Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 11:17:59

Purple you should tell your OH that you will buy the dungarees as long as he accompanies you in his onesie grin
I have done lots of thinking but no actual action. My baby purchases so far remain at zero. I want to find out the sex first - I don't intend to buy a load of stereotypical pink or blue stuff but I just think it will help to know when buying for it. My Sis is 29 weeks and still hasn't bought anything so you are not on your own!

I hope you're feeling a bit better? Your OH sounds like a good 'un. Can you get him to drop me a Dominoes off about 7pm? grin

janey1234 Fri 11-Jan-13 11:26:40

purple I LOVE your OH. He sounds awesome. Hope you feel OK-ish.

I haven't bought anything either. But strange things keep happening. Went shopping on Sunday (football was on) and entered Westfield with my usual excitement at a rare hour or two of shopping self indulgence, Christmas gift vouchers in hand. First shop I find myself in? Mothercare. Strange... Then last night, wandering along High Street Kensington looking for a birthday present for my best friend after work. First port of call? A very swanky baby shop. She doesn't have a baby.

Odd.

I think it's his way of making sure I eat, aww it was nice of him though. Yes maybe I'll start buying when we know what we're having. I just think with some purchases if you start looking too early there's too much choice and you can obsess and send yourself mental with it whereas if you leave it til the last minute you'll walk into a shop and say 'that one will do' and be just as happy with it as one you'd spent three months scouring the Internet for writing copious notes and reading totally conflicting reviews on.
Alternatively I might let you guys obsess and research and then just copy one of you. I'm terrible I'm excited about the baby of course but the buying stuff? I genuinely can't be arsed, a cot is a cot right?
I'm aware this relaxed attitude is subject to hormonal imbalances and could change at any time!

Plus my mother is doing enough excited baby clothes shopping for the both of us, at this rate I won't need to buy any clothes at all. Oddly though almost everything she's bought is blue, now I'm not into gender stereotyping so blue is fine but does she know something I don't?

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 11:36:21

I haven't bought anything either, just browsing and reading reviews. And the advice here about what you really need, don't want to end up with tons of useless top and tail bowls etc.

Need to get the next scan done first to see if everything is fine. We also need to get a new car for DH - this baby will be expensive!

(Am quite tempted to get stuff in "wrong" colour just to confuse people - there are many experiments where people describe the same baby as big and strong if it's dressed in blue and tiny, sweet and beautiful if it's dressed in pink. Same baby. Ridiculous.)

Have annoying back pain today - I guess that's normal too?

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 11:38:15

Purple, proably just too early. According to pregnancy books, it's normal for us to go a bit crazy with the nesting instinct around 8 months and start obsessing over nursery curtains.

I've got to buy a new car too but am determined to enjoy my sports car until I absolutely cannot squeeze myself in and out of it any more!
See it's the reading and researching bit I hate Hazle, I'm nominating you my chief researcher grin you seem to be more organised than me. When's everyone's next scan?

Ah yes I don't doubt it will get me in the end but I can deal wit 8 months that's nice and last minute! Until I can't get what I want and end up weeping copiously of course.

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 12:17:36

My next scan is only on 19th of February - was supposed to be sooner, but had to postpone due to holidays.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 11-Jan-13 14:20:31

So I can tell how far behind everyone else I am when are you all due?
Apparently mine is around 1 Sept.

janey1234 Fri 11-Jan-13 14:30:01

July 9th according to my dates, July 5th according to the 12 week scan...

My next scan is on the 23rd February I think hazle - the scary 20 week one....

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 14:35:47

Due around June 21st.

Due 2nd July according to 12 week scan. 20 week scan on 12th Feb.

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 15:47:58

My 20 week scan is 11th Feb and baby should make an appearance around 26th June.

We will also have a vehicle situation. We currently have 3 between the 2 of us and unbelievably none of them will fit the whole family in once baby arrives. Admittedly one of them is our beloved campervan which we are very reluctantly going to sell. sad It pains me to say it but we're going to have to get a 4x4 or an Estate which can fit both pram and dog in the boot. I would rather walk than get a People Carrier It makes me want to cry when I think about how much cost is involved in this baby!

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 16:18:29

That's exactly why we need a new car for DH - baby, pram and 2 big dogs. I already have a 4x4 (Toyota RAV4 that I love) but DH needs one too, as he will be the one mostly driving all of the abovementioned around and I hate his car, so won't swap.

Hmh a colleague just mentioned that I look tired, that it must be the pregnancy, right? It's Friday evening, of course I look tired! 4 weeks til holidays..

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 16:27:15

Yep, I always get Friday afternoon tiredness. And Monday, Tuesday, Wed......

My DH loves loves loves his car. If our house were to burn down he would rescue his car first, then his snowboard and then me. hmm I don't think I am going to have any joy getting him to swap it for a 4x4, and mine is a company car so I don't have much choice (and can't opt out to have a cash allowance instead), so it looks like we will be remaining a ridiculous 3 car family.

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 18:00:00

I think I just felt movement!!!
I could be talking absolute bollocks of course because it's still quite early at 16+2, but I just had a little power nap and was lying on my back having just woken up and I felt the strangest sensation. I can't even describe it but I have never felt anything like it before and I can't think what else it could be grin

Wow Rach that's so exciting!
We've got two massive dogs two grown ups two teenage boys who are both bigger than me a baby and a pram to fit in one of the cars. OH has a Honda CRV (would recommend if you're looking for a 4x4 type) which will fit all above mentioned people and pets in but think we would need to strap the pram to the roof cos it would be a squeeze as it is!
I'm getting a Honda civic for me and little one to tootle around in dogs not welcome! And selling my beautiful lovely hugely impractical sports car which if I could find a pram that fitted in the dinky boot would keep. I need to get over the car clearly.

Oh and if you're wondering about the proliferation of Hondas in our family OH is a mechanic and swears by them and won't buy anything else and I always think you can't get a better recommendation than that just for those who are looking at new cars.

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 18:52:30

Rach that's indeed exciting! I have had some odd feelings, like there are bubbles popping in stomach, but that could just be digestion as well, not sure..

What kind of dogs, Purple?

Yes, Honda is one of the possibilities and I had a Civic actually before the previous one, very nice car as well.

Insane naughty ones Hazle! I've got a 9 year old German Shepherd and OH got all jealous and demanded his own dog and bought a demented Czech wolf dog puppy who is about 18 months now and has practically destroyed the house. She'll calm down one day! What kind of dogs have you and Rach got? Are you worried about dog/baby? First thing Mil said when we told her the news was are you getting rid of the dogs. Free she clearly doesn't know me at all.

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 19:51:59

You can see mine if you click on my name, Rach has a pic too.
Mine are total mutts, dad is my parents' Irish Setter, mum is their neighbour's mixed breed dog. No, not worried at all, they are very calm and gentle dogs and should be excellent with the baby.

More concerned about our 3 cats - one is a bad-tempered madam and 2 others love to sleep in odd places, so I bet we'll find them in crib, push-chair, bouncy chair, changing table and so on. Have to hope kid is not allergic..

Aww! They're lovely! I've got two cats as well so it's a bit of a mad house really!

Oh and if the kid is allergic you just send them back, that's what my mum threatened to do with me if I was allergic grin she said it stood to reason that the last one in is first out and the dogs had been there longer!

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 21:34:50

We have got a 6 month old Labrador Labradoodle cross who is currently teething. My house seems quite calm with just the one dog compared to the Zoo's you two seem to have! He is very placid and I think he will be absolutely fine when baby turns up but I don't think I would leave them in a room alone together just in case. You can never trust any animal 100% and it only takes one incident so I won't be taking the risk.

We have just been out for a meal and I was brave enough to broach the subject of DH changing his car to something more suitable. He was quite reasonable once he had stopped crying and said that he is willing to change it so long as I don't throw a spanner in the works with trivialities such as practical considerations and that he is still allowed to have something sporty.... but bigger. Goodness knows what that is but at least it's a start! If I am sacrificing my body and bladder control the least he can do is change his car for a while.

I'm really not sure about the movement now but it was certainly the strangest feeling. I really hope it was but I think i'll have to wait until it happens again to be sure.

This thread is not accepting new messages.