Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 part six...what does the third trimester have in store?

(988 Posts)
edinfirst Sat 12-Jan-13 22:43:34

Link to stats thread

milktraylady Mon 11-Feb-13 17:59:32

Thanks for the cat advice (ours can't jump, so just got to make sure she can't squeeze tru the gate bars)

Mama soooo pleased your Alex is getting on wellgrin

My last day at work is next Friday! My boss agreed today to let me take all my holidays early. He can see I'm struggling, and he's a nice guy, so that's great.
Getting over a nasty cold/throat infection & hips that are falling apart- hope this week is also better for all of us wink

MrsSimkins Mon 11-Feb-13 20:55:22

Hi yummy mummy's to be!
Loving the cat posts as I was actually just coming on here to ask similar seeing as I just found my cat sound asleep in the pram for the 3rd day in a row! I felt so horrible telling him off as he looked so blissfully happy on there!
Loving hearing everyone's latest news especially yours mama,Alex sounds perfect.
Alls going well here apart from my 3 hour NCTM sessions are just a bit too long, very informative but I'm sure it could be packed into 2 so I don't have to feel guilty when I start yawning!
Not long to go now...

LikeCandy Mon 11-Feb-13 21:42:31

Oooh so many cat ladies on here!!
I have a house cat (4+1/2yrs) and a dog (3+1/2yrs).
Dog is allowed anywhere in the house (no stair gate or anything) but sleeps in the kitchen at night, cat sleeps on our bed if its cold, if its hot she is elsewhere in the house and we hardly see her!
Dog is very well behaved but has no experience of children. Cat is very easily scared, buts she's more likely to run and hide than fight.
I have no idea what to do with either of them with regard to baby-proofing, other than keep my fingers crossed!

Rivergirly Mon 11-Feb-13 22:49:13

Hi all

Been ages since I have posted but I have been keeping up. Had my 30 week check last week and we are measuring a week ahead - which does actually tally with my dates but not scans! Student midwife did all he feeling and monitoring and commented straight away how wiggly our bubs is which I have been saying since I could feel her move - my boy pregnancies were nothing like this one!!

I have been panicking about not having some of the essentials yet and no spare cash to get everything but oh had some good news at the weekend due to being on the wrong tax code at work for a very long time and a refund which is going to cover all the things I've been worrying about so at half term we can hit the shops!! Yey!

Looking forward to having half term at home with my 2 ds and then only have 4 weeks left at work - which still feels like ages really but will come round soon enough!!

Sleeping terribly at night at the moment and having very odd dreams when I do get to sleep - always seem to be having the best sleep just as the alarm goes I the morning.

So glad things are going well for mama and Alex too smile

30 + 4

lili86 Tue 12-Feb-13 05:14:40

if it isnt our friends cat waking me several times a night (catsitting!), its my bladder! Now i can add evil heartburn! been up and awake since 4 and looking after bbf ds today sad

Trishstar Tue 12-Feb-13 07:11:10

Morning ladies x I had a terrible night sleep too! Up a million times for the loo and a naughty cat keeping me up too!

31+0 grin

EssexWelsh Tue 12-Feb-13 08:36:00

Happy Pancake Day!! grin remember you are eating for 2 ladies gringringrin

tattooedapril87 Tue 12-Feb-13 08:51:07

Essex im going to eat for 3 and blame you for my heartburn! (but i'll love every minute!)

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 09:00:48

Ooh I think I'll do pancakes for brunch before work smile

Well I've come out in the itchies! Been steadily getting worse with only a small rash. Worse at night which apparently can be an indicator of certain pregnancy related problems so I'm off to the docs this morning before work.

On a better note, 30 weeks today!

Teapig Tue 12-Feb-13 10:08:09

Happy pancake day, let the eating commence!

We had our first NCT class night and it was great. Everyone in the group seemed lovely and there are just four couples in total so it's a nice size. Hope you enjoy yours tomorrow notting.
mrs simkins, three hours seems very long for a class. Our sessions are 2 hours and that's definitely as long as I can stay awake for.

Just had a routine check with MW and was measured for the first time, all looking good so feeling very happy today. Just wish I could stop work now, five and a half sodding weeks to go feels like forever.

faith I hope you get something to stop the itchies. I'm sure it's nothing to worry about but must be bloody uncomfortable.

Yay for the tax rebate river!

EssexWelsh Tue 12-Feb-13 10:11:27

Well made pancakes and they were....shocking! I'm blaming the shake it up mix I bought for £1 to save on washing up and also the pan, obviously not me! The plus point, they tasted yummy just looked like a dog's dinner wink

Dysgu Tue 12-Feb-13 10:20:20

I am 30 weeks tomorrow Faith so we are heading into the home straight together... and hope the doc can reassure you about the itching but yes, I think it might be something that indicates possible problems in pregnancy.

I have just waddled into town and back - going down was okay but I think the snails were overtaking me coming back up the hills. Every way home from town is up hill no matter which way I go.

mmm pancakes - I will have to balance my day so that I can have one/two later these evening when the girls get home. I am having a hot chocolate right now as I figure I have earned it after all that exercise and my blood results was reasonable this morning.

Luckily no cats here grin although there would be if DP and DD1 had their way. Only I have the deciding vote and with us both working f/t and now heading towards DC3, there are enough things to balance in this house without adding any pets.

River what a lovely tax refund and what wonderful timing. It must be so great to think you can now afford to get all the things you need. My dad gave me £500 for my birthday last November which I have been saving in the bank ready to buy the last minute things. I know I am 'meant' to spend it on me but it is nice to have that cushion. We are heading to the mainland this weekend and are staying an extra day to have a look around the shops and buy tings like a cot and a travel system (if we/I can decide what we/I like!)

And mama always lovely to hear how well Alex is doing. He seems to be only taking steps forward which is fabulous. DD1 was just under 4lb as birth which quickly seemed 'normal' but with Alex's starting point he must be looking really big (in a relative sense) now. Hope you are making forward steps too - are you/the nurses managing to express to help with the breast pain?
Fingers crossed that you are both heading home together in the next few weeks.

As for me, I am just waiting to see what happens. The spotting continues on and off and the MW says it may be the plug but nothing else is causing it. The baby is kicking me in the ribs and heading down. I am hoping to pack my hospital bag very soon but we are on the mainland for the weekend so I have my fingers crossed that nothing happens in the next week (at least).

Hope every one else is doing okay and that aches and pains are ebbing.

SneezySnatcher Tue 12-Feb-13 11:13:04

Great news about Alex and Mama.

lili I'll reluctantly join you with the heartburn. To make matters worse, I have tonsillitis and the reflux is making it burn more!

I'm feeling so lazy today so DD and I are snuggling under my slanket (!) watching Brave until I go to school.

Oh well, three more work days left.

Msbluesky32 Tue 12-Feb-13 11:40:50

I'm far too slow, I'm sorry. I'm glad I'm not the only one finding hills harder these days, I have to stop at least two or three times on the way home going up the hill from our station... 8 days of work left..and counting...

Anxiously awaiting my whooping cough jab ... I heard it can leave your arm numb for a few days... hmm If this is the same jab they are giving children I wonder what sort of effect it has on their poor little arms?!

sneezy and lili I'm with you on the heartburn. I've never had it before but am getting it all the time now - especially in the evening.

We are stocked up for pancake day later! Can't wait! I'm willing to power on through the heartburn for this one smile

teapig you will love the NCT classes - its such a great way of meeting people. we have such a great group, we all went out to lunch on Sunday. We found out this week that a lady on our NCT course had her baby two weeks ago (she was due beginning of April).

DP finished painting the nursery (Lancaster yellow) and stuck up the wall stickers over the weekend! it looks great. Just the small matter of hospital bag now...

Happy pancake day to you all! I'll be risking extreme heartburn tonight by having pancakes after my antenatal yoga session - not he best combo, but hey ho!

Faith I'm 30 weeks today and it feels like such a landmark. If I end up having the proposed CS then baby will be arriving in 9 weeks! Eek! grin

I also had the itching early on and MW said it's only that liver-related pregnancy condition if it's constant burning itching and specifically on your hands and feet. I've had itching back again this week, but mainly bump stretching and strangely around my hairline. Although I have noticed that I've had patches of eczema back on my hands so maybe that's what it it. You should definitely get it check out either way tho.

Teapig I'm so pleased the NCT group went well. Four couples is a nice size. I've got to wait until 26 March before ours start as the session closest to our house were either Jan or March start and I didn't want to traipse to the ones that started in Feb in the next town.

Ollibobs Tue 12-Feb-13 14:52:19

Happy Pancake Day everyone! As I am Canadian, in our house we will be having breakfast pancakes with maple syrup from home! Yum!

Glad to hear that Alex is doing so well Mama! Its amazing the strength such a little thing can have. Hope your physio isn't too gruelling.

As for those with itchiness, I had quite a bit of this a few weeks ago and was told it may have something to do with having the central heating on due to the cold weather. Apparently, your skin is more sensitive to dryness when pregnancy. Was told to try a cool bath. HTH!

Is anyone else struggling to find nursing night gowns for their hospital stay? I have only found one that I like, but am thinking perhaps I am being too picky. I want something comfortable and kind of cute (not sure why though - ha ha)
And have only found this so far:http://www.mothercare.com/Blooming-Marvellous-Maternity-Sleeveless-Nightdress/455196,default,pd.html
How many nighties do I need for my hospital bag anyway?

I have a feeling I am being too picky here....

nottinghillmom1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 16:28:16

Hi all - So i had my check-up today and it went well. The baby is measuring fine. My blood test results were good and my iron level has gone up thank god! Was stressed about the iron level as it was too low but the tablets i'm having seem to be helping smile Just a bit worried that the baby's weight - it is only about 2.2 lbs - is that normal? I'm 29 weeks!!

Teapig glad NCT class went well - i'm excited about mine tomorrow but my husband is more excited than me smile

Talking about pancakes I'm dying to have some right NOW smile

bext Tue 12-Feb-13 16:34:25

I'm with you all on the itchiness - legs and arms are worse. So I've been putting on mountains of moisturiser and body oil. Midwife said it was just skin stretching and being dehydrated. The only time to worry is if you get itchy palms of the hands.

And I've woken up this morning feeling like I've done a thousand lunges. My bum and upper thighs are killing me as if I've done a mammoth bums and tums workout (but of course aren't showing any of the benefits that would bring smile). What's going on?!

bext Tue 12-Feb-13 16:37:54

Oh and Nottinghill, mine was 2lb 13 at 29 weeks and that seemed to be slightly heavier than average looking at the scale in the notes, so seems like yours is probably in the 'normal' region. The midwife would have said if she was worried, wouldn't she?

usernamegoeshere Tue 12-Feb-13 17:00:29

I'm so tired, I had a fairly active day (week even) & by the time I was on way home was hardly able to walk.

Had pancakes last night, having more tonight!!

How do you know the baby's weight?

Fluffeh Tue 12-Feb-13 17:17:02

My new iron tablets are evil! I've been on modified release for a year or two and tolerate those fine but because my levels were really lowing on 2 ferris sulphate 3x a day and the sickness is horrible.
Although I'm hoping to manage a lemon and sugar soaked pancake in a bit smile.
We have our first nct class tonight and although I've spoken to the course leader earlier today about my sight and other stuff I'm scared the other attendees might not be so accepting. Hopefully they'll all be lovely but only one lady from my nhs classes bothered to speak to me directly the whole time we went sad.
Looks like I might be getting a real bargain corned this weekend for just £10! It's light wood with Winnie the Pooh engraved into the ends. I love it, just hope DP can pick it up in time for the seller.
DP has man flu, well to be fair it may be real flu poor guy. He's spent 4 hours in bed sleeping since lunch and still looks really ill now. I'm thinking he will have to wait outside tonight or go home and collect me later, I don't want him "germing" all over the unsuspecting pregnant people.

bext Tue 12-Feb-13 18:10:20

Username, I had a scan last week for reduced fetal movement and on the notes there was an estimated weight. I presume they work out its volume from the measurements and estimate from that.

Fluffeh, I really hope people are nice to you tonight. That's so sad that people weren't friendly at the nhs group. Hopefully nct will be a smaller group and easier to interact. Good luck smile

Jo1984uk Tue 12-Feb-13 19:10:16

MsBlue the whooping cough jab does make your arm go dead for 48 hrs, felt like someone had punched me 10 times in the arm! I had a few side effects too like achy body, slight headache and feeling sicky.. Just kept telling myself it was all worth it for baby :-)

Hope everyone is ok, not really been finding much time to look in as I have a 3-4 hour daily commute (which comes to an end in 13 days yay!) Anyone else have the feeling they will feel bit lost when they start maternity leave? Sure it won't take me long to get used to it though!

Has been good reading about how well little Alex is getting on, you must be so proud mama :-) Can't wait to be a proud Mummy myself.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Tue 12-Feb-13 21:14:41

Hi all. MsBlue my arm was only sore for 24 hours. I got it in my right arm because I am only comfy sleeping on my left!

Doctor thinks my skin is just pregnancy/heat related. He prescribed cream and said no baths before bed sad I'm relieved its nothing too serious.

I'm very pleased I've moved on to short shifts at work. I'm coping much better physically and emotionally. Bit envious of those of you finishing - I've got 6 weeks left yet! But that means I get as much time with the baby as possible..

wishfulthinking1 Tue 12-Feb-13 21:30:28

Hi all-
Can't face making pancakes tonight- am v. Jealous of yours- going round to my mums tomorrow- she says she'll make me some!

Had an exhausting day! Scan showed that placenta had shifted, but not completely out of the way- so being rescanned for that at 36 weeks, it showed that baby's growth was normal, but that I have too much fluid in me (polyhydrosis- or something like that). They did a TORCH screen for infections and I have to have a gestational diabetes test on Friday- think its just to rule it out as I'm not showing any other signs- it could just be one of those things. dr google suggests all manner of ominous things, but midwife and dr seemed fairly relaxed so trying not to worry!

Everyone was really friendly and caring today, I'm not fretting too much- I'm just so tired! Roll on Friday and half term!!
X 31+2

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now