Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

My biggest surprise was how slept deprived I could get and still somehow function. I think by week 4 or 5 I was getting frustrated with only getting 2 hrs of sleep at a time! Also just how MUCH having a baby changes everything. It's amazing how much you just don't know that you don't know (if that makes sense) about having a newborn and being brand-new parents. There's no way someone could explain or try to prepare you for what's ahead- it's just incomprehensible until you actually have a baby.

Merry since I'm studying to be a CPM (certified professional midwife) in the states, I will not have hospital privileges. CPMs are only certified for homebirth or birth center births. I still have about a year left of apprenticing (currently taking a break to be pregnant and a new mum for a while) to accomplish all of my skills and numbers, but after that I'm planning on opening my own private practice with a small amount of clients. I'm looking to start being on-call and working with a midwife again around this time next year! I love that you work in the community. I loved my community midwife when I was pregnant with DS1 in Notts. Are you doing homebirths or mostly prenatal care?

Jojobump1986 Tue 22-Jan-13 11:10:47

I've signed up for an NCT refresher course! Eek! DH decided that we could afford it because we didn't overspend on Christmas presents this year. Mostly because he didn't get me anything! I ran out of excuses not to do it so took the plunge & signed up before I chickened out! It starts in April so I have plenty of time to psych myself up for it! Eek! Nervous now!

Lorelei353 Tue 22-Jan-13 11:23:29

Good for you Jojo. It's good to be brave sometimes. I can be prone to shyness and just need a bit of a nudge sometimes.

We're signing up for NCT classes too.

Librarina Tue 22-Jan-13 12:46:03

Will you all come on here and tell me what you learn at NCT so I can carry on being a coward and not have to talk to people?

I've had a horrible day today - was already a bit achy from falling in the snow on Sunday but could feel wriggling in the bump so was sure that everything was fine in there, it was just my arse and my arm that got jolted. Then, driving to work this morning, some idiot pulls out in front of me, far too late, but then didn't accelerate away so we were skidding down the road together in some kind of strange ballroom dance and I slammed on my brakes and miraculously remembered where the horn was.
They sped away and I pulled into the side of the road and sobbed for a bit. I then pulled myself together to carry on the drive to work only to find that I had braked so sharply the car had stalled and wouldn't start. The worst bit was that there were other cars who were behind us as this all happened and they saw me crying and stalled but didn't even look in the window to check I was ok. Bump is, again, fine but I'm a bit stressed and not looking forward to the drive home.
Sorry for the winge, just wanted to get it off my chest!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Tue 22-Jan-13 13:23:28

Have a hug libra and ignore the horrible uncaring idiots.
Are you driving on snow or ice? Either way, take it slowly o. The way home, avoid any sudden movements (braking or accelerating) and let the car do the work.

I had midwife today, heard heartbeat too.

Lorelei353 Tue 22-Jan-13 13:49:57

On my way to scan. Think happy, healthy, wriggly thoughts everyone.

Just popping in to say thank you to jojo. Am still laughing at the Thundercats and 'Keep calm eat doughnuts' stickers, they've really cheered me up!

I am definitely out but no af yet...hoping she's not going to mess me about for long as I have summoned up a big pma for getting it right next cycle.

Sending love to all. Take care in the snow x

Oh Lib sending happy (snow-free) thoughts your way today! It's so scary when those things happen, just take care of yourself today and keep talking to your baby.

Have fun Lor!

Jojobump1986 Tue 22-Jan-13 14:32:24

You're welcome thunder! I got so distracted by the stickers that I nearly forgot to put the test in! grin

Take care out there Lib! I hate it when people do stupid things like that. I'd be shaking for the rest of the day! Hopefully your drive home will be a lot less eventful!

Are you done yet Lor? <Impatient>

Jojobump1986 Tue 22-Jan-13 14:35:27

Oh forgot to say, Lib noone's going to tell you anything. It's like a secret society that makes you swear never to tell anyone about what you hear during the meetings. Stop being such a wimp & sign up! Is the tough love working? If I have to meet new people I think it's only fair that you should too! wink

merrygiant Tue 22-Jan-13 15:46:22

Just back from the scan and all is well! A stretching little wriggler is in there, which explains why I feel such clear kicks so early. We had agreed we would keep sex a surprise but at the last minute I asked her to write it down and put it in an envelope! Eeek! So we now have the option of finding out (we definitely will, I'm too impatient and curious not to), but we can do it at our leisure, maybe after a nice hearty casserole I'm gonna cook for dinner tonight or maybe the weekend after next when my DM and DSD are coming to stay?!

Good luck Lor, thinking of you too...

Jojobump1986 Tue 22-Jan-13 15:51:55

Yay! Congrats merry! You've got more patience than me - I'd have ripped the envelope open while DH was driving so he couldn't stop me! grin blush Have you added yourself to the stats list yet? Make sure you update it with the gender when you know!

merrygiant Tue 22-Jan-13 16:17:07

I had to get something from the pharmacy after our scan and he waited in the van. I jokingly asked when I got back in if he had sneaked a peek. He hadn't, and I know he wouldn't but I'm finding it difficult not to with the envelope just sitting there and he's gone out!

I will be patient and wait til he gets home.

Well done to you Jojo for booking your course!

And sorry to hear about your incident Lib. We've got more snow here today. Snow fun anymore hmm

peardrop2 Tue 22-Jan-13 16:29:24

I agree that the snow and ice can go away now hmm Making decisions on when is it safe to travel to work is not fun, especially as I'm known to make the wrong one! Lib that sounds awful...stay safe inside from now on!

Yay for your happy wriggler scan merry! I am envious as my little man hides away (mostly doing hand stands) at my scans preventing decent photos. Did you get some nice photos? Lor I hope your scan went well too?

I am with JoJo on the NCT thing. I feel quite lonely in pregnancy sometimes so I knew I had to force myself to sign up and I have now paid the first installment of £200.00. FX it is worth it. I will be on maternity leave in April when it starts so it it will be a good distraction while wishing away the last few weeks.

I am waiting for Yodel to turn up with my Carla - Heat Regulating Mum & Baby Support Pillow...hah just as I write this it has arrived yay!

Yeay merry, excellent scan news!
Come on lor update us!!
Sorry to hear about your scare lib, that's horrible, it's so nerve wracking when you get in a spin on ice! I booked Monday off as Friday had been so bad and I also had a fall on sat carrying dd to car, I fell on my bum then she feel abit on me but more in my arms as I was holding her aloft, unfortunatly I started bleeding after so had to make a trip to hospital, this will be my 3rd bleeding incident though and the first time they looked and there is an errosion on neck of womb outside so they were quite confident it's that that's been causing it and if its knocked or we have sex etc, atleast there seems a reason now, this Ivey weather is a nightmare! Hugs for you and nice and slow home

Lorelei353 Tue 22-Jan-13 18:29:20

Hi. Sorry for no update. Scan took ages as babs would not play ball. I was sent away twice to eat sugary things and walk arond for 15 mins in the hope that babs would move! Finally worked and we managed to get everything measured. Anyway all is well and as it should be and no, we didn't find out if it was a boy or girl. Very cute baby although apparently sleepy. Kept yawning!

Merry, glad yours was ok too!

Lib, sounds like a stressful morning. Hope you get home safely.

peardrop2 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:25:51

Lor, glad to hear all went well! Sounds like a similar experience to me with the trips to drink and eat in order to get them to budge.

I've brought a caboo DX carrier that arrived today. Very pleased that it fits my 6ft5 husband unlike the BabyBjorn classic. Has anyone else brought a carrier/sling yet?

Scary that you've had another bleeding incident, kitty! Glad they were able to determine the cause, hopefully no more bleeds!

Merry and Lor yay, yay! So glad to hear the scans went well!

Yes, pear We have a Moby and an Ergo (which I need to get the newborn insert for). Not sure if I'll use the Moby this summer because it tends to get so hot, so babe may be in the Ergo quite a bit, or in a one-shoulder sling if I get around to picking one out.

I'll take your snow over the weather we've had lately! Yesterday the "high" temp for the day was -6 degrees F with a windchill of -45 F!! Today we made it over 0 and got all the way up to 2 degrees, woo. I'm sure Thursday will feel positively balmy when we reach 15 degrees. Good lord it's miserable outside. I walked around the Mall of America to just stretch my legs (all 3 levels which I think equals out to be around 1.5 miles) and oh man, they feel worked out! I'll have to do it again tomorrow smile

Is anyone using cloth nappies? I dug out the ones I had from Ds2 and I forgot how many I have stashed away.... but realised there's no way in hell they will fit a newborn. Looks like I'll have to dig out the sewing machine and try my hand at newborn-sized ones.

peardrop2 Tue 22-Jan-13 22:31:17

bring I've read that the Ergo is a popular choice. I'm thinking about buying this for hot summer days as it is not too pricey www.thebabasling.com/charcoal-lite.html

merrygiant Tue 22-Jan-13 22:35:32

Bring I've been looking into cloth nappies but thought I'd do disposables to begin with for abut 6 weeks. What type do you have and how was using them? Any tips?

I do antenatal clinic, work on a midwife-led birthing centre ward and we do some homebirths. We visit women at home too, but I think its been tricky over the last few days with the weather. Did you have your DS1 over here? I love the idea of having your own practice, but if its just you, you'd be on call ALL the time, no?!

My partner went to Bath this evening and has got stuck there, he had to abandon his van and walk to a friend's house to stay! But you certainly win on windchill - blimey that is seriously cold!

Jojobump1986 Tue 22-Jan-13 23:25:13

I've got a Moby wrap but it's really easy to use a pashmina as a sling! Not sure what the official knot-name is but it's like tying a double-knot but you don't pull one end all the way through. It takes a little while to get the hang of adjusting it but once you know how it's a lot less faff & a lot cooler than a wrap. My friend taught me how when she was back from Africa for a visit. I've not used it for a newborn yet though but it seems to be the same principle, they're just lying down rather than sitting on your hip!

We were going to try cloth nappies with DS1 after a few weeks but we were so exhausted from all the washing we were doing anyway that we couldn't face the thought of any more!

Is anyone else feeling like a hairless orangutan yet? I was sitting in the bath this evening & realised that my boobs were resting on my belly. I really enjoyed pregnancy last time... This time I'm dreaming of early but not premature labour! I was 8 days over last time & didn't mind it a bit... If this continues I'll be fed up if I get to 40 weeks! sad

LOL that is seriously the best description, EVER, Jo! Yes, starting to feel very orangutan-like these days. That's a good idea about the wrap/sling. I suppose scarves have been used for eons, no need to go get a fancy new one! I'll have to youtube and see what I can find on wrapping.

Merry Yes, DS1 was born in MLU in the birthing tub. Wonderful experience! If I did have a practice, I would be on-call constantly... or at least until I set a break and don't take clients for a month. There is also the option of working with one or more other midwives, but there still is the big responsibility of being on-call most of the time.

I think we are going to do disposable until the meconium stage is over and then go on to cloth. We use pocket nappies or prefolds with a "thirsties" cover. Also debating on just using a nappy service for the first few weeks until we get the hang out of it. Although....MIL is coming to stay for a month so maybe I could give her a tutorial on nappy washing and that would be fabulous!

Lorelei353 Wed 23-Jan-13 11:11:45

One of my yoga teachers was showing us how to bind your hips with your baby wrap in the days after pregnancy - to try and keep your pelvis stable and allow everything to settle back into place. Looked comfy. She said she wore it for about two weeks every day after her last child (although for less time after her previous one).

I am not washing nappies. Disposable all the way for me.

peardrop2 Wed 23-Jan-13 14:45:57

Oh gosh I really couldn't think of anything worse then washing dirty nappies shock Hats off to those of you who're more willing! I can confirm that my Carla pillow was totally useless to aid sleep last night. It ended up on the floor within an hour. Still a good buy though if it helps with breastfeeding. I'm sure I will end up having to buy a dream genie soon!

Lorelei353 Wed 23-Jan-13 16:03:48

pear I bought the Theraline one and for the first two nights half used it and sometimes kicked it out. It took me a little while to figure out how it works best for me. Now, I know how to use it best for me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now