Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013- boys , girls or the unknown? Over half way there!

(994 Posts)
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:55:09

Hi all, new had for may 2013!

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 08-Jan-13 12:21:43

Sorry about the comments beaut, I'm sure next time they'll soon stop if you tell actually you're thrilled to be having another boy. And in my experience the old sayings are true, that boys are more loving than girls and boys are easier babies. DS was such a laid back baby, 10 times easier than DD is!

We'll be hopefully finding out what we're having. DH is certain its a girl, I'm leaning towards boy but I really don't know. I've been certain with both of the other two.

Meant to say we've got nursery furniture coming on Thursday. No idea where we're going to put it though, there's still a ton of rubbish to clear out of the nursery!

Glad I'm not the only one suffering ng, hope it improves soon smile

Hope you're feeling ok now 10

Just back from my scan. Definitely a girl and definitely a wriggler - wouldn't keep still. Got all the info from the hospital about admissions, pre-natal visits and aqua-gym classes whatever they are! Just got to sort out a kinae now...

Seven We have nursery furniture coming next Friday.So far stored in the nursery we have pushchair,carrycot,carseat,Moses basket,steriliser,bottles,bath box and clothes.Going to need a bigger house grin

Mama Congrats.The girls are definitely catching up now.Aqua gym sounds like it could be fun.

How's the heartburn I'm drinking gaviscon now.Yuck.

Ellypoo Tue 08-Jan-13 13:40:20

That's great news mamma - congratulations - another for team pink, girls have almost caught up now, haven't they!

I'm sorry you have had another bleed 10, but so positive that hb is strong and that they are happy that the clot is starting to drain/heal.

I think my baby has finally moved positions a bit, so hopeful for the scan on Friday - would be 3rd time lucky!! Movementss are a bit more 'muffled' and in a different place - lower down and more to the left of my belly button, whereas before they were definitely to the right and almost level with my belly button.

My heartburn doesn't seem to be too bad at the moment, unless I eat later at night, and it hurts when I lie down. I do have a huge bottle of gaviscon by the bed, but it tastes so horrid, that I'm so pleased that my heartburn has calmed down a bit!!

SeaSalt1 Tue 08-Jan-13 13:45:56

Congratulations on your scans Mamma and Scooby. I had mine and all is well, such a huge relief, I had an enormous chocolate cupcake to celebrate smile It turns out we're growing a big'n - all his measurements were towards the top end of the scale and the width of his head is quite literally off the chart for 20 weeks <gulp>. Not too surprised as large baby boys run in both families (DH is 6'4"). Must remember to do my pelvic floor exercises...

Maybe, hope your scan went ok, thinking of you.

You ladies are so organised with your purchases! We bought a very lovely baby grow today in celebration after the scan but that is all so far. I suppose it makes sense to buy things when we get back to London but I would love to be taking full advantage of the sales!

Seven and ng - hope the teething improves soon, fingers crossed for a better night's sleep tonight.

Beautician hope you feel better soon, and sorry to hear the mums at the school gates were so thoughtless, I'm sure you've done the right thing with the pushchair and boy's clothes.

Ellypoo Tue 08-Jan-13 15:29:49

Oh that's great news seasalt xxx Can you order stuff in the sales to be delivered & stored at your Mum's or anywhere?

berri Tue 08-Jan-13 16:09:53

Congrats mamma, seasalt & scooby!

NG glad your amnio went ok, hope you're still not in any pain? I don't know how you ladies with young kids do it, DS is 4 now and luckily (touch wood!) sleeps through every night. I think I'd be knackered if I had to get up to him as well as being generally knackered!

ng1412 Tue 08-Jan-13 16:36:42

Hi berri not in any pain now but taking it easy for next few days. I am just lucky my DH took this week off as his parents are visiting. Normally I struggle to lift my DD up the stairs!

Yay! All good scan news - congrats all round I think. Beaut, the heartburn is coming and going - how's yours? I have a pack of chewable Renee on me at all times, I can't stand Gaviscon! Sorry to hear the school gate mafia are being a bit crap - why would anyone be disappointed about having a DS?

ArtigeneAuberchoke Tue 08-Jan-13 17:40:18

It is lovely to read about all the good scans. Congratulations to everybody.

Ng – I am glad that they were finally able to conduct your amnio. How long will it take to get the results? Rest up lots and hopefully any funny pains will disappear.

Seasalt – My first two always had heads that measured off the scale (and tummies to match, although their legs were always on the short side!). I just wanted to give you some words of comfort: my DD2 was born weighing over 10lbs with a head on the 100th centile and yet her birth was really not too bad (I only pushed for 15 minutes and there was no tearing). It was certainly an easier birth than her sister’s who was a little smaller, so do not worry too much about having a big’un but do remember those pelvic floor exercises.

Beut – I’m sorry to hear that you are on the receiving end of some odd comments about DS3. I am finding that when I tell people we are having a DS after 2 DDs they all say things like “that must fulfil your dreams” or “you got there in the end”. It is driving me crazy. I did not get pregnant in the hope of a particular gender, I would have been so happy with three DDs, but nobody seems prepared to believe me.

Elly – fingers crossed that you are right and the baby has finally shifted. Good luck for Friday’s scan.

10 – How are you doing? Sorry to hear you had another bleed.

On the subject of baby shopping I have done NOTHING. I think it will stay that way. With DC1 I loved getting all the nursery furniture, little clothes and equipment but looking back I got way too much and really much of it was unnecessary, I don’t regret it as it was exciting and all part of the experience but I definitely did not really need most things. With this being DC3 it feels like a challenge to do the opposite and survive on what we have got. I stupidly gave away the nursery furniture but friends are lending me a moses basket and cot and that is really all that is needed. I also gave away the monitor but its not like our house is huge and to be honest I don’t want to be aware of every whimper this time! I have loads of pink clothes and dresses which I will Ebay but I think we have enough unisex to survive given I know we will get lots of boy clothes gifts and hand-me-downs. I don’t have a baby gym etc but this time I figure that the baby will have its sisters to watch and they will probably be more amusing than the gym. So I think we are OK expect that I need a steriliser, some formula and a few bottles. I breastfed before and I never gave the girls a bottle so I have nothing like that, this time I think I might try and mix feed so that I can leave the baby with DH occasionally and still have one-on-one time with the girls. Any experienced mixed feeders out there who can recommend a formula and bottle brand that a mainly BF baby is likely to take?

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 08-Jan-13 18:15:36

Another girl!!

Baby is fine but really quite small. Trying not to worry by have to go back for a scan in 3 weeks at 24 weeks. Apparently that is when they properly start checking for growth. My DD was small (6lbs 3oz and a tiny 9th percentile head circumference) so I guess it migh be genes.

My DH is a bit disappointed with the gender which has upset me a bit. I love being a mummy to a girl and on my side of the family, the last 10 babies born over 3 generations have all been girls! Very weird. So I feel I'd not know what to do with a boy anyway. I guess there is a bit of me that is a little disappointed, but I think that's more to do with DH. He better get over it quick or I'll have to sort him out.
DD is pleased!

High bp too. In fact I'm really sufferring with headaches too. The dr won't prescribe bp meds yet but I think it's on the cards.

ArtigeneAuberchoke I used aptamil as was told by midwife it's supposed to taste most like breast milk. She only had one bottle a day after a month or too, but needed on straight after delivery (syringe) as she wouldn't latch and her blood sugar was on low side. Also used tommee tippee bottles closer to nature. But I was very lucky with mixed feeding. Never an issue with confusion although because she was airtime early and small it took her 2-3 weeks to latch, so I expressed and bottle fed. I then used nipple shields to try and get her back on breast. Took a day and she got it! No more shields after that.

MaybeAMayBaby Tue 08-Jan-13 18:27:37

Congrats mamma, sesalt and scooby! Was there someone else? It's such a relief to get it out of the way.

And N, I bet you are more than relieved the amino is over. Finger crossed for you.

Who is left for scans? Looks like all the girls are towards end of May!

shelly81 Tue 08-Jan-13 18:49:00

Artigene I keep getting that too some ppl are just so stupid .... GTT tomorrow so nil by mouth from 8.30 tonight booooooo xxxx

ng1412 Tue 08-Jan-13 19:02:12

Thanks maybe and congrats on having another girl. I would be over the moon for another girl as I am one of two girls of close ages and we had fun when we were kids and are now very close still. I really don't care whether I have a boy or girl, at this moment in time it seems a long way of for me with the amnio hurdle to get over first.

Artigene our gyne said two weeks, he will phone them through apparently. Just realized we don't have an answer phone on our landline or any way of seeing who called last. Think I may have to get a new phone ASAP....

Have horrible indigestion but staying off the chocolate seems to have helped and of course gallons of gaviscon smile.

Shelly good luck, I am going for my GTT test some tme next week, typical France they just let you go in when you want for it. I have been putting it off but I am putting loads of weight on so may have to drag myself back to the hospital again next week. I am there every week at the moment!

Ellypoo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:39:00

I will have my GTT at 28 weeks - not looking forward to it, just because it will be so boring waiting for 2 hours at the hospital!!

23 + 0

Ellypoo Tue 08-Jan-13 19:39:33

Can you give your mobile number to the doc ng, just in case? Hope these next 2 weeks go quickly for you xx

beaver33 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:17:25

Aaaargh, need to vent! At a time of great financial pressure I just had 200 quid nicked out of my bank account...and the circumstances are making me feel like a complete idiot.

Was at a busy train station on Friday night, being sent off on a work job, and while I was at a cash point a bloke came up and was being really rude and aggressive and pushing buttons.

I know, I know, weird. I shouted at him and pushed him away but he was well-dressed and foreign and kept insisting he'd just had his card swallowed and was trying to help. God this sounds so silly written down.

I told him to leave me alone, and successfully got my card out of the machine. Man had gone. But just checked my account and money has gone. I def didn't withdraw it.

Reported to the police/bank etc but now so annoyed with myself. And I won't get it back if bank can show the machine dispensed it.

Has spoiled what should have been a lovely few days for us sad and I can't afford to lose that money....

Boo!

ng1412 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:19:36

Ellypoo I should have done that this morning, doh! Otherwise it means ringing the receptionist and trying to explain in my rubbish French as she refuses to doesn't speak English...

ng1412 Tue 08-Jan-13 20:23:48

beaver so sorry to hear that, it wasn't your fault though so don't beat yourself up, I would have done the same thing and I am sure most others would. When things like that happen it is fine to look back and think in hindsight I should have done xyz but at the time you are reacting to a strange situation.

Doesn't the bank have cctv to prove it happened?

Ellypoo Tue 08-Jan-13 20:30:57

Oh no beaver, what a nightmare - CCTV is a good idea, if it was at a train station, surely there will be some that the police can access? If it goes nowhere with the bank, is there a chance your home insurance might cover it? Mine covers cash out of the house, might be worth a check?

berri Tue 08-Jan-13 20:56:57

congrats maybe!

Beaver that's awful, poor you sad Don't be hard on yourself, if someone leans over your shoulder and starts poking around it's a totally weird situation and these people are VERY well practised in distracting you so they can get what they want.

I'm sure the police can help - even if the machine dispensed it, it still wasn't dispensed to YOU so it's still theft. I hope they can help you. All cash machines have the cameras on now too as well.

flowers to you, what a rotten thing to happen.

Rhienne Tue 08-Jan-13 21:35:31

Wow you lot post loads! Every time I think I'll read the new posts then add a hello, I never get to the end!

Anyway. We're still here. LO's kicking hard, making presence felt. smile

This is DC2. Some of the gear we have/had and appreciated includes:

Teutonia Cosmo pram. Had the carry cot for the first 6 months, now the buggy seat. Also bought the attachment for our...

Maxi Cosi Cabriofix.

Baby Björn carrier.

Babylonia Tricot Slen wrap grin

When a bit older: Onya Baby carrier.

We have an Ikea cot. When DS was tiny we had it with the bottom up high, and him crossways, with a barrier across the middle so it was only half length. As he grew he went right way round, then we dropped the base as soon as it looked like he was rolling over and grabbing for the sides. Never had a Moses basket.

For this new baby, I'm looking at getting a Newborn inset for the Tripp Trapp chair, so baby can be up at our level at meals (and as someone else put it "away from big brother's pverenthusiastic hugs and kisses").

Baby Björn bouncer.

Lots of muslin cloths.

For whoever it was upthread who said they are obsesses with prams, I so know what you mean. I was obsessed with DC1 and am almost as bad again now. I have (more than once) stopped someone on the street to ask about their pram and if they are happy with it. blush We are looking at getting a Mountain Buggy Duet, and I'm a bit tempted to get it now and use it for DS with the shopping bag instead of the second seat, as it's wheels will be better for slushy snow than the Cosmo. Although I quite dislike people with 1 1/2 width or double prams who don't really need them, on the buses or at daycare, taking up more space than they need to!

Fingers crossed for those of you with worrying bleeds, or difficulties at work.

Wirrawoo Wed 09-Jan-13 00:18:05

Oh rhienne I love the look of those Tripp trapp chairs. We are coveting one with the newborn insert but will see how we go with other stuff first. What a great idea with the ikea cot. We are going to have a cot from the start because, apart from budget considerations, we have a cat and I think a Moses basket would be too tempting for her to sleep in! Was worried about it seeming cavernous for a little one though, going width-ways at first seems like a really interesting solution. What did you make the partition from? Would an angelcare movement sensor monitor work if he was sleeping that way around do you think? Haven't seen how big it is yet.

beaver what a total bugger!!! Totally sympathise, that is so crappy. sad I agree that hopefully you should be able to get it reimbursed from the bank. Cn you report it to the police? Did he take the money out then or did he do something shifty to your card? CCTV should def show it and I've often found that just hassling the bank until they give in can work a treat (speaks the long time self-employed master of living in overdraft horror!)

10 hope you're feeling ok.

Have been having weird low down pains all day, they are freaking me out a bit. Could bubs just be poking me somewhere strange, is it pelvic type growing pains or could it be a UTI? It seems too low down for baby but i guess his foot could be sticking into something there. Whenever anything feels similar to the old endometriosis pain I freak out a teeny bit. Couldn't have dinner until really late and got massively lightheaded and dizzy/breathless without food. Skipping meals isn't quite the same when you've got a bun in the oven! All in all feeling very odd health wise today. Anywhoo, maybe a nights sleep will fix it. Thanks for the info about MATB1 forms guys, you minded me to get one sorted!
Hope all those not feeling so good get better soon thanks

rachywhite83 Wed 09-Jan-13 08:37:38

Anyone else feeling AWFUL today. Haven't stopped crying since I got up. Even cried on the train to work. I'm just exhausted hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now