Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

paolocee Thu 03-Jan-13 22:49:13

Just marking our spot. Another scan tomorrow.
12w0d.

flyingsprocket Thu 03-Jan-13 22:51:26

Didn't realise we had so many teachers in our midst!

Mizar Fri 04-Jan-13 00:25:27

Sorry for going completely off topic, but I wondered if any of those with DCs already had any advice / views on NCT classes?

The hospital itself seemed to offer a couple of preparation classes themselves and when I mentioned NCT the midwife looked a bit sniffy (could have been imagining it of course!).

So I am sitting here totally unsure of what to do. confused

To NCT or not? And if so, are the evening sessions or weekend sessions the better option? I'm thinking the weekend ones would be more convenient but maybe you wouldn't get a chance to bond with the other mums-to-be to the same extentt? And is it definitely a good idea to have a course that includes a breastfeeding session if you want to breastfeed or is that just a bonus?

Argh! If I am having such a hard time on this, I dread to think how I'll cope with the buggy decision...

Any "been there done that" advice much appreciated!

12+3

SlouchingPanda Fri 04-Jan-13 07:00:16

Great to see all the 12 week scan de-lurkers joining us - congratulations and hello!

Top detective work, CottonSock wink - I am indeed a healthcare professional - don't really want to elaborate for fear of outing myself but I'm not unfamiliar with maternity care! Need to work on my disguise! Feels very weird being on the 'other side' having my first.

Mizar I could have written your exact post as I am thinking about NCT too. The weekend classes seem more time efficient in getting it all done, but think we will opt for evening sessions spread over a few weeks. Like you, I think it will be a better way to get to know the group which is one of the main reasons to do it for me. Will be interested to hear what others think who have done them.

And whoever mentioned itchy nipples, I hear you! These bad boys are driving me crazy...

13+1

wifey6 Fri 04-Jan-13 07:17:33

Excellent to hear great scan news & welcome newbies! July is really filling up now smile

14+0

Tashtastic Fri 04-Jan-13 07:53:28

Hi everyone,
We had our 12 week scan yesterday all good so far - they have put my due date back a couple of days so I'll change my entry on the list when I'm on a computer. Congrats to everyone for good scans too.

Regarding NCT classes..... We did them. I quite liked them. DP hated them. A lot of it was boring and repetitive but it was a great way to meet other mums-to- be who live nearby. I am still good friends with many of them and ds is 2.5.

We did the evening classes for 8 weeks.I didn't actually do much bonding with other mums during the classes because the teacher did a lot of talking so I am not sure if it makes a difference if you do evening or weekend classes. Most of the bonding we did as a group was once the babies arrived!

Having said all of the above my cousin did her antenatal classes at the hospital and met lots of other mums and is still friends with them and she didn't have to pay and didn't have to sit through 16 hours of classes.....

VinegarDrinker Fri 04-Jan-13 08:25:41

Re NCT classes, we found them invaluable for making local friends. I didn't find them particularly useful for content (I'm also a HCP in maternity, hi panda), but my DH did. We all live within walking distance and
it has been great to have that local support especially as hardly any of our friends have children.

We did the weekend course because of my shifts, but most of the 'bonding' as a group was done after over weekly coffee and cake. We still see each other every couple of weeks, nearly 2 years on and the kids get on really well. In fact they are all coming over at 10 so I should drag my arse off the sofa and hoover!

CitizenOscar Fri 04-Jan-13 08:47:44

Ok, re NCT classes, there are frequent threads about them on MN because they seem expensive & people have variable experiences. Here's mine:

- they've been brilliant for making friends BUT I've also made friends other ways (playgroups, postnatal yoga courses, sling meets etc). NCT is v popular in my area & I've heard people say they felt left out if they hadn't got "an NCT group" to hang out with as everyone else did. But if you make the effort you can definitely make friends other ways.

- practical info & preparation: our classes were excellent for this. The teacher was realistic about eg the length of time labour can take, pain relief, caesarians, as well as what the postnatal experience might be like (some non-Nct friends found that period a shock), how partners can be most supportive.

- did the evening course which was a big time commitment but gave us time to think & discuss between sessions. I think we bonded most once the babies were born, though, really. DH did find it a bit of a drag after a hard day at work! The DPs never really bonded but the women did v quickly once babies arrived.

- breastfeeding class definitely worth it, although my group complained about ours because the teacher (different teacher from the main classes) was quite dismissive & unrealistic (said BF should never hurt if you're doing it right - I found it did hurt til my body adjusted). But even so, the classes were great for exploring the different positions you might use to stay comfortable while BF etc.

Erm... Was that all the questions?! We also did hypnobirthing (before our Nct classes) and found them v useful. Can say more if anyone's interested (epic post already so won't witter on any more!)

CottonSock Fri 04-Jan-13 08:57:10

Well it's good to know we have professional advice at hand smile *Panda and others (and mums)

Re NCT I signed up already and paid a deposit yesterday. Perhaps a bit hasty, but was a rainy day job over christmas. I had signed up for the NHS one, but wil cancel that.

Started looking at baby stuff on web last night. Crikes, so many decisions to make. I will save my questions for further down the line.

Brilliant news yesterday Shiv. What a total relief.

flyingsprocket Fri 04-Jan-13 09:29:57

Woo hoo, just booked in our first scan for next Friday- exciting! My NHS scan isn't until I'm 13+6 so impatience got the better of me.

Happy Friday Everyone

10+3

Cheeseandbread Fri 04-Jan-13 09:40:44

I was thinking about NCT too. I think we might do it DH hates forced social situations I think it would be good for us to meet local people having babies as we don't have any friends near by with kids.

As I mentioned before I'm a bit nervous about telling work that I'm pregnant. How did anyone else do it? Or how are you planning on doing it?...

"I've got something I need to tell you..."
"I've got some rather exciting news for me --not for you--"

I'm clueless...

BB01 Fri 04-Jan-13 09:40:51

Totally awesome news, Shiv!! Must be such a relief. I know it was for me when I'd had bleeding and major worries.

Persuasion, it sucks being ill when you can't dose up on Lemsip! Are you sure you can't have a day or two off? Can make all the difference in getting better faster.

I am soooo impatient for a bump even though I know that by time LO arrives will have had more than my fill of being big! Can defo see it a bit when wear tight things but could equally just have a big belly (although am slim everwhere else so maybe more obvious) but otherwise not really detectable. My lady bits (up above!) however, are a diff matter...have one of the flattest chests in the country and for the first time ever may need to buy a properly supportive bra! To be fair I may only go from AA to A but they already feel huge to me!!!

Cheeseandbread Fri 04-Jan-13 09:41:33

Any advice appreciated. Thanks

MightBeMad Fri 04-Jan-13 09:47:15

Cheese I have no idea how to tell mine. I only went back from mat leave in October. Dreading it as they aren't going to be pleased blush

MightBeMad Fri 04-Jan-13 09:49:17

Part of me wants to get it out of the way ASAP after my scan next week though (all being well of course).

OhGood Fri 04-Jan-13 09:51:41

Yay shiv that's great news! I am sooo not keeping up with the thread. Nizar my NCT classes were useless in terms of content but I made some brilliant friends and we still get together regularly - our DCs are all nearly 3 now and have known each other all their little lives, which is v sweet.

dinkystinky Fri 04-Jan-13 09:56:36

Morning all. Re NCT classes - they are good for making new mum friends locally and the coffee mornings after the babies are born will fell like a life saver for you. I did NCT for DS1 but not for DS2 and wont for this baby either. The breastfeeding classes are well worth doing and getting details of peer supporters and bf clinics in your local area is definitely worth doing. It is something totally new for you so the more you learn on it - if you want to bf that is - the better.

I did hypnobirthing before DS2's birth and will do a refresher some time over easter for this birth as i found that more useful for birth than the NCT classes.

Also worth thinking who you want to be your birth supporters - with DS1 it was just DH and I, for DS2 I had a doula as well who was great - v calm and reassuring.

Thundercatz Fri 04-Jan-13 10:14:19

Hi everyone! I've been quiet but catching up on the thread. Can't believe how quickly time is now going although after an initial slow start; although I am also impatient to grow my bump as opposed to just having a newly chubby bloated belly!
cheese I'm also nervous about telling work and really just want to get it over with. Had my scan just after Xmas but then my boss was off and then I've been unwell so it still hasn't happened.. So it wil have to now be Monday... But ive now been scheduled for a cvs on Tuesday so need to take time off for that straight after telling work... Not ideal...
I'm planning on saying "I have some news... I'm pregnant." and taking it from there..

On a separate note has anyone else had/ having CVS? I'm a bit nervous...

CottonSock Fri 04-Jan-13 10:34:43

cheese I am having sleepless nights about it, and my boss already knows. Need to bite the bullet, so planning to tell collegues today today, but I may chicken out. No idea what I will say.

Cheese it was like ripping a plaster off - just asked him for a quick word and i think i just said 'So I'm pregnant...' Couldn't think of anything profound to say, but he was great about it. Now I'm nervous about telling other colleagues tomorrow, that'll be the more awkward one!

Currently sitting in hospital waiting room waiting to take bloods after a good scan grin Didn't drink enough water so took ages, but it's fine and looks like a real baby now rather than the jelly bean with a heartbeat like at early scan. Plus I'm a week further on than they told me at early scan, closer to the end smile

12+4

Devilforasideboard Fri 04-Jan-13 11:07:56

cheese Slightly different situation but my boss has known since before I even got pregnant as we had IVF so I had explained what was happening in case I needed time off etc. I told him I was pregnant pretty much as soon as I found out as I needed a risk assessment due to the nature of my job. I just said 'so...the IVF worked then'! He was delighted bless him. Everybody who knows (I told a few people after my 9 week scan) has been absolutely brilliant including the head of department. I've been able to have some sensible conversations about how they deal with my maternity cover etc as well. I'm going back full time so from their point of view I guess it's easier than if I wanted to go part-time etc. Is there anything specific you're worried about?

photographerlady Fri 04-Jan-13 11:12:11

Anyone offer a little comfort or a slap? After 6 weeks straight of horrible nausea I am now completely back to normal. I have to say I can't help to be freaked out. My scan is next Wednesday and I'm 12w 1d but not a bit of nausea in sight. Anyone else feeling surprisingly good?

dinkystinky Fri 04-Jan-13 11:17:20

Thundercatz - might be worth posting on the pregnancy board for peoples experiene of CVS. Its a pretty common procedure nowadays - maybe the HCPs under the radar on this thread can help put your mind at rest.

Photographerlady - welcome to the second trimester grin

elliejjtiny Fri 04-Jan-13 11:46:24

I did NHS classes with DS1. I thought they were great but DH hated them. There was one couple where the DH was a farmer and he was getting really interested and telling the midwife what bits were different with cows while his wife gave him dagger looks. I thought it was worth going just for that grin. In my area you're only allowed to go to NHS classes if it's your first DC so with DS2 and DS3 I went to a surestart breastfeeding group and with DS3 I went to a surestart new mums group to meet other mums with babies the same age. Surestart have banned older siblings from the breastfeeding group since I had DS3 though so I'll be hoping that some people from my toddler group have babies at the same time.

Is anyone thinking about their DP/DH getting the snip after babies are born. We are thinking about it as this will be DC4 and my second pregnant on the pill experience in 13 months but it seems so final and I'm nervous for DH. Daft really because it's not like he will have to push a grapefruit out of his bum grin.

14+0

Persuasion Fri 04-Jan-13 12:20:58

I'm also an undercover healthcare worker but totally unrelated to maternity so know nothing! I go into all my appointments saying yes I am an "X" but I know nothing about obstetrics!

cotton because of work I had to have a risk assessment immediately, much like others it was "I have something to tell you...I'm pregnant" and took it from there. I found everyone really supportive so try not to worry too much (although I know it won't be like that for everyone)

We"re thinking of NHS antenatal classes, and maybe an NCT postnatal groyp which looks quite good. Has anyone tried the postnatal groups before?

This thread is not accepting new messages.