Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

July 2013 Part 3 - happy new year, happy new thread

(1000 Posts)
dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:39:03

Happy 2013 one and all!

dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 09:43:32

Esme - I am short but have tall babies (thanks to DH - judging by leg length on the scan this baby will be no different!) which is why I think the baby jogger city versa looks good - seems to deal with longer and heavier toddlers as well as babies with a carrycot.

emblosion Tue 01-Jan-13 10:18:07

Ha ha, Arkady icandys are v pricey, ours was about 300 second hand including carrycot, but it was "as new" and barely used. We wouldn't get that if we resold as its now well used, but the resale values are good! We used the carrycot for 3 months instead of a Moses basket so that was a saving too. I really do recommend them in terms of quality/comfort.

Saying that, we won't be shelling out that much this time - first time round everything had to be lovely, now I'm all about practicality!

emblosion Tue 01-Jan-13 10:23:15

Oh, and thanks for new thread dinky smile

13+6 today.

esme80 Tue 01-Jan-13 10:26:59

Thread 3 already!

Dinky I looked at the baby jogger city select looked good for same reason. Also can be used as double or single which is good...

Oh and forgot to say happy new year!

GingerJulep Tue 01-Jan-13 12:26:15

Happy New Year Everyone!

esme80 if you don't want to buy a dress for the wedding there are places that hire maternity dresses for special occasions - my sister had a stunning one for a black tie event at something like 7 months.

photographerlady Tue 01-Jan-13 13:48:31

So who has scans coming up? Mines on the 9th ;)

Odd thing this week my horrible never ending nausea has seemed to subside. I don't feel as bloated either and sleeping ok. Could it be that 11 weeks and I finally am enjoying this pregnancy?

flyingsprocket Tue 01-Jan-13 14:07:32

yikes I'm the same as you- only 10 weeks today. Scan not for almost 4 weeks. Can't believe you're all talking buggies! DP & I are so clueless, we had a brief conversation yesterday along the line of "what do they sleep in?" What about when you go away? Do they need buggies & prams?!

We were both in hysterics, it's such a new world for us. Hardly any of our friends have children either.

I have a wedding to go to at 20 weeks, have had a look in the online sales but have no clue how I'll look then so am just going to wait til closer to the time.

I've not a smidgen of a bump yet. Am very sporty & have a toned, flat stomach but every time I eat I get a massive food baby! Am really looking forward to showing.

Supershiv1 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:19:16

Flyingsprocket-I've been having the same convo's with DH.
In other news I went to A&E this am as still had bleeding when wiping and cramping has been more severe overnight.
The nurse was amazing and reassured me it was probably a break through bleed as I'd be due on now.
She also did a pg test and the pg hormones were strong. Blood pressure fine and no urine infection.
Feel so much better. Just need to take paracetamol for the cramps till Thursday scan.
I actually cried when she did the pg test and all was ok.

wifey6 Tue 01-Jan-13 14:25:21

Our 3rd thread already smile wow..we like to talk x grin

OhGood Tue 01-Jan-13 15:19:16

Happy new thread indeed - here's the list:

CottonSocks - 1st July
QuinandThem - 1st July
Badgerwife - DC2 - 1st July
Cutandstick - 2nd July
Runswithsquirrels - 2nd July
Thinkingof4- DC4 -2nd July
Persuasion - 3rd July
esme80 - 3rd july
Glup - 3rd July
BB01 - 4th July
Dinkystinky - DC3 - 4th July
elliejjtiny - 4th July
wifey6 - 5th July
Notprincesskate - DC2 - 5 July
OhGood - 5th July
Gingerpanther27 - 7th July
TheQueensChristmasDinner - DC5 - 7th July
Efme - 8th July
PenguinsInThePantry - 8th July
GeorgieWilson - 9th July
shelley72 - 9th July
Calmisthemantra - 11th July
Specialknickers - 11th July
Emblosion - 12th July
mysterymeg - 12th July
Princessllama - DC3 - 12th July?
SlouchingPanda - 12th July
Thundercatz - 12th July
Twirliedobbit - DC4 - 12th July
MrsMillions - DC1 - 13th July
Hai1988 - 14th July
LittleFlower888 - 14th July
Tashtastic - 14th July
Lizincornwall - 15th July
Mizar - 15th July
Guavasforbreakfast - DC1 - 16th July
paolocee/donna - 17th July
Supershiv1 - DC1 - 17th July
missmaybe - 18th July
MrsWildermac - 18th July
photographerlady - 18th July
GingerJulep - DC1 - 19th July
Niktasha - 19th July
whitedaffodil - 19th July
orangebubbles - DC2 - 20th July
Thinking positive thoughts - 20th July
AmaDablam - DC1 - 21st July
Beaditsback - DC2 - 21st July
butterflyexperience - 22nd July
Cheeseandbread - DC1 - 22nd July
Isitme1 - 23rd July
MightBeMad - 23rd July
ArkadyRose - 24th July
Boostar - 24th July
Cantreachmytoes - 24th July
Grannyapple - 24th July
Camb79 - 25th July
Sashabella0 - 25th July
MrsRoss26 - 26th July
BoyMeetsWorld - 27th July
marimama - 27th July
YikesHereWeGo - 27th July
Flyingsprocket - 31st July
SchroSawMummyRidingSantaClaus - Unknown

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 01-Jan-13 15:27:47

Supershiv fingers crossed for thurs, I've got a scan too and have been bleeding today but epau is full tomorrow and scan is on thurs anyway so will wait for that, I haven't had cramps though just bleeding on wiping. Midwife said to go to a &e if it gets worse before thurs. I had a scan at 9+6 and all was ok, and saw consultant yesterday and urine was clear so hope mine is breakthrough bleeding too.

Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 15:52:33

Hope everyone has had a good start to the yr.
Have been very busy with ds.
Hope all is well with everyone.
Ive moved up to 20th july so if anyone jas a free minute can you move me up please smile

Twinkle ive had 2 bleeds like that amd everything was fine thank God.
Im now 11+2 weeks
X

Twinklestarstwinklestars Tue 01-Jan-13 15:59:52

Isitme I had 3 bleeds with ds2 and all was fine, think I'm imagining stomach ache but I feel awful today anyway feel like I have a sinus infection and feel freezing and achy. Scan is at a different hospital to epau but the midwives i see are at scan hospital so will see what happens on thurs and see them if I need to.

ArkadyRose Tue 01-Jan-13 16:00:11

photographylady We're scan twins - mine's at 9:50am on the 9th!
yikes I'm at 10+6, but given how expensive most pushchairs/travel systems are, we have to start saving now if we're going to be able to afford something in reasonable condition second-hand. And really, you'll be surprised how fast the months go by. Mostly I'm looking to get an idea of budget - things seem to have gotten a lot more expensive even in the 5 years since I had DD3. Of course I didn't keep any of her stuff and gave away her pushchair a couple of years ago because at that point I was convinced I wouldn't be having any more kids!

Isitme1 Tue 01-Jan-13 16:17:28

Arkady I kept ds clothes and baby stuff like bouncers and thr jumperoo.
We still use his quinny as ds has special needs and can't cope in a crowd.
Ive got a babu carrier which I will ise for the new dc x

Cutandstick Tue 01-Jan-13 16:30:00

Happy new year to everyone!

Good luck on Thursday for supershiv and twinkle glad the nurse was nice at A &E shiv.
Congrats on your scan special
persuasion I've been maternity shopping in Milton Keynes, out of town there's quite a big mamas and papas- I took back a dress my mum got me for Christmas and promptly spent quite a bit of money - but have a couple of tops, and a skirt for work, and more jeans. I'm differently showing, but I'm not sure what is baby and what is belly! My cousin is 8 weeks ahead and only just showing now - though she has stomach muscles... And I don't! Not going to keep it quiet at work! Ah!

On the buggy front any recommendation for countryside buggies? We've not got much pavement round here, road, verge and towpath mainly. Looked at Quincy buzz, but the scary lady in mothercare couldn't put it down easily for love nor money! Help!
14+5

esme80 Tue 01-Jan-13 17:08:59

Ginger I hadnt even thought of renting a dress, thanks for that will look into it!

Im like arkady, want to get an idea of what to buddget for/what we need. Apart from pushchair think we dont need that much more, was going to use ds furniture and get ikea stuff for ds (any excuse to go...) have loads of boys clothes and if its a girl am still not getting more clothes, you get given a lot anyway.

I vary from showing a bit of a baby bump to being bloated and looking about 6 months!

Good luck to everyone with scans!

Wow the thread moves fast!
Glad to hear the mw was so reassuring shiv, will be thinking of you on thurs.
Cutandstick I've been looking at the Out 'n' about Nipper as a countryside pushchair, at around 260 it's much cheaper than most all terrain pushchairs i've seen, and a few websites are doing it closer to £200. Have only found good reviews for it too, except for a couple which applied to the old version and they've fixed those issues.

As for bump, I just look a bit thick round the middle, it seems bigger towards the end of the day so I'm guessing its still bloating. Can't bear tightness of my old trousers and jeans so am either in leggings or occasionally a pair of maternity jeans I bought very excitedly in the gap sale after my early scan.
Wasn't particularly fit before (NO stomach muscles to speak of) yet not chubby either. Can't wait for a decent little bump to show up so I finally feel like I'm progressing!
Somewhere between 11 and 12 weeks now.

CottonSock Tue 01-Jan-13 18:21:01

Marking place on new thread...

All the gear recommendations are great. When do these things tend to go in Sales? Anyone know if sales happen again in spring time?? I won't buy anything yet -but will start saving!

Happy new year too. just been on a long muddy walk smile

dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 18:22:52

Cutandstick - Quinny buzz three wheeler awful for rough terrain - the reason I got rid of it. Mountain buggy seems good for country walks from observing my non-townie friends. Out and about also good. City versa GT meant to be good for varied terrain but not an all terrain buggy.

Arkady - thanks for doing the link.

Supershiv so sorry you had another scare but glad nurse was lovely and reassured you.

I have a loft full of old baby clothes and maternity stuff I will be flogging after this baby - DH is looking forward to having some storage space freed up! We need new mattress, buggy, change mat and car seat but that's pretty much it. I look about 5 months pregnant already which is rather worrying!!

dinkystinky Tue 01-Jan-13 18:24:28

Cotton socks - best sales are now as new models of buggies and car seats come out and they try to get rid of old models. There are sales in the summer but reductions aren't as marked.

Beaditsback Tue 01-Jan-13 18:47:41

Happy New Year ladies. Just had a monster catch up and glad I'm not the only one with a big belly! I am bigger now than I was at 23 weeks with Ds. Been in maternity jeans for over a month as no chance my jeans would go on. Scan is on Monday and there's a lot of talk amongst family that it'll be me keeping the twins in the family..... Not sure what scares me most.... Multiples or one bigger than Ds was shock
Nausea has dropped off here which is a huge relief but I'm so, so tired in the afternoon I don't know how I'll cope when Dh is back at work tomorrow.

guava we had an Urbo for Ds and loved it! The wheels are not hardy though and did wear quickly with our general use so wouldnt recommend it on lots of rough ground. We had a three wheeler for off roading when he was a bit bigger.
Friends have offered us their Sola so am tempted to accept and use the three wheeler again when needed.... Though I do love getting a new pushchair

Cheeseandbread Tue 01-Jan-13 19:46:23

Happy New Year everyone!

Supershiv good luck for Thursday.

Ohgood glad things are more positive.

I am a first timer too so really liking advice from those who are already mums. Especially when to buy certain things... I have no idea.

I have a bit of a bump now which gets bigger throughout the day as I eat more.

I went on a lovely walk today and found myself looking at all the pushchairs...

This thread is not accepting new messages.