Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 part six...what does the third trimester have in store?

(988 Posts)
edinfirst Sat 12-Jan-13 22:43:34

Link to stats thread

EmpressMatilda Thu 21-Feb-13 16:26:14

Don’t know quite what advice I am seeking here –maybe I just need to rant a bit.

I am really worried that DH just isn’t taking parenting seriously. We have a car seat that won’t fit into his car so he is going on about propping it up on a cushion or pile of books because “as long as we strap the baby in tightly it will be fine”. I have explained that this is highly dangerous and probably illegal but he just tells me to stop being “hysterical”. He still hasn’t forgiven me for buying a new mattress for the cot (because advice says you can buy a secondhand cot but should really get the mattress new). He called me hysterical then and hasn’t really stopped using the word since. I am also “frivolous” because I bought a baby bath instead of agreeing to wash the baby in the sink. Never mind that it only cost me a tenner!

We’ve got our first NCT antenatal class tonight. I was looking forward to it but now I am dreading it. He has made it clear he doesn’t really want to go because he says it’s nothing to do with him as he’s not the one giving birth and that it’s all about feminists trying to force men to get involved in “women’s things”! He can be outspoken at the best of times so I am a bit worried he’ll be the troublemaker of the group.

What I really hope is that it teaches him some things and acts as a wake-up call but I’m not sure –it could just alienate him completely.

He is a really lovely and loving person and I think he will make a great dad but at times like this he really worries and annoys me.

Anyway, that is all I wanted to say. I guess it’s just another hassle I could do without at the moment, when I need him to be strong and sensible.

JaquelineHyde Thu 21-Feb-13 17:46:51

Empress another DP sounding like a twit! Really who suggests not fixing a car seat in prperly angry I suggest hitting him with a shovel also grin

In all honesty I would say that this sounds like a classic case of nothing appearing real until the man actually gets to hold the baby in his arms. I suspect the second it all becomes reality he will become the most protective attentive Daddy in the world. If he doesn't then you do have problems!

I had my scan and everything today and apparently the baby weight approximately 4lb 7oz which woulod put him at about 34 weeks (I'm 32 weeks today) and he is head down. All is well and I got given some lovely photos...back in a four weeks for my final scan. Hurrah!

32 weeks today.

wishfulthinking1 Thu 21-Feb-13 18:55:14

empress - what is it with these men at the moment?

I echo everything Jacqueline said- silly man with his head in the sand. Will just say that our NCT classes were brilliant- my dh found them really useful and the fact that everyone was in a couple gave it a 'all in this together' feel. The instructor was great- really friendly and informative- and there were lots of times where we went off as a couple, in different couples or separated off in to men and women. Perhaps it'll give your dh a sense of perspective. Try not to worry smile

X

Talking if not groups- th first couple in our group was a bit ahead of us and had their planned c-section today- they've texted to say that all went well. Makes it all feel like its getting very close!
X

wishfulthinking1 Thu 21-Feb-13 18:55:37

P.s. jacqueline - glad scan went well x

toobreathless Thu 21-Feb-13 18:58:13
Dysgu Thu 21-Feb-13 21:53:17

Glad your scan went fine jacqueline I didn't end up seeing my bump at today's growth scan and consultant meeting as everything is going so fine hmm
TBH was a bit sad at not getting to see bump - especially as I had DD1 with me and she would have loved it - but then again, if everything is going so well....

My diabetes is all fine, numbers fine and diet fine so they don't need to see me in two weeks (consultant told me I am 'intelligent' enough to get in touch if my numbers change otherwise they don't need to waste my time sitting in more waiting rooms!

Next consultant said everything looking so fine, baby measuring exactly right for 31 weeks that, if I get past 32 weeks (DD1 arrival) and 35 weeks (DD2 arrival) and things keep going as well as they are now, then they would not need to induce me until 41 weeks instead of 37. Of course, she also said I am unlikely to still be carrying this baby at 37 weeks, let alone 41!

So I have next consultant appointment in 4 weeks - at which time I will be more pregnant than I have ever been.

empress I too thought that your DH would change once it all becomes real and he is holding the baby in his arms. I think it is hard for men - even if they come to the scans, hear the heart beat and see the bump and feel it move. It doesn't really become real to my DP until he cuts the cord and he is the same with this one (DC3) as he was with the others - interested but not really emotionally involved! He is a fabulous dad though...

EmpressMatilda Thu 21-Feb-13 22:24:52

Thanks guys! I think you are right. He clearly finds it hard to think about the baby as a real person in the way I do.

We have just come back from our NCT class. It was excellent and DH was really great. I think it's going to work well for us grin

And if he starts behaving stupidly again I am sure I can find a shovel wink

MumOfTwoCats Fri 22-Feb-13 00:05:15

Hi dysgu. I've got GD aswell. How are you getting on? I'm finding it a bit all-consuming at the moment. I can't tolerate any carbs.Sends my readings off the chart. I've been on insulin for two weeks. Not really helping as they just keep on increasing it every other day. Waiting for my levels to come down. Almost frightened to eat now. We have a growth scan in the AM. and another in two weeks. Definitely being induced at 38w - beginning of April.

Love the new thread title toobreathless my dn Alex was born at 29 weeks. He's now a strapping seven year old. I was born at 27 weeks and I'm fine too - even though it was all those years ago! I always take a special interest in mamas posts of course.

32+4

aufaniae Fri 22-Feb-13 00:32:39

rabbitfrommars welcome! Nice to "meet" you, the more the merrier smile

Add yourself to the stats thread and jump right in!

birdbrain17 Fri 22-Feb-13 16:29:16

Just marking my place...
We've been away in the yorkshire dales for half term week, amazing holiday I feel so refreshed! We were really in the middle of nowhere was nice to have a break from the world for a week but because I haven't been online I can see there's lots to catch up on over the weekend!!!!!!
Hope you all had a good half term grin
33+5

Bori Tue 26-Feb-13 18:18:50

Hi everyone,

31 weeks is a bit late joining in, still, it would be nice to have the company of you ladies. smile My due date is 30 April, anyone around that time? Booked into Kingston Hospital, SW London.

aufaniae Tue 26-Feb-13 18:46:10

Hi Bori and welcome smile

Come join us on our new thread (this one is nearly full!)

Have a look at the stats thread too to see who's due near your date (and add yourself of course!)

faithmarshalang Thu 02-Jan-14 08:57:26

Hello everyone

I'm 24 weeks on Sunday due 27th April. This my 2nd I have a 3 year old daughter and expecting another girl. Anyone else due 27th

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now