Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013- boys , girls or the unknown? Over half way there!

(994 Posts)
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:55:09

Hi all, new had for may 2013!

Sparklyboots Tue 12-Feb-13 11:00:41

Oh my goodness, you can't take a week off here, can you? So excited to hear about Seb, congratulations 10!

Haven't actually noticed my own hair growth except to note that I probably want to trim parts of it before I go into labour. Fingers crossed I will remember this time, ha ha. <cringe>

I'm at 'work' but being useless and feeling quite breathless and crap. Had such a tiring weekend and then lost my notes for my mw/ glucose test. OMG I have rarely been treated like such a fucking drop out, even when I was one in my student days. Seriously ladies, DON'T LOSE YOUR NOTES. There was a point at which I thought they were just going to refuse to continue with my ante-natal care. I know that I'm in the wrong, cos I lost my notes, (well, DP says he 'tidied' them somewhere) but I did think they were quite harsh with me. Of course, DP and I had a row about it as I was leaving so by the time they were through with me I basically sat and sobbed throughout the wait for my glucose test, which was additionally quite humiliating. To be totally fair, though, I wouldn't have sobbed if I wasn't also under quite a lot of pressure for a deadline at work, hadn't just had some personally quite disappointing professional news and hadn't wasn't in the middle of a particularly difficult moment with my alcoholic DF. So it wasn't all their fault. However, I think it would have been nice/ appropriate if someone had shown an ounce of concern over the weeping woman in the waiting room, but as they are massively understaffed (3 people from the mw board chalked up as off with flu) they had no chance to do any such thing.

Okay, weepy moment over. Am about to go and achieve something! And that thing is, doing the barest minimum to qualify for having my job!

Love to all but especially Seb. Keep meaning to do the FB thing and really want to now there's the possibility of pictures? How do I sign up again?

x

WildeRumpus Tue 12-Feb-13 11:14:43

Ooh a hair cut! Mine is scrapped back in a pony tail and is depressing me now. Is so expensive tho!

Feeling v full of baby these days, is reassuring to hear some of you are starting to feel really pregnant now too (tho obviously don't want anyone in pain!).

Betsy hope your dad ok. must be such a difficult time for you, pma or no.

WildeRumpus Tue 12-Feb-13 11:17:47

X post sparkly.

nuts they so cross, from my experience my pregnant friends are always losing their notes! When I lost mine my mw laughed and said losing things was a side effect of pregnancy smile AMD have forgotten them for a couple of appts but they just give me their notes to add myself.

Can't believe you had such a rough time! X

Boodstress Tue 12-Feb-13 11:58:26

Wow Sparkley you are dealing with a lot, no wonder you had a weep. I don't know what is worse sometimes at the moment, someone being harsh with me or someone being really nice and asking if everything is ok..either one is likely to set me off if moment is right (or wrong). I have been beaten up for forgetting to put the letter about my nuchal with the results (which is low risk so she is just being annoying).
Betsy thinking of you and hope the get the treatment agreed and started for your dad. From experience everyone feels so much more in control then.
I would love to join the FB group too - could anyone direct me to it? Thanks

Bood & Sparkly have PM's you both.

My notes consist of one side of A4 plain paper with my Dr's illegible scrawl all over them. I dread to think what might happen if they got lost!

Also feeling very pregnant, got quite uncomfortable walking back from DS's creche this morning so gave in and waddled back. I'm also getting quite emotional, DH offered to pick DS up from creche yesterday afternoon so I could get on with my work (I'm marking A level Economics exams) and I welled up with tears and sent him a really gushy email about how wonderful and thoughtful he was. So ashamed of myself!

beaver33 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:30:38

oooh, leg hair. YES. Am normally such a troll, so it's brilliant. It's gone all soft and fine and blonde. My head hair is also less greasy, whoever said that too, so am only washing every second day. It's bliss. Just wish I could get rid of the weird random spots which keep emerging on the end of my nose hmm.

sparkly I had a similar notes-related experience recently after my bleed. I was back at work and had been told to phone the midwife unit to get some test results. She asked me for my patient number etc and I apologised and said I was at work and didn't have my notes with me. She got really crotchety and said I should be carrying them round with me everywhere because, 'What if you were taken ill at work and then no-one would know anything about your pregnancy history?' It was all very 'tut, tut' and 'well, i'll see what I can do' etc.

No one had ever told me I had to carry them around, just that I should take them to appointments. Was a little miffed that she told me off like a school child.

I had proper rage yesterday at my bank after they refused to refund me £200 I had stolen from me (it was a sophisticated scam at a cashpoint - all on CCTV, police are investigating etc). I saw red and started yelling at them that they were happy for their heavily pregnant customers to be robbed and they didn't care....blah blah. Have already drafted a strong letter. That made me feel better.

27+1

ng1412 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:41:00

Ooh Mamma can you send me details for FB?

beaver well done letting off steam at the bank. Unbelievable that try are not being more cooperative.

Betsy really hope it all goes well with your dad x

ng1412 Tue 12-Feb-13 12:58:56

Thanks Mamma should probably ask before I send request, is it ok for me to use my DH's FB page as I don't have one? He hardly uses it, as you will see, and some of the friends are actually mine!

Let me know and I will send request if ok!

shutthebloodydoor Tue 12-Feb-13 12:58:59

Hi girls, totally new to this thread, due the begining of may, with a little girl. Any one any thoughts on hypno birthing (i think its called that!) and if it worked for them.
Sorry if its been all ready discussed, ive not read all the other posts .

aberjen Tue 12-Feb-13 13:29:44

Mamma could I join the FB group too please?

Another hairless wonder over here grin

Welcome shutthebloodydoor - although can't help on the hypnobirthing front I'm afraid.

beaver shock Good on you for giving them what for - rubbish that they are being so obstructive esp. as it was all on CCTV etc!

sparkly Aww, sorry you're going through a rough time of it

Fed up of stupid cold. Can't breathe properly or concentrate on anything for longer than 30 seconds - is it home time yet?

TerracottaPie Tue 12-Feb-13 13:33:50

10 that's such good news about Sebastian. And to echo everyone else...yes you still belong here!

Names are so hard aren't they?! It's almost making me wish we hadn't decided on a surprise as there are 2 names to have to think of. Only almost though. I have a lot more on the list for girls than there are boys but none seem to be 'the one' yet. Bood I keep seeing Kit as a NN for Christopher - that any good?

Those of you having a surprise - do have any idea as to what you think you're having? I'm guessing girl here for some reason.

The hair growth/non-growth thing has further swayed it! I don't remember any change with leg hair with DD1 and 2. Surprised as anything when I didn't need to shave my legs with DS. And I'm back to no difference with this one. Ergo this is a girl. It is all very scientific I know wink.

Thanks for the P&T pushchair recommendations. I keep hearing they're quite heavy and with DS already being a nearly 13kg monster I don't want it to be too much to push around. But I think it's made me want to go and test them out. Just need for the Oyster Max to actually be in a shop near me along with a P&T and I can try out both!

Sparkly you sound like you're having a tough time. Don't give your notes another thought - they get lost, do they think people lose them on purpose or something?! - just concentrate on you smile

betsy hope things can get organised with your Dad for his treatment. Not an easy road to be starting on but the waiting to know what to do or waiting to begin must be really hard too

beaver The Rage does have its uses! It feels like ages ago when the cashpoint thing happened. Glad it was on CCTV. Fingers crossed the bank pull their finger out.

And finally the FB group somehow passed me by...can I have a PM too please!

28+0

roastpotatoes Tue 12-Feb-13 14:04:47

Welcome shutthebloodydoor! I have heard good things about hypnobirthing but haven't investigated it much myself. A friend of mine is going to lend me the CD that she has been using called "Effective Birth Preparation" - she says that it is really good to listen to in the weeks leading up to the birth. So I thought I might give this a go.

Wirrawoo Tue 12-Feb-13 15:59:16

roast Orla is my número uno girls name, so you have a big thumbs up here! We are having a boy so no worries about there being 2 on here smile
Have now narrowed it down to 2 boys names with another one making a late appearance last week and now in top contention. Will have to meet him first and see which suits him.
Will be buying the cot tonight from mothercare online 'cos they have a 15% off everything if the total is over £100 deal that finishes tomorrow. Spent all yesterday cleaning and sorting out the bedroom to make room for our new arrival. Still so much to do! Question for those of who that have been there and done it... Should I hold off on getting more bras until later as my boobs will prob get bigger I'm guessing. What happens to them afterwards? Stupid question I know but do they stay as big whilst you are nursing? Don't want to spend money now on bras I won't fit into in a few weeks.

Feeling oh so pregnant now. We are off to check out some wedding venues in Somerset/Devon this weekend before I get too waddly and nervous about spontaneously giving birth somewhere random to do long trips any more! Really excited grin

Boodstress Tue 12-Feb-13 16:39:01

wirra in my experience once your milk comes in they get much bigger! I realise that's quite a scary prospect. Last time I got fitted at 6 months and bought ones that were also nursing but I would probably wait til 8 months now and buy some with some give.
terracota my D's good friend has named his new baby Kit and I knew it was short for something so that has actually rules out Christopher. I didnt love it anyway. i don't love any. I am having a surprise too and the hair growth stopping has happened with my boys a bit but more extreme now. My hair is really dry, get away with not washing it for a few days at a push. I am carrying much higher this time. I was very nauseous for the first -17 weeks and nothing on either of my others. my instinct is a girl this time, we conceived early in the cycle as well. Another TMI symptom I have that I wondered did anyone else have is cloudy urine, it's very pale. I know it's not dehydration or UTI. I have read that's a girl symptom but again all these are true 50% of the time grin

SevenReasonsToSmile Tue 12-Feb-13 17:36:02

Hi shut. I used the hypno CD someone else mentioned with DD. I'm not certain whether it really worked or not tbh, though my entire labour only lasted 3 hours so contractions may have just been too intense to start with as they didnt gradually build up IYSWIM. Having said that I managed on just G&A and found listening to it during pregnancy very relaxing so can't hurt to give it a try, I'm using it again this time, it just wasn't the calming blissful experience I'd been expecting.

terra the P&T is heavier than some of the other singles, though I guess it has to be for the frame to be strong enough to take the extra seat and extra child. Having said that I find that the steering is really light so you only notice the extra weight when lifting it in and out of the car etc. if you're considering one I'd do it before you need it as a double so you can get used to it, I found that ours was incredibly stiff to fold for the first few weeks.

wirra wow enjoy checking out wedding venues, when is the wedding?

Waiting for DH to get home so we can have pancakes, it's our first pancake day with home-reared eggs!

LittleSpade Tue 12-Feb-13 18:20:05

Hi. Thanks for the suggestions re: the potential cause of my dizziness. Have been feeling a little off-colour generally and have been very busy with work so hopefully that's what's causing it and it'll resolve itself with rest.

mamma could you PM me the details of the facebook group too?

I am having a suprise and think I have slightly more body hair although my actual hair is also less greasy than usual. Not sure what this says! I don't really have any inclination as to what I'm having although I do sometimes accidently refer to it as a 'he' so maybe my subconscious is trying to tell me something!

Does anyone have any suggestions for good off-road/all-terrain buggies/travel systems?

We're going to look at the weekend and i really have no idea where to start. We live in the countryside and walk on moorland/forest, across a common with woodland trails, along dis-used railway lines and at National Trust properties all the time so i need something practical and robust that can stand uneven surfaces and a bit of mud. I almost never use public transport (occasional trains) and we don't go round the shops that often so size/manouverability is less of an issue i think. Will need to consider weight as we go everywhere by car but so long as i can lift it this isn't a deal breaker either as i'm guessing that the more robust models suitable for where i want to go may well be heavier.

Another one looking forward to pancakes here!

27+2

LittleSpade Tue 12-Feb-13 18:41:27

Also meant to say sorry to hear of the guilt trip directed at whoever it was who lost their notes.

I think its a stressful time for a lot of us at this stage with trying to juggle work and a need to ramp up preparations for the baby.

I've had a really nerve wracking day. I run my own business and issued a newsletter today telling all my clients about my pregnancy and maternity leave plans. I'm taking 9 months off or at least with minimal business activity so I can keep in touch / do urgent stuff without losing my maternity pay. This is much longer off than in my experience most people who run their own businesses, especially without a business partner, take. So I'm really worried about losing my clients. Have been contacting key clients to stress that they can still get in touch when I'm on leave as I'll probably still check my emails almost daily on my phone anyway and I can advise, project manage work for them whilst sub-contracting the more time consuming elements, or do some work in my evenings and weekends but worried they won't want to bother me. Had some lovely congratulatory messages but argh such worrying times. Also, perhaps stupidly, I'm still scared of telling people like this who I know less well or in a more formal way after previous mc.

Beaver I remember the cashpoint fiasco really hope you get your money back smile

Wirra Good luck with the Wedding Venues.The one we chose and have paid our deposit for has been refurbished.We are going to look next weekend.They said it may be done before our wedding but were doubtful.Just hope I like it now.

Little I'm sure your business will all work out.Im self employed and worried I won't be able to go back due to child care costs probably outweighing what I earn(newish business).So considering re training as we want to get saving more for our house deposit.No idea what ill do though.Just need to earn some decent wages.

With regards to differences in pregnancy. This is my third boy and has been a completely different pregnancy to the other two.Im not sure if its because my first two are 17 months apart.This time I'm much less hairy,dry hair,craving sweets(usually favour savoury),carrying very low and super hormonal.The only thing that's remained the same is that I seem to be all bump so far.

It's half term today and we've had a busy day.I went to the dentist this morning and they cleaned my teeth.The bleeding was so bad afterwards.Thats another new symptom my gums didn't bleed with first two.Then we went to see Wreck it Ralph at the cinema.Highly recommended. Never known my two to be so quiet.

mwncigirl Tue 12-Feb-13 19:47:33

Hi everyone, I'll stop lurking just long enough to say, my leg hair (etcshock) is getting ridiculously long grin, I'm having a boy!

little we off road all the time with our DS and love the mothercare urban detour three wheeler, heavy to haul and slightly awkward for shipping but purely off road, you can't beat it. We have an old model I got off freecycle but they do sell reasonably on eBay

Bunnychan Tue 12-Feb-13 20:02:28

Got me thinking about leg hair- mine has slowed down in growth but don't know if I'm having pink or blue. My gums are terrible! The bleed so much when I brush them and I have the dentist next week: not looking forward to that.
I can't stop wondering about 10 and Little Seb; hope we have an update soon but love to you both in the meantime.

Off to make some pancakes- whoop! X

Boodstress Tue 12-Feb-13 20:07:48

beaut good film advice although my 2 almost 3 yr old prob too young for it but 5 yr old saw trailers and was v keen.

Love analysing preg symptoms & guessing sex - it gets me through the pregnancy. Whatever it is in there it's crazy busy with long periods of sleep. I've never known so much movement. Can't wait to meet him or her now!

Little I run my own business and let my key clients know when im stopping and a rough plan for returning. In the past they've approached me and asked was I ready to take on a piece of work. I have done but made out like I had other commitments and then just worked at a slower pace. It's a juggling act but very doable.

Bunny it hurt to have my teeth cleaned today and usually I'm fine.The amount of blood was ridiculous.

My dentist asked do I rinse after brushing.I said yes thinking I was going to get a gold star and he said not to as I'm washing away the toothpaste.Oops I've always rinsed.Also I'm using corsodyl for my gums and he said to use it an hour after brushing and for no longer than two weeks as it stains the teeth

Bood everyone's still convinced I'm having a girl.Even though 20 week scan says boy.All my symptoms are typically girl ones and we conceived early in my cycle.I guess DPs genes are just very different to exps or maybe its my age.

Can't wait for my 4d scan.I want to be able to tell everyone 'it's definitely a boy we saw his willy in 4d' no mistaking grin

I would guess at a girl for you Bood can't wait to find out those with a surprise.

My eldest ds(autistic) sat silently and didn't even fidget during the film which had NEVER happened before.So pleased as it cost me £30 for tickets shock

Artigene Tue 12-Feb-13 20:26:48

Wirra - we got married I'd Devon ( it's where I grew-up) so we looked at a few venues before choosing a lovely place right in my old village (you may know it, it's the site of a famous music summer school). What sort of place are you looking for? Have fun searching!

Anyone else getting leg and foot cramps? Last night both my feet went into mad cramps as I brushed my teeth. It was so bad I couldn't walk and called DH to help but then found the whole situation so ridiculous that I started laughing hysterically, then making the cramp worse, the crying, then seeing the madness of my behaviour and laughing... I'm surprised DH didn't have me sectioned.

Also got the results of my full GTT today. No diabetes! I told them I just breed huge babies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now