Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Over 30 first time mums to be club.

(213 Posts)
photographerlady Sat 22-Dec-12 11:51:51

I do not know if all the pregnant women over 30 leave work and lock themselves away but I feel bit lost in groups (Facebook pregnancy groups are a nightmare) talking work, pregnancy, commuting, buying mistakes and going through the biggest change of my life with no one in a similar situation. So any 30+ first time mums to be out there?

ReikiMummy Wed 26-Dec-12 20:11:56

yup...... me here! Hi!

Supershiv1 Wed 26-Dec-12 20:31:25

And me.
FT senior management job, lots of travelling.
First baby at 37.
Can I concentrate on work? Gaah! NOPE!

Teapig Thu 03-Jan-13 08:04:38

Me too. Currently grappling with commuting and pregnancy and trying to keep focus at work while I count down to maternity leave. Still a way to go before baby arrives and yet I find myself worrying about my return to work and balancing motherhood with my career.

How far along are people? I'm 25+1

Mayanbob Thu 03-Jan-13 18:55:58

Me too! Hi everyone! I am in mid first trimester and thank god for work because it stops me being anxious over lack of symptoms. Was dreading going back after Christmas- but phew. Am having to be risk assessed at work but hopefully in secret as really don't want people knowing until I'm a bit further along. Pleased to meet y'all xxx

ella0 Thu 03-Jan-13 18:58:52

Me! Hello smile

I'm 18 weeks. Mayanbob, try not to worry; I've had no symptoms either.

Mayanbob Thu 03-Jan-13 20:25:55

Thanks ella makes me feel better!

curlyclaz13 Thu 03-Jan-13 20:32:44

33 yo first time mum here. work full time as a dispensing optician and will be going back after bub. 17 +4 and very few symptoms apart from tiredness and sciatica. do you think as you get a bit older you worry more ?

Teapig Fri 04-Jan-13 09:36:26

curly* and mayanbob I worried all the way up to my 20 week scan about lack of symptoms having previously had an mmc. Post-20 week scan I worried about not feeling movement. Now I feel kicks pretty regularly and have promised myself I'll stop worrying and enjoy it now.

I figure everyone is different, some people get lots of symptoms and some don't get any but it doesn't mean there's anything to worry about. I agree curly that as you get older you tend to worry a bit more.

Are people planning to find out what they're having? We couldn't wait so found out at the 20-week scan that we're having a girl.

EggyM Fri 04-Jan-13 11:47:19

Hi there, nice to see this thread! I'm 31, a full time secondary school teacher, will be my first and will have to go back to work after baby too. (Would so love to be a full time mum but we can't afford it!)
I'm only 10 weeks so just keeping my fingers crossed for my scan in 2 weeks. I miscarried my first pregnancy exactly a year ago and has taken us all that time to conceive again - though I know a year is nothing compared to some other people who are trying for several.

And glad to see some of you are worriers too. I think the previous miscarriage made me worry so much more but maybe it is age a little too. I know at 31 I am hardly old but my husband's niece accidentally fell pregnant last year (yes this was a massive source of bitterness for me...). She's in her early twenties and didn't seem to worry a bit that anything would go wrong. Whereas I am so aware of every twinge, symptom and lack of symptoms and worry about them all!

Teapig Fri 04-Jan-13 15:12:19

EggyM, I think an mc definitely makes you worry more. I'm similar to you: 32 and had an mmc in November 2011 during first pg. It took us until July 2012 to get upduffed again. I was very anxious up to the 12 week scan. Sending you lots of sticky bean vibes and hope the next 2 weeks doesn't drag too much.

EggyM Sat 05-Jan-13 10:14:43

Thanks teapig. Glad you are enjoying your pregnancy now - can't wait til I (fingers crossed) get to that stage!

Missikat Sun 06-Jan-13 00:58:58

Hi all, I'm new to mumsnet, just joined today on the advice of a friend who already has a baby, she said it's been really useful. I'm 32, expecting first baby (currently 13 weeks), working full time and also worrying a lot! Mostly for the same reasons, I've had hardly any symptoms up til now, only really sore boobs and that's stopped now too! I finally have my scan on Tues (8th) and it can't come soon enough, I want to see there's actually a baby in there, really paranoid about mmc or just that there's nothing there at all. I'm glad to see others are feeling the same.

EggyM Sun 06-Jan-13 11:53:10

Hi Missikat - always good to see others are worrying as much as me! Hope your scan on Tuesday goes well and it will help ease the worrying.

Mayanbob Sun 06-Jan-13 11:56:35

Hey missikat welcome to the worry club!

Good luck for Tuesday- let us know how it goes!

HettySunshine Sun 06-Jan-13 12:01:22

Hey there, I'm 33 (34 in Feb) and just found out last night that I am pregnant. I'm only 4 weeks gone but so excited!

Crickey, we're all going to be mummies!

massagegirl Sun 06-Jan-13 12:21:39

Hi ladies.
I'm 33 and 19 weeks pregnant. Am also a worrier!
Good luck to those with scans coming up!

Teapig Sun 06-Jan-13 19:13:07

Congratulations hetty! Good luck with your scan missikat.

Mayanbob Sun 06-Jan-13 23:29:48

Congrats hetty and massagegirl - good luck to those going back to work tomorrow. Hopefully this week will bring news of my scan and midwife appointments...

Am currently on the cocoa trying to be less anxious to try and get some sleep.

Those who are past the scan stage- who did you tell before scan? I want to tell everyone and noone. Have actually just told (male) boss and he's not much for pregnancy wisdom. Eee!

Pinkflipflop Sun 06-Jan-13 23:58:12

I'm 33 and 35 weeks pregnant with first baby. It's a very exciting time and I haven't really considered myself old though!! I'm a ft primary teacher and will be going back to work in September sad need the money! Am currently wishing the baby was here as at least my lack of sleep would have a purpose, ie feeding the baby as opposed to cant get blooming comfortable!

Teapig Mon 07-Jan-13 07:54:34

mayanbob, I told my parents and sisters before 12 weeks I figured if I had another mmc I'd want my family to know.

I told my boss at 10 weeks because I couldn't make a business trip for pg related reasons. I hadn't wanted to tell him so soon but he was lovely about it. I didn't tell anyone else at work until about 14 weeks because I kind of enjoyed keeping it quiet as long as I could.

pinkflipflop I hope the discomfort eases a bit and you can get some sleep.

I had my first sleepless night last night and am facing my first full 5 day week since before Christmas, with an hour+ commute each way I will be knackered come Friday. Thinking of asking to work two days a week from home from week 30.

jsherriff Mon 07-Jan-13 08:15:45

I'm 42 and expecting my first. It was a bit of a shock. I'm not sure when it's due - probably May or June, I'm waiting for a scan appointment, I didn't pay attention to periods because I didn't think I needed to. I only found out on Boxing Day. My husband had a vasectomy 15 years ago (before we met), so I thought it was the menopause blush. My doctor told me that I'm an elderly lady, which made me laugh!

Mayanbob Mon 07-Jan-13 21:41:27

Thanks teapig It's been a long time without a baby in our family (youngest niece is 25) and I am reluctant to cause a freak out. Though I will tell them however this turns out...

I don't know if it helps anyone else, but I bought a maternity bra for sleeping at it has made my nights much more comfortable. Sleep has improved dramatically. Either way, I hope that everyone has a better night tonight.

Congratulations jsherriff I can't believe the Dr said that! My mum had me when she was 43 and has been fantastic.

Missikat Tue 08-Jan-13 00:08:11

Thanks for your thoughts, think I may struggle to sleep tonight!

Congrats hetty and jsherriff, what a surprise that must have been, very happy for you both.

I found it really hard to keep my mouth shut so although I haven't yet had my scan I've pretty much told everyone except people at work (although the amount of weight I've gained may be giving it away already, seeing as I've been a slimming world advocate since last Jan as part of my wedding prep!). I don't know how people wait until 12 weeks to spill the beans!

olympicvibes Tue 08-Jan-13 00:43:12

I'm joining in! 36 and will be 28 wks on Thursday. Good luck with scan tomo missikat! Hope everyone else is well.

I had to tell work early because of nature of job but tbey were very supportive and kept all confidential. I told others at 14 wks but we had bumpy first months so wasn't til after 20 wk scan that we really felt we could tell everyone.

Got mw appoint first thing in morning then first day back at work after took some extra leave after christmas so will try to sleep soon but be good to chat on here with you all smile
Someone close to me suggested that me being an older mum had made the preg difficult...hmmm. Another woman at work told me she was classed as old at 29 when she had her baby (5 years ago) No didn't believe her either!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now