Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Christmas and the New Year will bring with them a flurry of sneeze births and we Brook No Argument! (part 14)

(986 Posts)
MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Wed 19-Dec-12 18:50:39

Thought I would treat us un a festive thread

<puts up tinsel and fairy lights>

BartletForTeamGB Wed 13-Feb-13 13:41:42

I'm measuring completely on my dates so fundal height has been perfect throughout. Had I not had growth scans already booked, then I would be happily waiting for my home birth. Every midwife who has examined me says I don't examine as large for dates or polyhydramnios!

I had growth scans from 34 weeks. My consultant is a nice, sensible chap and has said that growth scans as once offs are notoriously unreliable especially in later pregnancy and after 37 weeks, but what is concerning him is the trend. These measurements are certainly going up, both with growth and fluid, and the velocity of those measurements are going up.

He thinks part of it is my height (but I'm only a bit above average at 5ft6), and wasn't overly concerned. We were able to have a good chat about the risks. There are always risks of cord prolapse and shoulder dystocia with any labour of course, but these look to be increased with me, so I'm happy to have a hospital birth. If the scans are proved wrong and I have a normal-sized baby, that's grand and fine. We can only go on the information that have and make decisions about that, so I am okay with it all.

GreenOlives Wed 13-Feb-13 13:43:44

Well said bartlet! Don't you be beating yourself up about this boo - there is NO blame! smile

smegs I have done a lot of research on the science of growth scans due to my own experience and the truth is they are notoriously inaccurate. DS was entirely average sized according to measurements at his 20 week scan and my bump always measured fine so noone had any idea he would be big. In fact at my 40 week appt the midwife estimated Id have a 7.5lb baby! I really felt that I would have a big baby tho - I was fairly convinced that my bump was all baby iyswim. From what I've read the most reliable estimates from growth scans come when there are 3 scans done over a 2 month period (usually 28,32,36 weeks) This should demonstrate a trend. However I do remember watching a tv program on big babies where one of the consultants said trying to accurately estimate a baby's weight was about as easy as guessing how much an adult male weighed in the room next door after only being given his trouser size!! grin
little Im hoping that you just deliver the baby and that your pelvis doesn't explode!! grin Reflexology sounds lovely - can they encourage labour at all?

GreenOlives Wed 13-Feb-13 13:49:37

Meant to say I saw my useless midwife this morning. First stretch and sweep booked for at home on Mon, she won't be doing it though and couldn't give me a time for roughly when the midwife would come - just anytime between 9 and 5 shock She suggested I get someone else to do the school runs so I didn't miss the midwife! Fortunately DH is off on Mon so he can do it but that's not the point! angry Lets hope it works!

clickingtock Wed 13-Feb-13 16:04:24

Boo we all feel for you. You sound v healthy indeed. And remember you will get your beautiful brooking baby at the end of all this. thanks

Brooking for a triple sneeze soon. No crumbling pelvises allowed.

Whims my mum bangs on about pram in garden. I remind her that we have a lot of foxes here. My babies don't settle during the day without a sling in the early weeks. Must be my fault, but I don't know how else to function as crying down is not an option when they are so little. Any tips?

First smiles from Astrid here. smile She is so so scrumptious. Sadly DP now away so won't witness. DS v sad this morning. hmm

NewYearNewBoo Wed 13-Feb-13 21:56:18

Aww thanks ladies, I do keep remniding myself this will all turn out good in the end, you are all lovely thanks

Bartlet brooking you have a good night tonight and babybart shows up soon for you.

Withalittlesparkle Thu 14-Feb-13 06:55:14

Day 2 of waking up feeling like absolute death!! I seem to feel better by the time I get in to work but I'm literally using all my energy to function properly while I'm there!! Think an early finish is in order today, it would be a sick day jobby today but I have my meeting with HR to talk about mat leave!!

Any babies yet?!

BartletForTeamGB Thu 14-Feb-13 07:59:06

Lovely snuggles overnight from DS (who didn't want DH to cuddle but only me), but no baby snuggles, I'm afraid! I'm now getting nervous that they won't have space for my induction tomorrow because I just want to get on with it and all the evenings of contractions are tiring me out.

sparkle, get well soon! I think early finish and an early bed sounds like a good idea.

NewYearNewBoo Thu 14-Feb-13 08:13:31

I read the first line of your post and got all excited then Bartlet but you meant the we already know about of course. Brooking for you that you have not got much longest wait.

Sparks I agree with the good Dr!! Early night for you!

Happy valentines everyone <3 thanks

BartletForTeamGB Thu 14-Feb-13 08:42:38

Hee, hee! I know! I was a bit naughty! wink

what no babies! come on grin
so I had my scan I'm 9wks today. all looks good and my area of bleed had gone! I was actually a bit excited for the scan after all my nervous the couple of days before. I can arrange to book in with the mw now.
hope u feel better soon sparks

clickingtock Thu 14-Feb-13 11:27:06

Congrats Trick. That's wonderful news. What's your EDD?

Bartlett hope you haven't got long to go. These babies do like to keep us on tentahooks don't they? Cuddles sound lovely, per and post DC3's arrival.

Puncture here. The day DP went away. Typical. But Astrid only woke once for a feed last night and DS obeyed the groclock and emerged after 7am so almost human. Tho he had massive tantrum last night, poor lad. Missing daddy.

Who got flowers and choc? All of you I hope. thanks

TheLittleFriend Thu 14-Feb-13 11:27:54

Aaahh chooo!!

My gorgeous son Jude arrived at 9.30 weighing 7lb 15oz. Will update more later xxxx

BartletForTeamGB Thu 14-Feb-13 11:32:33

Wow! Wonderful news, Little! How did that happen?!

NewYearNewBoo Thu 14-Feb-13 11:35:39

Little that's amazing!! Congratulations, he has a lovely name too thanks

tock online calculator says 17th Sept!
wow little that came from nowhere! congratulations how wonderful. love the name btw.

Congratulations Little!

musicalmrs Thu 14-Feb-13 11:37:47

Wow, congratulations Little! smile Hope it went well, and that all's well with you and your family. Lovely name - look forward to hearing all about it, and hope you are enjoying your wonderful newborn snuggles!

Hooray, congratulations little, if anyone could do an impromptu sneeze birth it was you!! Lovely name, looking forward to a fb pic smile

Congratulations Little and what a beautiful name thanks And a valentines baby too!

clickingtock Thu 14-Feb-13 11:59:15

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanksCongrats Little, how wonderful and a fab name. Good weight too. Did he beat his sister re' length of birth? Look forward to birth story, though suspect it might be a short tale! smile

GreenOlives Thu 14-Feb-13 12:40:13

little That's amazing news!! grin thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks thanks Congratulations to you all on the sneeze arrival of lovely Jude! (great name btw) So I wonder whether the reflexology got things moving? <starts googling local reflexologists> I am also in awe of the fact that you were posting on MN within 2 hours of sneeze birth - you are officially amazing!! grin I can't wait to hear more details of the birth. Now just put your feet up and enjoy some snuggles and.a nice cup of brew

Talking of sneeze births did anybody see OBEM last night? The first birth was AMAZING! Took about 3 mins - the poor girl barely had time to get in the pool!! shock It is my intention to emulate that for babyOlives birth fat chance!

Congratulations Little what a gorgeous name. Can't wait to here all about the big sneeze thanks

ScrambledSmegs Thu 14-Feb-13 12:55:14

Wow! Congratulations Little! A sneeze birth, I presume?! Awesome name, love it grin

thanksthanksthanksthanksthanksthanks

Solars Thu 14-Feb-13 12:55:30

Yay Little Congratulations!!!! thanks

Stacks Thu 14-Feb-13 13:26:03

Congratulations Little!!

Waves to everyone else.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now