Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Sept 2013?

(1000 Posts)
legoboat Sat 22-Dec-12 19:42:12

Hello - bit early, but I definitely had two positives this morning, wanted to check on drinking vodka this evening or not. I make due date 4th Sep 2013.
I had to terminate a pregnancy in late Sep at 13ish weeks because of incompatible with life diagnosis, so hope that doesn't happen again (I have a 25% chance but hopefully I'll fall in the 75% this time).

TripleRock Thu 17-Jan-13 10:50:59

Frog I work with lots of women too. The difficulty is that my line manager has had a terrible struggle with her fertility and her mc after her last round of ivf was less than 6 months ago. I already have DD, the whole situation is completely unfair.

I have learned from mn that fertility issues are a lot more common than I thought. And when you work with lots of women, the chances are that there are those amongst them that are potentially in the same boat.

swaye Thu 17-Jan-13 10:51:03

Onelittle thank you grin Glad to be amongst you all its all a lot bewildering especially as not telling anyone yet

jemimahpuddleduck Thu 17-Jan-13 11:23:21

Congrats to you too Swaye yes this is my first too very exciting and nerve racking times! I haven't been emotional yet but there's still plenty of time smile

As onelittle said the 5+4 is how far along you are.

Sickness is easing off a bit now.

Creamtea1 Thu 17-Jan-13 11:54:51

hi all, especially hello frogchops ! remember you from TTC threads
well im 7 weeks today and had my booking in this morning. it took 50 minutes (but this isnt my first baby so hence a bit quicker). they took blood and wee and filled out lots of forms and green notes. and did blood pressure. Got to have a flu jab next week.
scan appt will be between 11 and 13 weeks and will be sent in the post. next antenatal appt is 16 weeks, then scan at 20, then appts at 24,28,32,34,36,38 - i was pleasantly surprised as thought it would be a lot less - but i am having consultant led because of pre-eclampsia last time.
Got weighed - yes i took my boots off wink and they wrote the exact BMI on the notes ie with a decimal place like xx.2 instead of rounding up or down.
also told me to take vitamin D supplement, which i never heard of before.
and gave me emmas diary, bounty pack, leaflets about screening tests, iron and breast feeding.
emmas diary and bounty went in the recycling!

frogchops Thu 17-Jan-13 12:25:13

Hi creamtea!!

I've just told my manager confused I had to due to some of the tasks I do at work/ risky places I visit. She was completely lovely, told me to be really careful, make sure I get my lunches etc. she also said she suspected hmm I duno how!! I cried like a fool, third time today confused. Still, that's that bit done. I'm going to drs tomorrow for officialness. wink

Eeeknumber3 Thu 17-Jan-13 12:25:24

Hello everyone, please can I join? Got a BFP this morning, two days after missed period. Reckon due date is 24th September. I already have two lovely children, DS is 6 and DD is 4, they are both at school now. They were only 20 months apart, so it really was hard work! This will be a whole new experience for me, as they were really babies together! Laura xxx

andadietcoke Thu 17-Jan-13 12:25:33

To those of you worried about flying, I've already done a 10 hour return flight to Texas this pg, probably around the time I would have been at highest risk for it not sticking, and I'm fine so far!

I. Feel. Sick. yesssssssssss

swaye Thu 17-Jan-13 12:37:49

Hi jemima, thank you. smile im crying at everything already but still laughing so i know it's hormones. Plucking up courage to ring doc... Atm i am in a bubble going to the doc makes it all official and real....just want to tell everyone one minute and noone the next agghhh!!! Got to get over this fragile feeling and get on with life, what am i like teehee!

swaye Thu 17-Jan-13 12:40:04

Hi eeknumber3 congrats! You are an expert now then smile i have no idea whats in store!!!

loubeebaby Thu 17-Jan-13 12:54:01

Glad we have got a nice mixture of newbies and experienced ladies :-)
Sickness has eased but tiredness still a b*stard! Trying to get on with life like you say swaye!
Good to hear about your booking in appointment creamtea!
I was hoping for a little babymoon in 2nd trimester and checked out risks of flying etc and really doesn't seem any problem in 1st or 2nd trimester. So I wouldn't worry about it. Just speak to your midwife if you want more reassurance.
Question for all the experienced Mums out there.....how soon did any of you fly long haul with a bubba? My hubbys is from the Caribbean and we would like to get out there ASAP with the baby but don't know if we are being a bit too ambitious! We were thinking of taking them around 5\6 months old??
They are not even here yet!! Im already dying for a holiday! Lolol!

jemimahpuddleduck Thu 17-Jan-13 12:55:42

andadietcoke glad you are feeling sick now in the nicest possible way! I am too although it's feeling a bit like be careful what you wish for!!

Swaye how far along are you? I'm starting to feel more confident about it now. Only my DH and DM know at the moment oh and the doctor.

MummyOfPrawn Thu 17-Jan-13 12:57:29

Just a quick question, does anybody know if we need to get the flu jab now we are pregnant?

No sickness yet, thank the lord, but I know it's only a matter of days before it arrives so I'm trying to make the most of my days. With DC1 I primarily spent weeks 7 to 20 with my head down the toilet / head in a pan / head in a handbag sized tuppaware (if I was out and about).

My symptoms up to now are:
1) Hideous skin - a dry excema type rash round my nose yet horrible spots everywhere else.
2) Getting overly emotional. I cried uncontrollably because my husband was 15 minutes late finishing work. And also couldn't stop blubbing at Attenborough's Africa when the baby elephant died. sad I'm welling up just thinking about it!

BelleEtLaBete Thu 17-Jan-13 13:03:47

Am having a little wry smile at everyone wishing for sickness. I had bad hyperemesis in my last pg and am already on meds for this one to stop me getting sick. Every wave of nausea I'm like nooooo when some of you are going yaaaaay smile

Whyriskit Thu 17-Jan-13 13:04:45

Prawn - I think they recommend it in the 2nd tri rather than the first.
I told my team leader and glad I did because I was at work when I had my bleed the other day and had to go to the EPU for a scan. Because she knew it meant she didn't have to work out what I was saying while I was crying at her!

jemimahpuddleduck Thu 17-Jan-13 13:12:44

prawn the doctor gave me my flujab when I went to tell them I was pg, thought it was a bit early but can't do any harm I suppose.

loubeebaby I did long haul (12 hours) with DD at 18 months. Everyone says evening flight is preferable but it was hell! I much prefer the morning flight.

Our flight out was evening, but the flight in was during the day. On both flights, we couldn't get a bassinet for DD because there are a limited number of them, and it's allocated by age. We had however been allocated 3 seats even though we bought 2, on both flights. You aren't allowed to let baby sleep on the floor because of health and safety. But DD can't sleep on the seats without rolling off, unless one of us keep an eye on her to stop her rolling. But on the night flight, we were really really struggling to stay awake sad. On the other hand, on the day flight, DD was very happy hanging around the toilet cubicles giving out in flight magazines and headphones. And everyone adored her. I'd much rather be awake looking after an active toddler than falling asleep myself.

I think 5/6 months is great if you are BF. (Otherwise, I think arranging enough formula for a long haul will be a real hassle). I think you'll definitely be able to get a bassinet at that age. They are also easily carried in a sling/carrier at that age too. But be warned that you have to get the baby out and buckle into your seat belt every time there's a turbulence. DD bawled her eyes out everytime we woke her from the bassinet. If you are FF, maybe wait a bit longer until solids are better established? Like 9-10 months?

Someone else might be able advice long haul with formula. I'm just guessing about the logistics of it.

Wincher Thu 17-Jan-13 13:25:15

I think I would do the long haul flight ASAP with a newborn - we flew with DS at 4 months and it was way easier than later flights at 10 months and at 22 months. They sleep so much of the time and if you're BFing you can just plug them in whenever. Four months will be out of the colicky period (if you get one) too, but before introducing solids, so no need to worry about getting hold of food etc.

Wincher Thu 17-Jan-13 13:26:00

Someone needs to start the new thread and link it here! I am no good at the whole twee title thing!

Wincher Thu 17-Jan-13 13:28:09
Daisy299 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:28:20

MummyOfPrawn, my GP also gave me the flu jab the minute I walked through the door (before my booking appointment). He said I should have it sooner rather than later.

Eeeknumber3 Thu 17-Jan-13 13:29:47

We go to Florida every year to holiday with my parents. Went with ds1 when he was about 6 months and then the following year with when he was 18 months and I was heavily pregnant. It was infinitely easier age 6 months than 18! Went following year when dd1 was 8 months and ds1 was 2 and half...that was ok again. We hopefully will be going this year with this new baby, who would be about 6 weeks! In my experience to date, the smaller the baby the easier the journey! For me toddlers have been an absolutely NIGHTMARE on a plane, as they can't sit still and throw tantrums and scream! At least little babies are easier to sooth, rather than irrational toddlers! Also, staff have been really helpful with us, both at airport and on plane and most other passengers are more sympathetic than you imagine. If they're nasty about your kids, I just am really pleasant to them, it bewilders them! Xxxx if you need any more advice just ask...and btŵ both my two were bottle fed, there is all sorts of ingenious things to help with that!

loubeebaby Thu 17-Jan-13 13:41:43

Thanks so much OneLTT, Wincer and Eeek! Great invaluable advice. I realize I am prob complete jumping the gun (im only 8w!) but hubby is desperate to see the family\friends ASAP. I just wanted to get a reality check on the whole thing.
I can totally see how a small baby (fingers crossed will be BF) would be easier to travel with. We unfort have no choice with flight times. Its morning flight on way out and night flight coming back. I just have visions of them screaming the entire plane down for 8hrs! Am also thinking would we undo their whole "routine"......if we ever managed to establish one by taking them long haul?
Thanks so much experienced Mummys....knew I could rely on you all x

LotsaTuddles Thu 17-Jan-13 13:53:16

Just had a horrible thought ..... we're all going to be 8-9 months pregnant in August!!!! I think this thought terrifies me more than getting married in June shock

kipsonline Thu 17-Jan-13 14:16:12

Hello everyone, sorry i went AWOL I've been cooped up in bed with the flu....grim! Just starting up feel human again, well, as-human-as-you-can at 7 weeks. Would thoroughly recommend the flu jab to everyone now wink am now trying to remember what i wanted to post having caught up on the thread.....
I'm another 'educationalist' too, a university lecturer, so the dates this time work well for me too (my 2 DS were born in the same week in May, which was rubbish for work!)
We have 2 flights booked in next 3 months to visit family and am not worried.. I did also fly with 2 DS without my DH when my youngest was 3 months, which on retrospect was a mistake blush (shamefully remembering managing to squirt breast milk onto poor elderly gentleman sitting next to me). Argh argh argh.
Am sure there was something more useful I wanted to say but my poorly pregnant brain has lost it! TTFN

This thread is not accepting new messages.