Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

May 2013- boys , girls or the unknown? Over half way there!

(994 Posts)
scooby26 Sun 06-Jan-13 18:55:09

Hi all, new had for may 2013!

Wirrawoo Sun 06-Jan-13 19:12:49

Love it!
Hey thanks for the lists people, v useful! Hi newbie, welcome to the May club! It's all getting exciting now. Hard to wrap your head around really. We really are going to have babies in a few months... Someone offered me their seat on the tube a few days ago... Officially look preggers!!!
10 hope you're feeling ok. That sounds like a really full-on workload (scooby too). Look after yourself guys...
I've been doing 6 hour recording sessions all day for last few days and it's hard... Doesn't seem like so many hours but its v physical & my stomach feels like I've done 500 situps. Got a bit freaked out about it as it kind of feels like I've pulled a muscle on my side, but rest seems to make it better. Maybe some of the discomfort was BH? Hard to tell. He's kicking away in there anyway so all good.
Have been hearing some really horrendous stories about post-natal wards (at our hospital in particular). Do any mums on here have any tips about post-natal wards? A friend said to bring noise-cancelling headphones but wouldn't that mean that you can't hear the baby?! A couple of new Dads on my sessions this week were telling me about problems they had with night shift staff. Not really anything we can do to adjust that I know, but does anyone have advice how to make life a bit easier if we have to stay in for a night or two?
23+2. smile

Picklep Sun 06-Jan-13 19:25:14

Thanks Lolly for the list, they're so helpful as a newbie! One question, have heard others mention too...whst is 'tummy-time' and why is it important? Do you do it straight away? How often?

Pickle Tummy time is important to help babies strengthen their neck.Newborns can't support their own head so no you wouldn't start tummy time straight away.

Picklep Sun 06-Jan-13 19:29:36

Thanks for the reassurance about the peeing artigene, things got worse and in the end I went to the doc, I've got a UTI, so am now on amoxacylin, which are making me feel a bit crap. Tucked up in bed but making the most of it and doing some online shopping.

Sorry posted too soon.Some say start tummy time from day one but I waited with both of mine until about 6 weeks.Its during tummy time that they will eventually start pushing themselves.Not an expert opinion mind you just my own smile

shelly81 Sun 06-Jan-13 19:35:24

Tummy time is good for strengthening neck & back muscles its also encourages babies to crawl later on & in my experience from work babies that have done tummy time usually crawl earlier ... You only need to start off with 20 seconds at first tho xxx

GeordieCherry Sun 06-Jan-13 19:52:08

Thanks for the new thread 😊

TheSecretCervixDNCOP Sun 06-Jan-13 20:02:12

Signing back in on the nice new shiny thread. How are we all doing?

berri Sun 06-Jan-13 20:11:14

Thanks scooby smile

MaybeAMayBaby Sun 06-Jan-13 20:24:42

Found you!

Good luck tomorrow, Geordie. I have mine on Tuesday-getting a bit nervous/excited.
Also good luck to everyone going back to work tomorrow. Teachers-is it a 12 or 11 week term? I'm thinking Easter might be the time to go on mat leave?! Might do first day back after as it's moderating day (and a big part of my TLR-but then....relax.

My DD hated tummy time. She was such a quiet baby and happy, but used to scream and scream whenever I tried. She crawled at 9 months (so maybe late) but walked before 1. So don't think it did any damage. She did lift her head if she lay on me iyswim. But never on the floor.

shelly81 Sun 06-Jan-13 20:32:31

Maybe I never did it with boys either they hated it & were much happier on there back both crawled at 9 mnth n walked at 11 so ya can never tell .... Every baba is different :-) xx

MaybeAMayBaby Sun 06-Jan-13 20:52:23

In fact, you've reminded me of the huge guilt I felt about not being able to get her to do it. The poor thing would have a full on screaming fit!
My sister did have a mat with a small cushion to position their arms over-I think it was designed for this. So, basically, their faces weren't squashed up on the floor if they couldn't move their heads. I might invest this time. Probably the only new toy/thing this one will get! (unless I can pinch my DSis!
shelly how funny that both of ours reached those milestones at same time! I remember thinking it was strange she crawled only for a short while. In fact, she was on her feet cruising pretty much the week after so didn't bother much with crawling at all. Although I have heard crawling is good for brain development? Something about linking both sides of brain-corpus collosum (I've not re-looked that up. That may not be what I mean!).

rachywhite83 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:03:41

Maybe I'm looking to finish at Easter ! I have a 1 hour commute to work and back every day so definitely an Easter finish sounds good to me. grin

rachywhite83 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:06:33

59 school get ups if finishing at Easter !

Sisi8 Sun 06-Jan-13 21:40:44

Hi, I am not due til may 30, so waiting til Friday for my scan... So excited. Does anyone have any advice on cot or cotbed. If cot do they go straight to a little bed afterwards? Getting lots of kicks now after my very quiet day last week!.. Definitely getting stronger. So nice to read all the news and to hear lots of hope for you 10. Such a shame we don't all live in same town, what a great time we would have!!

Sparklyboots Sun 06-Jan-13 22:09:22

Hello all, just caught up with everyone post Crimbo, it took AGES to read the thread and now I can't actually think of anything to respond to...

Umm, the list looked good but we really liked cloth nappies for DS, people are always selling their stashes on Natural Mamas (are you allowed to say that here?!) if you are so inclined. Also, we have a lovely bugaboo bought second hand for DS but used less than ten times as we found the wrap much more convenient (we live on the second floor in flats without lifts). Have passed on our wraps and baby nappies so getting a new Moby wrap, haven't decided on nappies yet...

So yeah, if you are somewhere where the pram/ pushchair is going to be awkward in terms of your house or your lifestyle (prams on the tube - effing arse pain) MOBY or wrapsodie or a stretchy wrap is my big recommendation. You can check out videos on youtube for how to tie them, but stretchies (as opposed to wovens) are v. easy to use and you could go to a sling meet before baby showed up to have a lesson off someone...

Re the tummy time thing, we never did it as an activity with DS, but he was wrapped a lot which is meant to help. He actually lifted his head about two hours after he was born - he was lying on my chest tummy to tummy (o, wait - does that count as tummy time?) and lifted his head up to lie looking the other way. It was like a private sunrise, somehow, I feel all teary thinking about it now. Anyway, whatever, he didn't seem to suffer for his lack of structured tummy time - sat unaided at 5mo, crawled at 6, cruising at 8mo, independent walking at 10mo. Actually [boasty emoticon] he is 24 mo and can push up into a handstand (copying daddy). So we aren't so concerned about tummy time here...

Anyway, lovely to have finally caught up with everyone, welcome noobs, hope everyone is enjoying scans etc (and enjoying better treatment at work!!! - those shifts sound awful, 10? And others really putting the work in - sorry I can't remember or look upthread right now ladies). Love x

lollypopsicle Sun 06-Jan-13 22:31:50

Yes, I want a moby wrap this time. Used a sling that crosses over one shoulder a lot with DS but it ached my shoulders after a while so want something that spreads the weight more and think with 2 DC it will be even more useful to have baby close and hands free.

I was put off by the reusable nappies when my sister found them so poor. They are an expensive investment to make if you then find them unsuitable. Having said this, I've read on here of lots of people that think they are great. They are also cost effective in the long term.

Tummy time is also meant to help avoid a flat head at the back which is quite a common occurrence as babies spend so much time lying on their backs. My DS loved tummy time but lots don't. As someone else said, it's not the end of the world if they don't like it.
A good tip from our baby yoga teacher was to lie down yourself on your back and lie the baby on top of your tummy or legs so they don't feel abandoned.

roastpotatoes Sun 06-Jan-13 23:31:02

Officially started preparing for the baby this weekend - spurred on by you lovely ladies and the great lists. We have painted the 'nursery', ordered some curtains and made a start buying some bits and pieces for the little one. So very excited!

mwncigirl Sun 06-Jan-13 23:31:12

A quick hello before I am asleep! We loved our moby wrap and strongly recommend them.

Night night! sad

10storeylovesong Mon 07-Jan-13 06:47:24

Just quickly marking my place...

It's poor scooby that's stuck doing those awful hours - I've been really fortunate with mine so feel that's something I can't grumble about!

Zorra Mon 07-Jan-13 06:48:00

I had a Moby with DS but could never work out how to use it! I suspect that a sling is essential for the baby&toddler combination, so will put a bit more effort into it this time.

GeordieCherry Mon 07-Jan-13 08:48:46

I fancy a sling as well, so thanks for the suggestions!
I'm going to go to NCT & as for a practise smile

Eep, nervous/ excited for our scan

It's going to be a shock to the system going back to work tomorrow!

PandaOnAPushBike Mon 07-Jan-13 11:03:09

Tummy time didn't exist when my daughter was a baby. She's 19 now and has just started university. She manages to hold her head up ok grin

GeordieCherry Mon 07-Jan-13 11:13:56

Hope your scan goes well today Beaver!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now