Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March2013 New year, new trimester, old symptoms but the finishing post is in sight!

(945 Posts)
Oodsigma Fri 18-Jan-13 12:11:04

And confuddled has passed it!

So will this one be our last before we move to post natal?

And who is next?

Thanks sarah & jojo for the thread title. smile

Countmyblessings Wed 13-Feb-13 17:15:55

Hi ladies - all this nesting and getting things prepped is good!
I'm 36 weeks today and have been told by MW today that baby is still in breeched position and I may have to start thinking of a CS!!!
Ermmmm DC4 and this ones not playing ball! Not Happy at all right now!

theshooglypeg Wed 13-Feb-13 20:47:52

Today was my first day of maternity leave! It was lovely - I met up with the women from my NCT course for coffee and cake, did a bit of shopping and cooking and interspersed my activities with some nice snoozes. I kind of hope the baby doesn't turn up too soon!

plonko Wed 13-Feb-13 21:01:09

Welcome to the fold, peg I wish I couldn't extend maternity pay to last about 5 years grin.

And [count], the cheeky little sod! Of all the times to start doing somersaults. Fancy coming round mine and scrubbing for a day? That'll get baby moving!

I braved the evil snow for 38 week appointment today. 3/5 engaged and 'on the runway' according to mw. She did book me in for a sweep 2 weeks tomorrow - sensing she was reluctant I pointed out that it would be the weekend when they would routinely offer me one, and that I'm getting lots of pains each evening. She kindly agreed! Lovely lady. Very supportive when I started asking about water births.

I'm starting to get that 'bring it on/do your worst' mentality wrt to labour. Come on cervix, I'm ready! I want to be wearing skinny jeans and drinking cider in one weeks time wink

SoYo Thu 14-Feb-13 09:45:48

Bad start to the day today, pride has taken a massive hit...

Up reading at 6am but then fell back to sleep, massive banging on the door at 8.30 (postman delivering TENS machine). Went to grab dressing gown shouting "coming" at the incessant knocking & ran downstairs. Completely missed last 2 steps & landed in huge crumpled heap at the bottom of stairs (luckily landed on ankle, knee and hip & completely avoided bump). Postman initially said nothing about hearing bang and swearing shouting but then noticed bump and did check I was ok (and also probably noticed dressing gown askew & butt naked underneath). He then made sharp exit!

Now have bruised ankle & knee & very bruised pride! Today can only get better from here on in!

zigwig Thu 14-Feb-13 10:04:22

Hope you're ok soyo. Not a good start to the day. Think that's a good reason to spend the day with your feet up and a large amount of chocolate.

sarahs999 Thu 14-Feb-13 10:13:01

Just placemarking. Hope everyone's well.

leniwhite Thu 14-Feb-13 15:21:00

Count and soyo sorry to hear about your bad days hmm hopefully count's baby will do a miraculous turn!

I had my last MW appt today and she told me to ignore the consultant and not go to the birth centre. I find it quite unnerving that the two seem to bad mouth each other to patients shock

So I've opted to go to the delivery suite instead just in case as she told me in no uncertain terms that it would be horrendously painful and as it was my first I should be more worried about that. Doesn't quite fit with my relaxed hypnobirthing plan!

I'm not really afraid of pain and I'm under no illusions about what has to happen in labour, could've done without the assumption I was clueless really. Oh well, as long as baby has access to all he needs.

Eaten lots of biscuits, and bought a nice M&S valentine's meal deal for later, so to hell with extra weight gain! I've put on 31lbs so far, oops.

Rainbowbabyhope Thu 14-Feb-13 16:21:36

soyo hope you are feeling ok after your tumble and looking after yourself.

leni I am shocked that the midwife told you to focus on labour being "horrendously painful". Society has already given most of us a very negative view of childbirth with needing midwives contributing to this automatic assumption. Pain certainly did not really feature when I gave birth to DD1 - something which I was shocked at the time because I had been so conditioned all my life to expect agony and I normally have a very low pain threshold. In fact it was the most amazing experience of my life (although hard work!). I think part of it was that I was really calm all the way through and stayed totally in control, birthing the way I wanted to (partly on the toilet and partly upright and swaying) despite the hospital midwives best efforts to get me on the bed on my back like a 'good girl'! I totally understand that people have a wide range of labour experiences and feel things differently (and totally accept that I might have a very different labour this time around!) but I think confidence and control plays such a big part in it and midwives are failing if they undermine that before you even embark on the process.

leniwhite Thu 14-Feb-13 17:17:47

I totally agree. I'll still carry on with my hypnobirthing plans, and I'll just put it out of my mind I think.

Oodsigma Thu 14-Feb-13 17:43:23

leni I would complain about that MW. It's ill informed and unhelpful.

GrottyPotPlant Thu 14-Feb-13 18:06:28

leni how unhelpful!!!
Sticking to you plans sounds wise- people do have lovely births in delivery suites too, so I hear!

Re hypnobirthing, can anyone recommend a good cd? I'm coming pretty late to the party, but now that I'm home I've actually got some spare brain to take it in...

SoYo Thu 14-Feb-13 18:39:53

Leni that's the most ridiculous thing to say! Rather than telling you facts and being helpful she's imparting random opinion! Stick to your plans and just pretend the conversation never happened!

Survived the tumble & Bubba's been as active as always so that's very reassuring. Woke up this afternoon after a massive nap on the sofa with PuppyMonster with a ridiculous urge to scrub the bath! Nesting has made me into someone I'm definitely not!

Did treat myself to a post tumble jam doughnut though so the day's not a total bust!

Emsyboo Thu 14-Feb-13 20:10:46

Soyo glad your ok look after yourself and that bump! You don't want to worry a thread full of expectant mums wink

Leni I am appalled the midwife would say that to you! My birth was painful I was induced but was still the most amazing experience my sister has fantastic births no drugs and quick you don't know how it will be but you don't need your midwife being positive I have heard lots of people swear by hypnobirth ing as well so Di what you want.
I am more inclined to trust a consultant as if anything goes wrong (not that it will) they will get the blame. If you want to go in a delivery suite or the birthing Center it is your choice and if consultant has ok'd either option then it's up to you.

leniwhite Thu 14-Feb-13 20:56:50

I've just downloaded a hypnobirthing mp3 - if it's any good I'm happy to recommend, need to listen myself first though.

Soyo glad you're ok, bet your heart jumped in your mouth! I've scared the postman a few times lately answering the door without knowing I'd had a nosebleed in the night... I'm sure they're used to seeing all sorts wink

plonko Thu 14-Feb-13 21:52:57

Soyo that sucks, very glad you're ok! It's a shame he wasn't delivering anything more exciting than the tens machine, so i hope the nap and a donut helped balance it out.

Leni's right - dp used to be a postie and he's seen it all - manboobs are just the tip of the iceberg apparently!

I'm feeling rather crappy tonight. Bed, book and a kitkat methinks.

Countmyblessings Fri 15-Feb-13 03:55:33

Soyo - glad your ok, I tripped downstairs but thankfully stayed upright but my heart was beating and felt like it would burst from my chest! Getting this close to the finish line to then have a accident is not what I want!
Leni - as others have said that was un helpful, pointless info and what a awful attitude to have considering your supose to help put people at ease about it all!!!!
Plonko- thanks for the offer, if only I could muster the energy getting on all 4 is all good, may need a crane of some sort to get up though!
Well I'm getting use to the fact that if baby doesn't turn by scan next week that I will have to consider a csection but as long as baby is ok then I'm sure I will be fine!!!!
Trying to put a positive spin on it all and to stop whining!
I'm off to download some " person of interest" eps & " suits" on my iPad to watch as have a awful feeling that I'm going to have more sleepless nites!!!

pudtat Fri 15-Feb-13 07:41:07

So glad SoYo bounced! Hope donut took the edge off...

Leni, surprised like others by your MW - did my birth plan with mine yesterday and was so positively surprised by how supportive she is (I am going for MLU). Their default is not to talk about pain or pain relief, just let you know that you only have to ask them. They have a pool, floor mats, birth balls and encourage you to use all of them. She actually said that one of the best pain relievers they have is their midwives, who are all really experienced, which I thought was a lovely sentiment. Really supportive about physiological delivery of placenta, and they don't generally cut the cord til it's stopped pulsing anyway unless you request it.

God I've woken up with a belly full of baby though - my poor ribs!

Emsyboo Fri 15-Feb-13 16:15:20

Hi all bit of a selfish post me and DH have a tummy bug and after vomiting till the early hours of Friday morning and not being able to keep even a sip of water down I started contractions 6 mins apart.
Got a ride in an ambulance and some gas and air but when they put the cannular in I passed out and woke up less pain and contractions replaced by braxton hicks.
I was ridiculously dehydrated so been on a drip since 4am and around mid day my placenta previa decided to bleed!
I'm ok and baby is ok but fed up and of course a bit worried.
My sister is getting married tomorrow and although was too risky for me to go was going to FaceTime the ceremony and speeches but looks like I'll be stuck in hospital with no wifi.
Oh well moan over
How are you ladies? I agree midwives can be very secretive about the pain options but the midwives I've encountered have been very positive.
The best advice was to look at the pain like a ladder- first step paracetamol then ball, water, gas and air if you can etc etc that way you don't jump straight to an epi you may not need but she also said by all means don't be a hero if you need it get it although said midwife is my cousins wife so much more frank with me. I used this approach and didnt need an epi but did have gas and air and diamorphine x

SoYo Fri 15-Feb-13 17:36:58

Oh Emsy, that's crappy! Hopefully will all settle and you'll be back home this time tomorrow and at least be able to chat to your sister at some point during the day. Are they having a video or anything or can someone film little titbits to you and text you some pics through the day?

That's really good advice about using the pain relief as a ladder and not jumping to anything! I'm hoping I have the determination at the time to do that too! Going to have a good look at my TENS tonight so I know how it works ahead of time and not trying to faff around with it when I'm in pain!

No dives down the stairs or other pride-denting moments today. Had a lovely lunch with a friend and her 3m old today and pushing him around gave me little excited butterflies! Not often I feel really excited about it, still feels too unreal!

Having had yet another donut and off out for steak dinner tonight (where there's no way I'll resist 3 courses) I've noticed I'm starting to get a bit of chubby-face! That's what not running around all day at work has done for me! Also few more stretch marks to add to the overall glamorous look I'm sporting at the moment!

Hope you've all got something nice planned at some point over the weekend! Steak dinner's to try and butter up DH before I send him into a DIY frenzy for the next 24hrs!

GrottyPotPlant Fri 15-Feb-13 20:05:08

Poor you emsy!! Glad you are being looked after, but such bad luck re your sister's wedding! I was dispatched to a wedding in place of a close relative once, who was stuck in hospital, purely to lurk at the back, video it with one hand, and text her pictures with the other. Very odd for me, as I didn't really know the couple and it was a very small wedding, but both they and she were heartbroken that she wasn't able to be there, so they were glad she had an embedded reporter instead, and I then went straight to the hospital to show her the video. Nowhere near as good as being there though, but better than nothing at all.

Glad you have not practiced your stair diving today, SoYo!

pudtat I know what you mean re bellyful of baby! Not quite sure where mine hides when he's not being a bellyful though...

Emsyboo Sun 17-Feb-13 06:13:43

Hi all how are you?
I am hoping to get out of hospital today have had lots of rest which was needed and only have to wait till thursday for a decision on c section or natural birth.
Doctors seem to think its likely I could get a natural birth but I don't know how I'll cope with potentially another 6 weeks of worry (to 42 weeks) quite surprised by this as each bleed gets heavier and even though placenta is now 17mm away from cervix I am still getting bleeds but it means it is minor previa rather than major which is fine when your not getting complications and being rushed into hospital doesn't feel minor then. sad
I didn't get to watch sisters wedding yesterday as they couldn't give me wifi access on the ward for security reasons fair enough wouldn't want people hacking into sensitive files.
Did toast her with some elderflower presse and DH brought in some decent food.
Fundal height hasn't grown for 2 weeks but they aren't the most accurate do hopefully will get a better idea from the scan.
I am feeling loads better off the drip but pin cushioned from 2 cannulas and various blood being taken.
This thread has been quiet this weekend is everyone out having fun or having babies? X

zigwig Sun 17-Feb-13 07:54:18

Sorry you missed the wedding emsboo but very glad you and baby are doing well. It'll be nice to get home I'm sure and see the videos and photos of the wedding.

It would seem my little horror has decided he's had enough at 36 weeks as my waters went unexpectedly at 6.30 yesterday morning. I'm now stuck in hospital waiting for labour to start. Boo. No home birth for me.

pudtat Sun 17-Feb-13 08:29:15

Oh! Good luck Zigwig! Hope all goes smoothly, if a little early! xxx

StormyBrid Sun 17-Feb-13 09:47:11

Keep us updated, Zigwig! Fingers crossed it's quick and easy for you.

Emsy - been out having fun. Friday was a cake day (not going to have many of those after birth) and Saturday was spent with the man, helping him relax after his first week of work. No sign of baby yet. And she's having one of those ridiculously quiet days today, where she refuses to move and then just when I'm on the verge of calling the midwife she goes into full on flailing mode. I am so looking forward to having a normal stomach again!

plonko Sun 17-Feb-13 10:01:20

Oh emsy that sounds very stressful! Lets hope baby stays put a little while longer. Sad you had to miss the wedding. I kind of agree about the stress of undergoing another long wait before a natural birth, it's stress me out so much! Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy, may it be long and uneventful grin.

Oooh zigwig I hope it all goes ok. Only a week early really and you'll soon be having those lovely newborn cuddles!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now