Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 23-Apr-13 14:44:13

It's not as well known as st Patrick's day. may be the lack of alcohol wink
Just seen mw. Bumpys head is still down despite his shifting antics. <phew> but measuring 33. So not a huge as I feel.

Jeleous of head down babies hmm
Why won't mine!! I've tried everything!!!

Lorelei353 Tue 23-Apr-13 15:17:44

I was convinced last night and this morning that mine had turned but I think it's okay. Feet seem to be back where they were before now, which is a good thing.

Come on kitty's baby Turn!

Kitty have they started bringing up an external cephalic version option at all? It's another technique for turning baby, it's usually done around 36-37 weeks and it usually has a pretty good success rate. I've heard it's very intense though. If they don't offer it, ask about providers who do it and whether a midwife can get you a referral to see if you and babe are good candidates.

Off to the midwife's apt. Last night was rough. DS1 woke up at midnight unable to breathe and coughing and crying because coughing was hurting his throat....it was really heartbreaking and I was about 2 minutes away from calling for someone to come down to my house so I could take him in- it was really scary. Thankfully it settled down after about 20 minutes and he fell asleep. He woke up like nothing ever happened this morning, ate a bowl of cereal and 2 pieces of toast and decided he was going to preschool today. Adverted a very long day with a sick kid. Phew.

Yes bring mw mentioned it last week so 1 week left and that's on the cards, im scared as heard bad stories but at the same time all the options have risks so I do think I'd try it!
It's so scarey when kids are sick isn't it and you think they are at deaths door then they turn around and act like nothing's happened?! How's the snow watch dare I ask?

Librarina Tue 23-Apr-13 15:33:14

Kitty, try not to worry - my MW doesn't event tell me where my baby's lying at the moment as there's still so much potential for wriggling. Althought right now I'm getting punched in both hips and the RHS of my belly button so it feels like bubs is lying entirely horizonally.

Frus - DH doesn't snore as such, but he BREATHES rather enthusistically, and he's warm-bodied and likes to cuddle, which I usually enjoy and appreciate, however my 4am wakings also involve me feeling very hot so his cuddles and his breathing are not at all welcome. I slept so much better without him, but I feel bad for kicking him out of the comfy bed and onto the sad, lonely futon.

Lor, I'm all English and I didn't realise they the dragon was for - 23rd April is all about Shakespeare and World Book Night to me!

I would like to offer a dragon to my work who have announced that they are interviewing for the person who will cover my job On My Last Day (in 2.5 weeks)!! AND they've decided that 1.5 days a week will be fine to cover my full time role!

We got about 3 inches of snow and it's already melting due to a beautiful sunny day. We just need the air to warm up so that we stop getting snow and start getting rain instead.

Ooooh yeah, I know what you mean about warm and cuddly husbands Lib.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 24-Apr-13 06:46:09

<does a rain dance for bring>

I am so tired. Even when I sleep I am exhausted. And anyone who says its preparation for when baby is born is having a giraffe. at least then I will have a visable excuse for not being able to function.

Cheers frus. It's currently sunny and temps are supposed to be in the mid 70's by the weekend! Finally mother nature heard our cries in Minnesota.

Had a midwife apt yesterday. The midwives somehow screwed up the scheduling and another mama showed up at the same time as my apt and she seemed SO pissed off and was kind of glaring at me. One of the midwives and I made up this schedule like at week 7 that spans the whole pregnancy so it was weird that I had it down and she didn't, but I digress. So, It wasn't the greatest way to start off the day as it was really awkward and I felt kind of stupid. So since there are two midwives in the practice, we each got one and I have nothing too exciting to report. Measuring a full week ahead (still) and baby in LOT position. Lots of questions about what we're doing in the postpartum and I just feel like I need to get a fire started under me to get organized and make it so things can run super smoothly when I'm relaxing nursing in bed all day for the first week. 3 weeks to finish painting the rooms I've got planned and to get the rest of the birth supplies together before the home visit at 36 weeks! I can't believe it's less than 3 weeks away!

How is everyone, btw? It's been a bit quiet today....

Hi bring. Glad to hear warmer horizons are on the way!
I'm 35wks today! Scarily thinking it was only 2 weeks from this point I had dd shock has it really come around so quick?!? Last day on Friday and I went to the pub for lunch with the girls today which was nice grin just topped off with Chinese, I know our stomachs are surposed to have no room now so how can I still eat shed loads?!? Dd new matress came today and we asked her did she want to sleep in her new bed ( she did) so she's currently sleeping in her big girl bed! Feel very proud but strangely sad like this marks her not being my baby anymore hmm

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 24-Apr-13 21:24:15

Good luck with the big girl bed kitty exciting days nights, and very scary when we realise that they're growing up.

We're (me and dd2) are currently doing happy wees (on the toilet) and sad wees (anywhere else). We appear to have pre-baby regression. <sigh> but that's only to be expected with her level of understanding. but so far no sad wees today.
And introduced her new social story of mummy and daddy going to hospital and bringing home a baby. FX it works.

bring I am pleased that my rain dance appears to have brought on a positive change in your weather. grin
What's the theory behind staying in bed nursing for a week? I don't think I could physically manage that with my dc and DH but the thought of it sounds lovely.

I am still knackered. someone remind me that this level of exhaustion is normal Dozed off on the sofa waiting for DH to come home from his group. And now taken myself to bed. <yawn> night all. <zzzzz>

Jojobump1986 Wed 24-Apr-13 21:55:14

Eep! It's been so long since I last posted that the thread had disappeared off my TIO!

Can't remember when I last updated but the important recent developments were:
- DS is now in his own room but still in a cot. This means that the single bed that was in that room has come into our bedroom & is pushed up against our bed. It's now DH's bed which means I get the whole of the small double bed to myself! That was the theory at least but then DS was ill so came in with us for a few nights.
- Had the growth scan. Definitely a boy & he's now measuring exactly on the 50th centile, despite being just below it last time! We asked about our local milk bank. The sonographer "scan lady" didn't have any information, neither did the 3 MWs she asked. Eventually she found the standard UKAMB leaflet in the NICU but no info about who to contact! hmm
- I ordered syringes & caps so I can express & freeze antenatal colostrum incase I have to transfer in again. There was a delay in getting DS1 his first feed & I don't think that helped matters so I'm trying to avoid that this time. I tried expressing last night just to see how much I could get out. I stopped at 11mls! DS1's first feed was 3mls & I was told that was really good! I've only bought 10 1ml syringes so I'm debating whether to buy more or offer to express some colostrum for the milk bank. It seems silly to be capable of producing decent quantities & not using that ability!
- DH had to be collected from work at lunchtime due to developing a fever. Luckily I was going out at that time anyway so it wasn't too much hassle. I'm now feeling dizzy & v sleepy despite having had a nap this afternoon. Soooo don't want to get DS's virus too! We need one of us to be healthy!

Hope everyone manages to get a good night's sleep tonight. Sounds like we all need a rest! I'm not liking my chances though - DS2 has suddenly decided to have a party! It's making it v difficult to type because he's kicking right where I'm trying to rest my hand!

shock At johns ability to express that much allready!! I don't think I could get anything out at the mo and had no leaking, if I could I'd definatly be building up a little supply now ready!
Bad news on illnesses, there's a few at work who have come in and I keep thinking no stay away from me I'm only here another 2 days! Good news about his size, was it nice seeing him again or is it so squashy now you can't see much?
Well dd stayed in bed all night good as gold, I didn't sleep well worrying about her! Typically but she was fine so will continue, ill be really pleased if it continues as I like to get new baby in a cot quite soon, dd hated crib and out grew it v quickly even though it was much bigger then Moses basket and didn't want dd thinking the baby had pushed her out so we've been building up the big girl room for months and have her the choice on whether to sleep in it or not

John?!? Sorry Jojo it would be a shock if a John could express!!wink

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 25-Apr-13 09:01:49

I agree kitty I don't think I could express that much yet. And I am leaking although only tiny bits, not like major leakage that I get once my milk is in

Hi jojo <waves> fx you don't get ill too.

Wow Jo that is awesome! Your baby is going to be well satisfied!

Ha yes Frus pure exhaustion is normal. Lots of naps if you can. I'm feeling it too. The week in bed thing is standard for homebirth postpartum care. It helps to reduce the amount of bleeding, helps healing any tears by keeping the legs together, helps with getting enough rest so you're able to produce milk and avoiding getting breast infections, and plus it just helps with recovery in the long-run! There is even a rule that there are no stairs for the first week due to the loose ligaments in the hips and abdomen that are moving back into their proper locations. The second week is only supposed to be one set of stairs per day.... so basically set yourself on the couch and if you go upstairs-you have to stay there. It's actually a really nice vacation to be able to just relax and bond with baby. I'm SO looking forward to it! I think our culture has lost the art of mothering the mother and just taking care of her while she takes care of her new baby- she's just done a tremendous amount of work, let her heal and rest.

Good news on the big-kid beds!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 25-Apr-13 17:02:05

That actually sounds good bring I wonder if I could convince DH? Although I would worry that 5 minutes after planting myself on the couch I'd need the loo and then be stuck upstairs for the rest of the day.

Anyone else playing poke the foot?

How about dislodge the foot from the ribs?

You could always tell your DH that letting you rest for the first week means you'll be back up to your old self sooner wink

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Thu 25-Apr-13 17:47:17

Ugh the ribs-foot. I also have a driving the car shove-a-foot-the-wrong-side-of-the-ribs.
Is it wrong to like poking it to get a reaction so much?

Librarina Thu 25-Apr-13 17:55:22

I used to love indulging in a good game of 'Poke the Foot' however now whenever I poke the baby, s/he pokes me straight back, right in the fanjo. I'm not happy with that at all! So now I play 'Rub the Bum' and try and make it squirm. Also I'm not exactly sure if what I'm poking is actually foot or bum, could be arm, head or elbow as far as I know.

I'm loving the idea of resting in bed for a week, my friend told me to get nice pyjamas so when friends visit you are clearly not a hostess who has to do things, you are practically an invalid who should be brought goodies and fed tasty morsels on a regular basis.

Off to aquanatal tonight, least aerobically challenging activity ever but it is v pleasant to be weightless for an hour.

I've finished work gringringringringrin
And off to aqua natel too lib, great minds think alike!

Lorelei353 Fri 26-Apr-13 13:07:08

Congrats kitty that's fab. I've another 2 1/2 weeks to go in theory but don't work more than 3 days a week until I go. Can't wait though. Yesterday I had the afternoon off so I went and had a massage and came out into the sun to potter around and then sit in an armchair in my flat, in the sun, reading my childbirth book (I'm reading Birth Skills: Proven pain-management techniques for your labour and birth by Juju Sundin. It's brilliant! www.amazon.co.uk/Birth-Skills-Proven-pain-management-techniques/dp/0091922143. ).

Oh we are SO going outside today. I'll be the first time my skin as seen sun in, OH, 6 months! I feel like a bear coming out of hibernation.

That is exactly what you should be doing for the first week or two Lib! People should not be coming over to hold your baby (only if you WANT to let them, it's not a given for them). This can disrupt your breastfeeding learning and plus it stresses out babies as they only know their mamas and they generally don't like being passed around among people that they don't know their voices or smells. Tell visitors they can stay for a max of 30 minutes and they should either bring something for you to eat or should do your dishes, take out the rubbish, sweep the floor, or hang up a load of laundry for you. You can also set up "visiting hours" where people can come to an open-house type deal because having people streaming in and out all day is SO EXHAUSTING (trust me, I've learned this one the hard way with #3). I am so passionate about this postpartum time for new moms and it drives me batty when clients are telling me about how tired they are from NOT following the above directions and not just telling their families to back off. This baby will be around for a looooooong time and this teeny tiny, new baby phase will go in the blink of an eye for you. It should totally be your time to just be and just enjoy your new little family member.

that should say "hard way with #1"!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now