Would you like to be on Mumsnet's research panel? We're especially keen for parents-to-be and new parents to join. You can sign up here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive on offer for your views.

Over 30 first time mums to be club.

(213 Posts)
photographerlady Sat 22-Dec-12 11:51:51

I do not know if all the pregnant women over 30 leave work and lock themselves away but I feel bit lost in groups (Facebook pregnancy groups are a nightmare) talking work, pregnancy, commuting, buying mistakes and going through the biggest change of my life with no one in a similar situation. So any 30+ first time mums to be out there?

EggyM Tue 08-Jan-13 18:44:50

Hello olympic and jsherriff!

How has everyone's days back at work been? I am exhausted! And fed up of being sick in disgusting staff toilet...

Missikat hope your scan went well - I am also a slimming world graduate - lost 3.5 stone before my wedding. Put a stone back on over the past couple of years and have just lost it again since being pregnant... But suddenly my stomach seems to have just expanded overnight - clothes that fit me at the weekend are tight today - clearly just bloating but sure someone at work is going to guess soon! Roll on the scan next Friday...

Mayanbob Tue 08-Jan-13 19:06:49

Welcome Olympic

Hugs to you Eggy... thankfully I am only mildly nauseous at worst, but that sounds grim and I really think of you. Work for me is not so bad, I am thankful of something to take my mind off of miscarriages. Although I am slightly distracted and prone to random acts of madness.

I told someone at work today. She is a mum and my age (although had her baba a couple of years ago). Still, it's good to be able to tell someone... STILL no booking appointment though sad xx

Teapig Tue 08-Jan-13 19:23:52

Welcome to the new joiners!

missikat hope the scan went well today.
eggy I hope the sickness clears off soon, sounds horrible.

So much for my new year's resolution to enjoy being pregnant and stop worrying. I ended up calling antenatal triage on Sunday night as I hadn't felt movement in 24 hours. Tried all the usual tricks to get baby moving but nothing so they said come straight in.

We were taken into a delivery suite which freaked me out slightly, it really made the reality of having to give birth hit home. We were seen by a lovely MW who listened to baby's heart beat for a good five mins and pointed out lots of movement that I just couldn't feel, damned anterior placenta. MW said she wasn't worried and I've felt movement again since so guess our little one was just messing with us.

Hope everyone else is doing well and staying as worry-free as poss.

26 weeks tomorrow and already counting down until my maternity leave.

TwoOfThree Tue 08-Jan-13 19:42:08

Hello Ladies can I join you?

I'm thirty three and 14 weeks tomorrow with my first. Professional worrier and compulsive symptom googler. Working full time hopefully as long as I can but not told work yet, trying to pluck the courage! Had my first scan last Saturday.

Motherhood here we come!

HazleNutt Tue 08-Jan-13 21:31:01

Hi can I join? I'm 34 and 16 weeks - was hanging with some other graduates in our conception thread, but we got a bit too busy discussing prams and were kindly evicted.

So hopefully this is a safe place to whine about weight gain and scans that are not coming up soon enough?

Rache1S Tue 08-Jan-13 21:54:50

<follows Hazle in>
Hi ladies, I hope there's room for another? I am 34 and 15+6 with #1 grin

janey1234 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:56:21

Can I join too? Also been evicted along with hazle! I'm 14 weeks pg, and a bloody ancient 38 years old

HettySunshine Tue 08-Jan-13 21:57:23

You're most welcome. Pull up a chair and make yourselves at home. grin

HettySunshine Tue 08-Jan-13 22:01:33

How's everyone doing?

I told mum today (by phone - she lives far away) and then we went and to dp's family this evening. It's early to do so I know (only 4+3) but we decided that these are the people we would need if anything happened. Everyone was overjoyed and it's been a wonderful evening!

I'm shattered now though! smile

Rache1S Tue 08-Jan-13 22:06:49

Thanks for the welcome Hetty.

Wow, 4+3 you must still be in shock yourelf! grin We told close family pretty much straight away as well. I don't regret it and, like you said, I would have needed to turn to them if it had all gone south in the early days.

Rache1S Tue 08-Jan-13 22:07:31

*Yourself..... I don't think there are any elves around here? Christmas is long gone!

HettySunshine Tue 08-Jan-13 22:12:09

It still doesn't feel real. I know I am pregnant but only externally - based on the test and the fact I have a midwife's appointment in a few weeks etc. Not because I really believe it's true. Do you see what I mean?

Also because I only came off the pill in November so thought it would take at least a few months.

I can't wait until I can tell my friends. Is it wrong that I want to tell them one at a time so as to be able to have maximum reaction?

BelissimaLol Tue 08-Jan-13 22:37:26

I'm also another evictee from conception, with hazle and janey!
I'm 38 (39 next week) so older than most!
I'm 10 weeks tomorrow and the scan seems to never arrive!
Been too scared to join ante natal threads but now have my elderberry friends so feel a tad safer grin

Mayanbob Tue 08-Jan-13 22:50:33

Welcome evictees!

Hetty I totally get the 'it doesn't feel real' thing. I'm est. 9 weeks tomorrow, and whilst terribly excited, I am still very terrified and still find it very surreal. I am dripfeeding information to people who don't know any other circles of friends... plus I really needed to talk to someone who had been pregnant to stop me feeling like such a lunatic.

Rache1S Tue 08-Jan-13 22:50:47

Yes I see what you mean Hetty.... and the bad news is your mindset doesn't get any better as time plods along (well mine hasn't - I've seen mine on a screen but my brain still hasn't properly registered it).

You should tell your friends however the heck you want to. It's your moment so milk it to the max! grin

Missikat Tue 08-Jan-13 23:30:01

Hey all,

I had my scan today and everything went great. I finally saw little Sprout, she/he was chilling out but had a good strong heartbeat...I feel a lot more relaxed now. As I was measuring ahead at 14 weeks 3 days I wasn't able to have the NT part of the scan so have to wait for just the blood test at 16 weeks ish, too be honest I'm not too concerned as just happy to see and hear the heartbeat. I went straight from my scan and told my boss and rest of work colleagues which was a good feeling...I hate having to hide stuff! It all went well and my boss took it well as I thought he would. Hope you're all good.

Missikat Tue 08-Jan-13 23:36:07

Hetty, I know exactly what you mean. It does feel more real now having seen something but still not 100% sunk in even now 14 weeks down the line.

Welcome to the new evictees!

Teapig, very happy all is well...must have been very stressful.

TheGreatGatsby Tue 08-Jan-13 23:47:39

I stumbled across this thread and just wanted to say congratulations to you all. I'm 37 and had my first baby eleven weeks ago, so spent most of last year feeling how you all feel now. Never thought it would happen to me, and I was/am so happy. Love my little boy more than I could ever imagine. So congrats, well done and good luck, it really is amazing! smile

Teapig Tue 08-Jan-13 23:49:56

Yay for the great scan news missikat it's so amazing to see baby on screen.

Congratulations and welcome to the new joiners!

hetty I know what you mean about it not sinking in. I've had weeks and weeks to get my head around it and still look at my bump in amazement.

Our little one has been very active this evening and I've been watching my belly move with the kicks. Amazing and only a little but freaky.

HazleNutt Wed 09-Jan-13 08:25:33

Morning - it's interesting that so many people are mentioning the lack of symptoms, same here. DH has been telling everybody that oh, all those pregnancy books talking about nausea, fatigue, emotions all over the place etc are just lying. I have tried to explain that some, or I'd even say most women indeed get them, but I don't think he believes me. I've been feeling just fine, no issues with work, sports or travelling. (well except for the constant paranoia that something is not right, which I see is also shared by many).

We told parents after 12 weeks, put the scan pic in their Christmas cards. Had told just a few friends and colleagues, but of course some of them had big mouths and once random people started congratulating me, had to tell the boss as well. She took it reasonably well - but I'm abroad and maternity leave here is just 3 months, so not like it will be a massive disruption anyway, will just have the summer off.

Rache1S Wed 09-Jan-13 09:31:16

Ok, i'm going to plough straight in with a bit of a taboo (if there is such a thing in pregnancy), but have any of you ladies experiencing issues with bladder control?
I have felt on a few occasions recently that I was getting close to a little dribble when I sneezed but didn't, but I was TMI throwing up quite violently the other day (16 weeks - will it ever end?) and a little dribble actually came out. I was horrified! This has never happened before except once on a trampoline when I was really drunk and laughing hysterically and I'm sure is due to pregnancy loosening all the muscles, but I am now worried that I am going to become one of those women who need Tena Lady for the rest of their lives. I am obsessively doing my Kegels every day and have been for a month or so but it would seem it's not working! Is it too early to work yet?

janey1234 Wed 09-Jan-13 10:19:56

Rache, I can't quite believe I'm admitting this, but yes, it happened to me on Sunday night. Just the TEENIEST bit, but rather awfully it was when I sneezed just as I had my first ever nosebleed. So after the sneeze I a was a bloody, urine-y mess. As I think I said on the other thread yesterday, what with that and my (strangely) peeling boobs, I've never felt more attractive than I do now sad

gatsby - your post made me smile. Thanks for taking the time to post.

missikat - it's magical, isn't it. I bloody loved my scan, once the nerves that there was nothing there had gone.

hazle - yes, I've had virtually no symptoms either, at least until the weekend with the peeling, peeing and nosebleed. My DP thinks it's all a walk in the park and that other women are wimps I think! Oh I say no symptoms. I have been a tad emotional - hence tears about feeling fat and horrible last night. Oops. blush

HazleNutt Wed 09-Jan-13 10:36:24

olympic , about your colleague being old at 29 - my mum's notes stated she was "elderly primigravida" when she was having me. She was 25. Good times have changed at least a bit.

Rache1S Wed 09-Jan-13 10:39:46

Janey I am so glad it's not just me! And if we're like this now, what will we be like at 36 weeks? We will have to wear a massive nappy like a sumo wrestler!
No nosebleeds yet but I have a permanently snotty nose despite not having a cold and there is sometimes a bit of red when I blow.
This pregnancy malarkey is like something out of a horror film sometimes, and that's without the piles, varicose veins that many women get when they're further along sad

EggyM Wed 09-Jan-13 18:36:37

Afternoon everyone! I haven't had any leakage as yet but now you have all worried me - should I be doing some kind of pelvic exercises? I don't want to be wearing tena lady either!!

missikat so glad your scan went well.

belissima I know what you mean about the scan seeming an age away. My 12 week scan is Friday next week and I am counting the days. Just want it to be now so I can stop the worry a little bit.

rache poor you still being sick at 16 weeks. I am feeling sorry enough for myself at (almost) 11 weeks and being really sick all the time. If it makes you feel better a good friend of mine had terrible sickness and 16 weeks was when it ended so fingers crossed it will be the same for you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now