Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

December 2012 - Last but not least

(282 Posts)
annelid Sat 29-Dec-12 07:54:54

New thread for us stragglers!!

ladies, I am lurking to cheer you all on in your triumphs but will de-lurk to say this: wear incontinence pants! DO IT! grin
no messing about with layering pads, no extra washing, no worrying about leaks in the sheets, and they are soft and padded and comfy. nappies for everyone!grin
treat yourself to 4-5 days of incontinence pants.(think I changed mine 9 times first day, maybe 5-6 times today,once or twice overnight). It's probably the best tip I got before DS1 was born and I tell all my pg friends about it and then wonder why they don't call smile
Second time around I am even.more glad of them and was so so relieved to be wearing them after my waters broke on the way to hospital as when I wanted to push on the way in, I probably weed a bit but no one knows and the car is unscathed!

seriously- get yourself some big nappies and relax about lochia . It is a freaky amount of blood (specially in the first 2 days) but incontinence pants can handle anything! grin

yuletopian99 Sun 30-Dec-12 03:13:44

Great news bunty and stacks! (just found the new thread)

We are now at home having been discharged today due to them keeping me in one more night for Proof Of Wee.. Will write birth story after this but on hospital bags-
Pack at least 5 vests and 5 babygros (with arms & legs,) Oz was born at 40+12 and has been chucking up mucas ever since, so got through a lot of clothing v fast.. I packed two sets of pjs and umpteen black pants but have more or less got away with using half this. Maybe bleeding better than expected or just luck..

MyDaydream Sun 30-Dec-12 08:49:25

emily I'm going to show up today looking like I'm moving in, but I'd rather have too much than too little. I'm leaving in half an hour and still changing it around!
nutella hope your discomfort turned into something productive to get baby out.
yule congratulations on getting home, enjoy your cuddles.
I'm going in at 10 for induction but I suddenly seem incapable of getting ready!

Eek MyDaydream! Good luck! I will be checking in for updates grin

yuletopian99 Sun 30-Dec-12 08:53:25

Good luck daydream!

emilyeggs Sun 30-Dec-12 09:12:48

Good luck mydaydream we will all be routing for you grin

Hormonalhell Sun 30-Dec-12 09:32:28

Good luck mydaydreamsmile

So few of us left now

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 10:01:39

Good luck Daydream! Fingers crossed it all goes well (and quickly) for you!

The discomfort stayed but I decided it was best to get a decent nights sleep just in case. Slept great (sort of pleased and disappointed that I wasn't woken by contractions hmm) we are now on our way to the hospital for another check up... And if they still aren't happy with the amount of fluid they might induce... Although I reckon baby will have done a big wee and we'll be on our way again... The joy of seeing a different dr every time!

Good luck, daydream!

I agree re lots of vests and babygrows. Cameron is a very mucusy/sicky baby, and I've went through 5 sets already. Down to the last two, and she puked on one of them as it was going on!

I'm bleeding a lot more this time than my section - advice from me on the regard is 4 pads (!) 3 normal nighttime ones and a mat pad - 1 wrapped around the front inside of your Knicks high up, one down the middle, the other wrapped on the back inside of your pants, and then the maternity pad on top. The normal pads catch anything that might slip the maternity pad, and don't need changing as often, ESP if they're not being dirtied, but they definitely make me feel more secure.

MyDaydream Sun 30-Dec-12 11:31:33

Thanks for the well wishes, just waiting for them to set up a room then having my waters broken. Can't wait, been in a room with a woman watching the Corrie omnibus REALLY loudly since I got here.
Good luck at the Drs today nutella, hope everything is okay.

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 12:20:21

Poo bum phrfnarg! No still not enough fluid in there... Been given a part of the pill they use for inductions here. On a trace. Have to stay in the hospital but it could take anywhere between 3hrs or 3 days. Come on bean! Mummy doesn't like hospitals... And no one likes waiting around wink

They apparently aren't too full though so FX I get a private room. smile

What's yours up to Daydream? How are you doing??

Walnut8 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:24:42

good luck daydream!! They are going straight to breaking waters?
I'm sure it will all go smoothly, can't wait for an update.

I'm reading and trying to keep track of the thread but no time to post!

Huge congrats and wine for all the new arrivals!! Wishing speedy birth recoveries for everyone and massive luck for those left, we are still thinking of you all, even if you do go over to Jan!!

Btw, the hospital I went to recommended the incontinence pants too. They are v comfy.

Walnut8 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:26:51

Oh nutella I hope everything goes quickly for you and everything is okay. Def fx for the private room! Why only part of the pill?

yuletopian99 Sun 30-Dec-12 12:30:04

Fx nutella, hopefully closer to the 3 hour mark!

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 12:50:43

They start with a 1/4. Then tomorrow morning a 1/2.. Then I guess the next day a whole 1?? Dunno. Wonder if they might bump it up to a second 1/4 later??

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 12:51:19

And thanks for the well wishes!!

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sun 30-Dec-12 13:00:40

Good luck Nutella hopefully the 1/4 will do it. Did they give you any indication of how they think it will go for you? When I was in they told me I would only need the 1, but told the lady opposite (36weeks) to expect to need 3. I thought that was good as it helped manage your expectations wanky work-speak so that you knew what to expect.

MyDaydream Sun 30-Dec-12 13:12:03

Had my waters broken about an hour ago and now I'm bouncing on a ball trying to get things going. I was 2cm dilated from my thursday sweep and had been having irregular contractions and a show after the one yesterday so dint see a pessary as needed. If I can get them going in the next hour I won't need a drip either. They're starting to bloody hurt but don't seem regular. DP is napping so I'm a bit bored!
nutella hope you end up being a 3 hours rather than 3 days person. Good luck. Fingers crossed for the private room.

ISpyDingDongMerrilyOnHigh Sun 30-Dec-12 13:53:52

Congratulations Bunty and welcome Cameron thanks.

Good luck Daydream and Nutella - fx it is quick for both of you.

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 14:02:58

Ooohhh that's interesting willyule... Didn't think to ask. I'll check with DP in case I missed something (poor brain trying to translate and weigh up all the options) but I'm honestly not expecting much from the 1/4 dosehmm

Daydream not at all envy of you're 2cm dilation... Honest smile

WillYuleDoTheFandango Sun 30-Dec-12 14:23:42

Daydream I recommend stairs if you have access. I was 1cm before mine and a bit of stair climbing really ramped things up.

Maybe that means they think that you'll go easily though Nutella given the small dose.

Ooh I'm so excited for you all! I'd do it again tomorrow grin, I'd have done it all over again immediately if I had to!

[bounces enthusiastically]
Good luck, good luck labouring ladies!
As I did all of this labour in an hour and a half in the back of a car hmm my advice for getting through each contraction is focus on the feel of a baby in our arms, or the little warm head on your neck as you burp one. . . just keep thinking about the end result and the process becomes a teensy bit more acceptable.
Definitely helped me when I didn't have access to any lovely pain relief, so maybe it'll do someone else some good?

And I hope you ALL have LOTS of lovely pain relief options! grin

RockabillyKitty Sun 30-Dec-12 16:08:03

Well it's my due date today so thought I'd better check in. Absolutely no signs of anything, except lots of expectant phone calls & texts hmm

Went for a longish walk up a big hill, bouncing on my ball and having a fair amount of sex blush well, it's something to do, eh?! Don't believe it'll start anything, but who knows when I'll be able to ~indulge~ for a while wink

Good luck to all. See you on the other side!

itsMYNutella Sun 30-Dec-12 16:18:45

Awww thanks willyule and blackcurrants!

Daydream I really hope everything is progressing for you! I have everything crossed!!

Well just had another half hour trace and baby is happily wriggling away but not much else seems to be going on. Apparently it's a "test dose" to see how you react to it.... So I might beg to be allowed home later to sleep (would be signing myself out against the Dr's advice...) But I know I will be more comfortable at home in my bed, of course if something happens we'll come straight in.

Stacks Sun 30-Dec-12 18:44:13

elpth just drop me a message if you want any more details about the induction/ward/midwives/care at the Simpsons. I won't bore everyone here with details (unless people are interested).

Good luck Nutella and Blackcurrants

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now