Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 Part 2: Looking forward to scans and the beginning of bumps!

(980 Posts)
chocolatesolveseverything Tue 08-Jan-13 21:48:20

Here's a new thread for us summer mums-to-be.

A link to the first thread is here.

This first trimester will end eventually... it will, it will!!! grin

OxfordToLondoner Wed 06-Feb-13 20:19:01

Lexi, I'm 14+2

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 17:47:17
Boosiehs Wed 06-Feb-13 17:43:37

TMI ALERT

Re :dtd. I was worried about sex as the last time we did it (6wksish) I had a brown discharge. However given how hard the sonographer jammed that scanner up me I don't think sex can hurt at all!!!

Mayanbob Wed 06-Feb-13 17:42:45

Hello everyone!

Just checking in really. I have my scan tomorrow and am a right state. Not telling anyone till after I get my blood results back.

Am such a mix of terrified and ridiculously excited.

Yvonney hope you hear about your scan soon. Please phone the hospital to check. I was patientely waiting and it turned out that my request card had got lost. Sorted easily afterwards but still. I hope this isn't the case for you.

GaryBuseysTeeth Good luck with tommorrow!

Hope everyone is well.

beckie90 Wed 06-Feb-13 17:10:47

Thanks rugs Il give it another few days then Chase it up.

Aww I'm so spotty, never had spots in my life. Why why why. Also very emotional, seem to cry at any magazine story, happy or sad, deary me.

Ooo we will be needing a new thread very soon smile

abi I'm also making chicken curry tonight smile yum yum.

I've filled the fridge up with fruit as I now can't stop snacking, so trying to keep it healthy

13+4

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 16:44:05

re sex: part of the problem now is that I felt so rough and then had that insomnia if you all remember that we have only slept in the same room a handful of times, as it was more comfy on the couch for me, and now I got my big long pillow, have slept in bed last two nights and he has defected to the couch! we can't seem to get the hang of sleeping in the same bed again!

Congrats oxford!! Amazing news!!!

Re: sex - we haven't dtd at all this time since about 4 weeks because of mc last summer i just felt more comfortable avoiding dtd til after 12 weeks, particularly because I had erpc done which can sometimes weaken cervix so I just didn't want to take the chance. I assumed we'd start again but since nausea hasn't lifted yet I really really really haven't been in the mood!! Hopefully in next couple of weeks tho I'll feel like doing something more than clutching a pillow as I go to sleep, desperate not to throw up. Fun! confused

13+5

LexiLoganberryBump Wed 06-Feb-13 16:08:22

Mrswajs I feel for you I'd be climbing the wall if I still didn't have a date for mine.

Jollymummy2 Wed 06-Feb-13 15:53:54

MrsWajs yep I suffered terribly with PND and do worry that I'm putting my mood down to the normal pregnancy moods and missing something more hmm
I'm trying to be positive about everything and enjoy this pregnancy as its very likely to be our last baby, but its tough!

In a happy note....really want pancakes with chocolate spread and bananas right now so at least I have moved on from potatoes and cheese (although I could have cried when i realised I had no tinned pots for lunch today) pregnancy is such a funny thing.
13+3

RugBugs Wed 06-Feb-13 15:45:55

I was told 7-10 days for results Beckie and to call if I've not heard by then.

I managed to get all the way to the waiting room before the urge to pee hit me, was really uncomfortable during the scan and the sonographer kept remarking to her student how lovely and full my bladder was blush.
Thankfully the baby was in full on pose mode and measurements were done very quickly, looks like I'm going to remain the short arse in the family grin baby had terrifically long legs and was busy stretching them!

PFEs I really considered moving DD to cloth in the hope I would be able to potty train her sooner, she's 2.2, is mostly dry at night and definately has a degree of control but prefers to go in her nappy than the potty hmm.

Dates moved even further forward than I was anticipating, am 12+6 by crown/rump length.

MrsWajs Wed 06-Feb-13 15:19:29

foof I remember having the hard bump after sex from last time too. No idea this time as we haven't DTD in about 5 weeks. DP is less than impressed with the whole thing and it's causing a lot of tension. Pretty much same as last time too!!

JollyMummy was it you who mentioned previous PND?? Can't scroll back cus i'm on my phone but i had it after DD and was worrying about it returning too. My mood is pretty low just now and arguing with DP all the time doesn't help either. I'm here if you want to sound off.

abilee you're making me want toasted pitta and dip now!! I wish i could stop eating!

lexi & yvonney I should hopefully be joining you for scans next week (finally) although i still don't have a date yet sad They only do NT scans on a Tuesday at my clinic so it has to be either the 12th or 19th and i was really hoping for 12th but it seems a bit unlikely if i don't have my appt yet.

I'm not one for disposable nappies, a friend tried to convince me on them but i just didn't like the udea of carrying stinky nappies around with me!

Abilee90 Wed 06-Feb-13 14:53:33

Going to attempt to cook chicken korma tonight, fingers crossed i actually cook the chicken and not the packaginf this time. Dh was not happy with a cheese sandwhich for dinner instead of garlic chicken :/ he now keeps taken the pee. sad

Anyone else feeling fluey after flu jab
Xx

DaveMccave Wed 06-Feb-13 14:45:09

foof I remember the rock hard bump thing after sex last time, this time I can feel it swelling but it's not quite at the extreme of last time yet. It's just because it contracts, nothing to worry about, and in dact the rush if blood to the womb is great for the baby and the contractions help tone.

I used cloth last time but it was several years ago and I didn't start til dd was about 3 months old so I've been researching all the best newborn ones. If you don't want to start straight away your best going straight into pockets. They are just like disposables, slimmer than 2 partners which get v bulky, and are v quick to dry. Im notoriously lazy brew, and loved using cloth, don't understand the extra work people say it takes? It's just a couple if clicks on the washing machine! And you save a fortune on wipes as well as nappies if you use washable too. Also consider washable breast pads.

Boosiehs Wed 06-Feb-13 13:52:01

Hi ladies. Had dropped off MN for a while as had freaked myself out about the 12 week scan.

Had it today and all markers were fine. Dr said NT was good. Just waiting for the bloods, and they will call me today if any abnormalities.

PHEW! Don't think I've been that scared since DH was having cancer scans.

Congratulations to all you other MTB out there. And hope those if you in hospital waves and others feeling sick are getting better! Xxx

chocolatesolveseverything Wed 06-Feb-13 13:40:06

PFEs - Glad to help, I went shopping in the high street at the weekend and as a 5ft pregnant woman felt like such an incredible freak shock. As Jolly says, Next do petite stuff too, but I'm avoiding their website at the moment in protest for them removing their entire maternity section in my local branch angry. I'm sometimes between sizes too and the trousers I got today from Funmum fit me great, but I wouldn't want them any smaller, so if in doubt perhaps go with the larger size.

Foof - That dress looks lovely! If you decide to get it, let us know what's it's like to wear.

We've not had penetrative sex since conception, but now I'm feeling less grotty we're carrying on with 'other stuff' shall I say... Glad it's not just me who lost interest earlier on. DH was lovely though, never batted an eyelid and just gave me lots of cuddles.

On cloth nappies, I'm interested in hearing people's experiences, but won't make any decision until nearer the birth I think. We do at least have a tumble dryer so maybe they'd work out well.

LexiLoganberryBump Wed 06-Feb-13 13:30:47

foof In regards to sex, I read today, but now can't find the actual page, that when you reach orgasm your uterus goes hard. I also found last time and this time so far that it's easier to reach orgasm and wanted sex more often.

I used cloth nappies last time and will again this time, have you visited the nappy ladies website, she has some great videos where she explains each of the nappies good and not so good points. I also used disposables for the first 8ish weeks. She also has a questionarie where you say what are the most important things like quick drying time speed of change and you can put in what facilities for drying you have and she'll make a recommendation.

Yvonney We're not telling yet, neither of us want to yet but I did almost let stip to my dad last night, he's having a bit of a hard time personal life and I really felt for him, plus I think he'll be the only gp who'll be happy for us.

MrsPennyapple Wed 06-Feb-13 13:22:02

I tried cloth nappies for a while with DD but decided it was too much faffing. DD on her changing mat, do I leave her unattended to take the nappy the loo to empty the poo out? Or try and do it one handed whilst holding her, after I've finished changing her? Do I dry pail the lot and then go rummaging through old poo and wee later on when I come to wash them? Do I really want to potentially carry soggy stinking nappies around if she has needed changing whilst out and about? I'm sure there are plenty of ways around all of the above issues, but I just could not be arsed. The drying was an issue for us too, as we don't have a tumble dryer either. The main thing that clinched it though was the stench that came out of the bucket of nappies when I took the lid off. Even if I washed the contents daily and disinfected the bucket, it was rank.

Is anyone else's digestion completely up the spout? Everything I eat seems to go through me, although I feel fine.

JollyRedGiant Wed 06-Feb-13 13:11:22

PFE have you tried Next? They do petite maternity clothing. I'm 5'1 so really need petite stuff.

We used cloth nappies for a while with DS, but we don't have much facility for drying, and will have even less space to dry them when DC2 is here, so we are going to sell them soon, to fund purchases for the new baby grin

DH has decided he wants a new bed before DC2 arrives. And I want a tablet. So although we don't need much in the way of baby stuff this could end up being an expensive year after all!

Yvonney Wed 06-Feb-13 13:08:54

Lexi - yay glad I have a scan buddy for next week! smile I can't wait to finally tell people our big secret! x

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 13:04:23

I used to shy away from cloth as I thought they would be crap but after looking after a baby who wore Little Lamb nappies, I changed my stance on them. My only concern is drying them, we don't have a tumble, nor anywhere to put one and I don't want shedloads of washing draped everywhere, so need a cloth nappy with the fastest air drying time.
Going to use disp for the first few weeks I think though, then change to cloth, I'd want to get one size ones for financial reasons.

gah - baby brain - sorry for clogging up the timeline for everyone
Yes, I am considering cloth nappies. there is a trial service here where you get 4 different brands for 2 weeks so wee which works best so I'm planning to give that a go and see how I get on with it.
I hate the environmental impact of disposables (I've been a mooncup girl for years for the same reason) and I wonder if kids will potty train more quickly if everything isn't locked away?!?!

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 12:57:46

Foof sorry, x-post

DH and i have had sex a few times but I am shying away from orgasm - everything feels odd and slightly uncomfortable if I'm honest but I miss the 'connection' if we don't crack on form time to time blush I've heard a few women say they have weird sensations in the bump when they reach that point...
Thanks for the heads up on the mag - can't beat a bit of free stuff

Chocolate THANK YOU - I'm struggling to find short-arse maternity clothes for fatties - seems I'm only allowed be be 2 out of 3 on Short/Plump/Preggers :-/
Do the sizes come up small or large? I'm a generous 14 or small 16 (44"hips and erm, substantial in the thigh area)

I've just got back from 15wk MW appt which was great. bloods all fine, iron high at 14 (good) BP great etc etc and heard the heartbeat - racing away at 144bpm grin
Can't believe it's another 5 weeks til the anomaly scan tho - seems AGES away...

waves hope you're feeling better and they have your vom'ing under control xx

FoofFighter Wed 06-Feb-13 12:47:40

oh also wanted to ask is anyone thinking about using cloth nappies?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now