Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

Thinkingof4 Wed 02-Jan-13 15:59:05

Happy New Year everyone! And welcome marmite and abzs
I'm still squeezing into my 'fat' jeans but wearing dresses at every opportunity as much comfier.
We have a bugaboo chameleon which has been in near daily use for almost 6 years now, it has excellent buggy board which will probably be used again when this one arrives.
We do have an excellent double buggy, the mountain buggy duet which is a side by side but only as wide as a normal single! Sounds impossible but it's narrower than my sisters phil and teds. I might use it for a short time when baby arrives but ds3 will be 2 by then and he's a great walker already so I'd be using it more for containment than necessity iyswim! Might just use bugaboo plus sling though. I have a moby sling which I find really comfy until baby is about 6months. We also have a macapac babycarrier but that's not suitable till baby is a bit bigger. Slings are great for offroad, as are both of my buggies esp the mountain buggy duet. It really is an awesome buggy, there will be some 2nd hand by now, it was just new when we got ours so we had to pay full price, but was by far best thin available at the time for what we needed.

14 weeks today!

BooStar Wed 02-Jan-13 15:59:51

Hi all, not been able to check in much over Xmas/NY but have had a quick skim read. So pleased for you oh good on your positive scan!! I've been thinking of you over Xmas.

On the subject of buggies/slings - we had a bugaboo chameleon which has been great but if we had our time again, I'd have got a three wheeler. We live in the New Forest and so do lots of muddy forest walks and the bugaboo coped but not as well as friends 3-wheelers. Also, to be honest we used a sling the majority of the time as well. We have a sleepy wrap, which my husband got on better with than me, all the material made me too hot. We also have a Mei tai which I love, but used more in the house and to get DS to sleep. And we had an ergo baby which I used loads up until DS was about 20 months. It was brilliant but when we bought it there wasn't as much choice in buckle carriers & there's a lot more choice now - if I was buying again I would be more inclined to look at 'olive & apple sauce' or a 'rose & rebellion' or 'kinderpack' - they're just gorgeous!
But I would definitely second the advice of seeking out a sling library - you great advice & to try out all sorts of slings before forking out your cash!

I've finally got my scan booked (after repeated lost referrals) in the 15th Jan - I'll be 12+6 by then and although it's less than 2 wks away it feels like ages!! But it's in the diary so that's better than not!

11+0

shelley72 Wed 02-Jan-13 16:31:08

thinkingof4 can i ask which buggy board you have for your bugaboo? we too went for the cameleon when expecting DS (6 this year) and its still fab and looks like new despite being taken out in all weathers.

Wondering what to do as DD will be 3 by the time baby arrives but either walks very slowly or just runs off - really not safe or practical for the school run. was thinking of getting a buggy board for her if baby has the bugaboo, although in reality i will probably end up with baby in a sling - had a babybjorn for DS which he hated and i never got on with (too structured and he wasnt close enough to me) and a ring sling for DD as it was the only way she would settle - she was very refluxy and hated being flat. i suppose i had better dig it out at some point and try and fathom it again!

PhieEl06 Wed 02-Jan-13 17:00:59

Hi all, just found this thread, expecting my very unexpected first baby on 22nd July. Extremely excited & wanted to find people who are at the same stage as me! grin

elliejjtiny Wed 02-Jan-13 17:16:42

Does anyone know if a moby sling is the same or better than a home made stretchy wrap? (and when I say home made I mean bought off the internet from someone who makes them).

I've bought my breastpump so a new sling is next on my shopping list. I have an ancient phil and teds buggy and an ergo baby carrier but I expect DS3 will sometimes use the ergo so I need a stretchy sling for the hopefully rare occasions when I will have DS3 on my back, DC4 on my front and DS2 in the wheelchair. I need to have some practice sessions with DS1 so that in the school holidays he can push the buggy and I can push the wheelchair as at the moment he struggles with kerbs and sometimes he forgets he's not a racing driver grin.

The only other thing on my list is a bigger car but that needs some negotiation as DH thinks we can manage with the one we've got.

We're having our babies this year gringringrin

13+5

BadMissM Wed 02-Jan-13 17:56:35

Yikes It was, and did you see the loos? I felt very scruffy! I'm back on the 14th for Nuchal....and results. I'm due 22 July as well...

Mightbemad I made a 600 mile round trip to go to the FMC, and feel a lot calmer already...just wish I could go there for everything. Also brilliant that the more people go, the quicker a machine will get funded for the NHS....

BadMissM Wed 02-Jan-13 17:58:36

Haven't got anything at all yet. Was too terrified that something would happen... Realised I made a typo in other post DD now 14, not 4! So have nothing from last time at all... At 45 didn't expect it to happen....

Sashabella0 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:03:12

Saw the midwife today. I'm 11 weeks exactly and similar to BooStar have my scan booked for 15th January after repeated lost referrals!

First baby for us after a successful IVF treatment. Can't believe how fast things are going. Already in maternity jeans!

Xx

Cutandstick Wed 02-Jan-13 18:05:57

Hi phie congratulations and welcome!

Beginningofthejourney Wed 02-Jan-13 18:22:57

Hi elliejjtiny don't know if you need it but there are some wheelchairs that have baby buggy attachments out there! Obviously wheelchair services both exactly advertise them, not sure if they would fund them but there are lots of charity's you could apply to if needed? (I work at a children's hospice so have seen info about them) My mum is trying to work out how to attach my bubba to my sister's wheelchair so she can take them out on her own, I suggested Velcro on her tray but she didn't look impressed with idea :-) sorry everyone else who has no interest in this topic :-)
If anyone reposts the list again could you add me I'm due on the 11th July can't do it on iPad! Thankyou
12w6d. X

esme80 Wed 02-Jan-13 18:29:27

ellie one dc on your back, one in front and pushing a wheelchair? Wow, your supermum! Now feel slightly silly at worrying about having 2 to take care of...

CitizenOscar Wed 02-Jan-13 18:34:50

Hi everyone. Finally de-lurking after my scan today. Baby looked amazing - spine & fingers & stomach & everything grin

I already have DS1, who is 18months old.

Have had stinky cold over Xmas, but hoping once that clears up, and nausea goes away, I'll be a bit more perky!

I had a Moby sling last time but never quite got on with it - it was v hot when dS1 was born - got on better with the Babyhawk once he was 7weeks old. Am also aiming for buggy-board/sling option rather than double-buggy. Will see how realistic that is!

Due 10 July, so 13+1 I think. Am on phone so can't add myself to list right now.

butterflyexperience Wed 02-Jan-13 19:36:29

Hi Phie, I'm also due in the 22nd with my dc3.
How have you been feeling? X

AmaDablam Wed 02-Jan-13 19:42:05

Hi everyone, Happy New Year!

Just checking in after a few days away and trying to catch up on everyone's news. So happy for ohgood that your follow up scan was positive and keeping everything crossed for similar good news for supershiv tomorrow.

Everything still seems OK with me, and I'm hoping the fact that I continue to feel pretty awful is a sign that the little one is thriving nicely. MS has abated slightly but is still very much there and I feel soooo tired at the moment, I seem to have done nothing but sleep the last few days. Fortunately we had decided to tell the people we were away with, otherwise I'm sure they would have thought I was the laziest person going! I was determined not to miss New Year itself though, and coped by going to bed for a couple of hours and getting up again at 11.30!

Dreading going back to work tomorrow, but on the plus side my scan is only a week away smile which also means only 4 more days in the office of inventing excuses for everything from my sudden and mysterious tea aversion to looking like I haven't slept in weeks grin

11+3

notprincesskate Wed 02-Jan-13 19:42:18

Welcome newbies, and great news for all the positive scan stories over last few days.
ellie I had a moby wrap for DD can't really see how it would be better than a homemade one, as it was literally just a really long piece of stretchy fabric, DD loved it when she was very small, but I just found it too much of a faff to tie when I was out, as long the fabric washed ok and didn't over stretch I doubt there would be much difference except the price probably!.
13+3

MrsMillions Wed 02-Jan-13 19:44:41

Well it took 2 attempts as little one was wriggling too much for the sonographer to measure, but my scan went well. Got bumped up 2 days to 11th July, the date I originally thought...on phone so can't edit list right now. Have shared the news with more friends this evening and received some lovely responses, MIL has had to be restrained from the knitting until the next scan as it feels way too early to be stockpiling jumpers (especially for July!!), and I'll 'fess up to my suspicious colleagues tomorrow.

Congrats to everyone else with good scans, the rest of you have a treat to look forward to. Am also reading all the buggy/sling stuff with interest as this is our first.

12+6

flyingsprocket Wed 02-Jan-13 19:58:25

Hello newbies & congrats on even more good scans!

I got a letter today giving me an appointment with a consultant in Feb (after the nuchal test but before next midwife appointment) This is my first DC, am a bit confused & wondering why they want to see me! Anyone know for what reasons you may see a consultant?

Cutandstick Wed 02-Jan-13 21:32:32

Hi flying It could be a pre-existing medical condition related thing, they said at my booking in something about maybe consultant because of my asthma. Don't know if that helps?

Thinkingof4 Wed 02-Jan-13 21:39:32

shelley it was just the bugaboo one, but we got it 3GS hand off eBay so was quite cheap. Very strong and easy to push out of the way when not in use

trickybarmby Wed 02-Jan-13 22:59:46

Finally got my booking in appointment through, 11th Jan! By my calculations I'll be 11 weeks by then! Anyone any ideas how soon after my scan might be? X

dinkystinky Wed 02-Jan-13 23:25:44

Welcome Phie and CitizenOscar - copy and paste the date list up thread and add yourselves in.

Tricky - might be worth checking with midwife re scan date.

Went out for yummy Chinese and to take my parents to see Singing in the rain tonight - was excellent!

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 03-Jan-13 06:34:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MisselthwaiteManor Thu 03-Jan-13 06:36:39

Oops I copied someone else's post as well as the list blush

This is what I meant to post! :

Updating my due date on the list

CottonSocks - 1st July
QuinandThem - 1st July
Badgerwife - DC2 - 1st July
Cutandstick - 2nd July
Runswithsquirrels - 2nd July
Thinkingof4- DC4 -2nd July
Persuasion - 3rd July
esme80 - 3rd july
Glup - 3rd July
BB01 - 4th July
Dinkystinky - DC3 - 4th July
elliejjtiny - 4th July
wifey6 - 5th July
Notprincesskate - DC2 - 5 July
OhGood - 5th July
PenguinsInThePantry - 5th July
marmitemad DC2 - 6th July
Gingerpanther27 - 7th July
TheQueensChristmasDinner - DC5 - 7th July
Abzs - DC1 - 7th July
Efme - 8th July
GeorgieWilson - 9th July
shelley72 - 9th July
Calmisthemantra - 11th July
Specialknickers - 11th July
Emblosion - 12th July
mysterymeg - 12th July
Princessllama - DC3 - 12th July?
SlouchingPanda - 12th July
Thundercatz - 12th July
Twirliedobbit - DC4 - 12th July
MrsMillions - DC1 - 13th July
Hai1988 - 14th July
LittleFlower888 - 14th July
Tashtastic - 14th July
Lizincornwall - 15th July
Mizar - 15th July
Guavasforbreakfast - DC1 - 16th July
paolocee/donna - 17th July
Supershiv1 - DC1 - 17th July
missmaybe - 18th July
MrsWildermac - 18th July
photographerlady - 18th July
GingerJulep - DC1 - 19th July
Niktasha - 19th July
whitedaffodil - 19th July
orangebubbles - DC2 - 20th July
Thinking positive thoughts - 20th July
AmaDablam - DC1 - 21st July
Beaditsback - DC2 - 21st July
butterflyexperience - 22nd July
Cheeseandbread - DC1 - 22nd July
Isitme1 - 23rd July
MightBeMad - 23rd July
ArkadyRose - 24th July
Boostar - 24th July
Cantreachmytoes - 24th July
Grannyapple - 24th July
Camb79 - 25th July
Sashabella0 - 25th July
MrsRoss26 - 26th July
BoyMeetsWorld - 27th July
marimama - 27th July
YikesHereWeGo - 27th July
Flyingsprocket - 31st July
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus - Unknown

I had my scan on the 27th and it turns out I'm a few days ahead of where I thought I was, so currently 13+6. This is the first pregnancy where I've made it past 12 weeks and I can't believe it's finally happening, it was amazing to see the scan! There's a long way to go yet but I feel so positive about this one.

Good luck to everyone else who has scans coming up.

SlouchingPanda Thu 03-Jan-13 09:34:03

Flying, try not to worry. Women are referred to a consultant for a whole host of reasons: pre-existing medical conditions like asthma, diabetes, thyroid problems, high blood pressure, history of DVT, abdominal surgery; previous psychiatric issues; age at booking; BMI above a certain level... the list is v long. The reason may well have no impact at all on your antenatal care and you may only see them once or twice, with your care being 'shared' between the obstetrician and the MW. It's perhaps slightly lax of your MW not to tell you you could expect the referral though. When are you seeing the consultant?

BadMissM I have bought nothing either. I am doing a bit of research and making a mental wishlist, but I am so paranoid that something might go wrong that I will not be buying anything until at least 24 weeks thus missing out on loads of January sale bargains. There was a really useful thread in chat last night about stuff people bought and never used, and things they couldn't do without.

I had really bad cramping last night, but it seems to have settled today. No bleeding, so maybe just one of those things. Plenty of stretching growing and changing down there... I guess I can't expect it to be totally pain free!

13+0 today! Whoop - second trimester here I come!

SlouchingPanda Thu 03-Jan-13 09:44:18

Sorry - I always seem to write loads!

Here is the chat thread - may be useful for clueless people like me first timers...

This thread is not accepting new messages.