Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 25-Jan-13 12:22:58

Hey Highlander, hope the sickness isn't to bad for you.

Eek, I get my first scan today, It's late at 14 weeks but I was booked in late due to no appointments.

Very nervous excited

MummyKanny Fri 25-Jan-13 12:40:03

Eek good luck AllYoursBabooshka! I had mine a week late at 13 weeks because I was on holiday at 12 weeks so had got myself pretty worked up too. It is the most incredible feeling, I alternated between laughing in amazement and crying with happiness. Don't allow the sonographer to rush you - have a good look at the little bubba playing around!

Hope it goes really well! smile

AllYoursBabooshka Fri 25-Jan-13 12:52:19

Aww, thanks Kanny. smile Did your scan go well?

I am worried about them rushing me a bit, the appointment at 4:45. I always found late appointments were over slightly "quicker" the last time round.

I can remember one doctor actually turned the lights off an stood at her door while I was still buttoning up my trousers. grin

MummyKanny Fri 25-Jan-13 12:55:37

No way! That's hilarious. I had to ask the lady not to stop because we were still having a good look. She didn't seem very pleased but I didn't care!

Scan seemed to go well, thanks. All seems to be okay so far. I can't wait for the next one!

Hello Highlander and MummyKanny!

AmaDablam Fri 25-Jan-13 15:22:27

Hello!

Lots seems to have happened in the past few days since I had a chance to check in - welcome to all the newbies!

I've just had a quick scroll through and can't remember all the topics but sorry to hear paulo's DW has been feeling rough and BadMissM has been having problems with work. Very sorry to hear Yikes/someday's news as well.

My yoga and pilates DVD's arrived today smile. Don't worry esme I promise I won't blame you if I don't like the yoga one! Typically, my lower back pain seems to have gone away by itself, simply by following DH's advice (so annoying when he's right!!) of not spending so much time slouched on the sofa. Still, a bit of yoga/pilates can only be good for me, so plan to give it a go over the weekend.

Also, a big day in a small way, in that I wore my first item of maternity clothing! OK so it doesn't really look particularly like a maternity top, and it doesn't exactly make me look pregnant...but that's what it says on the label so I feel like I've made progress. Also put on 3lb this week. I know I'm going to need to slow that down a bit, but at the moment I'm celebrating as it actually means I've surpassed my pre-pregnancy weight by about a pound - about time!

14+5

photographerlady Fri 25-Jan-13 15:26:30

Congrats on the wardrobe AmaDablam. I bought some maternity jeans from next, both pairs are awful. I keep having to pull them up. Whats the point of stretchy waist if the stretchy bit folds down and weighs down the trousers. I think I need to get a few dresses this weekend and ditch the jeans.

AmaDablam Fri 25-Jan-13 15:50:33

Hmm, I've not gone as far as looking at maternity jeans yet, but I do find it a bit hard to get my head around how they actually work, and your post has just confirmed my general suspicion of them photographer. At the moment I'm still fine in normal leggings/tights or jogging bottoms and I think I may graduate to maternity versions (or just bigger sizes) of those as the need arises and manage without jeans for the duration.

cheekbyjowl Fri 25-Jan-13 16:04:56

Hello from me

Im enjoying reading this. Also due in july (16+2) and looking.forward to seeing a bump and feeling a.kick. Still doesn't seem real so I read these threads to remind myself smile

We didn't tell anyone till after the first scan. I'm pleased we didn't as we we're worried before the.scan and it felt good to share a pic of a healthy baby

I don't have a bump but my waistline is less defined. I really like the jeggings from warehouse. They are elasticated but still stylish would recommend x

dinkystinky Fri 25-Jan-13 16:08:51

Welcome new joiners - scroll up, find the last list and copy and paste adding yourselves and your due dates in.

dinkystinky Fri 25-Jan-13 16:11:28

Also - we're fast running out of thread space. Anyone care to do the honours in starting the next thread?

MightBeMad Fri 25-Jan-13 16:18:22

Welcome all the newbies!!!

On the subject of maternity jeans, if anyone actually finds any that are comfy AND stay up, please let me know!!!! Hoiking mine up every 5 seconds is wearing very thin already!

VinegarDrinker Fri 25-Jan-13 16:25:22

I tried one pair of under the bump jeans last time, couldn't get on with them at all. Then discovered over the bump ones (mine are from Dorothy P's I think, bizarre as I never shopped there before or since) and never looked back - Soooo comfy!

MiniPenguinMaker Fri 25-Jan-13 16:40:19

Hello ladies!

On the maternity jeans front, I picked up a fabulous pair of over-the-bump maternity skinny jeans at Mothercare the other day in the sale. They were £40, which seemed really expensive to me at the time, but they are great. The brand is called Reform Jeans and you can take out the over-the-bump stitching after you give birth and use them as normal jeans.

MiniPenguinMaker Fri 25-Jan-13 16:44:17

I always forget to add my dates! Gosh, it's quite scary how quickly it's all going...

15+1

dinkystinky Fri 25-Jan-13 16:58:37

Mightbe - I love, love, love my Seraphine under bump ones - wear with a belt for early pregnancy/small bump days and without towards the end.

elliejjtiny Fri 25-Jan-13 17:08:07

Welcome newbies and I hope everyone with scans today had good ones.

After all my talk about hardly telling anyone I ended up confessing all to a complete stranger today so I could ask her about the moby sling she was using without sounding like a mad sling stalker grin.

With DS2 I ended up wearing dungarees a lot, while not very glamourous, at least I could go and fish DS1 out of ball pools etc without worrying that my jeans would fall down! Just ordered some new bras and tops from mothercare and I've got a belly belt thing so I can hopefully wear my normal jeans all the way through although I haven't needed that yet.

17+0

CottonSock Fri 25-Jan-13 17:20:31

My jeans were £7 in sale from Dorethy Perkins, under bump and stay up well. Annoyingly the store no longer stocks maternity in Cardiff, only online and BHS has just closed down. Got loads there last year...
My work trousers are over bump from Mothercare, very nice material but were £40. They have some for £20, but felt horrid to me. Dont think I will want over bump if it's a hot spring / summer (forever hopeful)

esme80 Fri 25-Jan-13 17:27:44

Hi all and welcome everyone new!

I had under the bump last time till around 28 weeks I think, then went over bump as they got uncomfortable. Bought a new pair of overbump ones from h&m that I am in nw, quite slim fitting and they fit well. Not sure if they will fit till the last months, but then last time I only really wore leggings, dresses etc towards the end. Am planning on buying a maxi dress or two for summer and living in them...
I am 17+2 now and massive, obviously pregnant so hard not to just tell anyone I meet...

BadMissM Fri 25-Jan-13 17:43:13

Can't get on with jeans, pregnant or not...have an old-fashioned shape that doesn't fit jeans. Have occasionally had one pair that fit, and loved/wore them to death. Maternity jeans even worse, just feel wrong! Nowhere here but New Look stocks maternity clothes, so has to be online really...which adds to the problem, as can't try them on. In a town which has a stupid number of pregnancies, home of '16 Kids and Counting'.

Have bought (and am in) leggings, lots of my tops fine as like long, flowing, ones... have bought a couple of pg ones in the sales.

Persuasion Fri 25-Jan-13 18:20:46

Welcome to the new ladies, get yourselves on the list!

I'm 17+3 and in mat jeans (even though it's my first) but managing with non-maternity loose or empirel ine tops. This is my first, so I may change my mind later, but I think what suits depends a lot on your body shape. I expected to prefer overbump ones, but hated them, and love my under bump ones. I don't have any problems with them falling down, but I'm quite pear shaped, so my bum/hips seems to be holding them up! I can imagine if you were more apple shaped they would be a nightmare. Have people found this or am I making it all up?? grin

Welcome to all the newbies smile

Mightbe I got some under bump jeans and trousers from Gap which are quite good at the moment, nice and comfy and they stay up (and were on sale), but went down a size for the trousers as they are really generous in the thigh and bum area!

I'm very jealous of those whose DHs are going buggy testing with them. Mine still hasn't gone near a baby-related shop with me (first baby and I don't think it's quite real to him yet) and I've gotten everything so far! Then again I usually have to pull teeth to get him to go to ikea etc with me, maybe he just hates shopping.

I'm also really bad at taking vitamins recently (can't remember who was talking about this), I was only taking single vitamin d and folic acid ones due to ms, have run out and bought some pregnacare but it says only take on a full stomach - mine rarely is and don't want to make myself sicker.

Beginningofthejourney Fri 25-Jan-13 18:36:16

I love my over the bump maternity jeans I got them from peacocks only about £20 I think. I was forever hitching up my 'normal' jeans pre-pregnancy find maternity great, also got some leggings from there as I find normal leggings just make me look fat as they dig in bump making two halves of tummy! :-)
16+1, scan and midwife next week!

Oh, and unlike Persuasion I guess I'm sort of apple shaped, biggish boobs and broad shoulders with a non-existent bum/slimmer legs (lingering teenage insecurity... My best friend and I were once referred to as the 'pancake crew' hmm)
Hence Gap trousers being a bit big - but in a size down they're quite good. Long story short, try Gap if you have a silly bum like mine grin

Thinkingof4 Fri 25-Jan-13 18:59:49

Best maternity clothes I ever bought were my dungarees which were part of a bundle of stuff I got off eBay when pg with ds1! I totally recommend them, I never get on too well with maternity jeans. I'm not in them yet though, I still fit into some low slung normal jeans but I think I will give up this weekend and get all my maternity trousers out. For work I'm wearing dresses and tunics with either tights or leggings. It's so comfy I may have to get another pair if leggings. Mine are boden and are lovely, soft over bump ones, but can also be folded down with smaller bump. If Boden had started making maternity stuff when I was pg with ds1 I probably would have more of their stuff as it's lovely quality but it wasn't till pg with ds3 so couldnt really justify buying any more.

This thread is not accepting new messages.