Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Mon 04-Feb-13 23:45:48

All you guys are so far ahead! smile jealous. Should have my 12 week some time in the next three weeks. Called the midwife and they have again faxed over details to the hospital today.

HazleNutt Tue 05-Feb-13 08:26:16

Zombies, the time after 12 week scan will go a bit faster and you'll be complaining with us about being fat and bloated in no time.grin

janey1234 Tue 05-Feb-13 08:33:56

Hazle is right zombies, it's amazing how we've all gone from being worried sick to plain old moaning (with lots of worrying too).

BelissimaLol Tue 05-Feb-13 09:59:33

Rache new look have a t shirt that says #handsoffthebumb
I bought one. There are loads of different ones. I can't stand the thought of people touching it.
My mil who I generally love is doing my head in telling me what to do when baby comes. I'm stubborn at the best of times so this is not going down well.
My mum is also annoying me (or is it my hormones? Mmm). She is thousands of miles away which I know makes it hard for her and asked me when I want her to come over... Only to ignore my answer and decide to come and stay as long as she wants.
Sorry rant over.
On a positive note in wearing my maternity skirt uniform an it's lovely!

janey1234 Tue 05-Feb-13 10:14:14

Oh, I think it's a nightmare about things like that, completely understand. I'm determined to involve my DP's Mum as much as possible, and my own of course, but having said that I really do want time just DP and I. But I don't want to do it if it upsets the folks. But I think time just the three of us will be essential. I'm not sure how much help we will need, but I'd rather wait until the time and ask, than for it to be there whether we want/need it or not. I'm kind of thinking that maybe I'll ask for it after the first two weeks, when DP goes back to work. If we need it sooner all we need do is call...

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Feb-13 10:16:38

Yay to lovely mat uniform Lol! And rant away re mothers. Mine keeps being challenging too - one minute pouring scorn on decision to give baby dad's surname, the next offering to buy a nice new pushchair/pram. Can't work her out...

And Zombies you'll be catching us up in no time... plus, hopefully we'll have some newbs joining so you can join us experts in being the font of all knowledge wink

Will defo be getting myself a hands off t-shirt. I can't tell you how much the idea of randoms touching me freaks me out. Especially my tummy!

On another note, they're setting up a turn-up-and-play netball thing at my work once a week. Not played netball since, well primary school - I switched to basketball at secondary and even continued into adulthood - but I really fancy it. Was very up for it pre-pg, and feel a lot more alive now that I've mainly stopped vomming [apart from this morning, natch] and currently walk 2-4 miles a day, fairly briskly.

The benefit is it's non-contact and I think will be pretty low level stuff ie not too competitive to start with and the way I see it, if I get tired out I can slow down or switch to GK. But technically, it's a 'new activity'. I know I can't continue forever, but would be nice to go for a few weeks and meet some new folks.

What's the verdict? Good idea or idiocy?

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Feb-13 10:19:06

X-post Janey but I'm thinking along the same lines too - about letting my folks come and stay (if they even offer lol!) after OH goes back to work, which is when I reckon I'll need most help. I daresay we'll have to allow short visits before then, but want to keep it as minimal as possible.

Don't worry Zombies, after the 12 week scan time stops moving quite so slowly and before you know it, you'll be fat and suffering from horrendous backache too! grin

HazleNutt Tue 05-Feb-13 11:04:57

Oh yes, the grandparents..

Ideally I would tell everybody to give us time and stay away for a few feeks. My parents live in Estonia and have a trip to US planned for around my due date, so that shouldn't be an issue. Of course if I decide that I would need help, I'm sure mum would be right over, but I think between DH and me, we should be able to manage.

PILs are a different story. They live just 150 km away, but are elderly and not confident drivers, so they would not come for just a short visit. They're nice, but you know the kind of people who make tons of extra work for you because they're trying to help? Yes, that's MIL. So I definitely, abolutely don't want them staying over when we have a newborn and very little clue what we are doing. So the current plan is that as the hospitals in France usually keep you there for a couple of days, they could come to hospital, that's a bit closer to their place anyway, and then leave us alone for a while. Fingers crossed..

HazleNutt Tue 05-Feb-13 11:07:09

Brave, netball is similar to basketball, yes? I wouldn't worry so much about being a new activity - as you say, it's not that intensive. What about risk of falls though?

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Feb-13 11:38:39

It is pretty similar, just less contact and bouncing (hence why I never liked it as a kid, lol). Not played basketball for a few years either, have 'just' been a runner and orienteerer etc.

Risk of falls would be an issue eventually - but I currently have no bump so would not be exposed to bouncing on baby's head for a while. Tbh it may be that I can't hack it - my mum told me the other day that when she was pg with me, she used to play badminton - but she had to stop because she could feel me bouncing around inside!

So who knows...!

I hoping I'm going to be really lucky with the parents/ILs thing as both my Mum and my ILs live very close to us so it's not like they would ever need to come and stay (phew!) and neither of them ever come and visit us really we always go to them, long may this continue I say as then it's on my terms! (as lovely as they all are)

BelissimaLol Tue 05-Feb-13 17:48:48

Just had my combined test results and am sooooo relieved! Age related results would be 1/150 (as I'm 39!) and my individual one came at 1/37000!!!!!!! That was pretty nerve racking. Now on to find something else to worry about. What shall I pick?

BraveLilBear Tue 05-Feb-13 17:53:35

Good news Lol now for worry... how about... what to watch on telly tonight? wink

Rache1S Tue 05-Feb-13 18:57:55

Evenin' all!

Good results Lol. They certainly are good odds grin

Zombies enjoy your lovely flat stomach while you still can. It will soon be a distant memory. I have been in a conference today where I know most of the people there but not well enough for them to know I am pregnant or for me to make a point of telling them. Bump is getting there but still not obviously a baby so I suspect they all just thought I have let myself go a bit. hmm

DH's family live an hour away so short enough to commute in a day but far enough away not to be round all the time, but they are lovely and I very much doubt they'd ever impose themselves on us. Both of my (divorced) parents are local but I don't think they'll cause us any issues. I'm very close to my wonderful Dad and he understands that we'll enjoy some space after having a baby as he's already mentioned it.
I only see my Mum a couple of times a year. She doesn't take much interest in me and my life. I phoned to tell her I was pregnant and haven't heard from her since. She had no idea how many weeks I am, when the due date is, how scans have gone and doesn't know it's a girl. She's the same with my Sister. Goodness knows why she ever had kids.

Brave I think the netball sounds like a great idea. You don't have to carry on if you find it's too much but it's worth giving it a go to find out.

HazleNutt Tue 05-Feb-13 19:45:57

Now you got me worried with all your test results, mine was only 1:1400. It's low, but I wonder if my bloods must have been really crap then..

Sorry about your mother, Rach. Good your dad is supportive, of course.

Rache1S Tue 05-Feb-13 20:03:32

Hazle 1:1400 is very low odds and much lower than the average for women our age. Everything will be fine smile

No worries about my Mum. It's not awkward or anything as she's always been the same so it's just a 'normal' part of my life. It does however make me super determined to have the best possible relationship with my new daughter.
And my Dad is absolutely ace and gives me two parents worth of love and support grin

My Dad sounds like your Mum Rach, haven't seen him in years, haven't spoken on the phone in years, we swap emails a couple of times a year and send birthday and Christmas cards. He's claiming to be excited at the prospect of being a grandfather which is odd given how little interest he's had in my life over the years. Doesn't bother me mind, Mum always taught me that you only need one person to love you, that's enough and any more is just lucky and lord knows she's excited enough about this baby to make up for the whole heaps of other family I don't have!

Oh and congrats on your exciting/ relieving news lol. You'll be fretting about whether your bump is big enough next grin
Two people have found out I'm pregnant today, they hadn't noticed apparently even though I really look obviously pregnant now, one girl was joking and said 'ha, you're not pregnant are you?' Because I kept bumping into her in the ladies (some days it feels like I'm in there as much as I'm at my desk) I just pointed to my stomach and said 'Err hello, have you looked at me?' And she did a double take and said bloody hell, I hadn't noticed! It was pretty funny.

BelissimaLol Tue 05-Feb-13 21:20:33

I'm already fretting about bump! I just feel fat. I'm also strangely shy about telling certain people I'm pregnant. And don't want my colleague managers to know as they will all start wanting my job you can see I'm not friends with them so at the moment I've not even told everyone in my team. Might do it this week.
I think any results better than the age average is good tbh. 1/1400 is awesome. I would have been happy with anything over 500 I think.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Wed 06-Feb-13 02:16:30

Something very interesting- sleeping on the right or on the back linked to higher stillbirth rates.
Not scare mongering but in the spirit of informed decisions!

Rache1S Wed 06-Feb-13 08:47:54

I go to sleep on my left but my sleeping body has other ideas and I wake up constantly on my back. Even wedging myself in so I supposedly can't roll over doesn't seem to be working sad I think the risk is still minute though.

janey1234 Wed 06-Feb-13 08:50:20

I naturally sleep on my right - argh. Although did that survey say it was just for the night before birth? In which case, we don't need to worry yet!

HazleNutt Wed 06-Feb-13 09:07:55

I always wake up on my back too and true, the study is just about the night before birth. So I've decided not to worry about it.

Just googled what to do in Puerto Rico, and looks like I have to dedicate at least one day to shopping - they have massive malls, outlets, a dozen TJ Maxx shops etc. Excellent! 3 more days to go..

BraveLilBear Wed 06-Feb-13 09:21:28

Morning all...

I usually sleep on my left but lately have been really enjoying sleeping on my back, with my hands on my invisibump. Weird. But then I'm wiggling around like a newborn at night, feels like I'm constantly changing position or I get comfy and OH changes position then I have to change again. [rolls eyes]

Least I have a choice for now! Apparently back sleeping makes you go funny after a certain point cos the vena cava gets cut off and that will make you wake up.

Also, am similarly weird about telling colleagues and acquaintances. My bosses know, and my immediate colleague knows as does a work friend. But I've not told anyone else yet. Just feel weird about being the centre of gossip... Feel like telling one or two, but I rarely get to see them away from anyone else.

I have time on my side as still very flat and contained (apparently my stomach muscles were much more awesome than I had given them credit for and my cursed long waist is finally proving to be a blessing!) but still...

This thread is not accepting new messages.