Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

April 2013 part six...what does the third trimester have in store?

(988 Posts)
edinfirst Sat 12-Jan-13 22:43:34

Link to stats thread

Teapig Sun 13-Jan-13 18:02:50

Thanks for starting a new thread edin.

Floss, thinking of you and hoping that baby stays put a little longer.

The Sainsbury's event is great, I've picked up quite a few bits from there at really good prices.

steph, I'm planning to do all the newborn clothes washing and batch cooking while I'm on leave before baby arrives. I'm finishing at 37 weeks so hoping that will leave me a bit of time to do the final preparations, watch plenty of bad tv and eat chocolate.

steph2412 Sun 13-Jan-13 18:13:24

faith ive also only brought 0-3 & 3-6 months clothes as my 2nd dc was 8lb 6 and only just fitted in his newborn clothes so i fugured this time if baby is smaller dh can just nip and get some essentials in newborn rather than having loads hanging around. i feel i cant leave organising things to late as i have my last consultant app at 34weeks that is only 7 weeks ago eek!

LikeCandy Sun 13-Jan-13 18:55:21

Hi all, hope everyone is having a good weekend?

floss good luck, we're all thinking of you and little one, with crossed fingers!

faith we've been gifted 3 Next newborn size sleepsuits, but the smallest stuff I've bought is 0-3m. DH is tall and the midwife seems to think that baby will be too (I'm getting kicked / punched in the ribs / groin simultaneously when she stretches!) I guess if stuff is far too big I'll be sending DH out, or ordering online with next day delivery!!
I'll be washing the basics once mat leave starts at 37+3.

mama still thinking of you and Alexander, hoping all is well for you both.

I washed a (new) teddy today with the intention of sleeping with it for the next couple of weeks so it smells like us, but it looks really scruffy now! sad

I'll be popping into Sainsburys tomorrow, hope they have Lansinoh cream and breast pads in stock! I'm also going to get some cheapy breast pads for now (because I'm already leaking a little most days), and some maternity pads to see what they look like. I always use organic cotton (natracare or similar) sanitary products because my skin doesn't agree with plastic coatings / scents etc so I'm hoping maternity pads are just simple thick cotton!

Oh and I had my 28w midwife appointment this week, no protein in urine this time (I was +1 at 25w) thank goodness but my blood pressure is up. Had bloods done for iron levels. Bump now measuring on for dates, so it's grown 4cm in 3 weeks! Next appointment at 32w.

28+4

EssexWelsh Sun 13-Jan-13 19:19:11

Could I have some advice on mattresses-they vary so much in cost and no idea what I should be looking for. Need a 60 x 120 for our cot bed.

Also how many nappies should I be buying, have been told not to bulk but in case baby doesn't like that brand but want to take advantage of cheap Sainsburys prices but not if they are just going to go to waste.

Thanks

wishfulthinking1 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:32:13

Hi all-
flossi - thinking of you- good luck!

Have 28 wk midwife appointment tomorrow- have to have to at hospital as am having the anti-d injection. (Am sure mw has explained that this is- but can't remember for the life of me- my mum seems to think the injection will be in my bum- can anyone verify this or is my mum winding me up?)

All is well here- just painted toe- nails and have told dh that he'll have to do it next week- bump is getting in the way! I haven't got a massive bump- in fact a lot of people have told me it looks quite small, which makes me totally paranoid, but I'm sure everything is fine- it's v wriggly- looking forward to the bump measuring tomorrow!

Can't believe our baby is due in 12 weeks! We fitted the isofix base in our new car today just to check it out- its so exciting- I can't wait to be a proper family!

Xxxx

28 weeks today!!

P.s. what do you think the chances are of school being closed tomorrow because of snow? I have so much work to catch up on- it would be a big help!!! X

wishfulthinking1 Sun 13-Jan-13 19:35:39

Also, my sterilising set arrived today (ordered when someone up thread found a complete bargain on amazon- it's got so much stuff in it!!)
X

toobreathless Sun 13-Jan-13 19:35:57

DD was 8 lb 8 & wore 'newborn' for a month. I bought some vests in the Tesco sale & was looking at the newborn sizes thinking DD was never that small & she wasn't! Their 'newborn' is 7.5 lb so I got 'up to one month.'

Just beware washing everything in advance, we washed the bare essentials & then waited until DD arrived, we were given quite a lot so took a far amount of stuff we had bought back for refunds/exchanges. Couldn't have done this had it all been washed.

I am planning on packing my hospital bag at 34 weeks. Then I can spend 8 weeks packing and re packing before baby arrives at 42 weeks grin

On the subject of TENS, I found mine brilliant during labour. We had the Elle Babycare tens. I think it was about £60 to buy, I looked at hiring but you get a month and they send it at 37 weeks so we would have had to extend the hire as I hadn't had DD by 41 weeks. We worked out that if you had 2 babies it would pay for itself & then you can resell on eBay or to friends etc

We have been in London for DHs 30th birthday this weekend. We have had a lovely time. Peop have largely been very sweet offering seats on the tube (although I am perfectly able to stand & politely decline) it has been a lot of walking though & now having loads of Braxton Hicks.

However mentioned the Kiddicare 'just for bums' range they are very good we have used them for DD. Tesco have also just started doing 1 months worth on a big box & they are currently 50% off, been using them for DD to take to nursery & really pleased with them.

Just a work of warning for those in the SE/London in particular, when we lived there we chose our nursery & registered DD after my 20 week scan and we only just got a place! - I went back to work when DD was almost 13 months. Worth thinking about now.

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 19:36:49

wishful a quick google confirms its an intramuscular injection, so basically it needs to go into a big muscle and your bum is your biggest muscle! So wear your best knickers! smile

toobreathless Sun 13-Jan-13 19:41:32

Essex I reckon one pack of size 1s and one pack of size 2s minimum. You can expect a newborn to get through 10-12 nappies in 24 hours and it's probably a good idea to have at least 5 days in. IMO you can't go far wrong with Pampers for a newborn then you can experiment with other brands once baby is here.

JaquelineHyde Sun 13-Jan-13 19:42:49

Evening you horrible lot wink

Thanks for the new thread edin

I have spent this morning in hospital after being temporarily blinded this with a brightlight flashing before my eyes. No protein in my wee thank goodness but my blood pressure is up and I have been told to rest and take it easy.

So this is just the cherry on the cake and DH and I have decided that I need to intermit for the year and go back next January to begin my placement. The decision has taken a lot of talking about today and I have cried my eyes out about it but it is done and I am going to sort it all out this week. So I suppose I am officially on maternity leave shock grin

I must head down to Sainsbury tomorrow and try and get some bargains. Thanks for the tip off ladies.

Hope everything is ok for Floss and that you are hanging on in there.

toobreathless Sun 13-Jan-13 19:50:10

JH well done for making the decision, you must feel relieved now it's all decided?

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 20:13:14

Blimey Jacq! Scary times. Sounds like you've made the right decision, you need to look after yourself.

Rivergirly Sun 13-Jan-13 20:27:22

Hi all

Thanks or the sainsburys tip - I have joined today!! Asda also have their baby and toddler event from 17th Jan - had a leaflet in the post yesterday.

My next check up is at 30 weeks and I am also booked in for whooping cough jab at the same time - what is everyone's thoughts on this -?not sure whether I'm sure about it really?? I have a relative with epilepsy and apparently my mum was advised against us having the jab as babies for this reason but I actually had whooping cough at 3 weeks old anyway so do I not have immunity???

On the change bag front I have the Skip Hop Dash bag - had for my ds's and it was fab - loads of pockets and storage for bottles etc and still looks like new!!

26 +3

Nordicmom Sun 13-Jan-13 20:33:04

Hi All!
I just wanted to pop in and say hi ! I was on the April 2012 thread and can't believe DD is already 8 1/2 m and crawling and cruising etc. Good luck to everyone smile ! It goes very quickly specially if you have older children...

Jsa1980 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:38:17

Whishful - I had my anti d last week, in the top of my thigh (wasn't given a choice) stings a bit but nothing major.

Mama1980 Sun 13-Jan-13 20:54:09

Hi everyone, I'm me again! I can't believe I can write on here again it feels like something normal I can do. How is everyone? Thank you s much for all the messages and support smile
Floss I'm thinking of you and have everything crossed your babe stays put if you need anything at all just say the word.
Jacqueline I hope you are feeling better now the decision is made and physically feel better soon.
Alexander is doing great, I got to have my first kangaroo cuddle yesterday! it was amazing, I was so scared that i would feel disconnected but it was amazing, he is so beautiful. He s my baby and I thought my chest would burst holding him, I know him you know? I ended up crying hysterically and feeling very silly for worrying. He is now 2lbs 12oz which is great, he was only 1lb2oz when Born and they told me he wasn't even breathing. The drs have been amazing, totally wonderful, say he is doing as well as any 24 weeker they have seen. He has started wriggling so much they have had to sedate him so he doesn't pull out the tubes, they have reduced his 02 slightly and best of all the scan so far has shown no brain bleeds. smile I can't believe it I literally can't believe it.
I don't remember much after writing my last update on here really, which feels surreal. I remember being monitored then
Pain, a lot of pain, sharp like my stomach ripping, seeing blood and then there were doctors everywhere. I only remember the pain after that, they tell,me my placenta ruptured and they had Alex out in 6 minutes but then they couldn't control my bleeding. To be honest i cant talk about me at the moment, my body doesn't feel likely own but my children do so I'm ok. The drs tell me shock is normal and I have seen a counsellor but right now I only want to talk about my babies.
My dd was in a awful state when I first saw her she screamed and screamed, and cried. I feel so helpless, its gonna be weeks before I can get up. Then she told me about how supportive her boyfriend has been who I then cried all over yesterday trying to thank him. I'm pretty sure I will be winning embarrassing mum awards.
I'm not sure if I'm making sense here, sorry if I'm not, I feel strange but very very lucky. My thoughts don't seem to make sense all the time though.
I will check in tomorrow if I can, the drs have promised me I can keep my ipad so long as I don't tire myself. I am having to drink these awful build up drinks, I have another coming round soon, hoping for banana flavour smile
Xxx

JaquelineHyde Sun 13-Jan-13 21:03:07

MAMA YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So, so glad to see you posting again. Thank you for getting your sister to update us whilst you ahve been so poorly.

Congratulations on your beautiful babay boy grin grin grin

It is so glad to hear from you, I shall resist from asking a million questions as I don't want to tire you out or ask you to think about things you aren't ready for yet. All I will say is that you are bloody amazing and deserve to have the most incredible 2013!!

If you are up to it could you PM me with details of which hospital you are in and the ward etc. Obviously you don't have to if you wish to remain incognito.

Here have a very un MN ((((((((((((((HUG))))))))))))) grin smile grin

ratbagcatbag Sun 13-Jan-13 21:03:55

Yey. Mama I'm so so pleased, we've all been keeping you in our thoughts. smile

Good luck to floss too smile

Gutted about Huggins leaving uk market, I wanted to try their newborn range but don't want to get stuck on so something that I then can't get.

ratbagcatbag Sun 13-Jan-13 21:06:12

Do we want a closed fb group as well as this board? Happy to set one up if anyone thinks it would be useful? Just remembered a long time ago I said I'd do that. Baby brain.

EssexWelsh Sun 13-Jan-13 21:15:05

I would definitely join a Facebook group, been loads of times I've seen things I've wanted to upload pictures of!

EssexWelsh Sun 13-Jan-13 21:15:49

Eek and Mama amazing news, keep up your energy and amazing spirit and you will be brilliant!

Trishstar Sun 13-Jan-13 21:27:40

A fb group would be great! Names to faces is always good! Xx

HavingALittleFaithBaby Sun 13-Jan-13 21:27:40

Mama how lovely to see you! Glad to hear you're making progress. I can't imagine how it's been for you but I'm delighted that you got a cuddle and that Alexander is gaining weight. He must be so tiny still?! But I think what the docs are saying is really encouraging. Tell the nurses your preferences for the build ups (Fresubin?!) - if I know a patient had a preference I'll try to bring them that flavour and make sure we have plenty in stock!

Re nappies - my sister has a little boy (he's toilet trained now but) she said the Lidl nappies are as good if not better than the Huggies nappies.

KelleStar Sun 13-Jan-13 21:30:42

Halllooo Mama! Lovely to hear how you and Alexander are doing, much love to all of your family, it was great having your family updating us on both of your conditions. He sounds like he is doing well and working hard to get fit enough to go home. We are so very happy to see you posting again and talk about whatever you want (or don't want) we are here to lend a sympathetic ear.

Jacq: sorry to hear you were proper poorly and it's a hard decision to make, i am sure you will feel that it's the right decision soon, you and your baby's health is most important.

Wanted to add that, when signing up for all this mummy stuff they will send you lots of e-mails. I created a mummy e-mail address, just a free one, but means I can moderate some of the stuff coming through and it's not clogging up my usual inbox.

Trishstar Sun 13-Jan-13 21:30:46

Mama so happy everything is getting better for you both!!!

Sending love and hugs xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now