Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

August 2013 Part 2: Looking forward to scans and the beginning of bumps!

(980 Posts)
chocolatesolveseverything Tue 08-Jan-13 21:48:20

Here's a new thread for us summer mums-to-be.

A link to the first thread is here.

This first trimester will end eventually... it will, it will!!! grin

What an awful day for you chuckaluck

I'm back home now. Was an early start and flight was delayed but so pleased to be back smile Feeling sick but think that is more to do with lack of sleep and a bumpy flight than it is to do with being pg.

No snow left at home, just very chilly. Hopefully the snow doesn't cause anyone too many problems

RugBugs Sat 19-Jan-13 12:50:47

I hope your FiL is ok chuck
All these scans are so exciting! Have been so busy with DD since DP's been back teaching, I'm grateful I just have nausea so I can usually battle on. I feel for everyone with actual sickness.

We've got very little snow but enough to make the roads icy and some idiot was driving too fast, lost control and hit DP's car as we were walking up to it yesterday. It was shoved a good 10-15m that's how fast he was going. Waiting to find out if insurance will offer to write off.
I also managed to walk into a climbing frame chasing DD cause I couldn't see it through the brim of my hat! Still feel concussed and the lump on my head is impressive.

FoofFighter Sat 19-Jan-13 17:11:00

shock lucky escape there rugbugs, hope you weren't too shaken, same has happened to me although a drunk driver not weather related, and I just kept thinking lots of what ifs.
had a little grin at your head bump though, sounds like what I would do.

I can smell tuna mayo everywhere! There is a tin of tuna in the pantry, it surely cannot be that I can smell?!

RugBugs Sat 19-Jan-13 17:30:36

I'm not exactly graceful at the best of times and pregnancy seems to turn me into a staggering mess! I had my snow grips on my shoes last few days, if there's a patch of ice I will find it!

My sense of smell is going crazy too, DP was eating an orange kitkat earlier and I had to leave the room the smell was so offensive.
DD has her sweet little girl breath but god it stinks to me when she yawns across the room, I feel like one if roald Dahl's witches! (Except for the toes and hair bit ha!)

FoofFighter Sat 19-Jan-13 17:33:36

re your DD breath, could be she is about to come down with something, my own DD and my partner's breath always smells weird to me just before a tonsillitis/throat infection bout of which they are both very prone too (and that's not being pregnant, way worse now!!)

re the tuna - I am goign to HAVE to go and make a bowl of tuna mayo now hmm just to get it off my mind! Supposed to be having a ribeye for dinner but it's not defrosted in time, so tuna mayo, spinach and mash then I guess!?

I can smell like a bloodhound at the min - everything from air freshener to beer sets me off retching!! At least the tuna smell is making u hungry foof!

waves - glad u made it home safe

rugbug - oh my goodness shock cant believe someone driving like that in this weather!

chuck - hope your fil is ok

Visited a friend today with her wee new born twin boys this afternoon...baby cuddles making me feel very broody grin

JollyRedGiant Sat 19-Jan-13 19:14:37

I made a gorgeous lamb curry last night. Then realised I absolutely cannot face lamb. This happened to me last pg too. The smell was so bad that I can't believe I ever liked lamb!

So last night's tea was breadsticks, soft cheese and half a pack of haribo star mix.

Weird how much smell and tastes are affected by pregnancy.

This phone has recently had an upgrade and the keyboard is now crap. If autocorrect is involved it inserts words in random places, removes spaces and cuts words in half. So if I ever post something illegible this is likely why.

RugBugs Sat 19-Jan-13 21:10:54

I'm with you on the lamb Jolly and possibly every other meat going right now.
I cooked some lovely sea bass on Thurs and just could not face eating it, I'm living off toasted cheese sandwiches, bountys and sour haribo.

Cheers for the heads-up re the breath Foof I'll keep an eye on her.

LittleMiss my Sister is just about a week overdue, I'm quite looking forward to newborn cuddles soon! Will be a good tester to see how DD is too.
When DD was born her 2yr old cousin threw a tantrum whenever her Mum or Nan held DD, I'm really hoping DD fares better.

FoofFighter Sat 19-Jan-13 22:20:19

Has anyone made any purchases yet? smile

Sugarkane Sat 19-Jan-13 22:35:19

Hi everyone, sorry I have been around, I have been feeling a bit down and just not wanting to talk to anyone, totally normal for me when my B12 injection is a little late (it isnt due yet, but preg messes my levels up anyway.)

Sorry for the recent bad new and loses we have had on the thread.

You can see my baby donut (not doughnut) scan picture on profile from few weeks ago, due another scan soon, but need to try and bring it forward or will miss the testing time.

JollyRedGiant Sat 19-Jan-13 22:55:24

We've not really bought anything Foof, but we've sold 3 bookcases. We need to move ds to another bedroom before dc2 arrives.

So we are getting rid of bookcases and putting up wall shelves instead. We'll need to buy a bed, shelves and chest of drawers for DS. And we have plans to get more units for our kitchen as we'll lose storage when ds moves to the spare room.

I don't think we need much actually for the baby, just:
Moses basket stand (didn't use a stand last time but having ELCS this time so wil need it)
High chair
Buggy board
New wheels for buggy (and a service if such a thing exists)
Vests & sleepsuits
Muslin cloths
I will make hats and tops I think and all other clothes can be handed down from DS

It's difficult to put all this in motion when I haven't told my parents yet. I speak to my mum about twice a day and I'm struggling at the moment to tell her what we are up to without giving too much away!

RugBugs Sat 19-Jan-13 23:24:47

I was browsing cots this eve, can't decide between a glider or one that will fit alongside our bed. But then I got distracted by thinking how on earth we are going to keep our three cats out of our bedroom at night but still let DD join us.

EggyM Sun 20-Jan-13 08:29:59

Good morning everyone!

Have spent several hours this weekend gazing at my scan photo smile and foof I am staying on the august thread despite the new due date thanks- not changing now- I guess it might well be late and be born in august anyway!

Not buying anything yet - feels a little too early - but we are going to start clearing all the furniture and DH's rubbish out of the spare room soon. Need to start looking for a new car soon too.

And I definitely sympathise with everyone's ridiculous sense of smell. Opening the fridge makes me gag. I never end up being able to eat anything I've cooked myself. And the less said about DH's breath the better!

foof / jolly - no purchases yet but we do have a lot of stuff from ds so will prob just need some little outfits (esp if its a girl!), new carseat and some new mat clothes for me grin holding off til after booking scan next fri tho when i'll be 11+6

sugar - sorry you're feeling a bit down

rugbugs - my DS is quite into babies at the min but will prob be a v differrnt story when he realises he'll be getting a baby as a longterm house guest lol

eggy - lol @ your dh's breath, i dont remember that annoying me when i was pg with ds but this time round its driving me crazy!

ScubaSarah Sun 20-Jan-13 11:38:24

Morning!!
Waves glad you got home safe and hope you're feeling better today
Rugbugs hope your lump I better today, my spatial awareness seems to have disappeared since PG so I'm just waiting for my first 'crash'...
Chuckaluck how's your FIL? Hope he's doing ok

Foof & Rugbugs we started the purchases yesterday. Dream-genii pregnancy pillow and Glider crib from John Lewis. We also discovered that we know NOTHING and as a result I'm having a panic. Things we learned:

1. You don't use bumpers on cribs/cots for under 6mo cos they need air. (not sure what that means for Moses basket ?!?)
2. Small infants (under 6mo?)can't have pillows and duvets
3. Small children big enough for duvets and pillows shouldn't have down (ie polyester only) til 6 yo

What else don't I know?!? :-/

Planned purchases - if possible, 2nd hand bugaboo chameleon and ISO-FIX base for Pebble. Will buy pebble car seat new.
We have nothing at all so starting a list.... Eeek

Dexidoo Sun 20-Jan-13 11:50:17

Have spent some time reading through the thread, trying to get to know everyone! I found the conception threads really helpful and hoping to get some insider info here- clueless first timer! As the weeks go by I'm getting slightly more convinced we might actually be having a baby and it's not just going to vanish [mental].

9+5 and feeling ropey, not much actual vomiting but nausea and dry retching is pretty constant.

We haven't bought anything yet, I think we will wait until test results are in- going for another scan & bloods on Friday and then back a fortnight later for nuchal translucency. All being well I'll start sharing the news at 12 1/2 weeks.

Sugarkane Sun 20-Jan-13 12:01:52

Scuba Its not that they need air its because bumpers are a suffocation risk. I have always gone by the no pillow until 12 months, never heard of no down under 6, but that would explain why I couldn't find down toddler duvets.

The best bit of advice I always remember is baby only needs one more layer than you, a folder blanket would class as 2 layers and so on. Really helped me when I kept overheating my first as I thought she would be cold.

Haven't bought anything yet, way to early for me, although I have most things I like to fly by the seat of my pants most of the time.

ScubaSarah Sun 20-Jan-13 12:40:48

Sugarkane thanks, that helps! So swaddled with blanket (single) is enough or in a babybag with blanket?
Good to know smile
Dexidoo welcome! Good luck with scans and tests x
I'm 12+5 now and all good so starting purchases to spread the cost/overwhelming feeling of eeeek, this is actually real!!

JollyRedGiant Sun 20-Jan-13 12:48:55

DS is 21 mo and still in a baby sleeping bag. He now has a knitted blanket too.

You're not really supposed to have anything in their cots beyond secured bedding (and the baby).

I would suggest that none of you buy a high chair until nearer weaning time. I know a few people who got one then realised it was impractical or didn't fit in with their 'parenting style'.

scuba - baby sleeping bags come in diff togs (that came as news to me!!) so when its hot weather, like in Aug when our new arrivals will be arriving, a light cotton sleepsuit and a low tog bag will do the job but by the time snowy December comes a warmer sleepsuit and a higher tog sleeping bag will be better smile

GaryBuseysTeeth Sun 20-Jan-13 15:29:59

We've got a Mothercare (only decent thing they sell) feeding booster seat that will fit on any dining chair (and folds up small) & a foamy one for when we're taking DS out & about, although tbh DS & I normally share a plate of food on the floor most days.

Scuba this cot wrap is the limb friendly way to do cot buffering!
TKMaxx are great for grobags at £16-17.
Swaddle pods are much easier to use than swaddles.

Our to buy list is;
Double Buggy (looking at Joovy Caboose as we're in a flat & it's light & narrow)
Travel Cot (not using a moses or 'proper' cot as DS was climbing out of his at 7 months)
Car Seat

If it's a girl we'll buy a few bits of clothes but it'll spend it's first 2 years in hand me downs.

IJustWoreMyTrenchcoat Sun 20-Jan-13 15:46:09

Foof my mum has started shopping on our behalf. She has bought babygros, vests, a blanket and hooded towel. I am so happy she is excited, I thought she would be a bit taken aback and worried as my work situation is a little unstable at present. I have only recently told her, felt like a naughty child an I am nearly 30!

I will maybe buy a few small things if the 12 week scan goes well, but leave the bigger purchases unless there are any bargains to be had.

We are doing plenty of research on pushchairs as I know it will take me an age to decide. I am lurking on the pushchairs thread and the nappy thread too.

We would really like a Bednest or similar, maybe the Baby Bay or Arm's Reach. Would be really interested in any opinions/recommendations.

RugBugs Sun 20-Jan-13 18:07:34

Thanks Scuba my head is so much better today. I got a little worried last night that I could feel a lot of pressure but it's gone down today and I can string a coherent thought together grin

That's the glider we're looking at too (John Lewis), in white probably but also at the babybay, we ended up co-sleeping with DD after 6 weeks, she just would not settle and would wake the instant I put her down so want to be prepared for that again.

Our phil and teds is still going strong buggy wise but I want to buy the carrycot. Have no idea if we'll need to get the second seat yet, it's a nice option to have on long walks I guess.

A new car was also on our list EggyM but DPs parents have today offered to upgrade our too small c3 (tall DP means no car seat will fit behind him) for a c3 picasso. DD is going to LOVE it! Massive sunroof and her own reading light on her tray table.

ScubaSarah Sun 20-Jan-13 18:12:36

Thanks Gary super helpful and I've now filled up my Amazon wish list wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now