you're going to fall out?

As long as you're not noticing any preterm labor signs or symptoms (new backache, contractions that come in a pattern or feel like menstrual cramps, change in discharge [ie more watery, bloody show, mucus plug, etc] anything that makes you think your water broke, or constant pelvic pressure) it's normal for second, third, fourth babies to engage and then come back up out of the pelvis. If you're worried, it never hurts to go get everything checked out just to make sure you're not dilating or contracting. They can do a fetal fibronectin test to see if there is a chance of immanent preterm labor. Fibronectin is a substance that acts like a glue that attaches the amniotic sac to the cervix during pregnancy. If the test comes up as positive, it means that this "glue" has become disturbed. If it's negative it's supposed to mean you are definitely fine for another week of pregnancy. They usually will only do the test up to 35 weeks (in the States, so I'm not sure what the protocol is in the UK).

If in doubt, get it checked out jo

Lorelei353 Mon 29-Apr-13 11:30:30

Good morning ladies. Hope you all had a lovely weekend.

I had day two of my NCT classes yesterday. Went really well - lots of practical info on bathing babies etc. and lots of discussion on pain relief (pros and cons of all methods) and what happens if you need a cesarean. All very informative! Feeling good about it all again though. Have a breastfeeding workshop with them next Sunday.

Only doing a three day week this week in work which is lovely too!

Librarina Mon 29-Apr-13 14:19:13

Hurray for three day weeks! I've one this week too as it's DH's birthday and we're going to eat at a restaurant with a fancy new chef who's food I've been longing to taste for ages. I was debating with myself over whether it would be ok to have a glass of wine, and it turns out from further upthread that it's practically mandatory, brilliant, thanks guys (even tho I don't have any BH, I'm still claiming my wine-prescription as a preventative measure)

Thanks also for the colostrum reassurances. I'd like to do the BF if possible, so it's good to know that nowt is as normal as owt.

I had my Whooping cough jab this morning, which may be why I'm feeling sleepy, or maybe it's just that I haven't had the 2 naps a day I got used to over the weekend.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 29-Apr-13 18:08:30

I love 3 day weeks. But then I always do 3 day weeks <smug> and now today is over with I only have 4 days left. I love bank holidays too

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 29-Apr-13 19:44:18

jojo I think there may be something about BH and supermarkets. Just had 2 in a row. Ooch. Cashier was a bit worried.

Yeah, or something about babies dropping in the supermarket. My bump is considerably lower and there is so pressure today after getting groceries. Urghhhhhhh.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 29-Apr-13 21:39:56

Maybe it's the carrying of the basket/bags? although carrying dd doesn't have the same effect

I swear this little one is doing star jumps. I feel like I am being kicked everywhere.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now