Would you like to be a member of our research panel? Join here - there's (nearly) always a great incentive offered for your views.

Christmas and the New Year will bring with them a flurry of sneeze births and we Brook No Argument! (part 14)

(986 Posts)
MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Wed 19-Dec-12 18:50:39

Thought I would treat us un a festive thread

<puts up tinsel and fairy lights>

clickingtock Fri 21-Dec-12 15:08:52

<wet fish slap, followed by warm mince pie - love - with brandy butter for Boo>Congrats on first pay cheque in new job Mr Boo.

Stacks - darn it but yes of course you get the mince pie, also with Brandy butter. You are allowed brandy butter, I am told, as it brings on labour. <ahem> Really hope the next few days bring you your bonny boy and it's all as smooth as these things can be. Excited for you that it is moving ahead now even if not in the ideal way.

Sorry to be annoyingly chuffed but tiniTock is LOA (optimal) and almost fully engaged so feeling excited and a bit less worried than I was last week when I could feel feet all over the place (ROA, I think) but had experienced the show so was thinking it could turn tricky for birth. MWs v positive about HB etc and was a v nice app with them which even DP attended (he's on a bit of leave now). Of course, I may be twiddling thumbs for a good while yet but at least I have a family Christmas (first ever where it's just us in our lovely home) to distract me. Feeling v blessed indeed.

Waves to Biccies. Hugs to all Brookers. xxx

MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Fri 21-Dec-12 15:32:41

Tock that is lovely news about tinytock, all engaged and ready to go smile

Thank you for the fish slaps and reassurance, he had a lovely lunch with no problems (I feel very silly now) blush

I had a coffee with a friend today and showed her my scan pictures and she said that she knew exactly what I was having (she didn't tell me though) because she could tell from the bone structure hmm sounds a bit odd to me!

Waves to all brookers, leaves out homemade shortbread and brew for all

clickingtock Fri 21-Dec-12 15:55:00

<nom, nom, slurp>

That's interesting innit Boo though prob' nonsense? My scan measurements for both at 20wks are almost exactly the same (this one has bigger tummy, bless) but they do 'look' different in the scan pictures. This baby is almost 'finer' looking, sharper features, than DS who was all nice and rounded/solid looking... I guess it's just that they are individuals (albeit siblings)?! I notice your friend has hedged her bets by not actually giving you a prediction of this one's sex! grin Get her to write it down in front of you and seal it in an envelope and save up for the big day!

clickingtock Fri 21-Dec-12 15:55:43

Obviously you have to look away as she's actually writing!

MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Fri 21-Dec-12 16:13:07

Tock is this one a UBB for you? if it is it would be interesting to know if the differences carry on 'down below' too grin I honestly think she is talking nonsense some people just like to think they 'know' you know hmm

Stacks Fri 21-Dec-12 17:35:37

There's all sorts of things I've forgotten to buy this Christmas - like yule logs, and mince pies.. I guess I've not thought that much about Christmas, because I've been focusing on baby arriving. I thought there'd be time after baby to come up with a shopping list of goodies etc to get delivered in plenty of time for Christmas. I'm guessing now though that there won't be any delivery slots for the main supermarkets. I bought some Ikea mulled 'wine' - it was labelled 'fruit flavoured non-alcoholic cocktail' but was surprisingly nice! We've run out now though, as DH was dubious of it's credentials. Went down really well with our friends though - especially the drivers.

I've had a bit of a funny day today. DH and I have been preparing for baby coming home - tidy up of all the rooms, unpacking the crib mattress and making up the crib bed. I think LO will probably sleep on me for the first few nights TBH, but it's nice to be prepared. For that I've also got out most of the spare/guest pillows to have on our bed so I can sleep mostly upright with baby on chest if needed.

Given how long I've had to come to the realisation I'm having a baby, it's suddenly a bit scary! Will this be our last dinner at home with just the two of us? Is this my last night of good reasonable sleep?

I'm also not really sure what to expect of the induction. I know the mechanics of it, and have read the leaflets and things. However I'm not sure if I've been booked in for inpatient or outpatient induction. Will I be coming home again at all before baby is born? Will they send DH away if nothing has happened and it gets late? Will they send me home to sleep too? I need to write all these questions down and ask tomorrow.

Oops, this has got a bit long already - I'm on the laptop and it's sooo much easier to type! However, the plan was to use the laptop so I could namecheck!

Olives thank you for the shiny new thread, it's lovely and Christmassy.

Whim I hope your evening is better than your morning. I hope the drawing was in pencil/something washable? I'm always the designated driver for things here, as I don't usually drink (even when not pregnant). I don't mind too much, but find it so much harder to stay out late when I'm not drinking, and know I have to stay awake enough to drive. I hope you have fun at your work do, even if you're the driver.

Boo hope you're feeling better soon. I managed to get another cold this week, again despite limited contact with the outside world and it's germs. I'm always nice to traffic wardens - I really don't get why people are nasty to them. It's not like they make you park illegally. Glad he had a nice lunch smile

Gen I hope they don't rush you into a CS soon, unless you're impatient for one of course. A Jan baby is just as lovely as a Christmas one, though a shame you won't get the pate and booze traditional at Christmas. I hope you've not been suffering with too much indigestion and things? I've found the last few weeks of this pg hard on my joints - they all seem to over extend now, giving me sore feet (the 'knuckles' spread out too far when I put weight on them) and now a sore hand too, along with the standard sore hips...

Smeggs lovely to see you. I hope LO is doing well. I guess I'll see you on the PN thread very soon! eek

Sparks hope you're well and the insomnia passes soon.

Nutella brooking you're LO arrives on time (or a little early?) and doesn't keep you waiting like miniStacks!

Little enjoy your dinner out, I hope you feel better for it. Really pleased LO has gone head down for you, but sorry it was so uncomfortable. They really can cause some pain when they get bigger can't they?

Tock the mince pie was lovely, thanks! Really glad miniTock is behaving well for you. miniStacks was in a great position at my scan yesterday, so my only problem now is getting him out of there.

Biscuits waves and hugs. Hope you're well, looking forward to Christmas?

I've been admitted to hospital! they're worried about risk of cord prolapse if I go into labour. plan to be made on Mon but prob section next week. posting on phone so won't write much! love to all and hope things get going soon stacks.

Stacks Sat 22-Dec-12 07:21:32

Oh Gen that's not ideal! Same thing happened to a lady on the December thread, though they just threatened to keep her in hospital till her due date (3 weeks) and do an EMCS if she went into labour... A planned section is better than that, but the risk must be quite low if you choose to wait a while? Though that means you'll be in hospital longer sad

You will get a perfect little baby soon though, the journey there is just a small part.

On that same note, I'm up having breakfast before heading in for induction. So far I think I'm just nervous, but I managed to sleep ok. Had cramps last night so hoping that means baby is close on his own.

Will keep in touch if I can.

GreenOlives Sat 22-Dec-12 07:44:10

Gen Oh no what a pain being stuck in hospital! But at least minigen is in the right place if he/she decides to start making their way out! I hope they can let you out for Christmas day though! Thinking of you, try and keep us posted.
Good luck today Stacks! smile Cramps last night sound like a good sign so Im brooking hard that DS will be a lovely easy labour and sneeze birth! grin Will be thinking of you too and looking forward to updates! Xx

MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Sat 22-Dec-12 07:57:21

Stacks and Gen all my brooking is for you both thanksthanks

TheLittleFriend Sat 22-Dec-12 08:04:29

Brooking super hard for gen and stacks xxthanks

clickingtock Sat 22-Dec-12 08:20:11

Oh Gen - shock- that's a tough one but sounds like you're in v good, cautious hands. Brooking for a good solution - and soon - and a happy Christmas for you and your family. Looking forward to miniGen being safely with us. thanks

Stacks - v excited for you and brooking that by the time they try induction you are already in labour, but if not I hope you have a good experience. I would be nervous too but it's good you're going to get your boy in your arms soon. Can't wait to meet babyStacks. thanks

Love to all.

xxx

Biscuitsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 08:27:54

<screeches in realising that brooking is urgently required>

Good luck Stacks - look forward to hearing all about it and enjoy those imminent newborn snuggles

Gen my love - I couldn't be brooking more for you! Undoubtedly a pooey time to be admitted but they will be taking the best care of you. Do you know what you would want from them on Monday? Would you prefer they schedule a date or wait for labour to start? How many weeks are you now? You're 37 or 38 or something aren't you? Take care my lovely and keep your wonderful positive outlook xxxxx thanks

<waves to everyone else>

BartletForTeamGB Sat 22-Dec-12 08:32:25

I've found you all! I was thinking the thread on "threads I'm watching" seemed a bit quiet!

generic, hope you are not getting too bored in hospital. Sounds like you are in the best place. Have you got lots of books, magazines, knitting etc to keep you occupied? Brooking for you. I have been to and assisted at a number of elective sections. They really are lovely, calm, relaxed affairs, with nice relaxed doctors, midwives and nurses, maybe nice music. They are completely different to the rush and hurry of a Category 1 emergency section.

stacks, based on friends' inductions, you are in from the time of the first pessary, but if nothing is happening overnight, they'll leave you alone to sleep and ask DH to go home to get some rest. A good friend of mine was induced for being post dates. She had the first pessary in the evening and was told that nothing would happen overnight so her husband was sent home. She was quite uncomfortable and couldn't rest, but wasn't in a huge amount of pain. Eventually about 3am, she was asking (well, begging) the nurses for paracetamol. They'd maintained for the previous few hours that there was no point examining her as the next pessary wasn't until the morning, but eventually did - and she was at 10cm. They had to call her husband, who then ran down to labour ward, where she delivered 30 minutes later! It really isn't always bad, and, as you said to generic, the important thing is not the journey but the lovely little baby at the end, who you are going to meet very very soon!

tock, I get a bit excited whenever there is a new FB update in case it is you with news. You will live-blog your entire birth, won't you...? wink

I was at the MW yesterday for a 31/40 check up and whooping cough vaccination. Everything looking good, although DS got a bit agitated about the blood pressure cuff hurting my arm even when I told him it wasn't. Going to see her again in a fortnight, growth scan the following week, and then she'll come to mine for a home visit as I think I'll book a HB again. Vomiting has been really bad though this week and my indigestion has been a lot worse, so the GP has given me some omeprazole so hopefully that will settle things down.

Yesterday wasn't a great day for all of those appointments (MW, practice nurse & GP) as it was a year since we'd had DD, but we went up to the hospital to look at the memorial book and it was lovely, in a very teary sort of way, to see her name written there.

In case DC3 isn't born at home, I've been reading the thread about the Bounty lady: http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/_chat/a1641617-just-had-a-run-in-with-the-maternity-ward-bounty-photographer#36140989 I've printed their code of conduct and will be sticking it in my notes! I am fairly chilled about most things and will have a very short birth plan that boils down to 'whatever needs to happen is fine', but I'm going to be clear that I want the Bounty lady to stay away!

Stacks Sat 22-Dec-12 09:12:20

Well, the ward has no beds so we've been sent home to wait. Nurse suggested it'll be a couple of hours, so just settling myself in the sofa. Feel really sorry for DH, he's really not a morning person and didn't get much sleep, so he's already struggling a bit. He's killing bad guys in his computer now though smile

Thank you for all the brooking, think I'm going to find an 'easy' film to watch to keep my mind off things and fall asleep to.

Bartlet sounds like a long tough day for you. Glad things were all looking good though. Really hope the omeprazole helps with the indigestion (and vomiting, though I didn't know it did that). I've been on it all through this pg, I'm a little worried this means LO will need it when he's born too.. Not least because my mum, dad and sister are all taking it, as is my FIL. Poor little tyke stands the chance of inheriting a dodgy digestive system.

Christmas movie, rom com or anime? Hmm..

Biscuitsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 10:08:03

Good luck Stacks thanksthanksthanks

MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Sat 22-Dec-12 10:26:21

Brooking for you Stacks thanks and love actually would be my movie choice smile

Gen hope you are relaxing lots and not too bored thanks

SweetieSnowball Sat 22-Dec-12 10:52:29

just popping in to add my Brooking vibes to those in need

Stacks good luck my dear, can not wait for to hear about those new born snuggles

Gen hope you get sorted soon too and don't let the boredom set in

and finally Tock I am still very excited for tinytock live birth thread too

wishing everyone else best wishes of the festive season, bye for now although I will be lurking grin

Biscuitsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 11:17:50

Yyy to love actually for a movie choice. Deffo. Love that film smile

clickingtock Sat 22-Dec-12 11:57:25

Bartlett - v sorry to think of your loss a year ago but so glad that one year on and things are looking v positive for you and your family. Sweet about your DS - is he a sensitive soul? Great news about the HB too. Brooking.

Stacks - hope the day flies by.

How you diddling Gen? Brooking.

Thanks to Bartlett, Biscuits and our star guest Sweetie - I will try to do a bit of live broadcasting grin but it's bound to be in the deepest darkest hours, if DS is anything to go by... Had some real crampy pains at night but still suspect this baby could drag things out for all of us so sorry to be a dilly-dawdler... Ho hum. Let's all have a lovely Christmas then tiniTock can make an appearance.

Doing charity fundraiser today - making hot choc for 60. Weather is terrible, wish I hadn't been so ambitious as I'm sure no one wants to come out and feed deer in the miserable rain...

Biscuitsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 13:19:15

Lots of hugs coming your way Bartlet thanks

Hope gen and stacks are both doing ok xxx

Stacks Sat 22-Dec-12 16:45:49

Hey. Well I'm back home now. Finally got the call to come in at about 2pm, then had a trace (all good, interestingly showing 'tightenings' every 7-9 mins consistently) before doctor came and put in some kind of tape thing. He was verging on brutal with how he did it. Hoping I don't see him again! Had another trace, and now back home for the night. Midwife and doctor don't expect labour within the next 24h, but if I do go into labour I just call them and go back to the ward.

So, home for dominoes pizza and a movie I think, with lots of ball bouncing. Oh, also, they're going to phone me at 3:30am to check how I am sad so early night tonight!

Biscuitsandtinsel Sat 22-Dec-12 17:04:13

Good luck Stacks - like the sound of those 7-9 min tightenings! Could you feel them?

And hope that rough doc is do e for Christmas now and at home put of your way smile

MissLToeishavingsantasbabyboo Sat 22-Dec-12 17:21:30

Ooh Stacks that does sound promising.

Brooking that Stacks and Gen are also progressing/relaxing nicely smile

stacks hope it gets going soon!

Bartlett sorry aboutyour sad anniversary, hope you're ok.
Merritt. lovely to see you here and hope you join us properly soon.
thanks everyone for your thoughts. still no plan for me but sounds like I'll be here til mini gen is born. we'll just have to delay Christmas until we"re all back home.
tock how was your deer feeding?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now