Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:46:27

Ha, our old elderberries thread. Just joking about having been evicted from it! x

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 12:54:42

Ah got it janey. silly me

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 14:24:30

About a totally different topic - any idea when UK shops usually get their summer clothes in? I need some maternity shorts and skirts for my holidays, but there's almost nothing available at the moment - would need to know if I should buy what I can find or just wait a week or so.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 14:31:03

Can't recall. Maybe April?

Saw some interesting cots here btw. Anyone consider a bedside cot?

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 14:40:27

Hm that's way too late, I was hoping that they would get something after the January sales..

As for cots - I do like the ida of those co-sleeper cots so you don't ahve to get up all the way every time, but we have a relly low bed, one of those Japanese futon style, so a normal cot would be too high. I think might go for moses basket initially and then a friend recommended to get a travel cot for bedside sleeping. And a proper cot only when the baby is ready to go to its own room.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 14:48:05

Don't take my word for it!! I actually can't recall. Maybe ring a few shops?

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:32:16

Now I'm not saying they're lovely, but I just googled maternity shorts and got these

In terms of cots, I'm thinking one of those co sleepers that doubles as a travel cot sounds like a very good idea for the first few months...

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:33:44

Oh and zombies, my friend who's 24 weeks with her second is getting this one. It's not the prettiest but apparently the other, prettier ones are very small so might only last a very limited time. Also that's one that doubles as a travel cot, so the one I was considering...

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 15:37:48

janey thought this sounded like a good deal. rental option

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 15:41:16
janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 15:46:13

Ooh that IS a good idea... To buy it new is £249 and I don't think that includes the mattress which is another £50 or something. And it is the nicest looking one... Good find! smile

Rache1S Thu 10-Jan-13 18:21:52

I was really proud of myself having pretty much made my mind up about a pram but now you've made my head spin thinking about cots, which I have put zero thought into so far!
I am going to use the bassinet from my pushchair as a moses basket as I want as little baby-related clutter as possible, but I haven't even thought about a cot in our bedroom. I suppose I thought the bassinet would do for that as well. I love the idea of co-sleeping but it also scares me as I have more than one friend who, having co-slept from birth, are now stuck with toddlers in their bed who refuse point blank to sleep on their own.

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 19:57:18

Yes but I think the theory of those co sleepers is...

You have Moses basket. Start off with good intentions. Baby doesn't sleep. You're getting up and down all night feeding. You're bloody knackered. End up falling asleep with baby in your bed as you're so desperate for sleep. And it becomes routine. Baby used to falling asleep surrounded by people and touching them.

Co sleepers. Baby wakes. You reach across to feed it, don't wake up as fully as you don't have to get up/ sit up / walk. When baby finishes you roll it back across to it's own part if bed, and put the barrier, and go to sleep. Baby in own bed. You next to it but not touching. Baby used to not sleeping on or touching people. Baby used to own bed. Voila!

Or, that's the theory anyway... hmm

Wow I'm impressed that you've all put this much thought into these things already, impressed and ever so slightly worried!

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 21:12:37

Ha I haven't put any thought into anything like this! One of my best friends is pregnant with her second and is planning on getting one, learning from her mistakes with her first, and told me about it...blush

Rache1S Thu 10-Jan-13 21:17:02

Purple we only started TTC in September, but I knew for a good year beforehand that this is when we would start so I have had a lot of time to think and envy everyone else with their babies.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Fri 11-Jan-13 08:17:16

hazle gap's spring collection is out. I just got an email smile

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 08:25:12

Hazle have you thought about just buying normal non-maternity summer dresses instead of shorts? The ones I've got generally aren't very fitted and would accommodate a bit of extra girth. Admittedly they might also be a bit thin on the ground at this time of year though. I also quite like www.mothercare.com/Blooming-Marvellous-Denim-Maternity-Skirt/LY5269,default,pd.html?singlehit=true which might be good for summer wear as well as with tights?

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 08:29:18

Oh excellent, thanks - for some reason Gap (at least the EU version that I can access) has decided that pregnant women don't need shorts or skirts for summer hmm but that must mean that others will bring the summer stuff out soon too.

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 08:31:01

rach thanks, I actually have plenty of dresses and yes, most of them will still fit fine. Just want a few pairs of summer trousers and shorts as well, in case we're doing some activities where dresses are not too practical.

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 08:41:31

I don't know what your thoughts are on second hand but there seem to be quite a few on eBay?

A lovely but slightly hippy friend of mine has given me a pair of maternity denim dungarees, which really aren't me at all. I think I'm going to have to wear them at least once so as not to offend her. DH thinks this is hilarious grin

HazleNutt Fri 11-Jan-13 09:10:34

grin denim dungarees are just one step from big flowery tents.
you know, like those:
www.importcostumes.com/i/360x360/IC00279.jpg

No problems with second hand, will take a look. Or alternatively if I can't find anything in Europe, will ask my sister to bring me something from the States.

janey1234 Fri 11-Jan-13 09:30:53

Dungarees rache? I'm sorry, but that is hilarious. For us, anyway. But yes, you will have to wear them at least once. Can you post a picture? grin

Rache1S Fri 11-Jan-13 09:48:13

I quite like that Hazle. It will take pride of place in my maternity wardrobe grin

For your entertainment I will post a picture of the ONE occasion that I am forced to wear them hmm They look like they should have a hoop around the middle like clown trousers. I will be gutted when they fit me!

Rach, theoretically I've had a long time to think about all this stuff too, but clearly I haven't! My watch words are 'we've got ages' and 'it will be ok' I'm sure in a matter if weeks I'll go from saying these calmly and rationally to chanting them hysterically to myself grin
My OH keeps telling me I should buy dungarees too, I have no idea why and its NOT going to happen. I forgive him his appaling fashion sense though as I'm lying in bed ill and he just popped home with a double sausage and egg mc muffin and a hot chocolate for me as a surprise. I KNEW there was a reason I agreed to marry this man grin

This thread is not accepting new messages.