Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

janey1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 12:34:48

I was advised folic acid and vitamin D (I think folic acid can't be absorbed properly with it) but take a pregnacare one that involves two tablets a day, the other is omega 3. I only started taking that relatively recently, simply because DP hates fish so we rarely eat it at home so thought I ought to take some.

I wouldn't worry purple - a balanced diet is the best option!

I was allergic to those pregnacare tablets - trust me! I take tesco pregnancy vits one day and plain folic acid the next as vitamins seem to really mess up my system!

Is anything pregnancy wise ever straight forward?! Tho I am by nature someone who loves to read and research things so this is great for me!

HazleNutt Tue 26-Feb-13 12:51:31

I was taking pregnancy multivitamins, folic acid and iron. Last time doc didn't give me folic acid any more, but both the iron supplement and multivitamins have folic acid as well.
Hm not sure there's any Omega in those vitamins, have to check. I do eat a lot of fish, nuts and avocado though, so hopefully got something from there.

BraveLilBear Tue 26-Feb-13 13:00:53

Me and vitamins aren't friends atm. I need to get hold of some dedicated Vit D ones after payday this week (when I can go into town to a shop that sells some).

Took them all through first tri, but preg vits with iron were torture, really stuffed up my system. Am eating a fairly balanced diet and now eating more fish - I think I'm borderline craving smoked salmon at the moment as in I could literally eat it all day - so hoping that all helps...

And I will gladly lay down my 'most fertile' crown - although, since finding it rather easy after ditching them, am much more impressed with the standard of condoms we had been using - an earlie BFP would have been very bad for logistical reasons.

I really don't like fish very much tho I'd eat cod in batter from the chippie lol!

Must look into getting more of that kind of stuff into my diet

Umm does a balanced diet consist of crisps in one hand, chocolate in the other? because if it does, I've got it covered grin I'm not THAT bad really I promise.

I did ask my local pharmacist if there were any pregnancy multi vitamins without iron in but he said no so I'm not sure what else to take apart from the vitamin D but I can't take anything with iron in or it makes me ill.

And no Fairy, from my albeit very limited experience, NOTHING pregnancy related is ever simple! I still feel like I haven't got the hang of it and I hate doing research on things, which is why I ask the lovely ladies here instead!

Oh Bear, if it's any help, Boots do a just plain old vitamin D nothing else added one because that's where I got mine from.

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 13:19:06

The Pregnacare vits didn't agree with me so I'm taking Seven Seas pregnancy multivits which are a lot better and don't make my wee glow in the dark. My MW told me I don't need anything other than Vit D now but I'm worried about my diet being a bit lacking in some areas so I feel better taking a multivit.

I'm not a fish fan either so I'm adding milled flax seed to meals and cereals in order to get enough Omega 3.

Janey I might not have much choice about CS if this little monkey doesn't get out of the breech position. confused

HazleNutt Tue 26-Feb-13 13:40:12

My baby is transverse, which probably explains why some other people have neat bumps, while I'm just wide all over. They still have plenty of time to turn though.

I was breech apparently, my Mum trecked all the way to the hospital in snow and ice on public transport when she was massively pregnant to have me manually turned by a consultant, stood at the bus stop to go home and felt me flip straight back over! I think I must have turned around again at some point though because she didn't have a CS?.
I'm just hoping that it doesn't run in the family like someone suggested although nobody said anything about the position of the baby at my scan so I assume it's the right way up (or down even!) They did comment on how it/she? wouldn't sit still though.
Seems like pregnacare doesn't agree with anyone that I've heard talking about it, makes you wonder how they sell so many.

janey1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 14:07:16

rache is it you that is our resident which? expert? If so, have you looked at what they think about baby monitors?
I'm beginning to wonder if due to being paranoid one of those which monitors movement might be nice to have? That way I would be able to tell from the other end of the house he/she is still breathing/moving? Otherwise I suspect I'll be checking every 5 mins (although I might do that anyway).

Ooh yes, I'd be interested in baby monitors too, some snotty woman at work had a go at me because of the imaginary pending loft conversion as eventually, one day (according to my optimistic OH though I'm still not convinced) we will be sleeping upstairs in the attic and the baby will be in one of the rooms below.

Obviously we will have the baby in with us at first but apparently that's not good enough and she would never CONTEMPLATE sleeping on a different floor to her children, what if there's a FIRE? (and all our super doooper smoke alarms that go off when you breathe too hard fail presumably and does this mean when she puts the children to bed in the evening she stays upstairs instead of going back down and watching tv because she can't risk being on another floor to them?). Sorry, she was really rude, I obviously haven't quite got over it yet but I think I shall need to invest in a good baby monitor just in case she is right and I am a horrible person and bad mother after all!
Poor Rach is going to wish she'd never mentioned that Which? membership!

HazleNutt Tue 26-Feb-13 15:30:12

Oh the "You neglectful mother, how could you even think about..I would never! What if there is a.." brigade.

According to parenting threads on MN, we'd better get used to that (and do whatever we want anyway).

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 15:32:21

Purple it says mine is breech presentation on my 20 week scan notes so it might do on yours?

I was breech and my Mum didn't have a CS either. It apparently has to do with the position of the cord, expected size of the baby, size of the mother's pelvis, etc. before they'll let you try a VB when breech. I ended up coming arse first down the birth canal though and my Mum had to have about a million stitches no wonder she hardly speaks to me now.

I'm not that worried about it at the moment. Like Hazle says, she has plenty of room and time to turn. Fast forward 12 weeks and if she's still breech I might start worrying.

Janey Which? only has 2 baby monitors it considers to be Best Buys, which are the Tommee Tippee Closer to Nature 1082 and the Philips Avent Eco Dect SCD525/00. Both of them score 82% in their tests and are quite reasonably priced at £65. The best scoring video monitor is the Luvion Grand Elite Digital Video, which scores 75% and is £160. They have only reviewed 31 monitors though and none of them have a motion sensor mat. In their 'Features Explained' it says, "On baby monitors with a motion sensor mat (which you place under your baby) green lights flash and a tick is heard every time your baby moves. If your baby stops moving for more than 20 seconds, an alarm sounds and red lights flash. Some parents can find this unnecessarily distressing."

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 15:38:40

Yes Purple, what if a meteor hits your house and the baby is flung into a different town because you couldn't get down the stairs fast enough?... some people are ridiculous and I believe the term Fuck Off was specifically coined for people like her. grin

Ah yes, now you mention it my Mother had about a gazillion stitches too so maybe I did arrive backwards. She swears being stitched up was the worst bit and she had a quite difficult birth (which she likes to tell me about a lot of course)

I haven't got any scan notes though, I feel like I'm missing out!

But yes, I think you're all right about the stupid comments brigade, I'm getting plenty of practice at my 'what the fuck?' face! I've got a friend who manages to say just the world 'really' in the most passive agressive and slightly sarcastic tone I've ever heard, it's a thing of wonder, I'm going to get her to teach me grin

Sorry, the 'if your baby doesn't move for 20 seconds' comment has just taken a few moments to sink in, 20 seconds! That's BONKERS!

janey1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 16:38:51

purple - hazle is right, tell her to F off. And my scan notes were put in my blue folder I have to take to every appt - they didn't talk them through but obv I've read them, as the obsessed mum to be I am. Baby Janey is currently breech too, and has longer legs than average (no shock with me as a mum) and a bigger head than average (all my family have massive heads - hence DSIL had emcs with first and elcs with second. Also part of my elcs ponderings). Did they slip yours into your folder without you noticing?

rache thanks so much for baby monitor info. I think the senor mat is supposed to pick up breathing (which is detected as movement as they're super sensitive) hence it goes off if they don't pick it up for 20 seconds. Argh, what to do....

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 16:50:57

They didn't write notes in my actual notes IYSWIM. They put a printout with all the measurements on at the back of my folder next to the 12 week scan NT measurement.

The baby monitor is on the back burner for me as I really haven't a clue what sort to get. I might not even get one until after the birth as I don't anticipate DD being out of my sight until she's at least 18. grin

janey1234 Tue 26-Feb-13 16:54:23

That's all I had too - there was some text in with mine too, eg "placenta high posterior" etc...

Ah I see, thanks, well I'll have a look through and see if they've hidden anything in my notes then although now I have blue folder envy as I don't have one of those either.
I see what you mean now about the breathing being classed as 'movement' sorry, clearly being dense, I just had visions of alarm bells going every time the poor little thing stopped wriggling! Personally I think you'd give yourself a heart attack every time it went off, which no doubt would be frequently and possibly on purpose because the baby was messing with your head wink

I really should have got more work done at work today, I hold you all personally responsible for distracting me with talk of babies. Oh well, I'll make up for it by working late as I'm off now to talk about babies in a professional capacity at a parents to be class. It's a lot less interesting talking about tax credits though!

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 17:19:19

Ah yes that reminds me, my 'Birth and Beyond' classes start tomorrow morning and I'm not sure what to expect.

Purple seeing as you seem to go to these classes through work, do you think it's all relevant stuff? I know they have to cover all bases but there is no point in anybody talking to me about tax credits or child benefit as I already know we won't get either.

I need someone talking to me about breast feeding and breathing techniques etc. and how to get a baby to sleep so I can have some.

Oh well, at least my boss is forced to give me time off for it so I can just sit and enjoy a biscuit and a brew even if it's just stuff I know already.

Somebody posted this and it made me think of you guys...
For when you get near your due date and everyone starts hassling you for news: haveyouhadthatbabyyet.com/

They cover different stuff each week Rach, obviously I only go to the week I'm talking at but other weeks at ours the midwife goes and talks about pain relief, breast feeding and other stuff (not sure exactly what as I'm not there) so would have thought at least some of it would be relevant/of interest to you? They also have other professionals like speech and language therapists and health visitors who give talks at ours but the children's centre classes focus mostly on the midwife and the other bits are only a small part of it. I talk for 20 mins or less and cover maternity and paternity rights, childcare, tax credits and more in that time so even the bits you're not interested in shouldn't take up too much of your time!

Rache1S Tue 26-Feb-13 23:41:24

That's genius Merkin. I will definitely direct nosey inquisitive people to that in the final weeks. grin

They're not taking up my time Purple, it's work's time so they can fire away about whatever they want! smile I've found out my mate is booked onto the same classes so we will probably just sit at the back talking like being back at school. grin

Good news on the breech front. My Sis is 35 weeks and her baby has been either breech or transverse all the way through so far but at today's appointment he is head down 4/5 engaged and all ready to go so there is hope. grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.