Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

janey1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 14:18:57

Boring old day in the office for me. No police. Although we have had them in the past, when some protesters have stormed the building (has happened a couple of times) - guess that's what comes of sharing offices with the daily mail. Oooh, although we were stormed by a flashmob a few weeks ago - loads of men who took their tops off. Odd whilst you're trying to get on with your work in spreadsheets...

Am RAGING though, totally furious. Been turned down for my mortgage based on my credit score?!

I'm asking for a 41% LTV total mortgage (thanks to buying when v young and overpaying mortgage for a while) so NO RISK to the bank. I have an 'excellent' credit score according to experian with no issues on my history. The bank agree it's well within affordability limits. Yet they have said no. I am furious. This sounds arrogant but how is ANYONE supposed to borrow any money when they're turning down bloody safe bets like this?! Argh, so frustrating sad

HazleNutt Thu 07-Feb-13 14:23:08

Oh so sorry janey and certainly sounds unfair.

janey1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 14:32:45

My Dad used to run mortgages for a significant national high street bank, and he cannot understand the decision at all. He said that even for a notoriously cautious lender, like HSBC, this is an exceptionally safe loan; they won't get many better. He's suggested I write to the chief exec questioning it, and I bloody well will do!!

Grrrr. All in all though it means we're slowly running out of time to do it before the baby....

HazleNutt Thu 07-Feb-13 14:36:49

Can you go to another bank or too much hassle? We were getting a mortgage for an investment property a couple of months ago and it was amazing how much the requirements differ - one bank was just the most picky bunch, asking for stamped and original bank records instead of copies (because we photoshopped them or what?) and great-grandma's death certificates etc. We told them to go to hell - others were fine to accept us with pretty much no questions asked.

BraveLilBear Thu 07-Feb-13 15:19:02

Janey did it ever come up that you were pregnant? It's totally illegal, but I have heard of people getting loans refused because they were pregnant and the lender 'wasn't convinced she was going to go back to work after giving birth'. I saw Martin Lewis talk about it on his website one time.

Have you asked them for the exact reasons why? Also, could be DP/DH credit score issue?

Totally ridiculous though.

Oh no! Janey, the bastards! Would another bank lend you the money instead?
Our attic conversion still only exists in the fevered imagination of my OH at the moment and he's STILL trying to convince me that it will all be done in time with just him working on it at the weekends. At least if you're getting proper builders to do it it will get done faster so this delay wont necessarily mean it can't be done in time.

janey1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:00:15

I could go to another bank, BUT I don't really want to move - the bulk of my mortgage is on 0.74% above base rate, which suits me very well! And DP not relevant - the property/existing mortgage is all in my name and the application is in my name.

I've had another long discussion with them, and sent them my full experian (clean) report so will wait and see what they say. So frustrating. I think HSBC are renowned for being picky but this is beyond ridiculous!! The problem may lie with some accounts not being branded as 'satisfactory' as they are dormant - I owe no money, I spend no money, I pay them no money - so they can't say I'm handling the credit with satisfactorily. It's a joke.

Letter to CEO of HSBC part drafted, and will be sent tomorrow if need be....!! I love a battle like this!

Rache1S Thu 07-Feb-13 18:23:22

That's totally shit Janey, I really hope you manage to get it sorted. It sounds like a total no-brainer to me but who the hell knows how these banks work? I re-mortgaged to HSBC last year at 60% LTV, all in my name alone and had no trouble at all confused

Thank goodness today is over! I would love a large glass of wine right about now..... but will have to make to with Aqua-natal with 30 or so other fatties hmm

BelissimaLol Thu 07-Feb-13 19:01:33

Brave we do a team meeting every morning so I had all of them gathered around me and told them I'll be leaving in the summer. Some said oh no where are you going?! And I said on mat leave grin
Janey I work for a big bank (not HSBC) and as far as I know the fact that you are pg can be reason to decline it as you will not have the same income as now and therefore might not be able to afford it- however they have to tell you if this is reason for decline. Have you got a copy of credit report? Your other option (which is a tad more expensive but at least you keep your mtg) rate is to take out a secured loan as a second charge on the property for the extra amount you need. That is more easily agreed than a mortgage.
Sorry for the financial lesson- pm me if you want help although you seem pretty clued upgrin
I've had a better Thursday than last week's when I had to sack a member of staff and suspend another. So I'm looking on the bright side!

janey1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 20:36:39

Not at all lol, thank you for your help! Yeah my dad said I could go to a different lender but that it would cost me. Not sure if I'm that bothered about the loft conversion tbh! Plus has somehow become a point of principle now. I'm like a dog with a bone over battles like this!

I think HSBC are notoriously cautious. Fair enough, but I'm hardly that much of a risk. They've said maternity leave isn't an issue too. My employers have supplied a letter confirming my job is secure, and my maternity pay, which combined with my savings they should be able to see is enough to get me through the 12 months, even without DP.

Anyway enough of this crap. How are all you pg ladies feeling? I've been feeling distinctly un-pregnant these last few days, I think because work has been so busy I haven't been able to obsess think about it much...

I feel pregnant enough for the both of us Janey! I was thinking today though, as much as we're all worriers, in some ways pregnancy has surely made us worry less.
We've felt sick for weeks on end, had stomach cramps, bleeding from virtually every orifice, had headaches that last for weeks, heart palpitations, colds that last two months, back ache, painful hips...at any other time in my life if I had just one or two of these symptoms let alone all of them I'd have thought I was dying! Now i swear if someone told me i was growing a second head id causally shrug and say 'oh its probably a pregnancy thing' And we're doing all of this without drugs or wine, pregnancy clearly makes you tough and we should celebrate. Fanta anyone? grin

Ahem, just to clarify, when I said 'without drugs' I was referring to the ineffectiveness of paracetamol against my back/hip pain, not missing some crack habit I had to give up for pregnancy reasons, just in case you were raising eyebrows!

Rache1S Thu 07-Feb-13 20:59:51

I was feeling a bit crap and knackered to be honest until I just had a quick stalk of our old thread and Gail has cheered me right up. Hilarious! I am still laughing now!

janey1234 Thu 07-Feb-13 21:03:34

Me too. She's fucking brilliant. Desperate for her to get knocked up and come and join us.

Currently trying to find naked in Blackpool on you tube!

Rache1S Fri 08-Feb-13 09:29:23

Morning all!

I'm not feeling too clever again after night #2 of cone-head dog crashing around all night. At 4am DH was downstairs scratching his ears for him. You are right Hazle, I think he is helping us out with our pre-baby sleep deprivation training. hmm

A different woman took our Aqua-natal class last night and it was much more vigorous than normal. I am aching today!

HazleNutt Fri 08-Feb-13 09:36:43

Oh i know Rach. Our puppies, when they were I think 5-6 months, so quite large already, both got diarrhea from worm medicine. So not only did they whine and want to go out at 2, 3, 4.30 and 5AM, there were still pretty much daily accidents. No tiny baby diaper will scare me now! grin
DH taking the dogs to his parents for our holidays, I miss them already!

I think the baby must have a growth spurt, as I'm actually a little nauseous.

BraveLilBear Fri 08-Feb-13 11:23:12

That just made me smile Purple - and I can claim that I did actually grow a second head (or third, if you count baby bear!). Although the good news is the whole 'second head' issue was officially underlined this week - I am healed! Hurrah! No more exposing my backside to strangers for, ooh, at least 6 months (if I'm lucky) grin

Also not feeling massively pregnant atm but again, crazy busy at work so maybe that's why. I think I'm starting to feel the odd movement... like someone flicking me from the inside...

Had a huge shock last night though - and I know this is absolutely ridiculous as I should be expecting it but still... - took my clothes off to jump in the shower and all of a sudden I have got fat hips. shock

Totally freaked me out. Not fat legs, not fat bum, but bam out of nowhere, loads of fat round the back of my hips. I've put on about a pound this week and my fingers are still skinny so it must be all on the back of my fat hips!

It is honestly the weirdest thing I've ever seen. OH was nice about and said he couldn't notice it but I was really really shocked. Fat hips people! Not wider, just with fat!

Rache1S Sun 10-Feb-13 09:53:11

Morning ladies!

Right, we've done it! After 16 weeks of saying that we probably should start the decorating so it's done before baby arrives we have finally been arsed to lift a brush. <proud>

Brave I wish fat hips weren't my problem in normal non-pregnant life let alone with a baby on board. We may have to widen all the door frames in our house soon. hmm Good news on your all-clear. May I raise a (alcohol-free) wine to you not having to expose your undercarriage to strangers for a good few months. grin

20 week scan is tomorrow afternoon. I am starting to get the fear!

janey1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 10:08:39

Impressive Rache! I'm currently getting depressed about the start of our house. We started decorating the hall in October, but then I got pregnant and we put it on hold due to the loft conversion, and then we were abroad for all of Dec... So the hall is still a tip, with carpet cut away from the walls and gripper rods exposed etc. It's just beginning to get me down. Anyway, the good news is that at 5.15pm on Friday I got a call from the bank, and they have FINALLY given my mortgage the OK to go ahead. Hoorah. So we're going to choose the builders and sign contracts this week. The plan is to have all the building finished by mid May, leaving us a few weeks to decorate the hall, landings, and two new rooms. Not much time at all! Hey ho.

Oh, and did you see all Gail's hilarious comments have been deleted, and she's been banned from Mumsnet AGAIN?! I feel awful for her. She's hilarious and yes, sometimes slightly shocking, but a brilliant laugh and clearly in need of some support from others in a similar situation. Am gutted for her.

BraveLilBear Mon 11-Feb-13 10:32:23

Yay for to bank finally seeing sense Janey I hope they apologised to you. How exciting that it's all getting the go-ahead too smile

Congrats to brush up-picking Rache - and huge paint swathes of luck for your scan this afternoon. Will be thinking of you!

Following my fat hips discovery, my thighs and tummy have decided to join in. Was driving to meet up with my folks on Saturday and could feel my tummy wobbling when ever I hit a bump in the road! Yes, I was busting for the loo and my jeans were too tight <good excuse, right?> but wowsers that was a shock

Think I am actually going to have to get some new clothes by the end of this week. It's all a bit sudden! In other news, pretty sure I am feeling Baby Bear move every now again. Feel it a couple of times a day, very softly, but definitely not wind or general gurgling. Quite exciting really smile

HazleNutt Mon 11-Feb-13 11:28:12

Congrats Janey and fx for the scan Rach, but considering you already had one, there probably won't be any surprises. Will you get your money back for the private scan though if it's a boy? grin

Hi from Puerto Rico! Have to say I'm not not too crazy about the place, it's kind of shabby and does not have the charm of Asian countries. And the amounts of junkfood! It's all over! The whole landscape is covered by Burger King and Wendy's signs and very difficult to find something decent to eat.

But nature and beaches are actually quite nice. The sun is dangerous though, I know better not to roast myself, but was sitting in the shade only and still pinkish.

BraveLilBear Mon 11-Feb-13 11:52:41

Oooh! Hola Hazle! Hope you're having a fab time! Good luck with the healthy food/not roasting plight but glad to hear it's an otherwise stunning place. Will this be your last pre-baby holiday?

janey1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 12:02:32

Oh hazle, am overcome with jealousy - snowing nonstop here, even in central london!!
Have an AMAZING time smile

And good luck this afternoon Rache x

Rache1S Mon 11-Feb-13 13:24:27

Leaving shortly for the scan and still surprisingly nervous considering we had one just 3 weeks ago and I have been feeling lots of kicking. I think I will laugh if they say it's a boy! grin

Great news on the mortgage Janey, and Hazle I would much rather be sitting under a shade on a Caribbean beach rather than freezing my butt off here. envy

Rache1S Mon 11-Feb-13 14:48:36

All was fine at the scan and the NHS agree it's a girl. A relief on both counts!

It's still early days but she is currently in a breech position. confused

We had a trainee performing the scan while the Sonographer oversaw/talked her through everything, which was nice as we got to hear about everything they were checking for and the reasons why. My friend who is due 12 days before me said her scan was completely silent and the Sonographer had such a miserable face she was convinced there was a major problem.

Janey I am gutted about Viv/Gail. I do hope they let her back on. Freedom of speech is one of the few great things about living in the UK unless you want to participate in a parenting forum in which case you have to be PC at all times.

This thread is not accepting new messages.