Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

janey1234 Wed 27-Feb-13 09:12:35

Brilliant merkin, really made me laugh!

BraveLilBear Wed 27-Feb-13 11:36:26

Morning all.

Hope the Birth and Beyond classes go well Rache who's the provider? I only ask because the official provider in my neck of the woods is called Birth & Beyond Consultancy and they've started expanding into different areas and I'm keen to find out how good they are...

I'm thinking of emailing them to ask about exact content so I can convince OH that there will be no quote unquote 'hippy role playing shit' he so deeply fears. He says he's now thinking about coming to the first to prove me wrong about how hippy and embarrassing they are (I say it won't be that bad and he says it will be humiliating) so I see that as progress on the no-show front.

I'm interested to find out how Baby Bear is lying next week (6 days to go, at last!) I think it's vertical one way or the other as I'm still quite 'neat' in the bump department.

My notes from my 12 week scan were printed out and sellotaped into my notes. I love having a good nosey at them after appoitnments tho have to admit I ended up googling what 'no sedema' meant after my 16-week appt. Eventually realised mw had asked if I'd had any swelling, and had written in 'no oedema' as a result. Took me ages that one blush

I, too, don't have a snazzy blue folder for my notes. I have a brown A4 booklet with papers stuck here there and everywhere already, which I've been keeping in Bounty folder sans junk mail discount leaflets.

Rache1S Wed 27-Feb-13 12:51:32

Just back from Birth and Beyond Bear and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

I have no idea who the provider is other then the classes are at the local Council-funded Children's Centre. I also have to admit I was worried about ending up in a class full of 18 year-old knocked up chavs but my fears were unfounded and it was a class full of lovely normal people.

There wasn't any 'hippy role playing shit' in this morning's class and there doesn't seem to be an exact content. The Midwife taking the class asks everyone what they feel they will benefit from and says she will endeavour to cover it over the 6 weeks in addition to the obvious basic core content. I am going to ask her to cover the options in the event of the baby being breech at term.

I didn't take DH as him being self-employed means it would be quite costly for him to take 6 x half days off. There were about 20 pregnant women in my class and I think there were 4 or 5 partners there.

Can you tell where Baby Bear is lying from the kicks? I obviously know mine is breech but I could tell before the scan as 90% of the movement I feel is very low down as her legs play football with my bladder.

I am also without blue folder. I've got a floppy clear ring binder.

HazleNutt Wed 27-Feb-13 14:38:00

Have to say that I'm not that eagerly looking forward to the last trimester. It's getting a bit uncomfortable now, sometimes ribs hurt when I sit for a long time and I feel generally less mobile and flexible. So googled to see what to expect and the first result is this list about what you should be doing in the last 3 months:
www.babycenter.com/0_the-ultimate-pregnancy-to-do-list-third-trimester_10341209.bc
Some things are useful, but some..

"Commemorate your belly
Celebrate your amazing pregnant belly by decorating it with beautiful designs, getting a henna "tattoo" applied, or making a belly cast". - um, thanks, I think I'll skip that.

"Consider top baby costs and how to save" - bit late to discover that oh, you can't afford the baby and start saving, no?

"Create an online birth announcement. Make a baby watch list. Figure out who you'll want to tell right after your baby arrives (or when you go into labor) and how you'll spread the word" - it's like you're planning to start a war, not tell people you've had the baby.

Second trimester list is not much better.

"Jot down your crazy pregnancy dreams"
"Write a letter to your baby"

Or am I just weird and you lot are all painting your bellies?

janey1234 Wed 27-Feb-13 15:28:31

Oh my god hazle all that stuff makes me want to vom a bit....

They're American right Hazle? They are aren't they? Please tell me it's an American site otherwise I think the world really is going crazy now. And to think I left the Mothercare thing early because some woman was going on about how we should pay her £120 to learn how to gently rub our babies feet so that they wouldn't cry (ok so SHE called it reflexology but same difference). If they had started wittering about bump art I would surely have had some sort of twitchy fit!

HazleNutt Wed 27-Feb-13 16:12:51

Yes I'm pretty sure it's an American site. Big part of the world still crazy grin

BraveLilBear Wed 27-Feb-13 16:35:50

Wow Hazle I think that's up there with sonogram parties (invite mobile sonographer round so friends and family can ogle at your unborn child on the telly) and the gender reveal cake - apparently you can ask at your 20-week scan for the sonographer to write the gender on a piece of paper, which is sealed in an evelope.

Parents then give envelope to cake maker who makes either a blue or pink sponge, and ices over it. Parents invite family and friends to grand unveiling party, where cake is cut to reveal - 'it's a boy/girl'.

I'm contemplating OH taking bump pics, cos I think the change in body shape is fascinating. But that's it...

Rache now that you mention it, it seems that almost all of the movement is in the region of belly button/waistband, although occasionally I'll get some on either side of tum at almost the same time suggesting a bit of lateral lyage... I honestly hadn't thought I'd be able to work it out from movements, but we'll see next week. I'll be taking mental notes on Tuesday morning before going in and we can see if I'm right smile

BraveLilBear Wed 27-Feb-13 16:49:34

Oh and glad class was promising and full of not chavs nice people grin

At my 16-week appt, I was mildly surprised by the other clientele in the waiting room. One mum was with dad, 2-yr-old son 'hogan' who was wearing bling and matching three-stripe trousers to dad's, and her mum, who stank the room out of booze. I live in a kind of a roughish urban area, and the centre is in a rougher part fairly nearby, but still...

Rache1S Wed 27-Feb-13 18:42:48

Hazle I think the only way I will be commemorating my belly is by crying over photographs of when it used to be flat and free of stretch marks. Most Americans really are nutjobs.

Although, on the back of Merkin's funny link yesterday, I did wonder about DH and I doing our own temporary website which could say something like, "Not Yet!" on the run up to the birth and then we could direct friends and relatives to it after the birth and put all the relevant info, birth story and some photos on it in the hope that it might stop DH and I form being plagued with calls and texts after the birth all asking the same questions. I wouldn't consider it if it was a lot of hassle but DH could create a simple site in 5 minutes and a suitable domain name is £6.95 for 2 years.

On the other hand maybe I am as batshit crazy as the Americans. blush

Rache1S Wed 27-Feb-13 18:45:41

Bear the waiting room at the EPU for the scan I had at 9 weeks was like Jeremy Kyle's stage. I have never seen such a bunch of rednecks in my whole life! I bloody well hope none of them are on the labour ward when I'm giving birth!

Whilst I'm not likely to paint myself and like Rach I'm more likely to mourn the loss of my old stomach than celebrate this stretched monstrosity, it did occur to me today that so far there are no photos of me pregnant. I can't see that changing any time soon so if, like me, my child is convinced she's adopted when she's older I'm going to struggle to prove otherwise!

Rache1S Thu 28-Feb-13 09:11:30

Morning All!

Being the caring sharing person that I am, I managed to get DH, the dog and the baby all in on my insomnia last night and at 3am we were all wide awake.

Today is not going to be pleasant in our house!

Rache1S Thu 28-Feb-13 09:14:43

Purple I'm taking weekly headless belly shots in the mirror on my phone smile

HazleNutt Thu 28-Feb-13 09:18:13

You were just practising, weren't you?

Walk around the living room from 5pm to 10pm carrying a wet bag weighing approximately 4 - 6kg, with a radio turned to static (or some other obnoxious sound) playing loudly.
2. At 10pm, put the bag down, set the alarm for midnight and go to sleep.
3. Get up at 11pm and walk the bag around the living room until 1am.
4. Set the alarm for 3am.
5. As you can't get back to sleep, get up at 2am and make a cup of tea.
6. Go to bed at 2.45am.
7. Get up again at 3am when the alarm goes off.
8. Sing songs in the dark until 4am.
9. Put the alarm on for 5am. Get up when it goes off.
10. Make breakfast.
Keep this up for 5 years. LOOK CHEERFUL.

BraveLilBear Thu 28-Feb-13 09:19:50

Lol at Jeremy Kyle labour wards... a stream of 'father's all traipsing in to the same woman, carefully stage-managed by same woman's equally redneck mum. <Shudders>

I, too don't have any pics of me pregnant so far, well not obviously anyway (10 weeks at Christmas doens't really count), but have two weddings coming up, one at 30 weeks in Greece hmm shock grin and another at 33 weeks down south. I'm worried that these may be the only pics of me looking preggers so feel I need to do some 'I wasn't always huuuuge' prep work in advance to fill in the gaps for Baby Bear.

Oh Rache poor you on the insomnia. FWIW though I think it's very considerate that you included the entire family in your angst wink

Hope today isn't too arduous...

BraveLilBear Thu 28-Feb-13 09:22:18

Hazle That's hilarious! I am sat here grinning away like a loon. Oh, hang, on. It just hit me. Helllllllp!!! grin

HazleNutt Thu 28-Feb-13 09:24:46

It must make us horribly snobbish and middle class and all, but Dh also says that he sometimes checks out parents and how young they are what they look like how they interact with their children and thinks that well, if they can manage, we should be able as well!

HazleNutt Thu 28-Feb-13 09:29:46
Rache1S Thu 28-Feb-13 09:56:44

Oh dear. Oh dear, oh dear. What HAVE we let ourselves in for? I should have read that after having more sleep. sad

BraveLilBear Thu 28-Feb-13 10:06:04

Hazle thank you for brightening my day, can't believe I hadn't seen that already.

Rache consider it as advanced boot camp training rather than 'annoying and unnecessary sleep deprivation'. You are the bride doing 3 mile runs and a 100 sit-ups before breakfast just to look skinny in the photos...

<except I guess it's kind of in reverse, lol>

Rache1S Thu 28-Feb-13 10:12:37

Err yeah... the skinny thing is really not working! Lol!

I think I've got sympathy insomnia Rach, barely slept last night, wriggled around a lot but everyone else mostly seemed to sleep through it, did manage not to inflict pain on OH when he was asleep and I wasn't, tempting as it was! I also think I might be coming down with yet another cold as I've spent the entire morning sneezing and sniffing sad

At least Hazle made me smile though!

janey1234 Thu 28-Feb-13 12:10:13

I think that's all of us then. For the last week or so I haven't been sleeping brilliantly, feels a bit like those early days of crazy insomnia. Keep waking between 2.30am and 3am needing the loo and then am unable to get back to sleep. Irritating....

MotherOfCleo Thu 28-Feb-13 18:01:30

<peaks is nervously> well af was due today and she's got lost, no signs at all.....so I thought I'd peak in and say hi. <tiptoes out - sneaky sneaky like>

This thread is not accepting new messages.