Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

May 2013- boys , girls or the unknown? Over half way there!

(994 Posts)
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:55:09

Hi all, new had for may 2013!

10storeylovesong Thu 14-Feb-13 10:07:27

Just a quick one for those dreading an epidural. I had mine late Sat night in order to remove my placenta. I can honestly say I didn't feel a thing (the steroid injections hurt more!). By 9 Sun morn I was out of bed, showered and sat by Seb's incubator. There were absolutely no problems with it. And I know this is too much info, but after 6 months of being up for the loo 6-7 times a night the catheter was amazing to give me a good nights sleep!

Artigene Thu 14-Feb-13 10:21:02

10 - it's so great to hear about little Seb doing so well. From the little I know it's incredible that he's doing regular stretches of breathing without assistance given he is only 27/28 weeks gestation. I hope they let you stay in hospital with him a little longer.

Aberjen - I'm consultant led and was told there was no need to see a midwife as each appt where I would have seen a mw I saw a doctor instead. I missed the midwives who are great at just listening to all my gripes and grouses so at 24 weeks I asked to see a mw too & they were fine about that. I won't do it at every appt but I may ask again.

Sea - enjoy Oz, I've never been but have always wanted to go. You are so close to moving home now, how exciting! And that is brilliant news about your test results.

Re birth fear: I have birth fear and a huge fear of CS as well so I'm stuck really. I can't stand the idea of the post surgery CS pain or the recovery period. And for those wanting more kids my obstetrician friend reckons CS can affect future conception (only v slightly though, most people are fine). I can however say great things about epidurals. I had one both times & while it was hard to keep still throughout contractions while they sited the epidural it didn't really hurt when the needle went in. The relief an epidural brings is AMAZING. I literally read a book and had a nap after my epi with DD2, then I pushed twice with v minimal pain and out she popped. It wore of an hour or do later so I don't think I had a catheter, maybe I did but I never noticed it! The only bit of my birth plan I am certain about this time is to have an epidural as soon as my labour is properly established. That an injection of anti sickness meds, I felt nauseous in both labours but one injection soon put pay to that.

MooLL Thu 14-Feb-13 12:34:28

Hi all - not been on for ages but been reading all the news - huge congrats 10 you and Seb seem to be getting along amazingly well - so so happy for you!

Regarding consultant led I am in that camp given previous pre-eclamsia and early birth. I have all my usual midwife appointments but with the consultant instead. She is forever ordering extra tests such as baseline bloods and frequent growth scans - which at times gets frustrating but I do feel very looked after. I would agree you don't get to have usual chit chat as much ... But that is where you lovely ladies come in :-)

I think we must be mad but appears like an offer on a house we viewed at the weekend may get accepted today! A huge lifestyle change moving from Sw London up to the countryside ... We now need to get our place on the Market so going to hold off creating a nursery from the office! Looks like if all goes ahead we will move a couple weeks after DD is born - not ideal given I am having an elective c section but a great excuse not to carry any boxes!!

Ellypoo Thu 14-Feb-13 13:33:13

I'm also consultant led but see my MW for all standard appointments, and then have extra ones at the hospital with a scan and appt with my consultant too - it means loads of appointments but tbh I'd much rather that they are keeping a very close eye on us. The MW's at the hospital are all lovely though too, and at our place, a lot of them rotate around the community mw base and the hospitals too.

Woohoo mooll - so many of you moving! I am trying to put my foot down with DH as he is getting itchy feet again!! It is less than 6 months since we moved in!! Do you have anywhere you could stay while your DH moves you? Probably worth paying more for removal men to move you rather than having to do anything yourselves!!

Hi seasalt, lovely to hear from you! I can't believe how soon it is until you come back, that must be a nice feeling, although I can understand the apprehension with the flight.

HV didn't come yesterday. Well, she did, but didn't knock very loudly so I didn't hear her! We have rearranged for when I'm off on maternity leave - much more sensible!
Had whooping cough jab this morning, but my arm isn't sore yet!!

Hope you are all doing ok! We had loads of snow here again yesterday afternoon, but it had all gone by this morning thankfully!!

scooby26 Thu 14-Feb-13 13:38:19

Re epidurals- I didn't want one but after 7 hours of contractions on syntocin drip ( induced due to group b strep) I was still only 3 cm dilated.. I could have lasted longer but not the average 7-10 hours I was likely to still take so I had to give in to the epidural. It was magic and we sat and watched tv etc for the next xx hours. In those circs I can' t see many disadvantage and would ave one magazine if required but in an ideal world I'd rather have a nice quick epidural free birth ;-) it was defo the right decision as labour ended up taking 26 hrs...

Defo hoping for shorter this time but DS had his hand by his face so he simply got wedged silly bugger!

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 14-Feb-13 13:49:42

mooll fantastic news on the house offer.

seasalt glad to hear you're doing well and the test results were ok, not long now until you're home smile.

Re consultant care, I'm like elly, I have my usual MW appts but also see the consultant at the hospital. I've only had to see him once so far, with more booked at 28 and 34 weeks.

We need new thread names again, maybe something about going into the third trimester, or one arriving already?

ng1412 Thu 14-Feb-13 14:54:34

Wow mooll all systems go for you, congratulations!

I was consultant led in previous pregnancy due to my age, I still had regular check ups with the MW though, just a few extra scans and they monitored the baby more often and then made the decision to have baby induced a week earlier than due date.

I have just had a call from my consultant's secretary saying he wants more bloods from me, so I am now wondering why, I should have asked her but it was quite difficult as I didn't understand her too well to begin with. Anyway they are sending me the documents so I am hoping this sheds more light on it.

Anyone any ideas what it could be for? I had the GTT a fortnight ago and all was ok and he has also already told me to go for the full GTT when I can within the next two weeks.

Agghhhh!

rainand Thu 14-Feb-13 16:22:36

Hi all,

I am late to join, hung around the pregnancy section without realising there was a thread here

Look forward to catching up on the thread! smile

Ellypoo Thu 14-Feb-13 16:28:01

Welcome rainand - we have a stat's thread on here too, so feel free to add yourself! When are you due and do you know what you are having yet?

ng I had my 28wk MW appt today and she said that they do bloods at this time - to test iron levels etc but also to test for anitbodies within your blood, so maybe this could be what they want you for?

Got GTT tomorrow so having bloods done at the hospital then. Whooping cough vaccine this morning - was fine, didn't hurt at all, but my arm has started aching a bit now, but it's ok really!

Finally in 3rd trimester - time seems to be slowing down (for me anyway, everyone keeps saying how fast it's going!) Only 8 weeks to go - woohoo!!

28+2

ng1412 Thu 14-Feb-13 18:39:44

Elly thanks that's probably it. Got myself into a bit of a state earlier but thinking if there was a problem and it was urgent, they wouldn't be posting me the documents and would be telling me to go in ASAP.

Welcome rain!

26+4

Moll Congrats on house.Exciting.We have decided to stay in our house for longer its not too cramped yet and the rent is cheap so we are going to concentrate on putting together a bigger deposit smile

Ng it could just be that they have forgotten to do routine bloods.I had last blood test at 16 weeks for combined test and my midwife said I will have them taken again on my next appointment at 29 weeks.

Had a lovely Valentines day.DP is working away and we don't do valentines.However at work we all decided to get the dine in for £10 deal.After work we opened the wine and I think I had a bit too much.Feeling really guilty now.I actually felt a lil tipsy blushhmm

When does the third trimester start.My app says today but I saw someone up thread say its 28 weeks.Confused.

Boodstress Thu 14-Feb-13 19:38:09

Beaut another place said 29 weeks when I looked it up. I think babycentre said 28 weeks so I just went with that. Don't feel guilty about the wine, probably did you the world of good shock I'm having a glass of proscecco with my dinner that i didnt cook for once and I will enjoy it hugely shock

ng1412 Thu 14-Feb-13 19:42:26

Beaut it depends where it look! Some say beginning of 27 week and some say 28. I think the NHS website says 28 weeks.

MaybeAMayBaby Thu 14-Feb-13 19:54:50

Im planning on a glass tonight too. The last sip was Xmas day and I've been craving white wine for weeks.

Anyone else struggling with tiredness? I don't remember this sheer exhaustion-can't keep eyes open with the last one. In most ways this has been a brilliant pregnancy compared to last time, but the tiredness is getting me down sad. Iron levels are exceptionally good (they always comment) so can't be that.

I'm also like Elly with appointments at both hospital and community MW. But I go to hospital fortnightly. The waiting times are much better than last time-sometimes I was there for 3-4 hours!

Jealous of all this house buying! Has the market had an upturn then? My DM has just run to say my DS has sold and bought a new house this week (well offers). A year ago we couldn't even get a viewing on our house. None of the houses at the time sold for months. Then all of a sudden in seeing sold signs everywhere! I loved the excitement of house hunting-just not the anxious time between acceptance and exchange. Good luck to you all.

10 lovely to hear from you-how is Seb today?
salt so happy to hear good news from your test results.

shelly81 Thu 14-Feb-13 20:01:37

Omg I'm nesting so bad I want to paint everything ..... I'm driving DP mental haha xxx

SevenReasonsToSmile Thu 14-Feb-13 20:43:25

Nearly full, new Fred over here

Wirrawoo Thu 14-Feb-13 23:29:18

scooby when you say induced because of Strep B, is that because you were overdue or was there another reason involving Strep B? Just asking because I'm strep B positive as well but all they have said is that I will have IV antibiotics in labour.
The Natal Hypnotherapy CD arrived today. Looking forward to using it. managed to do a full pregnancy yoga workout today too so felt mega relaxed.

Welcome rainand smile hope you are having a fine pregnancy so far. When are you due?

A friend came over with some great old nursing/maternity tops and more baby clothes. People have been so great with passing on hand-me-downs, it has been a total lifesaver.

Have a fab time in Australia seasalt which city are you in? Am feeling massively homesick for oz at the mo, London is great but I miss my family!

sarahwebs Sat 08-Jun-13 22:09:20

hi everybody. i just got registered on this wonderfull website. i have read alots of interesting things that helped me and my baby. this reminded me of a movie i saw a few days ago on www.onchannel.net/57028-the-pregnancy-project-2012.html

and i thought on sharing it with you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now