Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 03-Jan-13 17:34:05

Could someone add me to the list please for 18th July? Thanks

Persuasion Thu 03-Jan-13 17:42:51

dinky unfortunately ginger and lemon tea used to be my favourite but since being pg it makes me sick! The rest is good advice though. To be honest I feel better just for getting to moan. I tried moaning at my mom but she always has whatever I habve but worse, not what I wanted to hear!

Devil I am also amazed at how comfy maternity clothes are, why are all clothes not like this??

This is my first DC so I don't have others to tell, but am loving the range of reactions, it seems to vary between elation and despair!

trickybarmby Thu 03-Jan-13 18:05:21

god its just one thing after another with this pregnancy! now is the turn of hideous headaches sad
we've not told the boys yet, waiting to show them the scan picture I think, I darent tell them any earlier but 4yo keeps telling me I look like I have a baby in my tummy, husband laughs and 7yo says it's a food baby and husband laughs even more! x

ArkadyRose Thu 03-Jan-13 18:08:34

Persuasion I've gone down with OH's cold and yes, it's brought my MS back too - I had to get OH to cook the mince for the chili last night, as the smell of it whilst cooking made me want to throw up. I was OK once the meat was actually cooked though. Mostly I've been feeling exhausted and "thinking through cotton wool" all day. OH has been working from home whilst DD3 is still off school so I can sleep it off as much as possible, which does help.

Cutandstick Thu 03-Jan-13 18:43:50

Congratulations shiv such good news!! grin

Thanks slouching for that link, been reading it gradually all afternoon, and will definitely have to pass it to DP who seems to think we need all sorts of random shit unnecessary gubbins! Having DC1 is a minefield - I've been reading buggy review sites, and they comment about 'as I have long thin babies this works well'... I have no idea what I'll have!!!

AmaDablam Thu 03-Jan-13 18:45:17

Really great news on the scan supershiv, so glad everything seems to be OK. Welcome too to all the de-lurkers, the group seems to have doubled in size over the last few days grin

Managed to get through the first day back at work, somehow. As I'm now sporting a very modest bump-ette (still easily hidden under the right clothes) I did attempt to pop into the M&S sale at lunchtime to see if they had any decent maternity stuff....and came straight out again. It just made me feel sick and dizzy, plus I just couldn't bring myself to take the plunge until after my scan next week. Oh well, looks like it will be leggings and baggy tops for a few more days then...

Hope everyone with colds is feeling better soon. I had a bad one around week 6, fortunately before the MS had really kicked in, but I know it felt horrible not to be able to take any of the usual remedies and it really took it out of me. I found hot Ribena helped, and you can put honey and lemon in that, which might be OK even if those things on their own make you feel icky.

11+4

Cheeseandbread Thu 03-Jan-13 18:46:28

Supershiv and twinkle glad you had good scans.

I went to look at some pushchairs in mothercare today- they looked like monsters. I'll need to do more research before we buy... Liking the advice from others.

On a random note has anyone else got itchy boobs nipples in particular? Couldn't sleep last night it was so bad.

Not looking forward to going back to school on Monday as I feel generally exhausted at the mo. looking forward to the glowing stage of pregnancy I fear this may be a myth

11+3

Yay to all the good scans smile Mine is tomorrow morning and I'm suddenly freaking out as we already told most family members at Xmas due to 7 week scan being ok. No reason to think anything's wrong as still feel sick and no bleeding, but can't help worrying.

Cheese I'm also totally dreading going back on Monday, can't face doing any planning and have spent most of the week lounging around feeling sorry for myself and doing pushchair research, where am I going to get the energy for my 33 little devils angels? confused

Oh I also meant to say Cheese, I also have had itchy boobs in the last few days - don't make my mistake and scratch them. Ouchy. I also can't sleep as insanely thirsty at night, making me need the toilet all the time.
Oh the joys of pregnancy envy
PLEASE let the wonderful 2nd trimester not be a myth grin

Cutandstick Thu 03-Jan-13 20:00:33

Hey cheese and guavas been in the classroom last two days trying to sort it out - exhausted already and not even started planning... DREADING it. Wish we could wear leggings or jeans to work, against our dress code, pain in the bum! Ahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!

hello, happy new year!. i have been m.i.a. for ages as knocked out with chest infection and xmas. i am so pleased with everybody who has got a positive scan and so sad for bessie and the others.
guava i have my scan on monday and am bricking it a little too as my mil told everyone she knew about the baby (even though told her not to). makes me have a cold sweat the thought of having all those people i don't know knowing if something goes wrong. on the plus side i am really looking forward to seeing fingers and toes.
this is very much in advance, did any of you who have 3 or more have to be induced for first 2 and not for 3rd? having watched obem has sprung to the forefront of my mind!

Twinklestarstwinklestars Thu 03-Jan-13 20:10:06

The itching is maybe from stretching, my boobs seem to have been ok so far but I went from a b cup to a g cup with ds1 then only ever went back to an e/f cup so already got plenty of stretch! My legs are on fire every night though and oddly any bubble bath/shower gel makes me itch at the moment, going to mention it to the consultant when I go on the 14th.

twinkle, i think shower gels are a bit drying, having been having more success with my christmas present 'mother's bath oil' from neils yard. v oily and possibly moisturising. remember the itchy nipples first pregnancy. have scratchy bump already so maybe bath oil not working so well...

Wow Cutandstick I'm impressed at you going in to sort it out! I left it in a state before Xmas, will have to get some kids to take down the decorations and tidy up - the joys of KS2 grin
shock at not being able to wear leggings - everyone does at ours and it's been my staple since bloating started at 8 wks. I also ended up with black skinny jeans and uggs for the last few wks, our HT piles on the pressure with results and paperwork but at least the dress code is lax grin

flyingsprocket Thu 03-Jan-13 20:30:30

Thanks cut and panda for info about consultant. I had major surgery last in 2011 that I didn't think would be a factor but maybe they're just being cautious. I'm all for cautiousness in medical practitioners!! It would have been nice to have had a heads up from the midwife though.

Shiv delighted your scan went well. I think my mum is more impatient about my late scan than I am- she's just dying to tell everyone!

Cheeseandbread Thu 03-Jan-13 20:36:15

twinkle I have had itchy legs too... Thanks for the bath oil tip.

guava I have been itching boobs and nipples but have just smothered myself in coco butter so hoping that will help. My classroom is also in a mess- I'm going in tomorrow to do some sorting and planning... Good luck for your scan tomorrow!

cutandstick you make me feel bad for not having gone in already. Well done you!

I have our nativity to deal with then we go back as it was postponed at the end of term due to all the kids being ill. I wear leggins under dresses but no uggs allowed sadly. Feel a bit excited/nervous about telling HT and others that I'm pregnant on Monday...

VinegarDrinker Thu 03-Jan-13 21:19:44

Hi, I'm a MN newbie & thread incomer smile I've been lurking on this thread since getting my BFP but only just got a working computer! 14+2 today with DC2, DS is 22 months so looking at a 2y 4m gap.

Feeling absolutely foul with constant nausea, dizziness and exhaustion but it's just starting to ease a little so can just about see the light at the end of the tunnel! Scan before Christmas - all looking good.

Will c&p the list and add myself.

Thinkingof4 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:19:47

Great to hear about the positive scans, and good luck for those with one coming up.
princessllama I was induced for first two but went into labour myself with no3. Hoping for the same again this time.
I'm also a big OBEM fan and was good to see two quite straight forward deliveries last night, the last series seemed to be almost all epidurals and instrumental deliveries!! It makes me cry every week without fail, whether I am pg or not!

VinegarDrinker Thu 03-Jan-13 21:21:59

Just adding myself

CottonSocks - 1st July
QuinandThem - 1st July
Badgerwife - DC2 - 1st July
Cutandstick - 2nd July
Runswithsquirrels - 2nd July
Thinkingof4- DC4 -2nd July
VinegarDrinker - DC2 - 2nd July
Persuasion - 3rd July
esme80 - 3rd july
Glup - 3rd July
BB01 - 4th July
Dinkystinky - DC3 - 4th July
elliejjtiny - 4th July
wifey6 - 5th July
Notprincesskate - DC2 - 5 July
OhGood - 5th July
PenguinsInThePantry - 5th July
marmitemad DC2 - 6th July
Gingerpanther27 - 7th July
TheQueensChristmasDinner - DC5 - 7th July
Abzs - DC1 - 7th July
Efme - 8th July
GeorgieWilson - 9th July
shelley72 - 9th July
Devilforasideboard - 10th July
Calmisthemantra - 11th July
Specialknickers - 11th July
Emblosion - 12th July
mysterymeg - 12th July
Princessllama - DC3 - 12th July?
SlouchingPanda - 12th July
Thundercatz - 12th July
Twirliedobbit - DC4 - 12th July
MrsMillions - DC1 - 13th July
Hai1988 - 14th July
LittleFlower888 - 14th July
Tashtastic - 14th July
Lizincornwall - 15th July
Mizar - 15th July
Guavasforbreakfast - DC1 - 16th July
paolocee/donna - 17th July
Supershiv1 - DC1 - 17th July
missmaybe - 18th July
MrsWildermac - 18th July
photographerlady - 18th July
GingerJulep - DC1 - 19th July
Niktasha - 19th July
whitedaffodil - 19th July
orangebubbles - DC2 - 20th July
Thinking positive thoughts - 20th July
AmaDablam - DC1 - 21st July
Beaditsback - DC2 - 21st July
butterflyexperience - 22nd July
Cheeseandbread - DC1 - 22nd July
BadMissM- DC2- 22nd July
Isitme1 - 23rd July
MightBeMad - 23rd July
ArkadyRose - 24th July
Boostar - 24th July
Cantreachmytoes - 24th July
Grannyapple - 24th July
Camb79 - 25th July
Sashabella0 - 25th July
MrsRoss26 - 26th July
BoyMeetsWorld - 27th July
marimama - 27th July
YikesHereWeGo - 27th July
Flyingsprocket - 31st July
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus - Unknown

Supershiv1 Thu 03-Jan-13 21:22:15

Boobs!
I thought I was normally a 36 or 38B. I went and got measured properly today.
I came out as a 36DD or 34E! I kid you not!
I think I have been wearing the wrong size for years regardless of pg.
I made her write it down as I didn't believe. They were 'fantasie' bras - quite expensive really.
Am not shelling out just yet though.

dinkystinky Thu 03-Jan-13 21:36:05

Those with itchy bodies - pregnancy can make your skin extra sensitive. Moisturise well - I use body oil after showers which helps seal in moisture and keep itching at bay.

Welcome recent delurkers - please add yourself and your due date to the list up thread. Hurray for more good scans too.

Princess - only on dc3 but induced with ds1 at 42 weeks, gave birth to ds2 in fast water birth at 38 weeks. Am hoping Dc3's birth is like Ds2's!

Shelley - we told our 6 year old and 3 year old. Ds2 is delighted and wants a little sister. Ds1 is resigned and wants a little brother but one less annoying than Ds2...

dinkystinky Thu 03-Jan-13 21:37:38

Shiv - wait till you see what size you end up with at the end. I remember looking at Ds1 and pitying him being faced with boobs that were bigger than his head!

Cheeseandbread Thu 03-Jan-13 21:43:08

Princess just realised it was you who recommended bath oil, silly me.

Just watched OBEM on 4OD- has me crying every time. It's the first one I've watched since being pregnant though... Bit strange.

CottonSock Thu 03-Jan-13 22:19:45

Wore my new maternity trousers today, so much more flattering than my 'fat pants', although bump did look bigger. Had a stupid sleepness night thinking about telling people at work. Seem to have a thing about it. Might bite the bullet and tell a few people tm after midwife appt in morning.

On the subject of bras, a special topic of mine being an awkward size - about 30E or F normally. I got some bigger ones in December and they were too tight within days blush. Tried today bra extender straps and they work a treat. Dead cheap on Amazon.

Panda are you an undercover Dr/ midwife / nurse. You speak with real knowledge so I wondered.

I am going to ask midwife about my theories for my huge bump 1. I am a short arse so less room. 2. tilted uterus (read that one on google, but think I do have). 3. too many chocolate tuffles (prob the real reason). Hope it slows down or it will be bigger than me!!!

15+3

I also just watched OBEM on 4OD, like Cheese first time since being pregnant, def a bit weird watching it now...

This thread is not accepting new messages.