Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

March2013 New year, new trimester, old symptoms but the finishing post is in sight!

(945 Posts)
Oodsigma Fri 18-Jan-13 12:11:04

And confuddled has passed it!

So will this one be our last before we move to post natal?

And who is next?

Thanks sarah & jojo for the thread title. smile

Rainbowbabyhope Sun 03-Feb-13 15:30:01

Thanks to all for the kind comments - feeling a bit better today. grotty your point about making decisions out of fear or ignorance is exactly right. Provided I am happy that I have had all the relevant information and discussed risks/benefits fully then I can feel confident in my decisions and put the 'what ifs' aside. I would never ignore sound medical advice - in the face of evidence that something is not quite right I would be taking all the medical assistance available that would help to secure a good outcome. Like tramp says having a happy healthy baby is the goal. Problem with unnecessary induction is that it does inherently have additional risks to mum and baby so just don't think it should be undertaken lightly. For me, there needs to be more benefit to an induction than just purely physiological benefit in order to outweigh the risks.

soyo thank you for your perspective - I think early induction for reassurance only is exactly what is being offered here. I appreciate that many people in my position would perhaps jump at it to keep their sanity by having a fixed date for labour just for the waiting and worrying to be over. I think the consultant and midwives are just very surprised that my DH and I don't feel like this - for us, our peace of mind is just not as valuable as minimising risks to baby and accepting an early induction without medical indication would go against this. Its just always really disconcerting to go against 'policy' and hard not to second guess yourself in case perhaps you misinterpreted the information/recommendations you are being given.

Hope everyone is having a great relaxing weekend!

courgetteDOTcom Mon 04-Feb-13 01:20:23

Rainbow, it sounds like you have a good attitude about what he's saying and I agree with you, it sounds incredibly dodgy for him to be suggesting an induction just for the sake of it. You sound a lot like me with my first VBAC, I decided that they were leading me down a path that didn't really sound like the best thing for my baby and challenged them on it. I was fortunate that they were actually quite positive about me going for a VBAC. I did promise them that if they said that things weren't going right I'd beat them to theatre but why should we go for a CS (with a GA too) just in case when there was plenty of time for something to show up if it was a problem? I think being a high risk pregnancy is more reason to have a natural birth because you have more chance to see if there's a problem.

Baby comes out of hospital tomorrow! As long as snooty sister who called me today doesn't object angry she woke me up this morning (was a lie in, so not unreasonably early) with a really sharp "Mrs... are you planning on coming in today?" so I explained I wasn't sure as husband was in London visiting his sons and I would be reliant on Mum to get in. So she snaps back "Well. We wouldn't want anything to affect him coming home" which sounded like a threat to me. I said again I wanted to but I don't drive so I'm at other people's mercy and she said bye and cut the call. Less than 50 second call. Mum was spitting when I told her, kept asking if I'd told her this or that, unfortunately being woken like that you don't tend to have the good lines ready!

plonko Tue 05-Feb-13 08:25:35

Ooh all gone quiet here....

courgette it must be lovely to have him home - and no more snidey sisters! You just get to enjoy him.
grotty think it was you who asked, I have been discharged back to midwife led care. Very pleased about that as I'd like to at least try the hippy dippy birth route!
Right, everything in my house is now sorted. Basket arrived, getting bedding today and my connecta's coming next week. I've told bump he needs to arrive next week as the cat is beginning to lay claim to the cot and car seat. After tomorrow I'm considered 'term', I can't believe it! It still feels strangely distant. Anyone else get this? I can watch bump wriggling about, buy lots of baby things, have all the achey pains and physical signs of being pregnant and I still can't get my head around it! Maybe I need to meet him to understand that he's mine.
Also some definite prelabour stuff going on here... Anyone else?

And stormy did your nappy kit arrive? Mines so soft! Very impressed.

SoYo Tue 05-Feb-13 09:07:05

Plonko I completely agree about it feeling distant! DH thinks I'm mad that I have this huge kicking bump but can't believe that soon I'll actually have a baby! I too don't think it'll hit until I'm holding him/her!

Had a lovely start to mat leave as it was our wedding anniversary yesterday so DH was off & we had nice lunch out then spent rest of day baking & putting pram together that was delivered yesterday too! Today should be even better as DH bought me a prenatal spa day for my birthday that I'm having this afternoon! Can't wait as I still ache like hell from too much enthusiastic dancing in very high heels at a wedding on Saturday!

Aim for later in the week is get the hospital bag sorted so lots of giant pants & pads to buy!!! Very glam!

StormyBrid Tue 05-Feb-13 11:53:02

Not yet, Plonko - they were out of the colour and size cover I was after, so it was delayed until the end of January. Must email and see what's what, actually.

Every time I look at the pram there's a cat in it. Can be quite awkward to remove, too!

Oh God, the hospital bag. The man's being sent out to buy a rucksack for me today (it'll do as a changing bag later too), and I have a list of everything that needs to go in there. Plan is to have it sorted by the time I hit 36 weeks on Friday. Will hopefully have the cot erected by then (we have screws but no skills, so brother doing that tomorrow). And my plan for the week is to wash all the donated baby clothes and get them sorted out, and assess what we still need - 0-3 months may be too big, I hear, so could do with some newborn sizes too.

It feels both ages away and yet coming up far too soon. Four and a half weeks! Not relishing the thought of labour but very much looking forward to getting her out of there. I feel enormous and she wriggles incessantly, comfort is a thing of the past, and I miss my stomach muscles...

leniwhite Tue 05-Feb-13 15:21:34

Hello all,

We've sort of made a ton more mess trying to paint the nursery room and tidy up... Looks like a squat!

Got hospital bag packed, then at the NHS birthing class today they gave out another list with different stuff on. Yawn confused

I'm now unable to stand up without having to wee straight away, anyone else? Hoping it's normal and not because I've done too many hip rotations on the ballshock

Happily also found out that my labour ward has birthing balls, rocking chairs and stools and even a pool! Feel a lot more reassured knowing they automatically let the cord pulsate, don't do many episiotomies and even give you skin contact immediately after a C section. Some of the MWs even do hypnobirthing.

Courgette is baby home successfully? Hope you're settling in ok! Must be surreal.

I'm 33 weeks today and nothing feels real, even with bump doing awfully ouchy things in there. Washed all his clothes (do we have to wash things from sealed packs too?) but still keep looking at the tiny vests and feeling like they're toys! All the other mums at the class were 30 weeks so I felt huge and somehow more experienced - funny how a few weeks brings so much in the way of new symptoms and knowledge...

leniwhite Tue 05-Feb-13 15:22:57

Stormy are you ever tempted to practise pushing the cat around in the pram and see if anyone notices? I would! wink

StormyBrid Tue 05-Feb-13 18:09:22

Tempting! But I'd have to strap the cat in, and I don't really fancy a trip to A&E.

My labour ward also has a pool, and it's often not in use, so I'm considering giving it a try. That's the only thing I got out of the NHS classes, really - everything they told us I already knew, except for specifics about the local hospital.

No idea if we're meant to wash stuff that's sealed. Hopefully someone will!

leniwhite Tue 05-Feb-13 18:15:20

Ah maybe just round the house then grin we bought LO a cuddly rat and now I'm worried people might think that's weird...

I wish i could use the pool on the ward hmm

plonko Tue 05-Feb-13 18:40:13

Leni I washed everything in a manic nesting rage to make it softer. I'm sure this isn't necessary. Thinking of those who go into labour prematurely and haven't had a chance to wash everything like a loon. I think I was somewhere in the middle dates-wise at my antenatal class, but I was shocked at the variety of bump sizes! I should have been more humble as I've just had to chuck a pair of h&m maternity jeans after my ever widening hips have created not one but TWO holes in the crotch.

Stormy, last time I tried to shoo my cat out of the carseat she just sat there. Even when I picked it up and started carrying it upstairs. I'm now glad I picked the lightest one I could find. Ooh I hope those nappies hurry up! I can't tell you how excited I got over mine blush

Am strapping an eviction notice to my belly tomorrow. I will be 37 weeks, rolling over in the night is just a joke, I snore like a foghorn and walking slowly around a shopping centre for two hours today has resulted in my wallowing in the tub for an hour to soak my sore back. I now understand when people say it feels like baby's head butting their cervix. I just want to meet him!!

StormyBrid Tue 05-Feb-13 18:49:54

I expect you've mentioned before but my memory is terrible. Why can't you use the pool? I figure I ought to give it a go because a) I love baths and b) I have a never-used maternity two-piece swimsuit thing and it would be a shame to waste the opportunity to try it out.

Oodsigma Tue 05-Feb-13 19:17:22

Yes do wash everything as newborn skin is v sensitive and doesn't like new clothes!

StormyBrid Tue 05-Feb-13 20:03:37

Probably a stupid question, but wash with what? I have been using the same enormously gigantic tub of cheap washing powder since 2009, and am having horrible visions of it basically melting the baby.

Oodsigma Tue 05-Feb-13 20:05:21

Just non-bio ( that's what I do). Dd3 had horrendous rash from brand new clothes ( run out when I was in Hosp & dh nipped to asda)

GrottyPotPlant Tue 05-Feb-13 20:35:59

plonko I'm 37 weeks today! No eviction notices for me though- I'm quite happy for him to stay put to 42 weeks- I'm nowhere near ready!!
Quite happy to roll around the bed like a heffalump and stagger about for a few weeks more whilst I actually procure all the necessary equipment... (not that they need much when brand new, I keep telling myself.)

jojo is about 10 days ahead of us- and the early ladies are doing an amazing job of hanging on in there. But we must be about to get some more arrivals to join courgette's trooper, terrifying thought.

Ood good to know that, my Mum has made me feel a bit excessive wanting to prewash things. But given how horrible a lot of the textile processing is now, it seems common sense to wash first and get rid of at least some of the chemicals on there!!

leniwhite Tue 05-Feb-13 20:38:36

Stormy - i have to be on an ecg the whole time, not waterproof sadly! I know my arrhythmia will be fine but they're insisting hmm

Countmyblessings Tue 05-Feb-13 21:48:02

Ohhhhhhh its all go here!!! I have all my bits for hospital bag just need to get them all washed and I use Fairy its never failed me and have had Zero issues with sensitive skinned babies! My ds has skin if you breath on it he gets a rash!!!!!! He has really dry skin so I'm forever bathing him in olive oil and baby oilitum if I don't he itches like he has fleas!!!
Ds3 is getting use to the fact that he is being evicted from our room real soon told him" baby is coming in here, so your going in with big sis" he told me " no the baby can go" so as from next week going to move him out so he get use to it!!! I'm totally prepared for huge fits of screaming its DH that is the soft one! I had to be like that whilst potty training too and this week he been having accidents which ain't funny! So I feel like I'm starting again from scratch!!! Totally shattered with asking him to go toilet!
As hips decided to give me more problems I had to get out the potty and put in right beside me in front room! So I could keep eye on him!
Blah!!!!!!!!

plonko Tue 05-Feb-13 21:55:56

grotty I would say race you to the finish line! Can't say I'm thrilled by the possibility of being pregnant for another five weeks, I'm impatient at the best of times and have everything ready now! Also looking forward to reading a steady stream of birth announcements.

Hmm is fairy non bio?

plonko Tue 05-Feb-13 21:59:44

Looks like count has answered my question! I guess there being a baby on the box means it's sensitive. I've become a right dipshit lately.

Potty training in the third trimester, count? I salute you!

pudtat Tue 05-Feb-13 22:18:37

33 weeks today and not sure how I am supposed to manage another 7 (never mind more) so early arrival sounds good, except builders have arrived and there is now literally nowhere to sit or eat in the house. Certainly no chance of getting to nursery til at least weekend after this one coming, so don't feel very organised or prepared (not my style at all!). Back killing, and have great long day tomorrow doing tour of London clients which means hours of trains and underground... think I will be shattered by the time I get home. In fact, best off to me bed now to prepare...

We are all allergic to fairy non bio - they changed their formulation a few years ago.
I now use surcare which is non fragranced for sensitive skin and wierdly cheap.

GrottyPotPlant Wed 06-Feb-13 12:43:30

plonko no, no, after you (stands back politely from the finishing line).

I'm a big fan of BioD (which is non-bio, but very ecological and delicate) for all things, but my old housemate was allergic to that- the only sort she could use was Sainsbury's own brand non-bio. Horses for courses, as with all things, I suppose.

Good luck with your shlepping pudtat!

Countmyblessings Wed 06-Feb-13 15:25:57

Plonko- seriously don't know what's goin on with ds but I guess he knows he is being evicted from being the baby in the house has made he revert to some baby like behaviour,as he is my oh boy and what I thought was my last I guess I held onto him longer then I should the other dc never got this and was much quicker in potty training, walking and talking I'm trying to be patient but am slowly getting to my wits as I watch my DH undo my hardwork in getting him to go to the toilet un prompted!!!!
There are def some great washing powders/ liquids to wash babies clothes - it's def a personal choice!!!!

Countmyblessings Wed 06-Feb-13 15:27:03

Spelling -my only boy!

SoYo Wed 06-Feb-13 15:47:48

Just back from the midwife, 36+2, head is engaged and well down, good position, measures a little far too big, bloody loads of period pains and Braxton Hicks....the race is on (aaaaagh)! I still think I'll go over but we'll see! Did manage to start the hospital bag shopping with some nighties that have good boob access and 10 pairs of giant pants from M&S but their bras fitted terribly (first time they've ever let me down for bras) so off to Mothercare tomorrow. Next stop with hospital bag is Boots for nappies, creams and all sorts of things to mop up all sorts of leakages from both me and Bubba! This is all getting a bit serious now!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now