Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

The 3rd Gemini Luxury Bus

(996 Posts)
Librarina Sun 20-Jan-13 15:51:32

I thought I'd get our shiny new thread started, welcome.
Previos Thread

I also thought I'd include our little round up of who is having what, when...feel free to update, there's only a few of us so we shouldn't end up drowning in Stats!

kittykats : girl
JoJo: boy
Bringon: girl
Frust: boy
Blending: one of each
Lib: surprise - 1st baby - EDD June 7th
Lor: surprise (for now!)
Ohtheplaces: girl - 1st baby - EDD June 5th
Peardrop: boy

Lorelei353 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:46:00

Kitty My hips have been feeling it for a few weeks now. Yoga's definitely helping, as is making sure I don't sit on my ass all day (went out for a stroll after dinner yesterday). Usually alright once I've walked it out a bit on the way to work.

peardrop2 Mon 18-Feb-13 09:55:59

I'm not very comfortable at night either hmm Baby pear does not like me being on my left or right side as it feels like gravity is squashing him down between my hip and the mattress and then he does this weird twist motion that is not pleasant shock Anyone else getting early wake up calls with kicks? It was 5am for me but now it's moved to 4am shockshock

Librarina Mon 18-Feb-13 12:22:43

Yup Peardrop I'm getting the 3am kicks. I wake up very hot with bump dancing away. Baby appears to have discovered my cervix this week as a fun place to do kicking, honestly it takes my breath away!

Apart from that, I sleep pretty well. I do yoga 3 times a week (one class and two DVDs) and I think that helps with hips and comfortableness. I've also started listening to a pregnancy relaxation CD at bedtime which is blissful.

Going to video my belly tonight too - hadn't occured to me and I think it will be fun. I'm going to miss my bump so much which it's gone.

Jojobump1986 Mon 18-Feb-13 14:06:08

pear do you put a pillow under your bump at night? I'm really uncomfortable unless I have a pillow between my legs & one for the bump to rest on! I've got a nasty twinge right at the base of my spine at the moment so I had to sleep on my back last night with my bump pillow underneath me. sad

DS did disturb a little when we went to bed but he settled again really quickly. We sat down yesterday & carefully planned out a strict schedule for each of us throughout the day to make sure DS has a good routine & to help DH learn to stop dithering! It feels a little overly strict at the moment but I guess when we get into good habits like DH coming home on time we can relax it a little! Tbh I feel a bit pathetic needing a written out timetable but if it helps DS get to bed/sleep at a regular time then it'll all be worth it! smile

Sorry to hear everyone else is achy too - long hot baths all round! wink

peardrop2 Mon 18-Feb-13 14:24:33

JoJo I've tried a pillow but it feels like extra pressure. The dream genie works better but I can't use it all night as I get fed up with it so its on the floor by 3am. I don't think it helps that I'm carrying so neat and low. I think that's my problem. Well done for getting a timetable sorted. I'm sure not that I know it will help you long term! Timetables always get me on track for other things.

Yep, it's starting here too. The whole heave and shift and move over maneuver at night. I'm trying to just remind myself that it's only going to get worse, so appreciate the sleep I'm getting right now compared to what I'll be getting in about a month.... it's hard sometimes. Very much looking forward to yoga tomorrow and a blissful visit to the chiropractor next week!

peardrop2 Mon 18-Feb-13 16:49:43

bring - you know when you said the midwife measured you two weeks ahead uterus size?...does that mean your baby might come early or it's a big baby or neither? Just wondering because my midwife told me the same thing at 25weeks.

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Mon 18-Feb-13 17:06:03

I moved house mid pregnancy last time. New midwives said I was measuring small, so sent for an extra scan, which showed I was the dates 1st given to me, and carrying extra fluid. Doesn't extra fluid carry the risk or delivering early? <completely unhelpful>

It's probably neither, pear. I think it was because of the baby's position during the visit-she was so totally crammed up under my ribs and was basically laying side-to-side instead of up and down. Sometimes women and babies will also have growth spurts so you'll measure ahead at one visit and then measure right on at the next. A variation of up to +/- 3cm is considered normal.

Extra fluid could increase the risk of going early, especially if there is a lot of it. There are usually other factors that cause the fluid build-up that would also lead to an early labor. That's really interesting they thought you were measuring small and you had extra fluid as well. Maybe you were just having a very well-hydrated day?

peardrop2 Mon 18-Feb-13 20:21:01

bring - what you say about growth spurts makes a lot of sense to me as I had a definite growth spurt that week and finally looked pregnant. Thank you!

Pear I measured 2wks behind last time the whole way through and dd was 3wks early aswell but still weighed 6.10 so don't think fundal measurement will have any relation, think I'm going to be the same measurement wise this time but mw didn't measure me at my 25wk app hmm I like that makes me feel more pregnant lol
I tried the pillow last time but like pear it ends up annoying me and on the floor, my hips don't seem to like alot of exercise or lack, I'm getting sciatic pain at work from sitting at my desk alot but really strange pains in my groin when I went to Liverpool the other day and walked about 5 miles plus. Really felt that!!
My bump never plays ball when I want to film sad
Oh and was naughty again yesterday, at a spar hotel for dsis bday, had 5 mins in jacuzzi to warm up after pool ( got told off by my mum though lol)

peardrop2 Tue 19-Feb-13 08:55:10

That's interesting kitty. Was it a surprise to you to be so early or did you feel ready at the time? I'm someone who likes to plan ahead so I'm trying to keep very open minded and have told myself that baby will arrive sometime in May we just don't know when, could be the start, middle or end! My last breastfeeding class is on 8th May so hopefully I'll be feeling ready and relaxed...and maybe a little uncomfortable by then!

Lorelei353 Tue 19-Feb-13 09:47:33

3 weeks is a bit scary kitty. I wasn't planning on finishing work until 3 weeks before my due date. I keep wavering between 3 and 4 weeks before. On the one hand I'm sure I'll be really uncomfortable and ready to stop work 4 weeks before, but on the other hand what'll I do with myself all day if I stop then and baby arrives around due date or even late! I also don't want to waste my maternity leave hanging around.

peardrop2 Tue 19-Feb-13 10:05:08

Lor - don't you have annual leave to use up? My workplace HR have told me I have to use my annual leave before I go on maternity which is why I'm leaving earlier then I planned.

Lorelei353 Tue 19-Feb-13 12:10:18

I don't have much. My holiday calendar starts in April so it's only 3 1/2 days accrued by May I think, and some of that I was taking around the bank holiday weekend.

peardrop2 Tue 19-Feb-13 13:28:38

Oh Lor that's annoying but good that you will get to take annual leave at the end of your maternity. Probably the best way round! My holiday is Jan to Jan hence why I have to take it off at the start...my boss is seriously annoyed about that!

Does anyone know anything about grow bags? Does a newborn really need one or can I make do with thin blankets for layering?

Lorelei353 Tue 19-Feb-13 16:30:00

Actually, after you said that pear I realised that I haven't taken my full allocation for this year so will also be carrying over a few days. May be able to finish 4 weeks before but start maternity leave 3 weeks before. Or just work short weeks for the last few weeks! Not as bad as I thought.

I have no experience of grow bags but my sister swears by them. She had one on her little one. Don't know why you couldn't just use blankets though.

It was a shock pear, no warning, I'd been glossing doors the day before and had been to the pub that night with a friend, never had bh or any sign and just woke up thinking have I just wet myself lol ( it was waters) then starting contractions within that hour!! I had leave to use that time so had finished at just over 35 think I had 9 days or a few less before dd arrived! I had loads to do aswell so was abit gutted really, planned to do deep clean of the house and all paint jobs I didn't get round to so if you are planning to finish early there's lots you can do that you wouldn't get chance to again ( it took me 2 days to clean kitchen/ utility - think all plates etc washing all cupboards sorting even the tops lol), I ended up loosing a weeks leave as you have to start sml when baby is born so a whole weeks leave gone- gutting confused
I did think I may be early rather then late though as mum and sis both had obstetric coliostatus and it tends to run in family's and you get induced if you have it or in my mums case we all came at 37wks naturally

I'm still in the sane dilemma now as to when to finish as is like a few weeks with dd but does that mean finishing a few wks before 37 or will I go later/ over thus time...... Hmmm

Oh I love gro bags, we used sheets and a blanket at first but they are a pain and just got kicked off, I used gro bags at about 4 wks plus and have never looked back, just bought dd her first douvet this weekend at 18months though sad my little girl is growing up

Jojobump1986 Tue 19-Feb-13 17:46:20

We used swaddle wraps until DS started wanting to suck his thumb at night. They just frustrated him after that. We've used a sleeping bag for him ever since then. I hadn't planned on using them at all but a friend gave us one & it's definitely better than sheets. From about 7 months he was wriggling too much to keep anything over him!

Gro bags really aren't very popular in the States so we just used swaddles until DS1 was about 6 months old and then just dressed him up in warm pj's for the night. He was (and still is) SUCH a warm and sweaty sleeper so he's always kicking his blankets off by morning.

Oh dear. I've just discovered a new stretch mark on my belly. I had none with the first boy, two small ones near my belly button at the very end of pregnancy with #2 and now I've already gotten a new one! <le giant sigh> Here we go....

peardrop2 Wed 20-Feb-13 16:01:17

Thanks bring. If it helps my DH pointed out new back fat before bed last night and then said I made as much noise as a Walrus in the night this morning! Rude man shock I think he thinks I'm lying when I say I pregnancy brings a blocked nose!!

peardrop2 Wed 20-Feb-13 16:02:35

Thanks kitty & Jojo. I may wait and see how it goes. I guess it really depends what the weather is like this summer!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Wed 20-Feb-13 18:14:08

I love grobags, dds always kicked blankets off despite being firmly tucked in and the grobags were so useful. I had some that had small neck holes couldnt wriggle down into them so dd2 went in them from newborn. I've been given a swaddle wrap this time, so will be interesting to see the difference.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now