Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Graduated elderberries

(1000 Posts)
janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:24:59

Hello all..,
Let's clog up a brand spanking new club over here smile

(By hello all, I guess I mean hello hazle. Hopefully the others will join us soon...)

HazleNutt Wed 09-Jan-13 13:23:28

rach you were concerned about cs and interventions, right? I was just looking up some info regarding exercising and:

Research has shown that during labour, women who have done cardiovascular and weightbearing exercise during pregnancy:
- have a 35 percent decrease in the need for pain relief,
- have 75% decrease in the incidence of maternal exhaustion,
- have 50% decrease in the need to artificially break waters,
- are 50% less likely to be induced and need intervention in labour(less cases of fetal heart abnormalities,)
- have 55% decrease in the need for episiotomy and
-have 75% decrease in the need for forceps and caesarean sections.

Not bad. Ok, I'm sure some of the difference is down to fact that if you are allowed and able to exercise, you're generally healthier in the first place, but agreed to teach some extra classes, just in case smile

Rache1S Wed 09-Jan-13 14:04:27

Wow, that certainly us an impressive list! I have already signed up to aqua-natal and am probably going to start bumpercise as well. I have also been recommended pregnancy yoga and perineal massage by a friend who says it really helped with the birth but I haven't found a local class yet. I am also doing lots of dog walking.
A better birth is a massive incentive but I also want to do all I can to stave off becoming a whale! grin

janey1234 Wed 09-Jan-13 14:10:24

Impressive stats hazle! I bought two pregnancy exercise DVD's yesterday; once they've arrived and I've tried them out I'll let you know what I make of them!

HazleNutt Wed 09-Jan-13 14:27:47

I guess I should get some special pregnancy DVDs at some point as well, but currently just doing my usual classes, will see how long I'll manage. I know instructors who were teaching Bodypump until the week before giving birth!

Am concerned about going to the beach even now, Greenpeace will probably come and help me back in the water..

BelissimaLol Wed 09-Jan-13 15:49:07

Personally I would not change jobs at this stage. For me it would be too much uncertainty at a time when work comes second. I value my career immensely and will continue to work on it after baby but am happy to take it slow in the meantime.
I'm 10 weeks today. Having nightmares about mmc hmm
I went back to Zumba this week and will go back to ballroom dancing after the scan. This is what I have always done. For the moment I'm not planning anything new.

Rache1S Wed 09-Jan-13 18:56:28

I think if you were already exercising before getting upduffed then it's fine and probably much better to carry on as normal as much as you can. My DSS, who is in the Forces, was doing full PT and running 5 miles a day on a treadmill until she was about 7.5 months. It's just that I was particularly lazy between gyms when I got pregnant so that's why I'm joining ante-natal exercise classes. I have been having a few abdominal ligament/muscle issues lately whereby I get pain when I cough, sneeze or even stand up too quickly, so I'm hoping ante-natel classes will account for this (which I've asked Dr Google about and is common in pregnancy,) and will hopefully go a bit easy on my poor old abs!

I've been lent a couple of pregnancy exercise DVDs but haven't gone near them as I've been too ill. That's a whole nother story which may be a bit too long and ranty - I've had something of a day dealing with nhs nonsense.

HazleNutt Wed 09-Jan-13 21:27:56

rant away - pregnancy related illness or general?

Apparently there isn't a bloody difference Hazle!
I've had this nasty seriously snotty horrible cold since before Christmas I feel like hell. Went back to work Monday still feeling grotty by Tuesday night I'm sitting on the floor in the shower crying at the thought of having to drag my carcass to work so this morning I phone in sick for only the third time in 5 years (just to give context cos I'm not a wimp who calls in sick) so I phone the gp. So I phone and phone and get put on hold and eventually get through to a human just as I'm losing the will and say I want an appointment. All the spots for today have gone she says, that's fine I'll have an appt tomorrow. Oh no she says, you'll have to phone back at 8am tomorrow, then we'll get a doctor to phone you back and chat to you then they can decide if they want to invite you to come in to see them. Wtf? Seriously? I try to politely reason but this is a doctors receptionist we're talking about so get nowhere.

Hazle you're going to be sorry you asked, I'm not done!
So I tell OH who goes ape and phones the surgery to find out why they won't let his sick pregnant wife see a doc (he only calls me his wife when he's mad at someone on my behalf, we're not married) don't know what he said but he tells me they're going to phone me back so I guess he made his point.
A nurse eventually rings me, I explain I've been Ill and spent the whole of Christmas lying on the sofa that my nose has finally ceased dripping but that I am so exhausted I can't walk up the stairs without stopping halfway to rest and surely that's not normal after nearly three weeks of cold? She umms and aahs says she can maybe get a gp to ring me back. Why? So he can magically cure me via phone? She goes off to speak to a colleague then decides that since I'm pregnant it must be my mid wife's problem. Midwife only available 9.00 to 9.30 am I leave a message on answer phone as its now gone 10 some assistant phones back and says it sounds like a bad virus and being pregnant but info don't feel better in a couple of days to phone the gp again... ARGH!!!

No wonder the nhs is struggling for money if they're paying highly qualified nurses and doctors to phone patients back e very time they want an appointment. And what if the doctor deems they don't want to 'invite you to an appointment' surely you have a right to see a doctor if you want to?
Sorry I told you i would rant. I've a feeling I might be leaving my new gp surgery before I ever even see a doctor there!
Going to stop shouting now, sorry!

Rache1S Wed 09-Jan-13 23:08:44

Shout away Purple. It sounds like you've been through the mill today and the last 3 weeks sad
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but I think that farce is standard procedure at most GP's these days. It certainly is at mine. I also learned the hard way when I was phoned back and wasn't deemed serious enough to get an appointment the same day. These days I basically over-egg the severity of my symptoms in order to get seen the same day. I don't care what some bloody Triage thinks, if I think I need to be seen the same day then they can jolly well see me! grin I hope you feel better soon.

Bunnygirlie Wed 09-Jan-13 23:19:23

Just popping in to say hi and share a brew. Sorry again if I nudged you lovely ladies out. Hope all is going well with you all and hope some more of us can join this select club soon. x

But surely it's a stupid system rach? i didn't even want a same day appt just to see someone some time this week. Not to worry I'm going to sit on the sofa for a few more days and hope for the best!

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 06:37:50

"decides that since I'm pregnant it must be my mid wife's problem" - but you have a virus! If you break a leg while pregnant, will the midwife deal with that too? And how can they decide over the phone how serious it is - you only get an appointment if you claim to be dying, but if you're more modest and say that oh, just leg has fallen off, no big deal, I have another - then no?
Yes, that is a really stupid system.

Rache1S Thu 10-Jan-13 09:36:56

It is a very stupid system, as are most procedures in the public sector these days.
We would all get seen no problem if waiting rooms weren't full of the work-shy who are only there to get signed off again with their fake bad backs and stress.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 11:00:29

I'm here!! Just found the thread. Will go back and have a nosey through the previous posts....

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 11:07:47

purple that's horrible about your GP surgery. Mine have so far been so good. I was in a similar position-more than a week of flu/ cold, very bad shape. GP called me back on the same day and they then gave me an appointment for that evening (new year's eve!) and sent me for a scan as well the same day as I had had spotting!!
I must be the farthest behind on this thread, only about 6+4 or so. Terrified about Monday because they didn't find a heartbeat on the scan on the 31st (too early?) so asked me to have another scan on Monday. I guess if there's no heartbeat by then it's game over.

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 11:13:48

I wouldn't worry Zombies, 31st scan was just too early for heartbeat if you're only 6 weeks now.

Oh good luck for Monday Zombies! I'm afraid the worrying doesn't seem to stop even when you've had a scan though!

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:04:13

Good luck for Monday zombies! When I had my scan (7+6 I think??) before she even started she told me not to worry yet as sometimes they can be really hard to pick up at that early time...

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:08:12

Oh god, that doesn't even make sense. My brain is mush today!

What I meant was that before she even started, she told me not to worry if she couldn't pick up a heartbeat yet, as they can be really hard to pick up at that early stage.

Argh, feel like I'm going mad this morning! Keep missing whole chunks out of sentences (in work documents too) but thinking they make sense. If I start using the incorrect your/you're I'm going to have to kill myself.

janey1234 Thu 10-Jan-13 12:21:06

AND I just went back to the chat we were evicted from. Argh, I can't help myself, I fear I am a little bit bonkers today.

HazleNutt Thu 10-Jan-13 12:36:15

Must be the weather or something, I don't feel like doing anything. Too bad it's not Friday yet.

ZombiesAreClammyDodgers Thu 10-Jan-13 12:42:12

Thanks guys!
janey what chat were you evicted from?? thick question

This thread is not accepting new messages.